unbound forms saving records in access 2003

 i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save the
record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server  Access 2003
--
RFortune
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save
> the
> record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server  Access
> 2003
> --
> RFortune

0
Baz
1/1/2008 10:42:01 AM
The data base is multi user and i tried to let users update the record on
their local pc . i managed to load the details into the unbound details to
reduce time on server but cannot work out how to save the updated details on
the back end which is located on the server . Thank you for taking the time
to respond to my email .Happy new year to you.
--
RFortune

"Baz" wrote:

> Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?
>
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save
> > the
> > record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server  Access
> > 2003
> > --
> > RFortune

Sorry, I don't understand.  You seem to be saying that you perceived some
advantage to using an unbound form, but I don't understand what.

Access is all about using bound forms and reports.  There may be the
occasional very specific situation where an unbound form is appropriate, but
if you want to use unbound forms as a general approach then Access is the
wrong tool for the job.

> The data base is multi user and i tried to let users update the record on
> their local pc . i managed to load the details into the unbound details to
> reduce time on server but cannot work out how to save the updated details
> on
> the back end which is located on the server . Thank you for taking the
> time
> to respond to my email .Happy new year to you.
> --
> RFortune
>

> "Baz" wrote:
>
>> Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?
>>
>> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save
>> > the
>> > record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server
>> > Access
>> > 2003
>> > --
>> > RFortune

0
Baz
1/1/2008 12:52:01 PM
You've overthought this thing....

The Front_End/Back_End paradigm assumes that the Front_End on each
user's desktop will link to the single shared copy of the Back_End in
a shared folder on the server.  The default open mode *must* be
"Shared".  Doing it the way implicit in your question isn't multi-user
at all.  Instead it's several independent copies of the application
that you are now trying to synchronize.

Post back if you have questions.

If you're just starting in Access development then I suggest that you
also lurk

    microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
    microsoft.public.access.tablesdesign

and that you visit www.mvps.org/access  It's a site filled with Access
developer lore and useful to developers at all levels.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The data base is multi user and i tried to let users update the
record on
> their local pc . i managed to load the details into the unbound
details to
> reduce time on server but cannot work out how to save the updated
details on
> the back end which is located on the server . Thank you for taking
the time
> to respond to my email .Happy new year to you.
> --
> RFortune
>

> "Baz" wrote:
>
> > Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?
> >
> > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish
to save
> > > the
> > > record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server
Access
> > > 2003
> > > --
> > > RFortune

0
Larry
1/1/2008 1:02:51 PM
In a multiuser environment, I had a bound form and found that ham-handed
users would leave records locked indefinitely from that form. This seemed to
wreck performance of reports and queries.

I changed the form to one with unbound controls. Now nothing is ever locked
for more than a few milliseconds and this under program control only. This
small time period is easily covered by the default retry period. My users
can now diddle on the unbound form until the cows come home without hurting
anything. (I hate users...)

I strongly recommend using unbound forms versus bound forms in a multiuser
environment. I should probably avoid absolutes...

As for updating the table from data in the unbound form, you must (what
follows is from memory, check the details, but the strategy is correct) open
the unbound form as a modal dialog, with WindowMode:=acDialog. This is
important, because now when you open the unbound form, program execution
stops and waits in the calling form.

On the unbound form, the OK button hides (Me.visible = False) but does not
close the unbound form. Execution automatically resumes in the calling form
with the unbound form still loaded.

In the calling form, you check to see if the unbound form is still loaded.
There is a simple way to do this, I forget the syntax, something like "if
CurrentProject.AllForms("formname").loaded = True". Maybe someone else could
help out here? Or I could check it at work tomorrow and get back to you.

Anyway, if the above condition is true, the unbound form is still loaded, so
you can access the controls and write their data into your table. Then close
the still-loaded form.

In the Close/Cancel button on your unbound form, just do Me.close.

Btw, unbound forms require extra work validating data. Do this from the OK
button, validate all controls from there, not from the BeforeUpdate method
of each control, which is where you would put control level validation for a
bound form.

"Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
> Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?
>
> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save
>> the
>> record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server  Access
>> 2003
>> --
>> RFortune

0
David
1/1/2008 4:13:09 PM
See comments inline.

"David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In a multiuser environment, I had a bound form and found that ham-handed
> users would leave records locked indefinitely from that form. This seemed
> to wreck performance of reports and queries.

