Unlimited text in text boxes

Please could someone help? I have created a database using access 2003. The
database lists local groups and has various types of respone. One of the
try to tyoe that in to the text box on the form, the box will only let me
type in a limited amount of text, (approximately 10 words). How do I change
the text box so that it has no limit on the amount of text that can been
typed in to it?

Thanks

Sarah
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Thanks for that Jeff, I'm probably being very thikc here, but how do I check
the size, I looked in properties but wasn't sure I was in the right place.

Sarah

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Go to the table on which the form is based.  Open the table in design view.
>
> Go to the field that corresponds to the text box on the form.  Check the
> size.  I'm guessing it is set to "50" characters.
>
> If you need up to 255, continue using a text box.  If you need something
> more ("unlimited"), change the data type to a "memo".
>
> Note that you may need to delete and re-add the text box control on your
> form (if it doesn't "pick up the fact" that the underlying field is now
> "memo".
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> www.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>
> "Devsar" <Devsar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please could someone help? I have created a database using access 2003.
> The
> > database lists local groups and has various types of respone. One of the
> > try to tyoe that in to the text box on the form, the box will only let me
> > type in a limited amount of text, (approximately 10 words). How do I
> change
> > the text box so that it has no limit on the amount of text that can been
> > typed in to it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Sarah

Jeff's talking about going into the Table Design view and looking at the
size of the table field to which the text box is bound.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

> Thanks for that Jeff, I'm probably being very thikc here, but how do I
> check
> the size, I looked in properties but wasn't sure I was in the right place.
>
> Sarah
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Go to the table on which the form is based.  Open the table in design
>> view.
>>
>> Go to the field that corresponds to the text box on the form.  Check the
>> size.  I'm guessing it is set to "50" characters.
>>
>> If you need up to 255, continue using a text box.  If you need something
>> more ("unlimited"), change the data type to a "memo".
>>
>> Note that you may need to delete and re-add the text box control on your
>> form (if it doesn't "pick up the fact" that the underlying field is now
>> "memo".
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> www.InformationFutures.net
>>
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>
>> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
>> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
>>
>> "Devsar" <Devsar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please could someone help? I have created a database using access 2003.
>> The
>> > database lists local groups and has various types of respone. One of
>> > the
>> > when
>> > try to tyoe that in to the text box on the form, the box will only let
>> > me
>> > type in a limited amount of text, (approximately 10 words). How do I
>> change
>> > the text box so that it has no limit on the amount of text that can
>> > been
>> > typed in to it?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Sarah

0
Douglas
10/29/2007 11:58:02 AM
Go to the table on which the form is based.  Open the table in design view.

Go to the field that corresponds to the text box on the form.  Check the
size.  I'm guessing it is set to "50" characters.

If you need up to 255, continue using a text box.  If you need something
more ("unlimited"), change the data type to a "memo".

Note that you may need to delete and re-add the text box control on your
form (if it doesn't "pick up the fact" that the underlying field is now
"memo".

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"Devsar" <Devsar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please could someone help? I have created a database using access 2003.
The
> database lists local groups and has various types of respone. One of the
> try to tyoe that in to the text box on the form, the box will only let me
> type in a limited amount of text, (approximately 10 words). How do I
change
> the text box so that it has no limit on the amount of text that can been
> typed in to it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sarah

0
Jeff
10/29/2007 12:00:54 PM
Wonderful, if you weren't both faceless beings on the other end of the
computer I would kiss you both, I've been trying to figure out how to do that
for the last week

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> Jeff's talking about going into the Table Design view and looking at the
> size of the table field to which the text box is bound.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "Devsar" <Devsar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for that Jeff, I'm probably being very thikc here, but how do I
> > check
> > the size, I looked in properties but wasn't sure I was in the right place.
> >
> > Sarah
> >
> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to the table on which the form is based.  Open the table in design
> >> view.
> >>
> >> Go to the field that corresponds to the text box on the form.  Check the
> >> size.  I'm guessing it is set to "50" characters.
> >>
> >> If you need up to 255, continue using a text box.  If you need something
> >> more ("unlimited"), change the data type to a "memo".
> >>
> >> Note that you may need to delete and re-add the text box control on your
> >> form (if it doesn't "pick up the fact" that the underlying field is now
> >> "memo".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Jeff Boyce
> >> www.InformationFutures.net
> >>
> >> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >>
> >> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
> >> http://microsoftitacademy.com/
> >>
> >> "Devsar" <Devsar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> The
> >> change

disable linked text boxes
I am using Publisher 2003 and I started using one of the newsletter templates. On page one there is a text box that when I change the text it will also change the text to the exact same thing in the text box on page 6 how do turn this function off without creating new text boxes. ...

How to copy/paste data in Filter Dropdown box?
Using XL 1997 (Need asnwers for both) and 2003 Good morning! Several thousand records (rows) in Col A, have but 10 different and distinct entries in Col A. Is there an easy way to essentially copy the contents of the dropdown box (from the data filter) to another portion of the worksheet? TIA Dennis You can use an Advanced Filter to extract the unique values in column A. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html Dennis wrote: > Using XL 1997 (Need asnwers for both) > and 2003 > Several thousand recor...

