VBA - if SELECT THEN SELECT

I am very new to VBA and access and have a question regarding a SELECT
statement. I am going to run a select (recordset - so I can loop through and
process each record) but on my SELECT I want to make sure I return at least
20 rows, otherwise I am going to change my WHERE clause to include more rows.
Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just do an inital SELECT
COUNT(*) and then decide which WHERE clause to use??
Do you have an example I can look at?
Thank you in advance!
AJ
-1
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:14:00 -0800, AJ <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

I would not first run the Count query. Rather, after you open your
recordset, write this:
(assuming your recordset variable is 'rs')
rs.MoveLast
rs.MoveFirst
if rs.RecordCount < 20 then
  Msgbox "Aarrrccchhh, not enough records!"
else
  'Normal processing
end if

The purpose of the MoveLast/MoveFirst pair is to get an accurate count
of records. Access "lazily loads" a recordset and the RecordCount
property can be inaccurate if you don't include these two lines.

-Tom.

>I am very new to VBA and access and have a question regarding a SELECT
>statement. I am going to run a select (recordset - so I can loop through and
>process each record) but on my SELECT I want to make sure I return at least
>20 rows, otherwise I am going to change my WHERE clause to include more rows.
>Is there an easy way to do this or do I need to just do an inital SELECT
>COUNT(*) and then decide which WHERE clause to use??
>Do you have an example I can look at?
>Thank you in advance!
>AJ
-3
Tom

BROWSEINFO: set (pre)selected path
Hi together, in C++.net I can do the following in a FolderBrowserDialog for the user to change f.e. the workPath for an application: FolderBrowserDialog* di=new FolderBrowserDialog(); di->RootFolder = Environment::SpecialFolder::Desktop; di->SelectedPath=workPath; In an MFC project I can do the following: BROWSEINFO bi; bi.pidlRoot = NULL; // set root to user's desktop But I did not find any possibily to pre(select) the old workPath in then structure: typedef struct _browseinfo { HWND hwndOwner; LPCITEMIDLIST pidlRoot; LPTSTR pszDisplayName; LPCTSTR lpszTi...

My selections are locked--how do I unlock them?
I'm using Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and the bottom of my page says that my selections are locked. This happens when I try to do anything. The only thing I can do is open a document, but it won't let me type or copy or anything like that. Also, little paragraph symbols have appeared all over my page. Is it a trial copy that has expired? If so, time to buy. Is it a retail copy that hasn't been actived? "ChikiMongo" <ChikiMongo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B791BF17-B602-4297-9AED-FB3FF4F976D9@microsoft.com... : I'm...

RE: Yes/No select All or select None
I have a form (continuous) where the user sees a list of all people with a yes/no checkbox beside the name. They can scroll down the list and select individuals by clicking on the Yes/No checkbox. I would like to add a button that allows the user to select all or to unselect all (select none). Any thoughts on how to accomplish this? Thank you, Kelvin Execute an Update query to set the field to Yes or No for all records. Here's the kind of code you would put into the Event Procedure for the Click event of your command button: Dim strWhere As String 'Save any changes...

VBA and Scheduled task in Outlook

Print, Merged Cells, and VBA

vba select field

VLOOKUP in VBA

Turn pc speaker on/off with vba code

Excel and VBA
I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to help learn about using Visual Basic in office. Thanks! Here's a good place to start: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Bob Sinclair" wrote: > I am very interested in learning more about using VBA in office, especially > Excel. Can you post some resources (online, books, etc) that can be used to > help learn about using Visual Basic in office. >...

Record Selection
I am working with a part number that is 10-11 alpha numeric characters. I need to focus on the 8th character which represents the color of the item and make a selection as to the color. I started looking at the "Like" function, but couldn't figure out how to have it look at the 8th character only. I am using Access 2000. Any help would be appreciated. On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:51:02 -0700, Dmario wrote: > I am working with a part number that is 10-11 alpha numeric characters. I > need to focus on the 8th character which represents the color of the item a...

Run VBA without show
I want excel to run the VBA code without showing me what it is doing. Which code should i use for that? Sub RunWithoutShow() Application.ScreenUpdating = False 'Paste the vba code here 'end of code 'Change screenupdating property to true Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub I hope this helps... Selva V Pasupathy For more on Excel, VBA, & other Resources Please visit: http://socko.wordpress.com You may also (inserting into quote from code example bellow from Socko) Use Application.Visible property to hide the application entirely Sub RunWithoutShow() Appli...