By default Access uses optimistic locking, which means that users *cannot*
lock records indefinitely.  The only way this can happen is if you change
the form's RecordLocks property from "No Locks" (i.e. optimistic locking) to
"All Records" or "Edited Record" (either of which would be madness in a
multi-user environment).

> I changed the form to one with unbound controls. Now nothing is ever
> locked for more than a few milliseconds and this under program control
> only

Which is exactly how Access works if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
setting.

> This small time period is easily covered by the default retry period. My
> users can now diddle on the unbound form until the cows come home without
> hurting anything. (I hate users...)

As they can on a bound form if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
setting.

> I strongly recommend using unbound forms versus bound forms in a multiuser
> environment. I should probably avoid absolutes...

That's crazy.  You are simply doing bound forms wrong.  If I were building
all-unbound forms I would throw Access in the bin, bound forms and reports
are the *entire* point of Access.

0
Baz
1/1/2008 4:26:25 PM
> By default Access uses optimistic locking, which means that users *cannot*
> lock records indefinitely.

Whether or not records are locked indefinitely is not really my point. They
need not be locked for more than a few milliseconds at most, using unbound
controls.

In most situations, in a multiuser environment, I would prefer to use an
unbound form for editing records rather than allowing the user to edit the
record directly using bound controls. A user might begin editing a control,
then get up and go to lunch, leaving the record locked. I don't know how
long the record remains locked in this case, but using unbound controls it
is not locked at all.

>> I changed the form to one with unbound controls. Now nothing is ever
>> locked for more than a few milliseconds and this under program control
>> only
>
> Which is exactly how Access works if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
> setting.
>
>> This small time period is easily covered by the default retry period. My
>> users can now diddle on the unbound form until the cows come home without
>> hurting anything. (I hate users...)
>>

> As they can on a bound form if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
> setting.

I am suspicious of this statement. I think there may be an issue of degree
here.

>> I strongly recommend using unbound forms versus bound forms in a
>> multiuser environment. I should probably avoid absolutes...
>>

> That's crazy.  You are simply doing bound forms wrong.  If I were building
> all-unbound forms I would throw Access in the bin, bound forms and reports
> are the *entire* point of Access.

I'm a crazy guy. Maybe you are right. I can only say that I have noticed
fairly dramatic performance improvements in a multiuser environment when I
(mostly) switched to unbound forms for editing. I am sure you will say the
performance benefits occurs because I was doing something wrong with the
bound forms. Maybe so.

I feel a bit like Linus Pauling arguing with the medical community about the
benefits of vitamin C based mostly on personal and anecdotal evidence. All
manner of facts were thrown in his face, to which he had no good response.

I still urge the original poster to try using unbound forms (for editing
purposes) for himself. I think he will be very happy with the result.

0
David
1/2/2008 8:24:40 AM

> Whether or not records are locked indefinitely is not really my point.
> They need not be locked for more than a few milliseconds at most, using
> unbound controls.

With No Locks specified on a bound form, the record is locked for no longer
than it takes to actually perform the update.

> In most situations, in a multiuser environment, I would prefer to use an
> unbound form for editing records rather than allowing the user to edit the
> record directly using bound controls. A user might begin editing a
> control, then get up and go to lunch, leaving the record locked. I don't
> know how long the record remains locked in this case, but using unbound
> controls it is not locked at all.

No, you simply don't understand.  When a bound form's RecordLocks property
is left at the default setting of No Locks, a record is *not* locked while
the user is editing it.  It is only locked for the duration of the actual
update.  When you update a record, it *must* be locked for the duration of
the update.  Whether the update is initiated by a bound form, or by you
submitting an UPDATE query or updating a recordset, it's exactly the same:
the record *must* be locked for the (very brief) duration of the update.
But, and I stress again, unless you have changed the RecordLocks property to
Edited Record or All Records, the record is *not* locked while the user is
editing it.

>> As they can on a bound form if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
>> setting.
>
> I am suspicious of this statement. I think there may be an issue of degree
> here.

Absolutely no issue of degree or anything else: unless you specify that you
want pessimistic locking (i.e. Edited Record or All Records) there is *no*
lock on a record *except* for the very brief duration of the actual update
of the database.

