TransferText - Append to existing text file

Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and APPEND
to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite?

Please advise.

Thank you.

0
Brig
4/6/2010 2:34:36 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and
> APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite?

TransferText will always overwrite the target file.  If you still want to
use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of
several possible methods to append that temporary file to the final target
file.  Those methods could include (1) using basic I/O commands to read the
temp output file and append its contents to the target file, (2) using the
FileSystemObject and its methods to do the same, or (3) shelling out to a
command-line command to copy-append the files.

Alternatively, you could use your own code to open a recordset on the
table/query, open the target file for append, and loop through the
recordset, formatting and writing output text lines.

Better than that, here is a link to a text-export class object written by
Dimitri Furman that supports appending to the target file:

    http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0058.htm
    Modules: Text Export Class

I haven't used it, but I'll bet it works just fine.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/6/2010 4:25:30 PM
Thank you very much.

Brig

"Dirk Goldgar" <dg@NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Brig Siton" <bnospamsiton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to have table or query exported out to a text file and
>> APPEND to what is already in the text file instead of overwrite?
>

> TransferText will always overwrite the target file.  If you still want to
> use TransferText, you can export to a temporary file, then use one of
> several possible methods to append that temporary file to the final target
> file.  Those methods could include (1) using basic I/O commands to read
> the temp output file and append its contents to the target file, (2) using
> the FileSystemObject and its methods to do the same, or (3) shelling out
> to a command-line command to copy-append the files.
>
> Alternatively, you could use your own code to open a recordset on the
> table/query, open the target file for append, and loop through the
> recordset, formatting and writing output text lines.
>
> Better than that, here is a link to a text-export class object written by
> Dimitri Furman that supports appending to the target file:
>
>    http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0058.htm
>    Modules: Text Export Class
>
> I haven't used it, but I'll bet it works just fine.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Brig

New site
New site - can't import .mny file It appears the new portfolio manager will only import .inv files. The help options imply that it can import .mny files but I get a message that the file cannot be imported. Money 2004 is not set up to use Passport. In microsoft.public.money, Endofile wrote: >New site - can't import .mny file > >It appears the new portfolio manager will only >import .inv files. The help options imply that it can >import .mny files but I get a message that the file >cannot be imported. > >Money 2004 is not set up to use Passport. If yo...

copy text on the screen as text?
A long time ago I wrote a program that copied the screen. But that produced an image of the screen. I'm guessing that that is the best one can do but I would like to copy text on the screen as text (i.e. as a string) Do you know if that is possible? Or maybe, you know why that it is not possible - if so, of course, I'd like to know that. Thanks Cal Who wrote: > A long time ago I wrote a program that copied the screen. > But that produced an image of the screen. > > I'm guessing that that is the best one can do but I would like to copy text...

can't open msg file #2
in some machines i can't open emails saved as msg file. what can be the problem? thanks Version of Outlook? Type of e-mail account? Are these .msgs in forwarded emails or are they .msgs saved to the PC? -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "sam" wrote: > in some machines i can't open emails saved as msg file. > what can be the problem? > > thanks > > > sam <focus10@zahav.net.il> wrote: > in some machines i can't open emails saved as msg file. > what...

Get File version
Hi, How can I get the file version ? Yoav "Yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> wrote in message news:OrLP$ow1GHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi, > How can I get the file version ? For .exe and .dll files check out the routines which handle the VERSIONINFO resource, which (inter alia) stores that information. Dave -- David Webber Author MOZART the music processor for Windows - http://www.mozart.co.uk For discussion/support see http://www.mozart.co.uk/mzusers/mailinglist.htm Hi, Call GetFileVersionInfoSize to get the size in bytes for the file,then call GetFileV...

alt text /accessibilty for screen reader users
Can someone direct me to information or where within the products I can add alternate text (alt text tags) to images/objects? I know how to do it with Windows Office products but can not find out how to do this within the Mac Office products. Thank you for your assistance in this matter. NJ Assistive Technologist Command + k and click the Screen Tip button. Alternatively, right-click the Hyperlink and add the ALT tag manually. Hope this helps On 27/02/08 9:19 AM, in article ee8ee18.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "NJ@officeformac.com" <NJ@officeformac.com> wrote: > Can som...

reading an xml file by fragments
I have an Xml document containing the serialization of a very big arraylist. Each Item having any type. The file is big and I don't want to load it like this but by fragment of item. I made a try with XPathNavigator, but the Value property does not send me the result on the form of an Xml string. So I cant deserialized it with XmlSerializer. Is there a way to do this? thank you ...

