To SQL or not to SQL?

I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access.  I developed it
myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since.
It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003.  My big question is
how or even *if* we should move it to SQL.  My customers are getting bigger
all the time with more users.  Typically our customers run one or two
workstations generally never more than 5.  Performance, however, is starting
to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg.  We also have a LOT of code
behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environment.  A
move to SQL would require substantial work.

I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform. My big
question now is if we should even consider moving to SQL.  I know Access
2007 has a new db format.  If that is faster or able to service more users,
maybe we should just push Terminal Servers and stay right where we are.

If anyone out there has experience along these lines,  I would *gladly* pay
for some consulting time.

TIA

--
Myron Oakley
PCM

0
Myron
1/29/2008 5:24:23 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Access and SQL Server play well together, it may not be that difficult to
move your data to a SQL Server and continue using Access as your interface.
But, unless you have an existing server you can use there is the
consideration of the amount of money you're going to spend on licensing (last
price I saw was running about $13000 for the machine and licenses).

500meg isn't a terribly oversized database, but perhaps (if you haven't
already) you could archive some old data to get its size down.

"Myron Oakley" wrote:

> I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access.  I developed it
> myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since.
> It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003.  My big question is
> how or even *if* we should move it to SQL.  My customers are getting bigger
> all the time with more users.  Typically our customers run one or two
> workstations generally never more than 5.  Performance, however, is starting
> to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg.  We also have a LOT of code
> behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environment.  A
> move to SQL would require substantial work.
>
> I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
> quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform. My big
> question now is if we should even consider moving to SQL.  I know Access
> 2007 has a new db format.  If that is faster or able to service more users,
> maybe we should just push Terminal Servers and stay right where we are.
>
> If anyone out there has experience along these lines,  I would *gladly* pay
> for some consulting time.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Myron Oakley
> PCM
> www.totalmilk.com
> 888-959-7395

I'm not sure why you think "A move to SQL would require substantial work."
Well over half my paying work since 1993 has been on projects with an Access
client application to various server database, including Microsoft SQL
Server, but also including other ODBC-compliant databases such as Informix
and Sybase.  Typically, if you split off the front end, move the tables and
data to the server, and link the tables, most Access databases run without
further ado. When they do not, it usually does not take much tweaking to get
them running. Then it may take a-little-to-a-lot more tweaking to improve
performance, but you can, in my experience, always make it run faster.

Were you under the impression that you'd have to abandon the Access UI with
which your developers and customers are already familiar and do a new "from
the ground up" development?  Certainly not so.

But, with the very limited user audience you have and no bigger database
than that (not implying that 500 MB is tiny, but it's only 1/4 of the way to
the 2GB limit of a single Jet MDB, and I've know of people running multiple
Jet MDB back ends).  I'd first take a look at how I could possibly improve
performance with Access / Jet.  I'm not aware of any performance comparisons
between Jet and the ACCDB database engine of Access 2007. And, until we get
more feedback on SP1 to Access 2007, I'd hesitate to recommend someone put
the database that is their livliehood in in Access 2007.

There is a Microsoft-sponsored newsgroup, microsoft.public.multiuser,
specifically for multi-user Access and Jet Q&A, and there's a "core list" of
some very helpful resource websites at my user group's SharePoint site,
http://sp.ntpcug.org/accesssig/default.aspx. Start with MVP Tony Toews'
site, http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm, and next go to Jeff Conrad's
"Access Junkie" site, also in the same list, that's not to disparage the
other sites on that list, but I know the two I mentioned have good
information and links on your particular subject.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

"Myron Oakley" <moakley@pcmli.com> wrote in message
>I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access.  I developed
>it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever
>since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003.  My big
>question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL.  My customers are
>getting bigger all the time with more users.  Typically our customers run
>one or two workstations generally never more than 5.  Performance, however,
>is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg.  We also have a
>LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development
>environment.  A move to SQL would require substantial work.
>
> I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
> quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform. My big
> question now is if we should even consider moving to SQL.  I know Access
> 2007 has a new db format.  If that is faster or able to service more
> users, maybe we should just push Terminal Servers and stay right where we
> are.
>
> If anyone out there has experience along these lines,  I would *gladly*
> pay for some consulting time.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Myron Oakley
> PCM
> www.totalmilk.com
> 888-959-7395

0
Larry
1/29/2008 8:27:26 PM
Thanks for the info.  I think we could just use SQL server Express, which if
free, for smaller installations.  Some of my customers already have a full
MS SQL license running.

