Using a Check Box in a Subform to select records

I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for 
records in the subform.  The records in the subform have a bound check box.  
When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the 
subform, every record becomes checked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 
0
Utf
10/25/2007 1:44:03 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

4 Replies
904 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

Are you sure the check box is a bound control?  The behaviour you are getting 
suggests that its more likely to be unbound.  What does it say in the 
control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet?

If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour 
could be explained by a number of things:

1.  If the checkbox is bound to a column which is just one row in a table 
joined one-to-many to another table in a query. 

2.  If there is some code in the checkbox's AfterUpdate event procedure 
which is updating the values in the column in all the rows in the recordset.  
This is theoretically possible but unlikely, as its not the sort of thing 
you'd be unaware of.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Database Girl" wrote:

> I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for 
> records in the subform.  The records in the subform have a bound check box.  
> When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the 
> subform, every record becomes checked.
> 
> Any suggestions?
> 
> Thanks 

0
Utf
10/25/2007 5:04:03 PM
I figured it out.  I some how unbound the check box. OOPS.  How I have 
another issue.  I would like to add code to uncheck the records in the 
subform if the user refilters the subform using the combo box I have on the 
main form.  I am trying to uncheck on the AfterUpdate on the combo box, but I 
just can not seem to get is right.

Any hints???

"Ken Sheridan" wrote:

> Are you sure the check box is a bound control?  The behaviour you are getting 
> suggests that its more likely to be unbound.  What does it say in the 
> control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet?
> 
> If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour 
> could be explained by a number of things:
> 
> 1.  If the checkbox is bound to a column which is just one row in a table 
> joined one-to-many to another table in a query. 
> 
> 2.  If there is some code in the checkbox's AfterUpdate event procedure 
> which is updating the values in the column in all the rows in the recordset.  
> This is theoretically possible but unlikely, as its not the sort of thing 
> you'd be unaware of.
> 
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
> 
> "Database Girl" wrote:
> 
> > I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for 
> > records in the subform.  The records in the subform have a bound check box.  
> > When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the 
> > subform, every record becomes checked.
> > 
> > Any suggestions?
> > 
> > Thanks 
> 
0
Utf
10/25/2007 6:10:01 PM
Provided you can establish a criterion to identify the rows in the subform's 
underlying recordset you can execute an SQL statement in code to update the 
rows, then requery the subform.

Let's assume the subform is based on a table called MyTable and its linked 
to the parent form on columns called MyID and the column to which the 
checkbox is bound is called MyBool, then the code for the AfterUpdate event 
of the combo box in the parent form would go like this:

    Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
    Dim strSQL As String
    
    Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
    cmd.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection
    cmd.CommandType = adCmdText
    
    strSQL = "UPDATE MyTable " & _
        "SET MyBool = FALSE " & _
        "WHERE MyID = " & Me.MyID

    cmd.CommandText = strSQL
    cmd.Execute

    Me.YourSubFormControl.Requery

This assumes the MyID columns are a number data type.  If they were text 
you'd need to wrap the value in quotes:

    "WHERE MyID = """ & Me.MyID & """"

YourSubFormControl would be the name of the subform control in the parent 
form which houses the subform.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Database Girl" wrote:

> I figured it out.  I some how unbound the check box. OOPS.  How I have 
> another issue.  I would like to add code to uncheck the records in the 
> subform if the user refilters the subform using the combo box I have on the 
> main form.  I am trying to uncheck on the AfterUpdate on the combo box, but I 
> just can not seem to get is right.
> 
> Any hints???
> 
> "Ken Sheridan" wrote:
> 
> > Are you sure the check box is a bound control?  The behaviour you are getting 
> > suggests that its more likely to be unbound.  What does it say in the 
> > control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet?
> > 
> > If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour 
> > could be explained by a number of things:
> > 
> > 1.  If the checkbox is bound to a column which is just one row in a table 
> > joined one-to-many to another table in a query. 
> > 
> > 2.  If there is some code in the checkbox's AfterUpdate event procedure 
> > which is updating the values in the column in all the rows in the recordset.  
> > This is theoretically possible but unlikely, as its not the sort of thing 
> > you'd be unaware of.
> > 
> > Ken Sheridan
> > Stafford, England
> > 
> > "Database Girl" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for 
> > > records in the subform.  The records in the subform have a bound check box.  
> > > When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the 
> > > subform, every record becomes checked.
> > > 
> > > Any suggestions?
> > > 
> > > Thanks 
> > 