> I'm a crazy guy. Maybe you are right. I can only say that I have noticed
> fairly dramatic performance improvements in a multiuser environment when I
> (mostly) switched to unbound forms for editing. I am sure you will say the
> performance benefits occurs because I was doing something wrong with the
> bound forms. Maybe so.

Exactly so.  But, whatever reason anyone might feel they have for using
unbound forms, what is crazy is persisting with using Access in such a
circumstance.  The benefits of using Access all accrue from it's wonderful
capabilities with bound forms/reports.  If you want unbound, there are much
better tools.

> I feel a bit like Linus Pauling arguing with the medical community about
> the benefits of vitamin C based mostly on personal and anecdotal evidence.
> All manner of facts were thrown in his face, to which he had no good
> response.

If you have blind faith that you are right then there is no point in
discussing it.

> I still urge the original poster to try using unbound forms (for editing
> purposes) for himself. I think he will be very happy with the result.

But I will urge the OP to ignore you on the grounds that you are completely
wrong.  He might be happy in functional terms with the results of using
unbound forms but, if they understood what was going on, I'm sure his
paymasters would not be happy with the colossal waste of time/effort/money
invested in circumventing something which Access does perfectly well anyway.

0
Baz
1/2/2008 8:48:30 AM
"David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote

 > (I hate users...)

As for me, I _love_ users.  Without users, what need would there be for our
developer services? If this stuff were easy, they'd be doing it with
minimum-wage temps from a temp service.

If you were having performance problems because of locked records, then
chances are you could have solved the problem a lot simpler, easier, and
faster by using appropriate locking options. There is just no reason for
using unbound forms in a multiuser environment unless you are trying to
squeeze the last ounce of performance before you convert to client server,
and even in that circumstance it often is a waste of effort.

Get to know your tools and you can save yourself a great deal of time and
effort... a great deal.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Access MVP

0
Larry
1/2/2008 5:47:04 PM
Thank you Larry, I was beginning to think the lunatics had taken over the
asylum.

"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> > (I hate users...)
>
> As for me, I _love_ users.  Without users, what need would there be for
> our developer services? If this stuff were easy, they'd be doing it with
> minimum-wage temps from a temp service.
>
> If you were having performance problems because of locked records, then
> chances are you could have solved the problem a lot simpler, easier, and
> faster by using appropriate locking options. There is just no reason for
> using unbound forms in a multiuser environment unless you are trying to
> squeeze the last ounce of performance before you convert to client server,
> and even in that circumstance it often is a waste of effort.
>
> Get to know your tools and you can save yourself a great deal of time and
> effort... a great deal.
>
> Larry Linson
> Microsoft Access MVP

0
Baz
1/2/2008 6:16:53 PM
Thank you for your support concerning my post , i may not have may my reasons
clear and  therefore caused misunderstandings .  i have obtain an example of
the  the process of using unbound forms in a shared data base and the
mircosoft expert  by the name of  John Viescas gives it the name of Pushing
the envelope, and he bares out what you have written.
--
RFortune

"David Portwood" wrote:

> > By default Access uses optimistic locking, which means that users *cannot*
> > lock records indefinitely.
>
> Whether or not records are locked indefinitely is not really my point. They
> need not be locked for more than a few milliseconds at most, using unbound
> controls.
>
> In most situations, in a multiuser environment, I would prefer to use an
> unbound form for editing records rather than allowing the user to edit the
> record directly using bound controls. A user might begin editing a control,
> then get up and go to lunch, leaving the record locked. I don't know how
> long the record remains locked in this case, but using unbound controls it
> is not locked at all.
>
> >> I changed the form to one with unbound controls. Now nothing is ever
> >> locked for more than a few milliseconds and this under program control
> >> only
> >
> > Which is exactly how Access works if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
> > setting.
> >
> >> This small time period is easily covered by the default retry period. My
> >> users can now diddle on the unbound form until the cows come home without
> >> hurting anything. (I hate users...)
> >>

> > As they can on a bound form if you leave RecordLocks at it's default
> > setting.
>
> I am suspicious of this statement. I think there may be an issue of degree
> here.
>
> >> I strongly recommend using unbound forms versus bound forms in a
> >> multiuser environment. I should probably avoid absolutes...
> >>

> > That's crazy.  You are simply doing bound forms wrong.  If I were building
> > all-unbound forms I would throw Access in the bin, bound forms and reports
> > are the *entire* point of Access.
>
> I'm a crazy guy. Maybe you are right. I can only say that I have noticed
> fairly dramatic performance improvements in a multiuser environment when I
> (mostly) switched to unbound forms for editing. I am sure you will say the
> performance benefits occurs because I was doing something wrong with the
> bound forms. Maybe so.
>
> I feel a bit like Linus Pauling arguing with the medical community about the
> benefits of vitamin C based mostly on personal and anecdotal evidence. All
> manner of facts were thrown in his face, to which he had no good response.
>
> I still urge the original poster to try using unbound forms (for editing
> purposes) for himself. I think he will be very happy with the result.