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Access and SQL Server play well together, it may not be that difficult to
> move your data to a SQL Server and continue using Access as your
> interface.
> But, unless you have an existing server you can use there is the
> consideration of the amount of money you're going to spend on licensing
> (last
> price I saw was running about $13000 for the machine and licenses).
>
> 500meg isn't a terribly oversized database, but perhaps (if you haven't
> already) you could archive some old data to get its size down.
>

> "Myron Oakley" wrote:
>
>> I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access.  I developed
>> it
>> myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever
>> since.
>> It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003.  My big question
>> is
>> how or even *if* we should move it to SQL.  My customers are getting
>> bigger
>> all the time with more users.  Typically our customers run one or two
>> workstations generally never more than 5.  Performance, however, is
>> starting
>> to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg.  We also have a LOT of code
>> behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environment.
>> move to SQL would require substantial work.
>>
>> I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
>> quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform. My big
>> question now is if we should even consider moving to SQL.  I know Access
>> 2007 has a new db format.  If that is faster or able to service more
>> users,
>> maybe we should just push Terminal Servers and stay right where we are.
>>
>> If anyone out there has experience along these lines,  I would *gladly*
>> pay
>> for some consulting time.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Myron Oakley
>> PCM
>> www.totalmilk.com
>> 888-959-7395

0
Myron
1/29/2008 11:00:53 PM
Thanks for all the info,  I will check it out.

I guess I really forgot to mention I did have the application "kind of"
running with MySQL and ODBC.  Some dialogs and menus worked, but a lot
didn't.  Performance was pretty bad.  I have done a bunch of "reading up" on
a migration to SQL server in particular the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's
Reference and SQL: Access to SQL Server.  We pretty well use bound tables or
queries on most all forms and I understand, with SQL server,  there are
issues, record locking, updating, etc..  We're also using a DAO in vba,  I
*believe* this would all have to be changed to ADO with SQL server.  I guess
we'll just have to wait for a bit are far as Access 2007?

"Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message
> [...]
>>getting bigger all the time with more users.  Typically our customers run
>>one or two workstations generally never more than 5.  Performance,
>>however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg.  We also
>>have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access
>>development environment.  A move to SQL would require substantial work.
>>
>> I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
>> quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform. My big
>> question now is if we should even consider moving to SQL.  I know Access
>> 2007 has a new db format.  If that is faster or able to service more
>> users, maybe we should just push Terminal Servers and stay right where we
>> are.
>>
>> If anyone out there has experience along these lines,  I would *gladly*

0
Myron
1/29/2008 11:17:02 PM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:27:26 -0600, "Larry Linson"
<bouncer@localhost.not> wrote:

>Typically, if you split off the front end, move the tables and
>data to the server, and link the tables, most Access databases run without
>further ado. When they do not, it usually does not take much tweaking to get
>them running. Then it may take a-little-to-a-lot more tweaking to improve
>performance, but you can, in my experience, always make it run faster.

Hi Myron,

I agree with Larry's statements (as usual), and I'll add that there
are some cases where performance won't improve much (or can even
degrade) using linked tables with SQL Server.  You might just want to
try it and see - it isn't too difficult to just relink all your tables
to the SQL backend and test it out.

There are a few code changes you'll need to make (for example, you
won't get a new AutoNumber/Identity key value after .AddNew in a
recordset, you need to retrieve it after the .Update), but they are
pretty straightforward.

We do a ton of Access-SQL development and we have a list of tips on
making it perform well.  You can see a summary in the Best of Both
Worlds document at
http://www.jstreettech.com/cartgenie/pg_developerDownloads.asp.

