Using Replication ID data type in VB?

Hello,

I have an Access 2003 database where I'm using the Autonumber with the
Replication ID data type and have a second table and storing that
replication id in a numeric field (also specified as teh Replication ID data
type).

I'm trying to write a VB function where I'm trying to pass in the
Replication ID and match it to another Replication ID using SQL and an ADODB
connection.  My problem is I keep getting a data type mismatch.  When I
reference the data right from the field, I get "????????" as a result.

Any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rick

0
Rico
9/26/2007 9:47:47 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Rico" <me@you.com> wrote in news:7sAKi.89925$Pd4.63508@edtnps82:

> I have an Access 2003 database where I'm using the Autonumber with
> the Replication ID data type and have a second table and storing
> that replication id in a numeric field (also specified as teh
> Replication ID data type).
>
> I'm trying to write a VB function where I'm trying to pass in the
> Replication ID and match it to another Replication ID using SQL
> and an ADODB connection.  My problem is I keep getting a data type
> mismatch.  When I reference the data right from the field, I get
> "????????" as a result.

Read this:

Replication and GUIDs, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
http://trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet011.asp?1033

That explains the kinds of problems you have with VB/VBA and Jet and
DAO and ADO in type casting. Is it a string? Or isn't? So, you end
up having to use StringFromGUID (in Access, at least) and
GUIDFromString, and, naturally, all that conversion makes things
less efficient.

Why do you think you need GUIDs? I've never needed them in any of
the dozens of replicated apps I've created in the last 10 years --
random autonumbers work just fine.

David
9/27/2007 10:42:41 PM
On Sep 27, 11:42 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> Why do you think you need GUIDs? I've never needed them in any of
> the dozens of replicated apps I've created in the last 10 years --
> random autonumbers work just fine.

If you can't answer my question, "How likely am I to get clashes with
a random INTEGER autonumber?" then I've probably answered yours <g>.

Jamie.

Jamie
10/1/2007 10:23:30 AM
Jamie Collins <jamiecollins@xsmail.com> wrote in

> On Sep 27, 11:42 pm, "David W. Fenton"
> <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Why do you think you need GUIDs? I've never needed them in any of
>> the dozens of replicated apps I've created in the last 10 years
>> -- random autonumbers work just fine.
>
> If you can't answer my question, "How likely am I to get clashes
> with a random INTEGER autonumber?" then I've probably answered
> yours <g>.

The likelihood should be pretty easy to calculate if you know
approximately how many records your tables will have in them. None
of my clients in 10 years of using replication with random
Autonumber PKs has ever experienced a PK collision.

David

MOSS licensing user type
When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for any user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent users or 10 named users? Licensing questions should really be addressed directly to Microsoft. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "James Martin" <JIT@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:E00C091C-1E97-48B5-84C5-A3828C32A16F@microsoft.com... > When a standard CAL is purchased for MOSS is it for a named user or for > any > user? If I purchase 10 CALs are they for 10 concurrent u...

error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'overloaded-function' to 'LPHANDLER_FUNCTION'
I wrote a VC program for service...In VC 6 it working fine...But In Visual Studio 2005 it got errorrs... My code is give below.... void CRRMService::ServiceMain() { int error; //MEMORYSTATUS memory; int result; ServiceStatus.dwServiceType = SERVICE_WIN32; ServiceStatus.dwCurrentState = SERVICE_START_PENDING; ServiceStatus.dwControlsAccepted = SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP | SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN; ServiceStatus.dwWin32ExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = 0; ServiceStatus.dwCheckPoint = 0; ServiceStatus.dwWaitHint ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Outlook XP VB Security Issue
Hi There I have a problem between a database program and Outlook. We are using Windows XP, Office XP, everything is service packed. Specifically, when we use the email function from the database program, it prompts as follows: "A program is trying to automatically send email on your behalf. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus ......" Yes, No, Help." The problem here is that when performing an email to potentially several hunderd or even a couple of thousand people, waiting 5 seconds each time to be able to press Y is a major drama. If ...

Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets
Hi All, I have 39 Excel Spreadsheets & there are only certain figures i woul like in each spreadsheet & they are all in the same Coloumn & row. would like these figures to go into another spreadsheet i have create how can i do this?? Is it possible? Can i transfer them over into a ne spreadsheet so within this new sheet i then can caculate them all. Woul appreciate all the help. Cheers Wil -- william444 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- william4444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3399 View this...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

Public Folder move to a new server with replication enabled
What is the best method to move replicated public folders. We have a four server env. running W2K3 EX2003. I am trying to migrate some data off two server that are running out of space. The two servers runnning out of space are replicatiing public folders. I would like to move the public stores to two new servers. What is the best way to do it with the replication intact. Can I just move the stores? Is it an option to replicate to the new servers and stop relicating the old server when the folders are created. Keeping downtime to a minimun is a primary goal. Thanks in advance for your...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...