0
Utf
10/26/2007 9:33:00 AM
It works, thanks.

"Ken Sheridan" wrote:

> Provided you can establish a criterion to identify the rows in the subform's 
> underlying recordset you can execute an SQL statement in code to update the 
> rows, then requery the subform.
> 
> Let's assume the subform is based on a table called MyTable and its linked 
> to the parent form on columns called MyID and the column to which the 
> checkbox is bound is called MyBool, then the code for the AfterUpdate event 
> of the combo box in the parent form would go like this:
> 
>     Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
>     Dim strSQL As String
>     
>     Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
>     cmd.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection
>     cmd.CommandType = adCmdText
>     
>     strSQL = "UPDATE MyTable " & _
>         "SET MyBool = FALSE " & _
>         "WHERE MyID = " & Me.MyID
> 
>     cmd.CommandText = strSQL
>     cmd.Execute
> 
>     Me.YourSubFormControl.Requery
> 
> This assumes the MyID columns are a number data type.  If they were text 
> you'd need to wrap the value in quotes:
> 
>     "WHERE MyID = """ & Me.MyID & """"
> 
> YourSubFormControl would be the name of the subform control in the parent 
> form which houses the subform.
> 
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
> 
> "Database Girl" wrote:
> 
> > I figured it out.  I some how unbound the check box. OOPS.  How I have 
> > another issue.  I would like to add code to uncheck the records in the 
> > subform if the user refilters the subform using the combo box I have on the 
> > main form.  I am trying to uncheck on the AfterUpdate on the combo box, but I 
> > just can not seem to get is right.
> > 
> > Any hints???
> > 
> > "Ken Sheridan" wrote:
> > 
> > > Are you sure the check box is a bound control?  The behaviour you are getting 
> > > suggests that its more likely to be unbound.  What does it say in the 
> > > control's ControlSource property in its properties sheet?
> > > 
> > > If it is bound to a column in the underlying recordset then the behaviour 
> > > could be explained by a number of things:
> > > 
> > > 1.  If the checkbox is bound to a column which is just one row in a table 
> > > joined one-to-many to another table in a query. 
> > > 
> > > 2.  If there is some code in the checkbox's AfterUpdate event procedure 
> > > which is updating the values in the column in all the rows in the recordset.  
> > > This is theoretically possible but unlikely, as its not the sort of thing 
> > > you'd be unaware of.
> > > 
> > > Ken Sheridan
> > > Stafford, England
> > > 
> > > "Database Girl" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I have a Form with a subform and two combo field are used to filter for 
> > > > records in the subform.  The records in the subform have a bound check box.  
> > > > When I check one record on the subform and then move my forcus off the 
> > > > subform, every record becomes checked.
> > > > 
> > > > Any suggestions?
> > > > 
> > > > Thanks 
> > > 
> 
0
Utf
10/26/2007 12:08:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook using imap is receiving but not sending
Messages are being put in Sent folder and Send/Receive shows no errors but emails are not actually getting sent. This is a new install of Outlook on a new computer. Have I messed up the setup? "Theatre Girl" wrote in message news:64BB711F-FE56-440C-A850-DADCA8C3BA00@microsoft.com... > Messages are being put in Sent folder and Send/Receive shows no > errors but > emails are not actually getting sent. This is a new install of > Outlook on a > new computer. Have I messed up the setup? IMAP is not a sending protocol. It is used for receiving mails (out of your ...

Option to select printer B4 printing Payables Checks
Client recently upgraded from 7.5 to 9.0 and they lost the option to select a printer after clicking print. From print payables checks In 7.5 when they would click on print, a window would pop up and give them the option to select a printer to send their checks to. Now it automatically goes to their defaulted printer. How do they set up the option in 9.0? Go to the Named Printers settings, and look at the checkbox to suppress the printer dialog box. This should solve your problem Best regards Mike "TROOTBMI" <TROOTBMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Line charts using temperature and time factors
I want to create a line chart showing comparisons of heating and time. For example one item is held @ 30deg for 10secs then 100degs for 30secs while the comparison is plotted to show the difference. Help appreciated. try x-y scatter chart data-columnwise. Excelon_Ls <Excelon_Ls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B9F5547-A35C-4272-9FDC-F2CE6122D783@microsoft.com... > I want to create a line chart showing comparisons of heating and time. For > example one item is held @ 30deg for 10secs then 100degs for 30secs while the > comparison is plotted to show the diff...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?
I have a question aabout this: eg. I set row A with validation list "yes/no", i want that if choose "yes", then open a word document named "checklist.doc". Instead of using a validation list, you could use a "yes" button and a "no" button. The yes button can be linked to a macro to open the word document. The no button can be linked to a macro the will type the text "Go to next step" or something like that. "Bonny" wrote: > I have a question aabout this: > eg. > I set row A with validation list "yes...