Text Positioning
I have a form which contains a subform. The subform contains text only. I have set the scrollbars to vertical only on the subform because the space for the subform on the form is smaller than the text, hence the need for the vertical scrollbar. For clarification... the subform height is 2 inches, the subform height on the form is 1 inch. My problem is that when the form is opened, the subform displays itself but is positioned at the bottom of the subform text, not the top. The scrollbar is there to reposition it but I need it to open with the text of the subform to be posi...

Is there a way to copy text from a published knowledgebase article?
Hello, This is a question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Our helpdesk quite often needs to pass on instructions from the knowledgebase to our people in the field. However, once a knowledgebase article has been published, copying of text from it is disabled. Is there a way to enable that feature? Sorry, if this is a basic question, but I've googled this quite extensively and I've searched through the manuals without any results. Thank you for any replies. Pete ------=_NextPart_0001_00C5BA0B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi Pete~ I am a...

Drop Down List and Check Box
Hi...I was search for this topic but don`t found the solve...Anyway I have a drop down list like this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox.txt] and this [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox2.txt] ok my questions is what is (Blanks) and (NonBlanks)...? Is it possible for me to see only all the check box that was checked or vice versa...??? How to make a total below the checkbox i mean when someone check the check box, a total number appear below the last check box [image: http://www.geocities.com/augurtrade/excel_checkbox3.txt] [image: http://www.g...

Centre align if less than one line of text
I have set up my normal style to be justified, however if there is less than one complete line of text (no wrapping) I would like that paragraph to be centre aligned. Is this possible without having to do it manually each time? I imagine I am using Word for Mac 2008. many thanks for any help in advance. -- daved2424 No, you can't define a single style to work in different ways. Assuming you are talking about an actual 1 line paragraph rather than the last line of a multi-line paragraph you'd need to have a different Style or change the alignment directly. If ...

Using TEXT and &TEXT
I'm familiar with the TEXT function, but sometimes a number will display incorrectly when I format numbers to display with a comma if 4 digits or more. For example, TEXT(F1,"0,0") will display 10 thru 999 correctly and displays 1000 correctly as 1,000, but displays 1 thru 9 as 01, 02, etc. Also wondering how to format part of a TEXT formula to underline, and bold or color selected words. Maybe you want: =text(f1,"#,###") or =text(f1,"#,##0") If this doesn't help, maybe you could post the values and what you want to see for a few exa...

combo box problems
I am having trouble with drop down combo boxes. All the combos in my app are dropping to their full length - not the length I set in the dialog editor. This happens with all combos not just one in a specific dialog but all dialogs plus combos embedded in toolbars. Any ideas? Peter Simmonds Northampton, UK ...

Help parsing HTML into text in my text box within my form
Here's an interesting problem I hope someone can help with. I am pulling in data that is displayed in one of my text boxes (set up as memo format). the data used to be in plain text from the SQL server we are pulling from. Well now, we just had to change things...Now the data pulled for this text field comes in the format of HTML and now it is displayed in my text feild in my Form as garbled, HTML How can I parse this to plain text? I have no control over the format in which the data is stored on the SQL server we are pulling this information from. There has to be a way I...

Text data
I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to calculate the number of times particular words/phrases appear in each column. I am very new to excel, so any help would be appreciated! =COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"word") replace A1:A1000 with your range and word with the word you want to count -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "excelbeginner" <excelbeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE55CF40-F3B6-42F3-918F-D200690758F6@microsoft.com... >I am entering text data into a spreadsheet and I need to know how to > calculate the nu...

adding text to existing text in whole coulumn
I need to add text to an entire column at once. I need it to go in fron of the text already in the cells. The text I need to add will be th same all the way down. I tried to add the text to one cell and the highlight the text I added only and fill down but that copied th entire cell all the way down which is bad. I just need to fill down th new text. In other words I need: dogs cats zebas to be: ****/dogs ****/cats ****/zebras Currently Im having to add the ****/ one cell at a time and its takin forever. Hope I explained that good enogh. Thamks, Terr -- mrwhite -------------------------...

Count Nonblank Text Cells
Hello. I searched for a solution to this, but couldn't quite find what I needed. I am importing data into five columns in Excel. Each of the cells is formatted as text, but most of them are blank. I want a count of the ones that are not blank. I have five columns for problem codes, so each row will have between zero and five problem codes. This is a little trickier than I thought because the problem codes can be either numbers or letters or a combination of both. How do I write a formula that says, "Look in these five cells and tell me how many of them have something meaningful...

combo box text is blank
I have a timesheet form. I have fields jobNumber and WorkCodeID. JobNumber has a description which displays only when selecting from the combo box. The job number displays on the form. The workcodeID works a little different. The workcodeID has a description which I want to display on the form, not the id. The code for my workcodeID combo box says display the description not the code, but bind the combo box workcodeID to the form workcodeID. I hide the workcodeID setting the column widths of the combo box to be 0cm;5cm etc. Now when I load the form, the historical records for w...