Thank you that was most helpful . The syntaax you mentioned would be much
appreciated. i am committed to this procedure and as i am doing it to help a
charity i am stuck with access Thanks again  Bob Fortune
--
RFortune

"David Portwood" wrote:

> In a multiuser environment, I had a bound form and found that ham-handed
> users would leave records locked indefinitely from that form. This seemed to
> wreck performance of reports and queries.
>
> I changed the form to one with unbound controls. Now nothing is ever locked
> for more than a few milliseconds and this under program control only. This
> small time period is easily covered by the default retry period. My users
> can now diddle on the unbound form until the cows come home without hurting
> anything. (I hate users...)
>
> I strongly recommend using unbound forms versus bound forms in a multiuser
> environment. I should probably avoid absolutes...
>
> As for updating the table from data in the unbound form, you must (what
> follows is from memory, check the details, but the strategy is correct) open
> the unbound form as a modal dialog, with WindowMode:=acDialog. This is
> important, because now when you open the unbound form, program execution
> stops and waits in the calling form.
>
> On the unbound form, the OK button hides (Me.visible = False) but does not
> close the unbound form. Execution automatically resumes in the calling form
> with the unbound form still loaded.
>
> In the calling form, you check to see if the unbound form is still loaded.
> There is a simple way to do this, I forget the syntax, something like "if
> CurrentProject.AllForms("formname").loaded = True". Maybe someone else could
> help out here? Or I could check it at work tomorrow and get back to you.
>
> Anyway, if the above condition is true, the unbound form is still loaded, so
> you can access the controls and write their data into your table. Then close
> the still-loaded form.
>
> In the Close/Cancel button on your unbound form, just do Me.close.
>
> Btw, unbound forms require extra work validating data. Do this from the OK
> button, validate all controls from there, not from the BeforeUpdate method
> of each control, which is where you would put control level validation for a
> bound form.
>
> "Baz" <baz@nospam.nowhere> wrote in message
> > Any reason why you don't just bind the form to the table?
> >
> > "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> i have created a unbound local  form to record details and wish to save
> >> the
> >> record to a table which  is linked to the database on the server  Access
> >> 2003
> >> --
> >> RFortune

http://www.mail-archive.com/ms_access_professionals@yahoogroups.com/msg01927.html

Hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

Certainly Access will run out of steam if you throw enough users at it, but
it will be an overall performance problem, nothing to do with the illusory
locking non-issue which David Portwood is so concerned with (even though he
has evidently failed to grasp even the most basic principles e.g. the
difference between optimistic and pessimistic locking).

If you are "pushing the envelope" with Access in performance terms (and
assuming you haven't done something stupid like choosing the wrong locking
options), abandoning bound forms is still the wrong answer.  The *right*
answer is to keep your bound forms and to convert your back end to SQL
Server.  It's easier, cheaper and much more effective than trying to squeeze
micro-efficiencies out of Access by turning it into something it doesn't
want to be.

(Incidentally, David, you can't screw up the locking with SQL Server, it
only supports optimistic locking).

And if, despite everything, you are a masochist who likes doing things the
hard way, then for unbound forms Delphi, Visual Studio 2005 and even good
old Visual Basic 6 are all better choices than Access.

But hey, what do I know?  You guys have, what, *months* of experience
between you, so I guess you must know what you are doing.

> [...]
>> > are the *entire* point of Access.
>>
>> I'm a crazy guy. Maybe you are right. I can only say that I have noticed
>> fairly dramatic performance improvements in a multiuser environment when
>> (mostly) switched to unbound forms for editing. I am sure you will say
>> the
>> performance benefits occurs because I was doing something wrong with the
>> bound forms. Maybe so.
>>
>> I feel a bit like Linus Pauling arguing with the medical community about
>> the
>> benefits of vitamin C based mostly on personal and anecdotal evidence.
>> All
>> manner of facts were thrown in his face, to which he had no good
>> response.
>>
>> I still urge the original poster to try using unbound forms (for editing
>> purposes) for himself. I think he will be very happy with the result.

