TOOLS: Adding docs (PDF) to a database

I am looking for add-on tools or code to allow me to attach scanned PDF
documents to a database record.

I would like to know if there are developer tools out there that can do the
following:
- Appending muliple as in many PDF docs to a specific record.
- Or maybe I create a folder and the AccessDB reads the contents of the
folder showing the files related to the specific record.

Kinda like a achive file manger of related files to a database record.

Note: Eventually this access database will be pushed to SQL server if that
helps.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thank you in advance.
Michael Kintner

0
Michael
5/29/2007 1:29:27 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Access 2007 is the first version which allows attachments to a record.
Earlier versions allowed embedding some document types.

You can simply open a document by using the ShellExecute api on the stored
path to the document:

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am looking for add-on tools or code to allow me to attach scanned PDF
>documents to a database record.
>
> I would like to know if there are developer tools out there that can do
> the following:
> - Appending muliple as in many PDF docs to a specific record.
> - Or maybe I create a folder and the AccessDB reads the contents of the
> folder showing the files related to the specific record.
>
> Kinda like a achive file manger of related files to a database record.
>
> Note: Eventually this access database will be pushed to SQL server if that
> helps.
>
> Can anybody help me with this?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Michael Kintner

0
Arvin
5/29/2007 2:38:37 PM
You can also open a document with the Application.FollowHyperlink statement.
It's worked for documents on which I've used it whose file types were
registered.

Is it any _better_ than using ShellExecute? I don't know. Anybody have
information one way or the other?

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> Access 2007 is the first version which allows attachments to a record.
> Earlier versions allowed embedding some document types.
>
> You can simply open a document by using the ShellExecute api on the stored
> path to the document:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am looking for add-on tools or code to allow me to attach scanned PDF
>>documents to a database record.
>>
>> I would like to know if there are developer tools out there that can do
>> the following:
>> - Appending muliple as in many PDF docs to a specific record.
>> - Or maybe I create a folder and the AccessDB reads the contents of the
>> folder showing the files related to the specific record.
>>
>> Kinda like a achive file manger of related files to a database record.
>>
>> Note: Eventually this access database will be pushed to SQL server if
>> that helps.
>>
>> Can anybody help me with this?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Michael Kintner

0
Larry
5/29/2007 5:01:14 PM
Michael,

I'm against storing the "attachment" in the database.  It bloats the
database, which depending on your application and the size of the
attachments, could quickly reach the 2GB max for Access.  Personally, I
prefer to store pointers to the file.

In some applications, I have copied the files to a central repository and
renamed them, then stored the original name and the new name in my database.
The user can browse the application select an item, and click an Open button
to open the file.

By copying the file to a hidden folder on the network, I can prevent the
user from modifying it.  When they click on the Open button, I can copy the
file from the repository to their local machine (usually C:\Temp or
C:\Windows\Temp) and open it using the docmd.followhyperlink method.

As far as code that will allow you to do this, take a look at the
BrowseFolder (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0002.htm) and Open/Save
dialog (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm) APIs on the Access Web.
You can wrap these calls in a little code to accomplish the rest of your task.

HTH
Dale
--
Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in

> You can also open a document with the Application.FollowHyperlink
> statement. It's worked for documents on which I've used it whose
> file types were registered.
>
> Is it any _better_ than using ShellExecute? I don't know. Anybody
> have information one way or the other?

I've had circumstances where FollowHyperlink didn't work for some
unexplained reason where ShellExecute did. Also, I believe the error
messages are different with ShellExecute -- I found them easier to
work with than FollowHyperlink, which was often completely silent.