Compare 2 columns and delete duplicate text
I need to compare a column of 50,000 terms against a column of the 50 states to remove any state names from the terms. Is this a formula or macros? How would it be accomplished? Ex. Terms: Furniture Chairs Idaho Desks Desks in Alabama Waterbeds Florida Waterbed Store State list (to remove): Alabama Arizona Arkansas.... Hi, See CPearson Web look for Delete duplicate rows, passing the middle of the page http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm "MF" wrote: > I need to compare a column of 50,000 terms against a column of the 50 states >...

How to format number with mixed number and text?
I put the following formula into a cell: =6.65+0.15&" lb". It did what I intended, namely: add the numbers and display the result with the tag, i.e. "6.8 lb". However, the Number format seems to have no effect on the displayed result. For example, if Decimal Places is 2, the above result is still "6.8 lb", not "6.80 lb". I get more decimal places only if they are "needed". For example, =6.65+0.1511&" lb" displays 4 decimal places, even if the Number format is 2 decimal places. How can I control the format of the numeric ...

unlimited
how do i set a cell to unlimited characters? so i can enter more than 1024 charaters in (i need to enter about 5000 characters in one cell) Thank you -- please can you help... its urgent You have an active thread elsewhere. Moh wrote: > > how do i set a cell to unlimited characters? > > so i can enter more than 1024 charaters in > (i need to enter about 5000 characters in one cell) > > Thank you > -- > please can you help... its urgent -- Dave Peterson ...

extracting data from a text string of varying length
is there anyway to get a computed value for the square inches in the following cell: LightJet Mural - from Provided File (8.5X11) Normal I am trying to compute usage from parts that are named with the dimension embedded in the description - and the dimensions varies with each description. the dimension is always embedded as shown (widthxheight). the text string surrounding the numerical data vaires in length thanks for your collective wisdom, excel gurus... try using instr x=instr(string, y=instr( ' A textual comparison starting at position 4. Returns 6. MyPos = Instr(4, SearchStr...

Invert Text
Is there an easy way to invert text? For example, if A1 = "Blanche DuBois" I would like invert(A1) to equal "sioBuD ehcnalB" Thanks in advance -- Gary's Student You can use StrReverse in a User Defined Function, or in a macro http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%2352e1e%239DHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl Function ReverseText(cell) ReverseText = StrReverse(cell.Text) End Function usage: =ReverseText(A1) --- HTH, http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: ...

combp box
I have created a combo box with the hours 0:01 to 24:00, this works great for the calculation of hourly rates, however after you highlght the hours the figures all change to decimals in the combo box and in the selected cells. i have looked in the properties box for some kind of adjustment but have had no joy. any suggestions Monty ...

Outlook Message Inline Text
I have Outlook 2002 and need to know if I can change my received message format to inline text. Right now I have e-mails that have been forwarded multiple times as attachments instead of inline text but I can't synchronize it with my Pocket PC because of this. Any Suggestions? Thanks, Benny ...

Can I sort text data by reference to text data in another column?
I have imported text data (e-mail addresses) into a worksheet that also has a column of text data (also e-mail addresses), many of which, but not all, are the same as the imported text data. I wish to sort the imported text data into the rows of the matching original text data. How do I do that? The basic process would be to get all email addresses into a single column. Then select ALL columns to be sorted and use Data --> Sort and choose the column with the email addresses as the column to base the sort on. Duplicate email addresses will end up on adjacent rows. &q...

Text Rotation in Word 2007
I am trying to rotate a small text box in Word 2007. In Word Help, it says under "Rotate a picture, shape, text box, or WordArt " :- "Click the picture shape, text box or WordArt that you want to rotate. Do one of the following: Drag the rotation handle" But I can not find the rotation handle - I am going mad trying to get it to work. Sorry for being such an idiot, but can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? In addition, under the Text Box Format Menu, there is a 'Rotate' button which when you click it has all the options greyed out except &#...

Specify list items with unlimited ANDs and ORs?
My form has a list of items. I need the user to be able to select multiple items and specify the conditions using any combination of ANDs and ORs. Has anyone come up with a good (simple for user and easy to implement for me)way to do this? e.g. list contains A,B,C,D,E,F User needs to be able to specify A and (B or C) B or (C and D) etc. etc. Probably one level of parentheses will be enough. ...

constant text prefix
Is there any way I can set up a spreadsheet so that / appears in front ( with no space) of the text that I paste in the cell? On 16 Dec 2003 09:28:16 -0800, cnicholls@cantor.co.uk (chris n) wrote: >Is there any way I can set up a spreadsheet so that / appears in front >( with no space) of the text that I paste in the cell? Custom format the cell. Format/Cells/Number/Custom/Type: \/@ Note that the text string should NOT be underlined, but the @ induces the underline in this posting because of the possibility it might represent a URL. --ron ...

Failed in installing CRM 3.0 server:unknown full-text failure
Hi, i try to install CRM 3.0 server on win 2k3, sql2000 sp4. Everything is in a single machine. I'm using the trial lisence key. After passing the checklists, in the end of installation, it said MS CRM 3.0 server setup failed This is the errors in the log file: 17:05:47| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An unknown full-text failure (8007007e) occurred in function EnumCatalogs on full-text catalog ''. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at M...