1/2/2008 10:55:35 PM
Thank you for time , I admit I am a novice to access and was advised to seek
help from the forum. My original post was never about locking issues , and
the server in use is very low speck, so my only goal was to reduce time  the
user was accessing the server and allow him/her to work on a particuar record
 in their leisure. I regret if my poor expanation of what was trying to
acheive as cause a strorm in a tea cup.
--
RFortune

"Baz" wrote:

> [...]
> >> here.

> >> I'm a crazy guy. Maybe you are right. I can only say that I have noticed
> >> fairly dramatic performance improvements in a multiuser environment when
> >> (mostly) switched to unbound forms for editing. I am sure you will say
> >> the
> >> performance benefits occurs because I was doing something wrong with the
> >> bound forms. Maybe so.
> >>
> >> I feel a bit like Linus Pauling arguing with the medical community about
> >> the
> >> benefits of vitamin C based mostly on personal and anecdotal evidence.
> >> All
> >> manner of facts were thrown in his face, to which he had no good
> >> response.
> >>
> >> I still urge the original poster to try using unbound forms (for editing
> >> purposes) for himself. I think he will be very happy with the result.

unbound forms
I have a form that has a recordsource based on a query I typed in and I have all the controls on the form unbound. I believe with a bound control it keeps a link to the database so there is a lot of communication between form and database right? With an unbound form does the recordsource "download" a recordset that the form then walks through? So if I add a next button to the form, when next is clicked does the form requery the database or does it get the data from the recordset? I am working in access 2007 and right now the database is split with the backend stil...

Organisation Forms
Apologies if this is the incorrect group to post this to. If not, please advise as to the preferred one etc. Using Exchange 2003, Outlook 2000, XP etc. We have a form within our 'Organisational Forms' which requires editing. I've done the changes and saved the form but am a bit stumped as to what to do next. How do I get the 'new' form displayed within the users Outlook. Hope that makes sense. Regards Hi Wozzer, have a look on this site for further information: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/formpub.htm (Publicshing a Form) http://www.outlookcode.com/d/forms.htm (G...

Form with sub-form, both visible in design view
I haven't been able to create a form/sub-form, both visible. Must be doing something wrong. Is there more than one way to do this? Or is there only one way that does what I want? ed On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:17:58 -0500, "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote: >I haven't been able to create a form/sub-form, both visible. Must be doing >something wrong. Well, you certainly are; that should be perfectly straightforward. >Is there more than one way to do this? Or is there only one way that does >what I want? I can think of three or four ways to put a...

outlook 2003/black berry/spam filter
We are running SBS 2003. We have a black berry unit that should recieve email from the Inbox but for some reason mail push to the Junk E-mail folder is getting sent to the BlackBerry for mail coming from Exchange. The outlook 2003 is also configured to pop from a second pop server and those emails that go into Junk folder do not get forwarded to the Black Berry inbox. Has anyone figured out how to stop the junk mail from going to the Black Berry. We are running just the desktop software for email re-direction. Comments please? Michael ValeCruz ...

Customize forms
Is there a way to have customized shortcuts (example: to close a form, or open a particular detail window) ? Also is there an autofill functionality in Great Plains? Or can one be implemented? Thanks, Annalisa For autofill there is a third-party solution. I think eOne Solutions has such a product. Their website is www.eonesolutions.com.au. For closing a form, you can always press <Ctrl-F4>. Do you want some other kind of shortcut? Additionally, Great Plains 8 has autocomplete functionality so as you start typing a value in a key field the history of what you've entered is di...

How to select first record in listbox?
Hi All, I have a listbox set to multi-select. I sometimes resort the list by rebuilding its SQL in VB code and requerying it. I then want to update the form that relies in the selection in the listbox for its SQL, but nothing in the listbox is selected. I tried setting the listbox "Value" property with: Me!lstItems.Value = Me!lstItems.ItemData(0) but it didn't work. I assume this is either because the box is in multiselect mode, so the bound column is inaccessible, or because I don't know what the heck I'm doing. So, how can I make the firs...