Form Controls vs VBA controls
I am new to VBA so just finding my feet, can anyone help me with th differences between an excel control (i.e. one from the form toolbox lets say a checkBox and a vba checkBox? From trying the two controls the I have noticed is that you canno capture the change event of the VBA checkbox in the code module, it ha to be done via the sheet (i.e. checkbox on sheet1, code goes in chang event on sheet1) the control is placed on, is this correct? What woul you do if you have three sheets with the same controls just differen data, do you really have to code the control 3 times? The excel control ho...

VBA Customization
Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great Plains 8.0? Thanks for all your help. open GreatPlains. Add the current window, it will add the Toolbar then add fields choose the company name on the top left after the user id. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get the name of the current company through VBA in Great >Plains 8.0? > >Thanks for all your help. > > > >. > Thanks. I tried, but I couldn't add company name to the field list. It opens up the login screen instead. Any thoughts? Thanks again. "ger...

File Selection and New file names
Question #1: When in the "Open File" dialog box of Publish 2002, the CTL and SHIFT keys do not work to select multiple files. This works in Word 2002 and Excel 2002 and also worked in Publish 2000. Is there a setting to allow this? Question #2: How do you get Publish 2002 to return to the folder of the "last" file opened when opening another file? Sometimes it returns to "My Docs", other times to the last folder (within my Docs) with apparently no logic, mostly returning to My Docs. Comment: Same as AB24U's message 1-24-05. When started using Pub...

Referencing a ComboBox in VBA
Hi, I am using Excel 2007. I want to run some code in my Workbook_Open() Sub that fills a combo box on one of my Worksheets (I will call it myCombo on mySheet). I tried the following code and it did not work: myCombo.Clear myCombo.AddItem "Item One" myCombo.AddItem "Item Two" myCombo.AddItem "Item Three" I assume that the problem is that within the Workbook_Open() Sub, the reference to myCombo is not valid. Can anyone tell me if/how I can get a valid reference to myCombo (on mySheet)? Thanks in advance, Paul Kraemer -- Paul Krae...

inserting and renaming a sheet vba
Instead of having 2 lines of code, one to insert a new sheet and one t rename it, is there a way to insert a sheet with particular name i one go -- Matt Housto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt Houston's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=451 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26717 ...

Cell Selection issue
Morning all. I'm making a user form, and want to select a cell to place my equation, then with that selection choice, offset upwards, and to the side, to select and merge two sets of two cells, each. I understand with my selection that I'd use the following: activecell.offset(0,1).select to get my first cell selection. But how do I retain that initial selection, and then offset one more up, to then merge those two cells? Thank you. I'm not 100% sure what you are wanting but I think you want to merge the cell to the right of the activecell with the cell one r...

Selection
I select row 10, then I want to select from row 10 to row 250. However, I don't want to drag my mouse all the way to row 250. Is there a short cut key to do this selection. How something similar about cell A10 to cell A250? Thanks Edit|goto (F5 or ctrl-g) type: 10:250 hit enter Or type 10:250 in the namebox (to the left of the formula bar) and hit enter. and you could use A10:A250 instead of 10:250. Richard wrote: > > I select row 10, then I want to select from row 10 to row 250. However, I > don't want to drag my mouse all the way to row 250. Is there a shor...

VBA??
Is there any way i can input certain numbers and they change to words. for example. 2001 Omagh 2002 Craigavon 2027 Housing Benefit 2036 IT Replacment any help please thanks monty If you mean you want to enter 2001 in cell A1 and have "Omagh" magically appear in its place when you hit the return key, I don't think it can be done. However, if you enter 2001 in cell A1 and have a VLOOKUP formula in cell B1, with reference data stored elsewhere in the sprdsht, that is easily done. Monty How many substitutes do you have? You are probably best to set up a separate table with ...

Need VBA code that enters the F2 Key upon entering the Field
I am using Access 2000. I understand that simply by pressing the F2 key while the cursor is in that field, you can toggle Off and ON the highlighting for that field (textbox). Can someone explain the necessary VBA code to perform this action without the user's intervention? "nytwodees" <nytwodees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E128AC11-3153-4A50-9873-F3BFACAC91B1@microsoft.com... >I am using Access 2000. > > I understand that simply by pressing the F2 key while the cursor is in > that > field, you can toggle Off and ON th...

Delete RAW properties from a multiple selection of Mailboxes at on
Dear Reader, I like to delete some RAW properties (THE ADC-Global-Names atribute) from all my mailboxes in my recipients container of my Exchagne 5.5 (sp4) Mail server. When I select more that one mailbox I cannot open the raw properties of the mailboxes. Is there a way to delete the properties of a muliple selection of mailboxes, or do I have to deletel them for all my 200 mailboxes one by one? Maybe there is a way to delete the complete ADC-Global-Names attribute from my exchange server. Can anyone help me with this subject. Kind regards, Marijn Verwijs http://support.microsoft.c...