Updating the row source of a combo

Hello,

I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my
fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the
other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to
update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update
seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my
comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I
click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How
might I solve this problem.

Thanks,
Aine.

0
aine_canby
5/28/2007 2:00:45 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On 28 May 2007 07:00:45 -0700, aine_canby@yahoo.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my
>fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the
>other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to
>update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update
>seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my
>comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I
>click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How
>might I solve this problem.

Have you tried moving the rowsource update to the beginning of the Current event procedure? Or perhaps requerying the
combo after setting the rowsource:

Me.YourCombo.Requery

Setting the RowSource should automatically force the combo to requery, but explicitly calling the Requery method may
work in this case.

Alternatively: you could use the form's Timer event to perform the requery. To me, that's a kludge but if it works ...

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com
0
Scott
5/28/2007 2:25:27 PM
I think Scott's advice is right on! You definitely need to requery your
combobox if you're going to give it a new RowSource with each record. As it
is, the requerying is only coming about after it has gained focus (by you
clicking on it.)

Answers/posts based on Access 2000

missinglinq
5/28/2007 2:44:03 PM
On 28 Maj, 16:25, Scott McDaniel <scott@NoSpam_Infotrakker.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2007 07:00:45 -0700, aine_ca...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my
> >fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the
> >other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to
> >update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update
> >seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my
> >comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I
> >click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How
> >might I solve this problem.
>
> Have you tried moving the rowsource update to the beginning of the Current event procedure? Or perhaps requerying the
> combo after setting the rowsource:
>
> Me.YourCombo.Requery
>
> Setting the RowSource should automatically force the combo to requery, but explicitly calling the Requery method may
> work in this case.
>
> Alternatively: you could use the form's Timer event to perform the requery. To me, that's a kludge but if it works ...
>
> Scott McDaniel
> scott@takemeout_infotrakker.comwww.infotrakker.com

Me.YourCombo.Requery worked, thanks. Although I was looking forward to
trying the timer option ;)

0
aine_canby
5/28/2007 2:48:54 PM
Aine,
   Since the RowSource of your combo depends on the value of several fields, I would think
you'd need to "re-examine" the combo rowsource upon the change in the value of any of
those "other" fields (ex. those field's AfterUpdate events).
   You don't indicate whether you ALWAYS have those other field values entered, and
evaluated, before the combo rowsource is established and a combo selection is made.
   If not... then you'll have to code to evaluate the other fields, and make a decision
what rowsource the combo will have, on the OnEnter event or Click event of the combobox...
as a final check in preperation for selecting a combo value.

--
hth
Al Campagna . Candia Computer Consulting . Candia, NH USA

"Find a job that you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

<aine_canby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a form which contains a comboBox representative of one of my
> fields. The options available in this comboBox are dependant on the
> other feilds for the current row. Therefore I use Form_Current to
> update the row source for the combo. The problem is that this update
> seems to happen too late. As a result, I sometimes have nothing in my
> comboBox's text box, even when I know a value should exist there. If I
> click in the combo's text box the correct value will then appear. How
> might I solve this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Aine.

0
Al

Update for MS Money 2005?

Problem with Script Updating

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Update question

Merge into same document using different data sources
I have a template file that I use as a mailer. Each week I set up my merge fields and merge from an excel data file. The following week I want everything to look exactly the same but want to merge from a different excel list. I open the publication, tell it to proceed without connection to the datasource (my old list), choose tools, mail merge, use an existing list ... and all of my perfectly placed merge fields disappear! So every time I want to use another list I have to put my merge fields in again. My headers are the same in every excel file so mapping should not be a problem. ...

How update entity in post update?

Auto color-shading of rows
Can I automate an excel worksheet such that if ,say, "436" is written in a certain cell it shades that row yellow, or if "437" is in that cell it shades the row blue. It would then be easy to visually tell in an excel chart which lines belonged to ,say, specific companies. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1" On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then With Target Select Case .Value Case 436...

Combo box show as text box
I have several forms that have Combo Box fields that I have set to Enabled=no, Locked=yes. On the form even though its not selectable it shows the dropdown selector on the right side of the box. Is there a way to hide the dropdown selector to make it just look like a text box? Thanks for any imput. ...

How to format an entire row a certain color depending on the value in a cell?
Howdy, Can anyone of you excel gods help me with the following? I have a small spreedsheet (excel 2003) set up like the following to help me keep track of my music collection: A B C D 1 Title Artist Year Format (1=LP, 2=CD, 3=Tape) 2 HardDaysNight Beatles 1966 1 3 Crossroads Eric Clapton 1985 2 I would like to know at a glance by color coding, what the ratio of LPs,CDs,&Tapes make up my collection. I've figured o...

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

[ANN] Excel X security update

The REF error upon removing interdependent row
I set up a set of equations across several rows of data that made the rows have precedents and dependents of each other. I want to delete certain rows that do not fit into the rest of the data stream, which I cannot tell until I run all the formulas. But when I do that, I get a lot of REF errors because they are looking for the removed rows. How do I avoid this problem? Don't remove those rows??? Or convert your formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values) before you delete those rows??? geezaflip wrote: > > I set up a set of equations across several rows ...

Payroll Update

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

To find the Last row
The following is the pattern of the data I have. I need to know which is the last row which has the data A1 - AAA A2- BBB A3 - <blank> A4 - CCC A5 - DDD A6 - <Blank> A7 - <Blank> A8 - <Blank> A9 - EEE. In the above example I want to get the row number as 9 as the last row which has the data. Can this be acheived by some formula. I tried COUNTA, but it does not serve my purpose. Please help. Thanks Anand ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.Excel...

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...