How can I open attachment in Outlook 2003?
Hello HorstK, you wrote on Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:23:02 -0700: [Nothing] http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Best Regards Christian Goeller ...

Passing Data in MDI forms
Sorry if this is easy, and I'm being a bit of a numpty! I am relatively new to C++ (MFC) and am trying to upgrade some inherited code. I have a MDI project, to which I have added serial comms. i have placed the serial comms handling in the main frame code. This works a treat, and I can receive data over RS232. The problem I have is this: I then want to distribute the data that I receive to a child form. I cannot work out how to do it. Any help received would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Richard There are several approaches to this. One is that if you have only one document, the ser...

Substituting linked sheets with new sheets by the same name
In Sheet2, I've created links to the data in Sheet1. Now I wish to delete Sheet1, and replace it with a new sheet which I will name Sheet1 (replacing the whole sheet and not just the data in it is a neccessity). However, all the links in Sheet2 are broken... If i fix them, it only works for the specific new Sheet1; but I need to repeat the process of replacing the sheet. Fixing the links AFTER deleting Sheet1 but BEFORE creating the new Sheet1, also doesn't do - the links, although supposedly not broken and directing to Sheet1, are still displaying #REF when I create a Sheet1. Any ...

expiring password change on windows 2003 domain with Windows 7.
Hello, I have a windows 2003 doimain and have starting using windows 7. When I log into a windows 2003 or windows xp machine, I am prompted that my domain password is due to expire. However, when I log into the windows 7 machines, there is no prompt or warning. How can I change it so it gives me a warning? thanks. "Simon." <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFF1DF4C-9441-40E3-B95B-56826FA93375@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I have a windows 2003 doimain and have starting using windows 7. When I > log > into a windows 2003 or ...

Getting back a deleted test frame after saving the changes
My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't allow you to undo? On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:04:01 +0100, Denise wrote (in article <09056FDE-03FC-4988-8AB0-D1EA0896BFC7@microsoft.com>): > My son just deleted a text frame with all his work and started a new text > frame and then when asked if he wanted to save his work he clicked yes. Is > there any way to retrieve that missing text frame when it won't a...

Importing Exchange 2003 database from previous server
Hi everyone, I'm quite a newbie when it comes to Exchange server 2003 and thought it would be usefull to register on this website to ask for some advice so here goes. A few days ago my company had a working Exchange server 2003 with everyones mailboxes etc correct, but yesterday the server broke and the motherboard, cpu and psu had to be replaced. After replacing these items we tried to repair Windows server 2003 but without luck. So we installed a fresh copy of Windows server 2003 for small business including Exchange 2003. Now this is where the problem has started. We still have ...

Sync Palm Calender with Outlook 2003
Is there a free utility to sync my Palm Calender with Outlook 2003? I am converting over and really cannot manually transfer the data. If someone out there knows of such a utility could you post a URL to download from? TIA!!!! Plumperlover wrote: > Is there a free utility to sync my Palm Calender with Outlook > 2003? I am converting over and really cannot manually transfer the > data. If someone out there knows of such a utility could you post a > URL to download from? > > TIA!!!! Nothing free that I know of. How about, "affordable" and "reliable" ?...

Gray status boxes -- saving, repagination, ""
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Today I started getting gray rectangular &quot;status boxes&quot; any time I pasted a word. The &quot;Edit&quot; in the Menu would flash every time I pasted a word (Command-v). Then the &quot;status box&quot; would have a horizontal line fill from left to right. <br><br>This new development also has the same type of box for indicating that Word is checking for smart quotes or repaginating a 100 page document. When the show codes option is turned on, the &quot;status box&qu...

Bound form with unbound controls
I have a bound form that has 2 unbound combo boxes that I need to have the value of combo #2 as a field value of the table the form is bound to. Haven't worked with ACCESS in a while so my programming is off, but can anyone help me out here? Thanks, Jeff This is an odd request. May I ask why you need an unbound control that has a value from the same table that the form is bound to? Do you mean field name maybe? To get a value (though I don't know why you would in this case), use: =DLookup("Fieldname", "Tablename", "Criteria") If...

