Top 3 within a group

I have a table of student ID's (numeric) courses and marks such as
shown in this example:

ID           Course              Mark
123456    Math 11            80
123456    English 11         82
123456    Socials 11         75
123456    Science 11        92
123456    Geog 11            84
123456    Physics 11        70
234567    Math 12            65
234567    English 12         71
234567    Chem 12           60
234567    Geog 12            88
234567    Phys 12            70

I want to produce a list that shows the top 3 courses for each
student
such as

ID           Course              Mark
123456    Science 11        92
123456    Geog 11            84
123456    English 11         82
234567    Geog 12            88
234567    English 12         71
234567    Phys 12            70

In other words I basically want to sort first by student ID then by
mark and filter out all but the top 3 marks for each student. I am
not
having much success with this and am wondering if someone can assist
me?

Jim

0
SeaQuest
6/7/2007 12:03:43 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Answered in one of the other groups where you posted this.
0
Allen

Import Data from ERP-System to CRM 3.0 daily
I wonder what way I should choose to import data (Accounts, Contacts, Offers,... perharps some custom entities) from an ERP-system to CRM 3.0 on a daily basis. the CRM does NOT work with a relational database, thus I don't know, if migration tools would work but I think they won't. Please tell me if I'm wrong and I'm able to use those tools for imports of dBase or CSV-Files, too. Development of a custom interface is possible but it's said anywhere that developers shall never interact with the CRM-database directly. Under what circumstances can I be sure to be on the s...

Actor: Top package
Hey... When i create an actor it display the text "top package" before the name i give it... How do i remove that??? Best regards Kent ...

TOP 15 online business
This is the best place to find Top Online and Home Business The best of the best is there. Subscribe to get lattest news Updated daily TOP 15 online business: http://www.spot2biz.com ...

sort equal groups of data
hi, i need a help in this, plz i got this list, id like to check the common fields (in 2 and 3 columns) like this, p.ex (so later, i could delete them, and keep and analize the other groups of data) LG-0060-0703 MT 6 LG-0060-0703 CX 6 LG-0060-0703 MT 1 LG-0060-1003 MT 6 LG-0060-1003 CX 6 LG-0060-1003 MT 1 LG-0060-1203 MT 6 LG-0060-1203 CX 6 LG-0060-1203 MT 1 LG-0060-2003 MT 6 LG-0060-2003 CX 6 LG-0060-2003 MT 1 LG-0060-3003 MT 6 LG-0060-3003 CX 6 LG-0060-3003 MT 1 LG-0060-4003 MT 6 LG-0060-4003 CX 6 LG-0060-4003 MT 1 LG-0100018 UN 1 i appreciate your help thanks Not certain what...

PivotTable
Re: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot05.html#TopItems I use the data file from the above site. I drag "name" to the row fields area and "score" to the data items area. = Then I double-click on name and select top 5 scores. I can even sort = in ascending order of scores. No problem. However, if I just drag score to the row fields area and nothing else, = when I click on advanced, "Top 10 AutoShow" is greyed out. The way to = get around this is to also drag score to the data area i.e. two = identical columns of score side by side. Then I can choose the top...

Date problem #3
I'm preparing an employee course attendance list. There is a column for date course attended and another for when it needs to be updated using format for adding one, 2 or whatever years to the course attended column (there are lots of courses). At the moment the course attended columns are blank (it will take me a while to fill in the dates). The course update column shows 31/12/1900. As I add the date the employee attends a course this changes to the correct update date. But it is driving me mad that I can't make 31/12/1900 disappear when the cell that the formula is based on ...

3-D Donut Chart printing
Hello, Donut charts created in Excel and exported to Power Point loose resolution (look fuzzy) when printing from Power Point. This occurs with Donut charts using a 3-D design effect or beveled look. I would like to put the chart into a metafile or non-editable format when moving to PowerPoint. Not sure if this is an Excel, PowerPoint or file format being used. Thoughts? Thanks. Should have mentioned this is 2007. "Tmright" wrote: > Hello, > Donut charts created in Excel and exported to Power Point loose resolution > (look fuzzy) when printing from Power Point. ...

