Using decisions in Access design

Hi all,

I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this
page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usual
form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant their
own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages that
need to keep them in the same database.

Example:

I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pages.

Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of
information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same field
lengths defined.
Fields 4-10 on each page would contain different data and field lengths
would vary.

I would prefer to keep all of this in the same database if possible.

Thanks
Gil
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Gil

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you are trying to do.

Your post mentions "pages", but I'm guessing you're referring to what folks
see on a screen, rather than on a printed page.

If you have common info (e.g., name, address, phone), then several different
views still connected to that common info, one approach would be to use the
common fields as controls on a form, plus a tab control, with each "page" of
the tab control containing a different view.

Good luck!

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Gil" <Gil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this
> page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the
> usual
> form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant
> their
> own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages
> that
> need to keep them in the same database.
>
> Example:
>
> I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new
> pages.
>
> Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of
> information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same field
> lengths defined.
> Fields 4-10 on each page would contain different data and field lengths
> would vary.
>
> I would prefer to keep all of this in the same database if possible.
>
> Thanks
> Gil

0
Jeff
1/13/2010 1:30:21 PM
On Jan 13, 2:43=A0am, Gil <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this
> page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the usu=
al
> form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant th=
eir
> own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages th=
at
> need to keep them in the same database.
>
> Example:
>
> I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new pa=
ges.

> Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of
> information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same field
> lengths defined.
> Fields 4-10 on each page would contain different data and field lengths
> would vary.
>
> I would prefer to keep all of this in the same database if possible.
>
> Thanks
> Gil

Hi Gil

In addition to Jeff's suggestion, the other way of achieving something
similar would be to have the information residing in different tables
to reflect the differing purposes, but relate them back to the table
containing the "shared" fields.

As an example, if the Name, URL and Password belong to an entity
called StaffMember, then create a table called tblStaffMembers (or
whatever) containin these fields plus the Primary Key (StaffID,
perhaps). Each "page" you refer to could then be a separate form
linked to separate related tables - perhaps tblPositionInformation,
tblProjectAssignments, tblContactInfo and so on. Each of these tables
will include the StaffID field to make the relationship work.

Rather than using a tab control with multiple tabs, which can
sometimes result in a significant number of controls which are bound
in turn to a significant number of tables, I'd consider using a main
form / child form arrangement with a series of buttons (or option
buttons). Each button or option button then runs code along the lines
of:

Me.ChildForm.SourceObject=3D"fsubEmployeesPositionInfo"

where ChildForm is the name of the ChildForm control on the main form.
In this way, you've only ever got one main form and one subform in use
at any one time and the overhead may be minimised.

Does this make sense?

Andrew
--
The IT Service - Consultancy, Training and Advice
www.theitservice.co.uk

Much more maintainable approach would be to use a single table, with a field
for "role", and a "lookup table" for roles.  ?Need a new role, add a new
record in the tlkpRole table!

--

"andrewmrichards" <andrew.richards@theitservice.co.uk> wrote in message
On Jan 13, 2:43 am, Gil <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to set up an introductory page for an Access 2007 project. On this
> page would be some instructions and links to different pages with the
> usual
> form entries. Each of these pages would be different enough to warrant
> their
> own page and fields, but there would be similarities between all pages
> that
> need to keep them in the same database.
>
> Example:
>
> I have that introductory page with instructions and links to eight new
> pages.
>
> Fields 1-3 on each of the eight pages would contain identical types of
> information (Name, URL, and Password). These would have the same field
> lengths defined.
> Fields 4-10 on each page would contain different data and field lengths
> would vary.
>
> I would prefer to keep all of this in the same database if possible.
>
> Thanks
> Gil

Hi Gil

In addition to Jeff's suggestion, the other way of achieving something
similar would be to have the information residing in different tables
to reflect the differing purposes, but relate them back to the table
containing the "shared" fields.

As an example, if the Name, URL and Password belong to an entity
called StaffMember, then create a table called tblStaffMembers (or
whatever) containin these fields plus the Primary Key (StaffID,
perhaps). Each "page" you refer to could then be a separate form
linked to separate related tables - perhaps tblPositionInformation,
tblProjectAssignments, tblContactInfo and so on. Each of these tables
will include the StaffID field to make the relationship work.