using forms
Vista Home Premium 32 / Outlook 2007 I have created some forms that used to work. No more. On selecting a form, I get "The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact the administrator. To my knowledge, I am the administrator. This is a stand-alone PC in my residence. If I go to Manage User Accounts, it shows only 2 accounts - LastName Administrator and Guest. I have googled my problem and found references to FRMCACHE.DAT which I am told to delete and restart Outlook. Did that. Opened Outlook and tried to open a form. Same error. And FRMCACHE.DAT was not ...

Using Spanish on Publisher
I have copied and pasted a document in Spanish from Word to Publisher. Prompts keep coming up telling me that it cannot "hyphenate" this document. I'm guessing that it means since it's in another language it needs something to be able to spell-check, etc. I really don't care about checking the spelling, but the pop-ups keep interferring with my arranging the flyer I desperately need to get completed. It tells me to put in the disk and download the "hyphenate" feature. Can I download this from the net since I have no disks. Publisher came with my n...

I used Omsgclas.exe Utility and my contacts don't use then new form
I created a new form for contacts. I followed the three steps in the document How to Update Existing Items to Use a New Custom Form. I can click on Action and do new contact and the new form is used. I used Omsgclas.exe utility to change the message class of the contacts. It shows as changed. However, when I click on an old contact (previous to changing the form), A message form comes up (not the old contact form and not my new contact form). Anyone have any help how to get my new form pulled up for old messages? Note: I had a form with a ' in the name, I made a new form w...

Selecting A single Month From a Table with Multiple Months
The following code is used as the criteria in a selct query for a date field: >=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())-1,1) And <=DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date()),0) It has worked fine until the table included records from January 2010, database was created in 2009. Is there a fix or a better way to accomplish the intent? Not sure what your problem is the expressions you have return the first and last day of the prior month. So this is February 3, 2010 and the expression return 1/1/2010 and 1/31/2010. What do you want returned? What is the problem you are ha...

FormulaR1C1 using variables
I want to do this but can't: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=MyFunction(R[variable]C[variable])" What are my options? Try something like ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _ "=MyFunction(R" & CStr(variable) & "C" & CStr(variable) & ")" Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, Excel, 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:52:01 -0700, Cheah <Cheah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to do this but can't: > >ActiveCell.Fo...

Trapping Sheet selection
hello, I want to execute (in a vb6 exe) a procedure when the user selects another sheet in Excel In a Class module I use Private WithEvents mWk As Excel.Workbook Sub mWk_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) MsgBox "dsfdsfDSF" End Sub Private Sub mWk_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object) MsgBox "dsfdsfDSF" End Sub But so far, the event does not fire (although it does in VBA) Please help Avi avi explained on 8/11/2010 : > hello, > > I want to execute (in a vb6 exe) a procedure when the user selects > anothe...

Using lookup formula using more than one cell
I have a spreadsheet which lists clients by first name, last name, postcode and phone number - all in separate columns e.g. Andy Roberts M56 7HN 0161 428 3856 I have these all in one worksheets and in a named range called "Clients" On a separate worksheet (within the same workbook) I log all my enquiries. What I want to be able to do is type in to a cell the first name then in the next cell the last name and the following cells get populated with postcode and phone number based on BOTH of the first two cells by looking up the "Clients" range. I can get it...

Using XML with ASP.NET
I want to know where can I find Tutorials/Articles to learn implementing XML with asp.net. I am working on ASP.NET using C# from last one month. I have idea about XML but had not implemented yet with ASP.NET. Thanks in advance. Thanks Vinod Jajoo ...