How to make CStatic been on top of all child windows in my dialog?
Hi there. I'm just expiriencing some problems with CStatic behaviour. The point is that I have some CStatic that I want to use as a nitification label. sometimes I need to show user some information and I want to do that the way when a Label appeare in the middle of the dialog and stay on top of all other controls placed o dialog. I use the following functions to make a CStatic visible and been on top, but it doesn't work well: ::SetWindowPos(m_lblPartsMsg.m_hWnd, HWND_TOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE | WP_NOSIZE ); Coudl you suggest me what I have to do to acchive the behaviour I ...

How can i make values appear at the top of bars in a bar graph?
chart options>data labels>value -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dylan" <Dylan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AF2AB4B-03DE-4A30-9435-83C9C517D92F@microsoft.com... > ...

Printing non-adjacent columns #3
Hi I know I can hide columns I don't want to print and I know I can use Group and Outline but that means I have to do this each time to the columns I want to print and they could be different each time in the spreadsheet - is there a quicker way using a macro or something? Basically I have 45 columns and sometimes I want to print for example A:E,G,M-P,T and sometimes I want to print other combinations of columns. Thanks Ann Record a macro when you hide your columns, print the worksheet, and unhide the columns. Then you could use that as the basis of your code to print the colu...

multiple scatter graphes how to plot 3 sets of data for x y on th.
I would like to know how to plot multiple sets of data on a scatter graph for example i have 3 sets of data for three types of lighting systems, red, green and blue i want to plot the voltage againt the current, and i want all the data on one graph so i can compare them, how do i do it? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html#StakCht "frances" <frances@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DA7D5B8-0A7C-4844-B996-E052C1992535@microsoft.com... > I would like to know how to plot multiple sets of data on a scatter graph for > example i have 3 sets of da...

Forcing a dialog to be the top top top top most window !
Hi When my app starts up it displays an initial dialog. Under certain circumstances this dialog popus up behind another applications window so you don't see it. Is there any way of forcing the dialog to the top I have set the dialog's "Set Foreground" property I have added the following to its OnInitDialog() : SetWindowPos(&wndTop, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE | SWP_NOSIZE ) TTFN Jo &wndTopmost joe On Fri, 21 May 2004 02:51:03 -0700, Jon EVans <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >When my app starts up it displays an initial d...

Re: First day of week-Monday. #3
Hello, The below formula returns 15.05.06. What is wrong with it? =TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY()-2) will return the same dates -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom =TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY()-2) Hi, I am unsure as to what you need, but what I understand from your formula above, eg. today's date is 22/05/06 when u do a weekday(today()-2) function, the sresulting day is a saturday (since 20/05/06 was a Saturday. A weekday function expresses any date into a day of the week, given a format. Since you did not specify any format, it takes Sunday to be 1, and Saturday to be 7. Thus, WEEKDAY(TODAY()-2) re...

List top five
Hi there, I've searched this site looking for an answer for this but no luck What I have is imported list of invoices thousands of rows long with about 450 suppliers occurring many times over. What I want is a formula or function that will give me the top 5 suppliers - something like (MAX(Count,1 ,2, ,3...?? It seems it should be pretty straightforward but it's beaten me (I can do this easily with a filter but I've been told they find them confusing!) Many thanks for your help Paul SInce you have your data in rows already, you could create a PivotTable w...

Integration Manager script #3
I'm trying to select particular characters from a souce field to use in constructing the GL account value for a paybles integration. The source field data would look like this: 100 - Corporate If I preview the source file, that is exactly what I see in the field I'm referencing. Within that field I'm trying to grab the first 3 characters and store them in a temp area; 100 in the example above. It seems straight forward but when I use the script below: sFacility = Left("Concur AMEX Detail.Employee Facility ID",3) the result is Cor rather than 100; what am I missin...