David
5/29/2007 5:47:20 PM
I've occasionally had followhyperlink fail. Now that you mention it,
however, ther is an excellent hyperlink method, that hasn't failed (on me at
least) yet:

Private Sub cmdMyButton_Click()
    Me.cmdMyButton.HyperlinkAddress = "C:\Data\" & Me.txtFileName
End Sub

where C:\Data\ is the folder and txtFileName completes the fully qualified
path.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> You can also open a document with the Application.FollowHyperlink
> statement. It's worked for documents on which I've used it whose file
> types were registered.
>
> Is it any _better_ than using ShellExecute? I don't know. Anybody have
> information one way or the other?
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>> Access 2007 is the first version which allows attachments to a record.
>> Earlier versions allowed embedding some document types.
>>
>> You can simply open a document by using the ShellExecute api on the
>> stored path to the document:
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>> "Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am looking for add-on tools or code to allow me to attach scanned PDF
>>>documents to a database record.
>>>
>>> I would like to know if there are developer tools out there that can do
>>> the following:
>>> - Appending muliple as in many PDF docs to a specific record.
>>> - Or maybe I create a folder and the AccessDB reads the contents of the
>>> folder showing the files related to the specific record.
>>>
>>> Kinda like a achive file manger of related files to a database record.
>>>
>>> Note: Eventually this access database will be pushed to SQL server if
>>> that helps.
>>>
>>> Can anybody help me with this?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>> Michael Kintner

0
Arvin
5/29/2007 11:01:07 PM
Thanks, Arvin and David.  I haven't used Application.FollowHyperlink a great
deal, and had not encountered a failure, but I'll keep an eye on it.  When
it fails, does it just do so on some hyperlink addresses, or always on some
records, or always for the table?

>>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>>
>>> "Michael Kintner" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

0
Larry

ADMT Tool Question
I'm trying to run this tool without success from a Windows 2003 native domain to extract accounts from an NT4 domain. Is this possible? Windows 2003 server Domain: Windows 2003 native mode Forest: Windows 2000 NT4 server sp6a http://www.petri.co.il/active_directory_migration_tool_usage_nt_windows_2003.htm "bobs" <myname@yourdomain.com> wrote in message news:e27m%23Km4FHA.2532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I'm trying to run this tool without success from a Windows 2003 native > domain to extract accounts from an NT4 domain. Is this possible? > > Window...

Over Re-Indexing databases 2147217900
Hi Am getting the following error on a customer site, how can I fix this? could not allocate space for object '(system table id: 2)' in database RMS_ST_customer because primary file group is full C drive had 5GB space on server Other drive has 160GB 2GB RAM Properties of database: unrestricted file growth by 10% automatically grow file The recovery mode is set to simple -- Jenny hi Jennydat, Can you check how big your database is, second what version of SQL Server you are using if MSDE it is not accpeting more than 2 GB space. Make sure to check the data file and log files. &...

Tool bar anomaly

Automatic .Doc Mail merge
Hi All, is there any way or Method of the proxy dll, that allows to execute the mail merge of am Offer / Quote / Order template generating a .Doc document ? Thx Gianluca ...

Invoicing database
I have a very datab ase which lists my clients, addresses and other information about them - including their unique reference number. I now want to create a database of invoices written in the last 2 years and link this to the client batabase. If possible I'd like to autocomplete some fields in the Invoice database from the Client database. Assistance welcome. Thanks in advance. Steve Take a look at the Northwind sample database that comes with Access. It has good examples of the structures you need for client - product - invoice data. -TedMi "StevePlym...

Adding Fonts to New Font Collection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need help in adding a few of the fonts I commonly use to the Fonts Collection, which appears at the top of the Drop down menu under FONTS. I would like to store the names of a half dozen fonts in the Font Collection menu so that I can avoid scrolling through the entire Font list in order to highlight them. If one uses Verdana a lot, this is a real pain. Right now, when I go to Font Collections (under the Font menu), I see the subheading New Favorites, not no list appears when I click on it. I want to put my favo...

How do I point to a moved database?
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet that updates its fields from a .dbf file. The problem is the file has now been moved to a diferent drive so the refresh no longer works within Excel. I get the error "U:\... is not a valid path. ..." Does anyone know how to re-direct the update to the new path? Running Excel 2002 Thanks in advance! Glenn -- GSUK ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GSUK's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15220 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=268...

