update another table afterinsert

Hi, relative newbie question:

I've got a datasheet form which I'm using for stock in/out recording
which adds a record for each stock transaction in a stock table (number
of stock in and out etc.) , I also have a total stock level field on the
products table - I want to add\subtract from the stock total in the
products table when I add a record to this stock transactions table in
the datasheet - what is the best method to do this? I was thinking do a
sql update in code on the Form_AfterInsert event - am I doing the right
thing?

--
Jyan
Jyan's Profile: 557

Jyan
12/29/2009 2:29:54 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Rather than using a calculated field, which is not normalized database
behavior and prone to error as well. Why don't you use a query with a
calculated column:

Calculation: DSum("StockIn", "TableName") - DSum("StockOut", "TableName")
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Jyan" <Jyan.43ymqk@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> Hi, relative newbie question:
>
> I've got a datasheet form which I'm using for stock in/out recording
> which adds a record for each stock transaction in a stock table (number
> of stock in and out etc.) , I also have a total stock level field on the
> products table - I want to add\subtract from the stock total in the
> products table when I add a record to this stock transactions table in
> the datasheet - what is the best method to do this? I was thinking do a
> sql update in code on the Form_AfterInsert event - am I doing the right
> thing?
>

> --
> Jyan
> Jyan's Profile: 557
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Arvin
12/29/2009 3:04:24 PM
Do you mean run an update query to update the stock total column in the
products table using the calculation shown?

--
Jyan
Jyan's Profile: 557
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Jyan
12/29/2009 3:30:08 PM
No, you do not need to store the stock total, ever. You can always calculate
it in a query, form, or report.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Jyan" <Jyan.43yq93@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> Do you mean run an update query to update the stock total column in the
> products table using the calculation shown?
>

> 'Arvin Meyer [MVP Wrote:
>> ;597682']Rather than using a calculated field, which is not normalized
>> database
>> behavior and prone to error as well. Why don't you use a query with a
>> calculated column:
>>
>> Calculation: DSum("StockIn", "TableName") - DSum("StockOut",
>> "TableName")
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> 'DataStrat - Data Strategies - The DataStrat Solution'
>> (http://www.datastrat.com)
>> 'The Access Web - Welcome' (http://www.mvps.org/access)
>> 'Access MVPs' (http://www.accessmvp.com)
>>

>> "Jyan" <Jyan.43ymqk@thecodecage.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Hi, relative newbie question:
>> >
>> > I've got a datasheet form which I'm using for stock in/out recording
>> > which adds a record for each stock transaction in a stock table
>> (number
>> > of stock in and out etc.) , I also have a total stock level field on
>> the
>> > products table - I want to add\subtract from the stock total in the
>> > products table when I add a record to this stock transactions table
>> in
>> > the datasheet - what is the best method to do this? I was thinking do
>> > sql update in code on the Form_AfterInsert event - am I doing the
>> right
>> > thing?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Jyan

>> > Jyan's Profile: 557
>> > View this thread:
>> > 'update another table afterinsert - The Code Cage Forums'
>> (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626)
>> >
>> > 'Microsoft Office Help' (&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;)
>> >

> --
> Jyan
> Jyan's Profile: 557
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Arvin
12/29/2009 4:27:04 PM
Ah yes now I see! Many thanks for the advice.

12/29/2009 5:03:02 PM
Any thoughts on my last post anyone?

--
Jyan
Jyan's Profile: 557
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Jyan
12/30/2009 10:39:29 AM
Jya:

Lets assume your products table has a numeric primary key column ProductID,
which is referenced by the stock table with a foreign key column, also
ProductID.  What you need to do is sum the StockIn values less the StockOut
values for each product.  You can do this as a computed column in a query
based on the products table, or in a computed control on a form or report
based on the same table.  In either case the expression would be the same
(all on one line):

Nz(DSum("Nz([StockIn],0) - Nz([StockOut],0)", "[StockTable]", "[ProductID] =
" & [ProductID]),0)

The Nz function is used here to take account of Nulls as, if there are no in
or out transactions for a particular product, then the DSum function would
return a Null.  Also if there is a StockIn value for a product but its
StockOut value is Null then subtracting Null from the StockIn value would
return Null, not the StockIn value.  The Nz function returns a zero in place
of a Null, so the result will be correct in all cases.

By computing the balance of stock per product from the stock movements in
this way you are always guaranteed that the figure accurately reflects the
stock movements, so you can dispense with the stock level field in the
products table.  Having such a field merely introduces redundancy, which in a
relational database is 'a bad thing' as it leaves the door open to
inconsistent data, there being no guarantee that its values and the StockIn
and StockOut values per product will tally.