Outlook 2003 won't print message headers
This has just started happening in the last few weeks to other people in my office and now to me. I haven't been able to trace the problem back to any specific update (at least not yet) mainly due to a lack of input from the people this has happened to. The problem is while printing emails from Outlook 2003 I can print the body of the message, but the message header (email addresses to, from, cc, etc.. and subject) won't print. We are all using word as the email editor and I originally thought that a change in the word normal template may have been the cause, but reverting to a norm...

form
i have a form that is linked to a table. all i do is enter data from the form. i converted the database from 2000 to 2003 because i want to use with runtime. for some reason the form doesnt open up in data entry mode. i can scroll through records etc but the * is not available to use to create a new record. it worked no problem before now its not. everything is checked for the properties for data entry. when i use the database with runtime, the total form is blank. thats another story. does anyone have any ideas what is happening. thanks ...

Extender Access
We are currently using Extender, and we have several extender screens in use. One of our salespeople now needs to use an extender screen created off of customer maintenance, but the screen isn't available through his extras menu. All other extender screens in GP are viewable/editable, but this is the only one creating a problem. Is there any sort of extender window-level access setup that could be causing this? Tools > Extender > Security.... under Windows every window should be listed. (This is in GP 9.0, but if I recall correctly 8.0 had the same setup.) Hope that helps,...

Using a form to Search
We are trying to setup a db where a couple of the fields will need to be manually updated each month for the new records coming into the db. The problem is that we need to be able to view all of the records attached to that customer to be able to fill those in. Is there a way to have the form show a filter and only pull in the data attached to the new monthly load to make edits? -- Thank you in advance!!!! On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:09:01 -0700, daisy <daisy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are trying to setup a db where a couple of the fields will need to be &...

Using Access form to assign values of variables in an Excel VBA program
I have created a VBA program for Ms Excel.But,to get desired results, every time, I go into the code to change the values of variables.Is there a way to get the values of variables stored in an Access table? YOu need to do a search for ADO method (ActiveX Data Object). There are plenty of example of code on the web. You need to add two references in your VBA to use the method. from VBA menu tools - References 1) Microsoft Access XX.X object library 2) Microsfot ActiveX Data Objects X.X library Use the latest versio of the two libraries on your PC. You will make a conn...

A phantom blank form opens with my form
I have a form that is used for data entry. When it opens there is a phantom blank rectangle that opens adjacent to the regular data entry form. The form is opened via VBA. I have the form set to data entry with additions set to yes. Once I enter data it dissapears. At other times it locks up everything where I have to use the task manager to close. What the . . . First thing I would do would be to see if there are updated Graphics drivers for my hardware. -- HTH, George "Programming Artist" <Programming Artist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2703E1...

Exchange 2003 LDAP configuration
Warning - I'm a coder not a system admin guy, so be gentle with me and I apologise for any stupid questions! I want to connect to our exchange server, using LDAP, eventually to get hold of the global address list. The problem is that I'm stumbling at the very first hurdle - I'm not sure if I'm connecting to the correct port (I've tried all the LDAP defaults 389, 636 etc), I'm not sure I'm trying to connect with the correct user (I've tried the username I use to log into OWA and Administrator) and I'm not even sure if the LDAP service (if there is a separate...

recordset "over" 2 forms
I think this is a rather basic question and difficult to explain, but I'll try I have this form with 1 entryfield and 1 puhbutton In this entryfield I enter a name, or part of a name I click the pushbutton and another form opens, based upon what I entered in the first form The code for the pushbutton of the first form is: Private Sub Knop13_Click() If IsNull(Me!Naam_lk) = False Then If MsgBox("Je koos een naam", vbOKOnly, "Let op") Then End If End If If IsNull(Me!Naam_lk) = False Then Dim g As Form, f As Form Dim db As Database Set db = Cur...

Transparent form with hourglass?
I want to have a maximized form that is transparent. In the center is a label with some text. I could not figure out how to have a waitcursor displayed on the form. Does anyone know how to do that with a transparent form? As an alternative, I tried setting the opacity to something low like 5%. The waitcursor worked but I could not see the label text in the middle of the form. Thanks for any help you can provide. ...

Auto Save #5
How can I activate "auto-save" for Excel. I always thought that it was a Microsoft Add-in, but I can't seem to find it. I am running Office/Excel 2003. Thanks, Hi Ken! AutoSave got dropped in Excel 2003 The Autosave.xla file from an earlier version of Excel will work in Excel 2003. But perhaps better is Jan Karel Pieterse' AutoSafe addin from: Steve Bullen hosted: http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...