Using secured OMA
Hi, Please help me with my misunderstanding. When I try ro connect by t68i or z600 (WAP 2.0) to OMA directly with SSL required, using mydomain.com/oma, of course, I get 403 error. When I use https://mydomain.com/oma I get "Couldn't reach the indicated web server." altough it works fine with Pocket PC. What's wrong? What should I configure to establish secured connection from mobile phone? Best regards, Vit Knyshevich. "Vit Knyshevich" <abuse_vit_knysh@hotmail.com> wrote: >Please help me with my misunderstanding. When I try ro connect by t68i or >z60...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList
Hi, I am having problems at compile time using the following line: CTypedPtrList<CPtrList, CString*> m_ClientList ; When compiled I get the following errors: emailcfgdlg.h(114) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<' emailcfgdlg.h(114) : error C2501: 'CTypedPtrList' : missing storage-class or type specifiers emailcfgdlg.h(114) : error C2059: syntax error : '<' emailcfgdlg.h(114) : error C2238: unexpected token(s) preceding ';' I am using the version 6 of the compiler with SP5. Now I think this is something to do with the c...

scatter plots using pivot table data
In older versions of Excel, you could directly create xy scatter plots using pivot table data. In Excel 2000, the chart wizard says you can't use an xy scatter plot with pivot table data. Why????? Is there any way around this limitation? Dan - Don't tell the pivot table you're making a regular chart. Select a cell away from the PT and start the chart wizard. Select the XY Scatter type you want in step 1. In step 2, use the Series tab to select the ranges for the names, X values, and Y values of each series in your chart. Make sure you don't select one of the PT but...

Using resources, how to ?
Hi guys, I am using MS Visual Studio 2005 Express ( yes, the one that u can download for free from MS website ) and I have a "little-big" problem with my program. First of all let me say that I created a simple console program, with his main and few functions, and I wish that my ..exe file can drop another .exe when launched. The other exe is another compiled program, and I wish to handle it from my main program as resource. There are some topics about handling resources, but I cannot find anything of good; I know how to use LoadResource, FindResource, etc, but both fail since I am...

Allow temporarily use of right click
I have made a databse in which I have disabled the right-click option. However, I have a form which opens reports, and I want to temporarily allow (only for the opened report) the right click option so the user can save and print the report. I have also no clue how to create a custom menu with only a few of the normal right-click options I hope my question is clear. Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com "greeknl via AccessMonster.com" <u30909@uwe> wrote in message news:71abb764263d9@uwe... >I have made a databse in which I have disabled the right-c...

Outlook stops checking email w/ "Enter Password" prompt?
Howdy, I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Professional system. My system is connected to the Internet using DSL going through a Linksys router. I have Outlook configured to check several pop3 email accounts every 15 minutes. I'm checking my DSL email account and 2 yahoo.com accounts. The Problem: Several times a day, I'll check my machine and see that there's an Outlook window displayed asking for the password to one of my Yahoo accounts with a check box to save the password. These passwords are already saved and they work, for example, if I hit cancel and the Send and R...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm�cker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Using two pictures from clipart as my background
I can't seem to get more than one clipart as my background. When I try to add another one, it overrides the first one. I want two pictures, each on half the page, and faded. Thanks. On Jan 13, 7:31=A0pm, Michele <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I can't seem to get more than one clipart as my background. When I try to= add > another one, it overrides the first one. I want two pictures, each on hal= f > the page, and faded. Thanks. You can place multiple pictures on your slide (or slide master), but each slide can only contain one as it's ...

Using stationary when Word is used as the editor
Hello, I am having a problem with stationary when using word as the email editor. What is required is for a logo to be placed as a backgroun image in the top right hand corner. this works fine in outlook using this code: <HTML> <HEAD> <STYLE> BODY { font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; color: 000000; background-position: right top; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url(Pic.jpg); } </STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY> </BODY> </HTML> However when Word is used as the email editor the background image is no longer placed in the top righ...

What do you use Excel for?
Just a general query really. Anybody willing to tell me what they use Excel for? Does anybody use it on a daily basis as part of the personal life? I'm not really looking for the reasons why people use it at the workplace, but why do people use it at home? Do you use it to manage your budgets etc???? Do you use it as a diary? Thanks in advance Excel is excellent for manipulating data. The uses are as wide as the imagination. There are people who use it to track the standings in a bowling league, others for managing a local golf tournament. One can build a loan calculator, kee...

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

Filter Subform made from query
Hi, How can i filter a subform created from a query with an unbound combo box? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200802/1 ...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...