You could if you wished also include a computed control using the above
expression in a form based on the stock table; it would show the balance of
stock in hand  for whatever product is the subject of the stock movement in
question.  When entering a new stock movement record it would not update of
course until the record is saved as its summing the values in the saved
records in the underlying table, so the form's current record is not included
in the sum until it is saved to the table.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Jyan wrote:
>Any thoughts on my last post anyone
>
>--
>Jya

KenSheridan
12/30/2009 5:21:37 PM
Your last post read: "Ah yes now I see! Many thanks for the advice."

What kind of thoughts were you expecting anyone to have about that?  I
thought it was polite and courteous.

If you are asking for a detail answer to some earlier technical question,
you need to be more explicit.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

"Jyan" <Jyan.4406nx@thecodecage.com> wrote in message

> Any thoughts on my last post anyone?

0
Larry
12/30/2009 6:20:58 PM
merci a tous meme les inconnus
"Jyan" <Jyan.43ymqk@thecodecage.com> a �crit dans le message de

> Hi, relative newbie question:
>
> I've got a datasheet form which I'm using for stock in/out recording
> which adds a record for each stock transaction in a stock table (number
> of stock in and out etc.) , I also have a total stock level field on the
> products table - I want to add\subtract from the stock total in the
> products table when I add a record to this stock transactions table in
> the datasheet - what is the best method to do this? I was thinking do a
> sql update in code on the Form_AfterInsert event - am I doing the right
> thing?
>

> --
> Jyan
> Jyan's Profile: 557
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
didier
1/17/2010 10:49:00 AM
Sorry? What am I supposed to have done wrong? :confused:

Larry Linson;598815 Wrote:
> Your last post read: "Ah yes now I see! Many thanks for the advice."
>
> What kind of thoughts were you expecting anyone to have about that?  I
> thought it was polite and courteous.
>
> If you are asking for a detail answer to some earlier technical
> question,
> you need to be more explicit.
>
> Larry Linson
> Microsoft Office Access MVP
>
> "Jyan" <Jyan.4406nx@thecodecage.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Any thoughts on my last post anyone?

--
Jyan
Jyan's Profile: 557
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Jyan
1/17/2010 4:20:33 PM
Jya:

Its just that we are also a little confused as to whether there are any
outstanding points on which you need advice.  You asked for any views on your
'last post', but the post previous to that simply expressed thanks (which was
good of you) but didn't ask any further questions.

I tried to address the issue in general terms, but we are not sure whether
you need anything further from us or not.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Jyan wrote:
>Sorry? What am I supposed to have done wrong? :confused:
>
>Larry Linson;598815 Wrote:
>> Your last post read: "Ah yes now I see! Many thanks for the advice."
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>> > Any thoughts on my last post anyone
>
>--
>Jya

KenSheridan
1/17/2010 5:21:35 PM
Actually if everyone looks carefully in the thread you see the following
which was what I asking if anyone had ideas on.... !

-OK I've got the following query which adds all the Stock In per
product: SELECT DISTINCT DSum("[Quantity]","[Stock Levels]","[Product] =
" & [Product]) AS [Total Stock In], [Stock Levels].Product
FROM Products INNER JOIN [Stock Levels] ON Products.[Product ID] =
[Stock Levels].Product
WHERE ((([Stock Levels].[Stock In \ Stock Out])="In"));

I can't now figure out how to subtract the sum of the records in the
same query [Stock In \ Stock Out]="Out" and what to do if there is no
record (ie make it a zero for the sum to work). Also would it be better
to have a separate Stock In and Stock Out column?-

KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com;615081 Wrote:
> Jya:
>
> Its just that we are also a little confused as to whether there are
> any
> outstanding points on which you need advice.  You asked for any views
> on your
> 'last post', but the post previous to that simply expressed thanks
> (which was
> good of you) but didn't ask any further questions.
>
> I tried to address the issue in general terms, but we are not sure
> whether
> you need anything further from us or not.
>
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
> Jyan wrote:
> >Sorry? What am I supposed to have done wrong? :confused:
> >
> >Larry Linson;598815 Wrote:
> >> Your last post read: "Ah yes now I see! Many thanks for the
> advice."

> > >--
> > >Jya
> > >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >Jyan's Profile: 55
> > >View this thread: 'ProgressBar Control - The Code Cage Forums'
> > (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=16562)
> > >
> > >[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office
> > Help[/url
> >
> > --

Jyan
Jyan's Profile: 557
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=165626

[url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Jyan
1/17/2010 6:01:48 PM
Jya:

That doesn't appear anywhere previously in the thread as I'm seeing it, which
explains the confusion.  Anyway, it looks like you have a single Quantity
column for stock movements both in and out and a column Stock In \ Stock Out
which indicates the type of transaction.  In which case to get the balance of
stock you need to sum the values of Quantity multiplied by 1 or -1 depending
on whether the stock movement is in or out, which you can do by calling the
IIf function like so:

DSum("[Quantity] * IIf([Stock In \ Stock Out] =""In"",1,-1)", "[Stock Levels]
", "[Product] = " & [Product])

Note the pairs of contiguous quotes to represent literal quotes characters
within a string expression.

