Using Bound Control right

I know this is a basic access 101 question, but for some reason I am stumped
with how to get it to work.  I have access 2002.

I have 2 tables.  One called mbrinfo which contains various data and has an
id (mbrid) as the primary key.  The 2nd table is employers which has an
employer id (empid) as the primary key and a employer name (empname) as the
2nd column.  I am creating forms for input.  The employer table is empty of
data at the moment.  The form will have fields for both the empid and the
empname values.

I need to be able to type in the empid and name on the form and have it
record the empid in both the mbrInfo table and the employer table while
recording the empname only in the employer table.  If that empid already
exists I would like the empname to display in that field on the form.  Since
I am adding the data over time selecting from a list will not always work.

I am assuming that a bound control using a combo box is the way to go but I
cannot seem to get it to work.

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Based on your description, I'm assuming that there is a one-to-many
relationship between the employers and mbrinfo tables. You need to set up
this relationship in the Relationship window with Referential Integrity
enabled.

Next You need a form based on the employers table. On it you need to have a
subform based on the mbrinfo table. When set up this way both tables will get
populated properly to get them linked.

But there is a fly in the ointment. For this to work you MUST have an entry
in the employers table before you can put in a matching record in the mbrinfo
table.

However if there is actually a many-to-many relationship between these two
tables: a mbrid can work for more than one employer and an employer can have
more than one mbrid, then what you actually need is a third bridging (or
linking or joining) table where you have the PK from each table in a record.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Adrian" wrote:

> I know this is a basic access 101 question, but for some reason I am stumped
> with how to get it to work.  I have access 2002.
>
> I have 2 tables.  One called mbrinfo which contains various data and has an
> id (mbrid) as the primary key.  The 2nd table is employers which has an
> employer id (empid) as the primary key and a employer name (empname) as the
> 2nd column.  I am creating forms for input.  The employer table is empty of
> data at the moment.  The form will have fields for both the empid and the
> empname values.
>
> I need to be able to type in the empid and name on the form and have it
> record the empid in both the mbrInfo table and the employer table while
> recording the empname only in the employer table.  If that empid already
> exists I would like the empname to display in that field on the form.  Since
> I am adding the data over time selecting from a list will not always work.
>
> I am assuming that a bound control using a combo box is the way to go but I
> cannot seem to get it to work.

I did present this as a one to may relationship but you are right it really
should be many to many.  I will work with a join table and see if I can get
this sorted.  I was hoping to avoid a form or subform for employers since
there were only 2 data items in that table.

"Adrian" <Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:3BF3EBEF-0B1C-4A79-8932-96D11AF59789@microsoft.com...
>I know this is a basic access 101 question, but for some reason I am
>stumped
> with how to get it to work.  I have access 2002.
>
> I have 2 tables.  One called mbrinfo which contains various data and has
> an
> id (mbrid) as the primary key.  The 2nd table is employers which has an
> employer id (empid) as the primary key and a employer name (empname) as
> the
> 2nd column.  I am creating forms for input.  The employer table is empty
> of
> data at the moment.  The form will have fields for both the empid and the
> empname values.
>
> I need to be able to type in the empid and name on the form and have it
> record the empid in both the mbrInfo table and the employer table while
> recording the empname only in the employer table.  If that empid already
> exists I would like the empname to display in that field on the form.
> Since
> I am adding the data over time selecting from a list will not always work.
>
> I am assuming that a bound control using a combo box is the way to go but
> cannot seem to get it to work.

0
Risse

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Manufacturing: Quality Control
Hi, Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation before? Thanks in advance Khalid We usually recommend the Extender module to add additional information to the manufacturing modules. Extender may be able to accomplish what you want. "K M Dhariwal" wrote: > Hi, > Our client got online and finished product inspection. Great Plains does not > support it? Does anyone know of a work around or came across this situation > before? > Thanks in advance > Khal...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

CRM 4
How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activities CRM 4.0 forms. Requirement is, have to customize CRM forms to provide navigation controls (First, Previous, Next & Last) in the above mentioned forms. Is there any Webservices or any other possible ways to provide these functionalities? Try this blog post by the people at CWR Mobility: http://www.cwrmobility.nl/weblog/2005/12/adding-nextprevious-buttons-to-entity.html Should work for everything but Activities. -- MD "Ajai" wrote: > How to add Navigation controls in Accounts, Contacts and Activit...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Business Portal Viewing Rights
Is there a way in 2.5 or 3.0 to have Requistion Approvers view the request they have already approved? Tamara, Although approvers can't view purchase requests after they've been approved, the user who created a request can view its history by following these steps: 1. Open the Purchase Requests page (Employee > Purchase Requests). 2. In the Filter by list, select My completed requests and click the Go button to view your voided purchase requests or the requests that have been transferred to Microsoft Dynamics GP as purchase orders. 3. Select the request to view and click V...

What do you use Excel for?

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

Anti-spam with end-user control in mailbox
Newly joined a company and we're going to be upgrading our entire infrastructure to AD/Exchange 2003 from 2000, with Win XP and Mac OS X clients. While we're at it I'd like to replace an old and oddly scripted anti-spam solution that is flaky and difficult to support. The current model delivers a spam notification message to the user for each spam message addressed to them. This message, delivered to their inbox, includes a link to release the message, delete it, or whitelist the sender (essentially sends a reply with specific keywords and triggers a script for the action). While...

Chart using Macro
I have several sheets having similar data for different lanes. I have a macro which can create a graph I want with different series plotted in different forms for source data on a particular sheet. I want to be able to create a graph for the active sheet. How do I use ActiveSheet data as source data for the gaph. ...