Using a "Group" to e-mail to.
Currently I e-mail to a group I made out of my contacts. I use the BC. Since this is a bulk mailing to our church directory, many e-mails are rejected because of the use of BC and the bulk mail. Is there a program that will take the names out of the group and mail to each individual seperately with their names appearing in the "to" box? This would solve my bulk mailing issue. .. I'm actually researching this right now. I found a program I'll probably go with here... http://www.worldmerge.com/worldmrg/index.htm It's free if you don't mind an advertisemen...

very important for your life... #3
Hi there ... Thank you for reading this message . Did you here about Islam? I mean the real Islam... Do you have some questions in your religion and you don't have the answers for them? Do you know that you have to condemns in Islam? Ok... just visit these sites, read and download any thing you want for free and I wish that you will have a good time with the sites below: Islamhouse.com website for spreading Islam in the different world's languages: Holy Quran, Books, Audio, Articles, Fatawa, Video Islam Question and Answer Islamtoday.Com Islam Guide: A Brief Illustrated Gui...

64bit on top
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey Steam's hardware survey has Win7 x64 as most popular OS barely beating XP. ...

Cell Comments #3
First off, I inherited a PC at my new company and the old users name appears in the new comment field, how can I change it to mine. Second, how can I change the default font and appearance of new comments. Thanks, Mark Tools > Options > General and enter your user name -- Gary''s Student "markstro" wrote: > First off, I inherited a PC at my new company and the old users name > appears in the new comment field, how can I change it to mine. > Second, how can I change the default font and appearance of new > comments. > Thanks, Mark > > #1. h...

Line Graphs #3
Is there a way to shade the area between two lines in a line graph, while leaving the rest unshaded? Yep, try this: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/XYAreaChart2.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009-06-ACNJ/AdvExcelConf200906ACNJ.html _______ "SecretaryII" <SecretaryII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96672ABF-085A-4B98-9CA6-2302A9F458B4@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to shade...

VBA Sort method w/more than 3 Keys
How can I sort a worksheet in VBA on more than 3 columns? Same way as manually. Sort multiple times. Sort by the 3 most minor columns first, then the next 3 most minor, ..., until you get to the 3 most major. KenRoy wrote: > > How can I sort a worksheet in VBA on more than 3 columns? -- Dave Peterson ...

Open Group Default ??? #2
Concerning Visio 2003 Std: Can I set as a default to open groups in their own window as it does in Visio 5 ??? I don't know of a global setting to do this. You can prevent individual sub-shape selection for individual shapes by going to Format > Behavior > Selection = Group Only. You can also set the double-click behavior to open the group edit window. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Maseo" <malhiwent@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23...

**Top Best GreenPennyStock: MDOR** Revolutionizing Rubber
***MDOR***(trading heavy volume at $0.77 PPS but analyst are calling for $2.51 minimum) MDOR just Revolutionized the way Rubber is Recycled and Reactivated, this will immediately give MDOR a Monopoly on the WorlWide Markets. MDOR just recently broke a NEW 52 week high on the HIGHEST volume ever!!!! **Magnum/SRI Releases Phase II Results of Custom Compounds Test** BREAKING NEWS JUST OUT http://magnumresources.net/view-investors.php?id=3D1= 80 Time to buy is now on the small healthy pullback, hurry before MDOR explodes again and makes more people RICH!!!!! Breaking News just out on MDOR, I...

blocking email #3
is there any way to block a specific email address from sending to me? Hi rebecca, you cant block, but you could delete it by creating rules. -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "rebecca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:5fef01c474ce$64431760$a501280a@phx.gbl... > is there any way to block a specific email address from > sending to me? > rebecca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > is there any way to...

Forms #3
I have created a form in Outlook 2002 but i can't get it to copy to a public folder...any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?! ...