Hope this helps,

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

0
Armen
1/29/2008 11:25:56 PM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:00:53 -0600, "Myron Oakley" <moakley@pcmli.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the info.  I think we could just use SQL server Express, which if
>free, for smaller installations.  Some of my customers already have a full
>MS SQL license running.

Hi Myron,

I agree.  Even the free Express version of SQL Server will give you
more horsepower and features than Jet if developed correctly, and the
price is right!  This would give you the ability to use one code base
for the small customers, scaling up for larger customers by upgrading
to higher versions of SQL Server.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com

0
Armen
1/29/2008 11:29:39 PM
Per Myron Oakley:
>I recently installed a Dell 2900 dual quad core xeon Terminal Server and
>quickly discovered the application now screams on this platform.

Could somebody clarify this?

What I'm getting out of it is that Myron set up a really fast box
that his users can use RemoteDesktop or something similar to get
to from their slower PCs and run the app there.

If I've got it right so far, it would seem that response time
would be limited only by the speed/capacity of that super box and
the ability of the LAN to carry the terminal server's screen
updates.

And I'd think the LAN's ability to carry those screen updates
would be moot since I get 100% acceptable response time on Remote
Desktop over a sub-five meg Verizon internet connection.

If this jells so far, two questions:
1) Is there a product that will allow my users to open up a
   window into the terminal server without having the client
   take over their whole PC?    I'm guessing Remote Desktop
   is one.  Gotchas with Remote Desktop?  Better products?

2) Am I on the right track thinking that this could be a solution
   to my client's more-or-less steadily degrading response time
   on three of my applications?

   Seems like with a fast enough box and a certain minimum LAN
   capacity, the LAN and file servers would be completely out of
   the picture response-time-wise.
PeteCresswell
0
PeteCresswell
1/30/2008 3:30:45 AM
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:30:45 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote:

>1) Is there a product that will allow my users to open up a
>   window into the terminal server without having the client
>   take over their whole PC?    I'm guessing Remote Desktop
>   is one.  Gotchas with Remote Desktop?  Better products?

A client of mine uses Citrix Server (and a distributed Citrix client as a
remote desktop). It needn't take over the client machine; it just runs in a
window. I have one open right now as a matter of fact.

>2) Am I on the right track thinking that this could be a solution
>   to my client's more-or-less steadily degrading response time
>   on three of my applications?

Yep. Worth trying at any rate!

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
1/30/2008 5:20:33 AM
> 1) Is there a product that will allow my users to open up a
>   window into the terminal server without having the client
>   take over their whole PC?    I'm guessing Remote Desktop
>   is one.  Gotchas with Remote Desktop?  Better products?

RD does not "take over their whole PC".  You just need more viewing area.
I run dual monitors and sometimes actually have two RD sessions running. On
a single RD session, I put it on one monitor and have my local desktop on
the
other. You can even cut and paste between your pc and the RD session.

> 2) Am I on the right track thinking that this could be a solution
>   to my client's more-or-less steadily degrading response time
>   on three of my applications?

Tell you what,  you can kill youself trying to optimise the application
or, for around $5K, pretty well fix it all  AND even provide decent
remote access.  Yesterday I started playing around with Quickbooks
on the Terminal Server.  Got it up and running in about an hour and was
totally amazed by that installation also.  I think you do need some
real horsepower on the server.  I have a dual quan core xeons with
4 gig of memory and raid 5 drive.  If I was to go over 5 users,  I'd
probably add another 2 gig of memory.

>   Seems like with a fast enough box and a certain minimum LAN
>   capacity, the LAN and file servers would be completely out of
>   the picture response-time-wise.
> PeteCresswell

0
Myron
1/30/2008 1:05:02 PM
Per Myron Oakley:
> I have a dual quan core xeons with
>4 gig of memory and raid 5 drive.  If I was to go over 5 users,  I'd
>probably add another 2 gig of memory.

Running the Server flavor of Windows XP?
--
PeteCresswell
0

> you can kill youself trying to optimise the application
> or, for around $5K,

It doesn't require that much money, actually, if you know what you
need to buy and have other servers on the local LAN (especially if
your servers are on a GB segment of the LAN), you don't need much
disk space in the terminal server, so you can spend all your money
on RAM. I always budget 128MBs per simultaneous user, and that seems
to work fairly well (as much of the RAM is shared; i.e., each user
doesn't end up with a full copy of all of Access running in memory).