BACKING UP ACCESS DATABASE 10-31-07
I'd like to backup my Access database automatically (no user intervention needed) to an external drive. Does Access allow such a backup while the database is "open" ? If I have to log out of Access, it defeats my purpose of wanting to do the backup without user intervention. There appear to be a number of drives and SW available to do the backup, but the question is whether Access will allow it. Basically I'd like to backup to the external drive every time a record is changed. I'm worried about losing my database if the PC crashes. If your database is that mission...

Programmatically adding function to copy all incoming mail to public folder (based on sender domain)
Hi all. I would like to be able to (from any client) execute a script (vbs, exe, whatever) that creates a public folder. That's should be pretty easy. The tricky part is that I want the same script to create a rule (?) on the Exchange server that copies all incoming mail from a specific sender domain to that new public folder. Hmm... Let us assume that I have the sufficient credentials for this action hardcoded in the script.. does anyone have a good idea how to do that. I am creating an interface in our ERP software that should be able to see mail correspondance horizontically accross ...

Comparing Databases Before/After Compact & Repair
Hi All, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to compare a database to a copy of itself, compacted vs. uncompacted? I have a vendors product that is currently balooning their included .mdb. I've got a copy of the original (116MB) and a copy I compacted (1.6MB). I'd like to see if I can identify which objects might be at issue. Any suggestions are definitely appreciated. Ciao On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:05:51 -0600, "Tony" <|toxendine@hoopercorp.com|> wrote: There are no tools that I know of that can report the size of uncompacted objects. Typically the bloat...

Adding Contact Person to SOP Other Invoice Form
We would like to add a field to the "Bill to" and "Ship to" addresses that is the "Contact Person" field from the Address ID palette. How do I do this? This is done easily, check out Knowledgebase Article 874176. You will need to add some additional calculated fields and then modify the existing calculated fields. Using the rw_SelectAddrLine user function you can add the following fields (for example) to an address and have it grow and shrink dynamically with no empty lines. Customer Name Contact Person Address1 Address2 Address3 City State Zip Country ...

Database Diagrams
I have installed the GP 10.00 SDK on my computer and can access the database diagrams under table integration. Is there a way to print this diagram in a size that is legible? -- Aimee Crowe Christian Homes, Inc. Budgets & Reporting Accountant Aimee, Unfortunately not! In the past I have used an architectural plotter to print this document out on a huge wall size poster. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Aimee" wrote: > I have installed the GP 10.00 SDK on my computer and can acces...

Using multiple databases
I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a seperate database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to export, one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the databases seperate. Can I create another database that just has a form that works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions. Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases seperatly (a function that each database will perform on it's own w...

Best conversion tool?
I recently inherited a legacy Microsoft Access application. Most of the time I write C# web apps, but rewriting this app from scratch would be a lot of work. The Access app has over 80 forms and 50 reports. I doubt that any tool can completely convert from Access to ASP.Net, but if there is an 80-90% solution it would really help. I've googled the issue but I haven't found anything that looks very promising. If anyone knows of a quality conversion tool I would really appreciate it. P.S. Sorry about the crosspost, but as this post suggests I'm incredibly lazy. "Ready4Footba...

Add Spell Icon to tool bar.
I cannot find the Spell Checker Icon in any of my pull down menus or add buttons list. Where is it and how do I instal it on my tool bars in Outlook? It is only available using Word as the editor in Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Tazz asked: | I cannot find the Spell Checker Icon in any of my pull down menus or | add buttons list. Where is it and how do I instal it on my tool bars | in Outlook? ...