However, you'd normally do this by grouping a query:

SELECT Product,
SUM(Quantity * IIf([Stock In \ Stock Out] ="In",1,-1)) AS Balance
FROM [Stock Levels]
GROUP BY Product;

Having separate stock in and stock out columns would not really make any
material difference.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Jyan wrote:
>Actually if everyone looks carefully in the thread you see the followin
>which was what I asking if anyone had ideas on.... !
>
>-OK I've got the following query which adds all the Stock In pe
>product: SELECT DISTINCT DSum("[Quantity]","[Stock Levels]","[Product]
>" & [Product]) AS [Total Stock In], [Stock Levels].Product
>FROM Products INNER JOIN [Stock Levels] ON Products.[Product ID]
>[Stock Levels].Product
>WHERE ((([Stock Levels].[Stock In \ Stock Out])="In"));
>
>I can't now figure out how to subtract the sum of the records in th
>same query [Stock In \ Stock Out]="Out" and what to do if there is n
>record (ie make it a zero for the sum to work). Also would it be bette
>to have a separate Stock In and Stock Out column?-
>
>KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com;615081 Wrote:
>> Jya:
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 35 lines]
>> > --
>
>--
>Jya

KenSheridan

Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. 02-13-05
Hello all, using CRM 1.2 on a win2k3 server we get this error in the application event log: Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event ID: 5895 - Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. Category: none User: n/a Computer: our_exchange_server ooppps, I forgot, of course many thanks in advance for any tip! ...

Update for MS Money 2005?

pivot table with dynamic base data
hiya, im trying to create a pivot table where I can change my base data (inserting or deleting rows of data) and still have this reflected in the pivot table. My solution was to use entire columns as my range for input to the pivotTable, but this means including blank rows which seems to muck up the calculations. I cant think how else i can allow for new rows to be added to the base data anyone got any ideas how to do this? thanks loads for your help! You can use a dynamic range as the source. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html bb wrote: > hiy...

Problem with Script Updating

Excel 2010 Slicer Connection / Pivot Table Problem
Working in Excel 2010 beta. I have two pivot tables created from different SSAS cubes. I have PowerPivot add in installed, but not using it for this project. The two pivot tables both share several similar dimensions. When I try to connect a given slicer to both pivot tables, the 2nd pivot table is not available in the "Pivot Table Connections" window. The only pivot table listed in the "Pivot Table Connections" is the one for which the slicer was originally created. All of the posts I've seen so far say that all the pivot tables in the workbook should appear...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

From temporary table to master table and then join this in junction table
Hello, I have imported two spreadsheets from excel to two temporary tables called "import_tbl_contract" and "import_tbl_products". I do this on daily basis and import many spreadsheets. I end up with these data: [import_tbl_contract] contract_number contract_title start_date end_date [import_tbl_products] product_number product_text price I now append these data to the following two tables: [tbl_contract] contract_id (PK) contract_title start_date end_date e.g. 1; Syringes and needles; 01-01-2010; 31-12-2010 [tbl_products] product_id ...

Update question

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

How to call another file in your xml document.
Greetings. I have an app which calls "text.xml", which is stored on a network share. Each user has different text requirements. what I want is for "text.xml" which is stored on the network, to read a file locally on the user's macine (i.e. c:\localtext\text.txt) and populate it with the local contents and display it. So for each user the content would be customized to his liking. Please let me know if this is possible and if so, how. Thank You Hemang "Hemang Shah" <v-hshah@microsoft.com> wrote: > Please let me know if this is possible and if...

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Searching database for name of table or parts thereof?
Hi there, I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can be difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables for a table name or parts thereof. How can I do that? I looked for it, but could not come up with an approach. Thank you for your help. On Mar 3, 4:14=A0pm, FSPH <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can b= e > difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables f= or > a table name or parts thereof. http://databases.aspfa...

Payroll Update

RE: Moving a Mailbox from Storage group to another SG
Hello's I'm trying to move mailboxes from one Storage group to another on the same server. I have tried using Exchange Tasks to move the mailbox. However, Exchange Tasks fails the job due to what it says are errors. I have tried using Exmerge to create a PST of the mailbox, but still need the mailbox present in the destination SG to import the PST into the mailbox. Please advice on how to perform this task. thanks Blue. are the accounts enabled? is it perhaps a "storage limit" issue? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Bluehades" <Bluehades@discussions.microsoft....

Multiple Pivot Tables?
Am I able to have two different pivot tables in the same worksheet? What I am doing is I made a timesheet and we have one pivot table that counts up the Service Type and sums the Time. I now want a separate pivot table that will give me the Job Number and the total time associated with that particular job. I can't seem to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! ...

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...