Structure of MS Help 2.x *.HxS file?
Hi everyone: I'm trying to find any info on the structure of the .HxS file, that is help file of the MS Help 2.x format. (The files used by the MSDN help, as an example). Does anyone know any information about it? Thanks in advance... Is this of yours purpose : http://www.speakeasy.net/~russotto/chm/itolitlsformat.html -MAHESH Yeah, I found it myself, but it is not quite clear, especially how to process Stream Data. "mahesh14@gmail.com" wrote: > Is this of yours purpose : > > http://www.speakeasy.net/~russotto/chm/itolitlsformat.html > > -MAHESH >...

IF NOT EXISTS and hit counter
I'm creating a web page hit counter sproc. I'm trying to prevent duplicate hits for the following: 1. If the session id is the same and web page name is the same. 2. If the session id is the same and web page name is "productdisplay.asp" and column "prodID" is the same. My below sproc is preventing duplicate entries for the special "productdisplay.asp" page when the "prodID" is the same. But it is allowing duplicate "mypage.htm" pages to be logged. The special "productdisplay.asp" page is the product display p...

Excel Text Function
Hi anyone who can help me... I have some info in a spreadsheet as follows: A1 B1 C1 Centra Dublin Centra Belfast Centra London If I want to get just Centra out into another cell I would use =LEFT(A1:C1,6) and this works fine. But I want to actually get out the area - Dublin, Belfast or London and some other areas that might have more or less than 7 letters. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance Ann (Dublin, Ireland) =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"Centra","")) will work if you have city names and centra.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ann&q...

Load a LINQ file in WPF
Hi, I saved a xml file with the Document.Save command I can reload it with the Document.Load command only during the current session... but it will not load between sessions. I'm running in the WPF C# environment. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks, King Sorry, I forget the initial loading process. King "King Coffee" <kcoffee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:6494A58B-D676-4DD9-BC72-1E2CC36A8E65@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I saved a xml file with the Document.Save command > I can reload it with the Document.Load command > on...

Poor quality of photos inserted as files
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have had an ongoing problem with random poor quality of photos inserted into Word documents as files. The photos appear normal in the document on the display, but half of the time when they are printed, they look like they have a resolution of 50 dpi. This problem has occurred using several different printers, both laser and ink jet. The problem does not appear consistently. I have tried to massage the photos with Photoshop Elements but that has no effect. I end up having to print the photo pages in the documen...

Check if a sheet exists
I have a workbook with a number of sheets (n) that changes. Each sheet in the workbook is named; " Sheetn " where n is th sheet number (e.g. Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 etc.) I need to know the VBA to check whether a sheet exists; something alon the line of this sheetloop = 1 do domacroonsheet(sheetloop) <--- My other macro that does stuff sheetloop = sheetloop + 1 loop until exist(sheets("Sheet" & sheetloop))=false Can someone correct this for me please; I'm desperate to get thi working! Many thanks in advance! :confused -- Message posted from http...

Filing Contacts using the 'File As' option
I've recently had a new pc installed and have synchronised my pocket pc with my desktop. Unfortunately, my pocket pc has taken on the Outlook settings from my desktop and as a result, all my contacts on both pc's are filed as with the format 'surname,firstname. I want all my contact to be filed as 'firstname,surname'. The 'tools,options etc gives you the opportunity to specify this for NEW contacts but it doesn't seem to work for existing contacts. Does anyone know how I might be able to get my existing contacts to be filed with the format 'firstname,surnam...

Calling JAVA class file in VC++
Hi All, Please tell me how to call java class file(this file has command line arguments) in VC++ application? Thanking You, dinesh In message <#2Iwic7QEHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Dinesh <dinesh@netplexusindia.com> writes >Hi All, >Please tell me how to call java class file(this file has command line >arguments) in VC++ application? CreateProcess. If you don't want to do that search for jni*.h in your java\include directory and look at the documentation for Java Native Interface. Stephen -- Stephen Kellett Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon....

add accents to text
I want to add accents to first/last names in a spreadsheet I'd also like to be able to add scientific symbols to text in a spreadsheet. From your START button go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map Slow way: use Select/Copy then Paste into Excel Faster way: click on the accented letter you want, look at bottom right corner (eg for ï {as in naïve} you'll see "Keystroke: Alt + 0239). Do this for all the accented letters you think you will need. Keep the paper handy and use the Alt + four digit code to obtain your results. Stephen Powell "mtambeau...

