Updating table with query results

I have one large table Tab1 on which I'm doing some very time-
consuming calculations (by query).
I can only add new data to this table, older date can't be changed.
But on daily basis new data is appended to this table, and should also
be recalculated.
I think that it will work faster, if I do my calculations just one
time and assign them to my table (as additional column).

Example
Tab1
ID::field1
1::a
2::b
3::a
4::a

Result:
Tab1_ver2
ID::field1::newcolumn
1::a::1
2::b::1
3::a::2
4::a::3

My calculation is to create from field f1 second key by adding counter
to it.
Pieter Wijnen helped me with numbering solution:
SELECT (SELECT COUNT(*)+1 FROM P1 WHERE P1.ID < P.ID AND
P1.FIELD1=P.FIELD1)
AS ROWNUM, P.*
FROM P

Now I want to add this ROWNUM field to my table. Is it possible?

Thanks for help
Kamil

0
kamil
10/24/2007 6:57:57 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On 24 Pa , 08:57, "kamil.jedrzejew...@gmail.com"
<kamil.jedrzejew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have one large table Tab1 on which I'm doing some very time-
> consuming calculations (by query).
> I can only add new data to this table, older date can't be changed.
> But on daily basis new data is appended to this table, and should also
> be recalculated.
> I think that it will work faster, if I do my calculations just one
> time and assign them to my table (as additional column).
>
> Example
> Tab1
> ID::field1
> 1::a
> 2::b
> 3::a
> 4::a
>
> Result:
> Tab1_ver2
> ID::field1::newcolumn
> 1::a::1
> 2::b::1
> 3::a::2
> 4::a::3
>
> My calculation is to create from field f1 second key by adding counter
> to it.
> Pieter Wijnen helped me with numbering solution:
> SELECT (SELECT COUNT(*)+1 FROM P1 WHERE P1.ID < P.ID AND
> P1.FIELD1=P.FIELD1)
> AS ROWNUM, P.*
> FROM P
>
> Now I want to add this ROWNUM field to my table. Is it possible?
>
> Thanks for help
> Kamil

I just realized that query updating the table which is searched by
this query is quite senseless...
what about creating 2nd table (key conversion table) with the key from
source table and value returned by query?
Tab2
ID::newcolumn
1::1
2::1
3::2
4::3

There should be an append query (running after database refresh) which
will add new records based on ID from Tab1 and newcolumn based on
query (SELECT by Pieter) (query based on Tab1 too).
Is it possible to do that automatically, w/o any prompts?

Regards

0
kamil

Problem with Script Updating

pivot table with dynamic base data
hiya, im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table. My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the calculations. I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data anyone got any ideas how to do this? thanks loads for your help! You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html bb wrote: > hiy...

Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. 02-13-05
Hello all, using CRM 1.2 on a win2k3 server we get this error in the application event log: Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event ID: 5895 - Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. Category: none User: n/a Computer: our_exchange_server ooppps, I forgot, of course many thanks in advance for any tip! ...

Update for MS Money 2005?

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

putting data into multiple tables
Using Access 2002 and would like to enter data into form which will then send to fields in multiple tables and update them. Can this be done and how need basic explanation Why do you want to send the data to different Tables? If The Tables all belong to the same Database. ie you're not dealing with different back-end systems, you probably have a serious normalization problem. Data should normally only have to be in one table in a relational database. Pieter "Phillipa" <Phillipa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:994354EC-1216-4EEB-9CA9-D9F0880B03C5@mic...

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

Multiple Pivot Tables?
Am I able to have two different pivot tables in the same worksheet? What I am doing is I made a timesheet and we have one pivot table that counts up the Service Type and sums the Time. I now want a separate pivot table that will give me the Job Number and the total time associated with that particular job. I can't seem to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! ...

Searching database for name of table or parts thereof?
Hi there, I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can be difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables for a table name or parts thereof. How can I do that? I looked for it, but could not come up with an approach. Thank you for your help. On Mar 3, 4:14=A0pm, FSPH <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can b= e > difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables f= or > a table name or parts thereof. http://databases.aspfa...

Want to connect to web site and xfer/get results using vba
I am looking for a way to put querries in Excel then macro out to web sites and pass or get information. ...

I need help! How to concatenate and render the result?
Hi. Im stuck with this: I have a database in excel very wrongly constructed. The data whic should be in 1 cell is split in several cells. I tried to merge this cells but the data in the left extreme cell i the only thing that survives the operation. I tried using a formula, for example: =concatenate(a1;b1;c1) That works, and puts together everything in a new cell, but when I wan to copy the result and paste it to another document (the correc database file) it pastes the formula and not the result itself. Is there a way to render the result of a formula so when I click o that cell I see ju...

[ANN] Excel X security update

Set date range and filter results via form/menu for Report Preview
I created a form to use as a "print menu" for a report. You can select the date range (txtStartDate and txtStopDate). I have this part of the code working. However, I also need to be able to filter based on the job flag: [Flag] with value of 1, 2 or 3-- OR show all (still applying the date range). I created a list box on the form and named it [ReportFilter]. It's bound to the first column (hidden) with 0 for All, 1, 2 and 3 to correspond with the Flag names. I can't figure out how to get All records to show on top of not being able to incorporate with the above date range. H...