> pretty well fix it all  AND even provide decent
> remote access.  Yesterday I started playing around with Quickbooks
> on the Terminal Server.

This is an excellent way to provide shared access to Quickbooks
files. I have tried to get some of my clients who use QB and pass
around files to use Terminal Server so they can edit the same files.
One client is actually doing it (they have five branches with a home
office, and financial operations are maintained by each branch and
overseen by the accounting department in the main office), and it
works really great.

> Got it up and running in about an hour and was
> totally amazed by that installation also.  I think you do need
> some real horsepower on the server.  I have a dual quan core xeons
> with 4 gig of memory and raid 5 drive.  If I was to go over 5
> users,  I'd probably add another 2 gig of memory.

I think that's *way* over spec for that number of users. I have a
client with 10 simultaneous users running very well on 2GBs of RAM
on a fast dual-core Xeon. It's actually a couple of years old, and
they've been very happy with it. They skimped on hard drive space in
the server, since they had a huge amount of it on nearby servers on
the same GB LAN segment.

David
1/30/2008 4:59:58 PM
"(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid> wrote in

> Per Myron Oakley:
>> I have a dual quan core xeons with
>>4 gig of memory and raid 5 drive.  If I was to go over 5 users,
>>I'd probably add another 2 gig of memory.
>
> Running the Server flavor of Windows XP?

That would be Windows Server 2003, the best version of Windows ever
(next best is Win2K).

David
1/30/2008 5:00:26 PM
Per David W. Fenton:
>That would be Windows Server 2003, the best version of Windows ever
>(next best is Win2K).

I've got it available on my MSDN discs.

Do you think it's worth installing Windows Server 2003 instead of
Windows XP if/when I have to rebuild my developer PC from
scratch?
--
PeteCresswell
0

> Do you think it's worth installing Windows Server 2003 instead of
> Windows XP if/when I have to rebuild my developer PC from
> scratch?

Not unless you want to test in a server environment (such as how
apps run in Terminal Server). On the other hand, MichKa used to
install the server versions on his laptop!

David

Calling Dex Procedures from SQL

SQL 'for xml' and C# example??

sql summarizing help

Update multivalue field in table from form with SQL
Access 2007 on Vista I am using a form to establish the variables for a report before it is created. One field on the underlying table is a multivalue field, and the form includes a multi-select combo box control. After selections are made and the OK button on the multi-select combo drop down is clicked, focus moves to the next control. I have discovered though, that the underlying table does not update immediately, but does so correctly when I close the form. This sequence does not deliver the proper report data, so I need a way to immediately update the underlying table (m...

Refer to SQL statements globally
I have two large SQL statements that I need to use across several forms, reports, etc. Rather than repeat them in each form, I'm trying to store and reference them globally. For example, I'd like to store strSQL1 and strSQL2 in a global module, so I can use either like this in a form: Random form: Me!lstResults.RowSource = strSQL1 Random report: Me.Report.RecordSource = strSQL2 Would I just store the SQL statements in a global module like: Public Function SQLSource() As String Dim strSQL1 As String Dim strSQL2 As String strSQL1 = "SELECT blah blah...

To SQL or not to SQL?
I have a very vertical product developed 100% in M/S Access. I developed it myself in 1993 in the initial release of Access and been with it ever since. It is currently very stable and running in Access 2003. My big question is how or even *if* we should move it to SQL. My customers are getting bigger all the time with more users. Typically our customers run one or two workstations generally never more than 5. Performance, however, is starting to slow with database sizes passing 500 meg. We also have a LOT of code behind forms so are bound tightly to the Access development environ...