Indenting Text
I want to indent text in a range of cells based on the values contained in another range of cells. Con ditional formatting does not apply to indenting so how can I do it? I apply data|autofilter, show only those cells that match the condition I want. then I select that other column (that actually gets indented) and format those. Format|Cells|alignment tab|Indent as many as I want. It doesn't adjust automatically (like conditional formatting), but it's pretty quick if I need to reapply. Tony Woods wrote: > > I want to indent text in a range of cells based on the > value...

integrating .wav to text s/w in mfc #2
Hi friends, I want to integrate wav to text converter in my application,can any body help me which API or fuctions in mfc that I can go for thanks, rajendra ...

download Word file into visio 2007
Anyone know how I can import a normal .doc WORD file which has our schools plan into a trial copy of visio 2007. Was going to us Smartdraw but thought as WORD already in use it would be easy to import into another Microsoft programme. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks Alan Speer Since Word is a text tool and Visio is a diagramming tool, what would be the purpose. You might consider just hyperlinking to the word document instead. al "Alan Speer" <Alan Speer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA0022B-9B77-4764-AD35-5D342039D2E7@microsoft...

How do I install an existing word 2003 template in 2007
I need to install existing templates from word 2003. I can add them under templates recently used, and I can select them under change styles, but their particular formatting doesn't appear on the ribbon. I run XP but no Save In Trusted Templates choice appears under Save As - as per help directions. Tearing hair out. Word 2007 is not fussy where the document templates are stored (apart from the normal template). If the templates contain macros then the folder must be a trusted folder. Either make the folder containing the templates a trusted folder or move them to an alr...

either draw bitmap of text
hi experts~ i'm developing a SDI application in winCE by using mfc. now i can draw either bitmap or text , but not both. that means when i draw bitmap , text can't show on the same time. but if i disable the bitmap drawing function, i can see the text. what's wrong with me? thank you. such as delete object. could anyone show me some example? thank you. "chichung" <kenneth@netxis.com.hk> �b�l�� news:ubYx8DiRDHA.2148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl �����g... > hi experts~ > i'm developing a SDI application in winCE by using mfc. > > now i can draw either b...

How to parse an XML file
Hi. This should be a walk in the park for almost anyone... I'm a skilled win32 programmer, trying to learn asp.net 2.0 I've tried making a XML file parsing it to draw a GUI (web application) I have a small example: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <Persons> <Person ID="ET40"> <FirstName>Bart-Jan</FirstName> <LastName>Brouwer</LastName> </Person> <Person ID="ET50"> <FirstName>Morten</FirstName> <LastName>Jacobsen</LastName> </Person> </Persons> I ...

transfer OE files from Win2k to XP
I'm going to help my dad install XP on his existing machine. It's going to be a clean install so we're overwriting his 2000 installation completely. He's already backed up everything from the machine that he wants to keep. But it occurred to me that OE could be a problem. He's still using OE for email despite my efforts to get him away from it. I know how to transfer the files from one installation to another (email files and address book). But I recall doing something like this some years ago and ran into a problem. I just don't remember if it's the s...

How do you get more text to print in the lable of a monthly view?
Can text wrap? I want to get the entire title of my event in the window so that when I print it my boss can see the title and know what it is. How is that possible without changing the size of the text. There is nothing else on that date but it cuts off the text and one line. Can I change the size of the 'lable' box? "banannabee" <banannabee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:538F8868-FB4F-4092-B95A-99E3C6DE48DE@microsoft.com... > Can text wrap? I want to get the entire title of my event in the window so > that when I print it my boss...

Link existing to Master
Howdy, I have a .gif that i made a Stencil and would now like to link several existing of the same .gif to this stencil, is this possible? Dan ...

Saving as a text file with quotes AND commas
I need to have a text file with quotes and comma delimited i.e. "C1","Anne","1429" etc. The file exists as a comma delimitted text file. I open it in Excel and add quotes using a vba macro. If I save it as a .csv file it adds another set of quotes. If I don't put the quotes in with the macro and save it as .csv it doesn't add any quotes. If I save it any other way it doesn't have commas. HELP!! John, Get the Text Write Program (a workbook) from www.tushar-mehta.com. Don't add the quotes. You can tell the program to put the quotes around all f...