Rather than using a tab control with multiple tabs, which can
sometimes result in a significant number of controls which are bound
in turn to a significant number of tables, I'd consider using a main
form / child form arrangement with a series of buttons (or option
buttons). Each button or option button then runs code along the lines
of:

Me.ChildForm.SourceObject="fsubEmployeesPositionInfo"

where ChildForm is the name of the ChildForm control on the main form.
In this way, you've only ever got one main form and one subform in use
at any one time and the overhead may be minimised.

Does this make sense?

Andrew
--
The IT Service - Consultancy, Training and Advice
www.theitservice.co.uk

0
Jeff
1/25/2010 3:08:54 PM
On Jan 25, 3:08=A0pm, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-DISCARD-HYPHEN-
TO-END> wrote:
> [...]
> linked to separate related tables - perhaps tblPositionInformation,
> tblProjectAssignments, tblContactInfo and so on. Each of these tables
> will include the StaffID field to make the relationship work.
>
> Rather than using a tab control with multiple tabs, which can
> sometimes result in a significant number of controls which are bound
> in turn to a significant number of tables, I'd consider using a main
> form / child form arrangement with a series of buttons (or option
> buttons). Each button or option button then runs code along the lines
> of:
>
> Me.ChildForm.SourceObject=3D"fsubEmployeesPositionInfo"
>
> where ChildForm is the name of the ChildForm control on the main form.
> In this way, you've only ever got one main form and one subform in use
> at any one time and the overhead may be minimised.

Hmmm... I would agree, except that the original post said that "Fields
4-10 on each page would contain different data and field lengths
would vary. "

As I saw it (and this may be a misreading of the original post) we're
dealing with significantly different kinds of information (such as
contact info or job-related info) in each of the pages. That's why I
suggested that where there is shared info it should go into one common
table, but that the info that is different in structure, data types
and purpose should not be held in a single table...

Am I mis-reading this situation? I'm happy to bow to your greater
experience, but as I see it, once the structure is right, the way I'm
suggesting wouldn't need modifying for new roles, just for whole new
types of data (such as suddenly needing to store Commission payments
info, where it hadn't been needed previously, perhaps?) which surely
SHOULD require an extra table rather than putting it into one "multi-
purpose table"?

Best regards

Andrew
--
The IT Service - Consultancy, Training and Advice
www.theitservice.co.uk
0
andrewmrichards

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Problems with accessing Reports in CRM 3.0

Using Spanish on Publisher

Permission for users to view/access GP 10 Business Portal
I need to know how to grant permissions for a user group to access/view/read all content of BP installed in a MOSS 2007 I created a group called "Dynamics BP User Group I" in Sharepoint web application (http://webportal - top level) All users in this group can access http://webportal OK Then I granted this group "READ - Can view only" access to BP site http://webportal/BP They got "an unexpected error occured" in return. Where else do I have to look into to give them the proper access? Thanks Bill ...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Somebody else accessing exchange mailbox ?
A member of staff has reason to believe that his/her email has been accessed by another party. They insist that nobody else knows their username/password. Is it possible to log access to the mailbox, maybe by IP address for example ? any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance Gary D Almost impossible to do. An event 1013 is logged when someone accesses another person's mailbox but there are lots of valide reasons for a 1013. So even if you noticed it happening then it would not carry much wait. Also, if the password is secret how would they be accessing it? Checking permiss...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Access 2003 Form Question
I have an access database that I am using for site surveys. In a nutshell, there is a header table with a date and location as the keys and a detail section with the survey results. The detail section shows a series of 30 or so questions(from a questions table) on how the site was rated. I am trying to design a form that populates a yes/no/not available type response in the detail section. The user would either click on a yes/no/NA type box or have a drop down and select the value(whichever is easiest) next to the box. After the user answers the 30 or so questions, an answers table...

Delegate access to subfolders
I need to have a delegate to my Inbox see the subfolders of my Inbox. I have followed all the steps I can find to set this up, but still the subfolders are not there. My last resort is to go to each subfolder and add the username there, but that is ridiculous. There has to be a better way. Environment: Exch 2000, Outlook 2000 C/W installation ...

What do you use Excel for?