Adding a space to a string
Hi i am trying to add a space i.e Column A1 " hello " Column B1 "mom" with column C1 reading "hello mom" at the moment it reads "hellomom" i know it maybe a simple question but new to this Paul Hi Paul In C1: =A1&" "&B1 HTH. best wishes Harald "lennymos123" <paul@palo.co.uk> skrev i melding news:1115732307.679428.37970@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi i am trying to add a space i.e Column A1 " hello " Column B1 "mom" > with column C1 reading "hello mom" at the moment it rea...

Adding images to a checkedListBox
If I understood well, I can add not only text but also objects to a checkedListBox. So i'd like to add an image as item to my checkedListBox. I tried this: checkedListBox1.Items.Add(imageList1.Images[0]), but it adds "System.Drawing.Bitmap" instead of an image. I'm still pretty inexperienced with c#, so who can help me with this further. Jasmine ...

Adding additional address lines on version 8
I am modifying the POP Blank Form on version 8 (never been modified before). I have modified the existing Vendor Address 1-3 within Calculated fields to add the Country (removing the last ""). I then create a vendor address 4, which is identical to 1-3 except for a number 4 for the line number. This is what I have done in all previous versions and it has worked fine. When I go to print I get an error "Max symbol length exceeded: Increase MAX_TOK_LEN." If I delete the new calculated field it prints fine. All our SOP reports have the 4 line, but were upgraded to ...

adding an option in the right click menu
Hallo, I would like to add the option "copyto notepad" when I right-click on any cell. Any suggestions how to do this, so the text in the cell will automatically be copied to notepad ? Thanks very much ! Kontiki Hi as starting point some code: Sub Add_Item() Dim New_Entry As Object Set New_Entry = CommandBars("Cell").Controls.Add(Temporary:=True) On Error Resume Next New_Entry.Controls("My message").Delete On Error Goto 0 With New_Entry .Caption = "My message" .OnAction = "Message" End With End Sub Sub Message...

Tools, Proctect
I am not able to edit a sheet that I protected, when I go to Tools, Protection, can not click unprotect sheet as it is grayed. Why is this and what do I need to do. This is in an excel Workbook in Microsoft Office Excel 2003. Is it a shared workbook? If so, check out 'Limitations of shared workbooks' in the help. -- HTH RP "Water" <Water@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CB9772C-C164-47B5-99E0-869FF484819D@microsoft.com... > I am not able to edit a sheet that I protected, when I go to Tools, > Protection, can not click unprotect sheet ...

Convert Excel File to database file
Im trying to find out if there is a way to convert excel data files to qif, ofx or ofc in order to import into MS Money or just import the files directly You can use an add-in http://xl2qif.chez.tiscali.fr/xl2qif_en.php -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MichaelG" <mgalapago@aol.com> wrote in message news:032301c39f1e$a7154490$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Im trying to find out if there is a way to convert excel > data files to qif, ofx or ofc in order to import into MS > Money or just import the files directly ...

Using XML as a Database

"free" ip number when I remove device from database?
Access 2007. Problem is when I delete the device (which has foreign key, ipID) from device table the IP number from IP table (has ID, primary key) also deletes (relation 1:1). I want to "free" ip number when I remove device from database so IP number is not deleted and can be used later. How to accomplish this? Form looks for "free" addresses as follows: SELECT tblIP.ID, [ip] & "." & [ip2] & "." & [ip3] & "." & [ip4] AS [IP- number], tblDevice.ipID FROM tblIP LEFT JOIN tblDevice ON tblIP.ID = tblDevice.ipID...

How does one mount a BCM Database?
I've created a BCM database in Outlook 2003 and I want to move it to another computer. The export feature works great, however, the import in BCM stinks and leaves lots of fields unfilled, such as the document link in the history. I've used Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express on one machine and that works great. However, it only works with SQL Express 2005. What about versions of SQL earlier than 2005? Unfortunately the other machine is a customer machine and I can't install SQL 2005 Express just to do this function. The installation might render BCM totally usele...

Changing acccess database source in Excel 2007
Does anyone know how to change the source from one access 2007 database to a different one when updating an Excel 2007 pivot table? ...