PostgreSQL or other SQL servers in RMS
Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 for large databases? David "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1783A90D-AF3E-4D91-A445-0039D4E7E379@microsoft.com... > Has anyone successfully implemented RMS with one of the free SQL servers? > Theoretically, is there any reason why we have to use MS SQL Server 2000 > for > large databases? RMS has implemented only for MS SQL Server (2000/MSDE) and isn't possible to work with ano...

writeback to SQL 2005
hello! I use excel 2007 iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table. In my workbook i can now see this data from this table. if i change a value in some cell i wish to writeback to table in SQL server. Is this possible? It's possible through the use of VBA and ADO, but not simply using the data connection you've already established. Ross "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D54EC521-0DD5-4B3D-971B-4FF3394D6FA8@microsoft.com... > hello! I use excel 2007 > iI open a connection agianst SQL server 2005 and choose a table...

sql.request #2
Does anyone have a comprehensible guide on how to use it that a dolt like me can follow? Every time I try I get a #N/A. The only guide I can find is at http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/UsingSqlRequest.zip but it's really hard to follow. From the MSDN Library: http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/office97/html/SEC41.asp Not sure how familiar you are with ODBC; but if you are getting #N/A as a result, it is usually because of problems either with the SQL syntax or the connection string. There are a few examples of connection strings in the re...

MSDE or SQL Personal or SQL Developer? or SQL Workstation?
Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? Thank you. It depends on what edition of GP you are going to run. If you are going to use Professional, you need to go with SQL Server developer, assuming you are installing on a non-server OS. "ano" wrote: > Hi, which one is better for personal non-server computer? MSDE? SQL Personal? > SQL Developer? SQL Workstation? > Thank you. Is the function of SQL Developer the same as Enterprise edition? How about personal edition? Can it be used for GP Pro? Can dev...

Excel RoundUp in Transact-SQL
Last week I posted the following computation in Excel... roundup(roundup(rate * 500),4) - roundup(rate * 200,4) + polfee,2) ((6.108934 * (500000/1000)) - (200 * 6.108934) + 1311.51) = 3144.20 In SQL using round(num,4) = 3144.19 I've moded this to... round(num+0.0005,4) = 3144.20 This works most of the time but occasionally I'm still off from what Excel returns. I'm under 2% in my 342 calcs, so it's do-able and we'll explain if any client notes this that we've reduced their pmt by .01 cents. BUT, I'd still like a way to replicate Excel'...

Access frontend with SQL Server backend: my solution for ODBC Call error
Hi This thread follows threads I started in forums microsoft.public.access.forms, and microsoft.sqlserver.programming: 1. 'Overriding constraint violation message' at 21.04.2010 12:00; 2. 'Overriding constraint restriction message, when deleting record(s) from form' at 29.04.2010 10:36. The problem (Occurs in Access 2000 mdb as stated by MS and in Access 2007 mdb as I myself discovered): When record operation is aborted from SQL Server, Access gets the full information about error, but this info gets unaccessible at moment when OnError event is triggered. The...

SQL
Hi, i am new in Sql express i am trying to create a database in sql but i dont now how can i install the database in other computer or a server programmatically where the other computer have the sql and if is a server what i nead to do . or only what i need is a valid conection ; i use the localhots to identify any clinte machine but i dont now what i need to writh for the servers my conection is look like this as a defualt from MFC hr = _db.OpenFromInitializationString(L"Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Data.mdf;Data Sour...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

SQL Study Group
sql-study-group@googlegroups.com Please join for support our SQL Study Group ------=_NextPart_0001_3CECC08E Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit For those who want to join, the URL is http://groups.google.com/group/sql-study-group David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com http://blogs.msdn.com/DevelopingForDynamicsGP Any views contained within are my personal views a...

SQL 2008 and SRS
I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2008 Standard. The consultant who will be doing the SQL work reminded me to install SRS. Is SRS included with SQL 2008 Standard? Thanks, John SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is part of 2008 Standard Edition. RLF "John" <bsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:%23DpI1bfcKHA.808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to >seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2...

IM with SQL 2000 to SQL 2005
Can IM be used to take data from an SQL 2000 database for use with GP 8.0 running on SQL 2005. Basilcy I need to extract order information from a website running on SQL 2000 and insert in in GP 8.0 Possible? Thanks Terry Yes, you can use SQL Server 2000 databases as a data source for Integration Manager with GP 8 running on SQL 2000/2005. -- Charles Allen, MVP "TerryB" wrote: > Can IM be used to take data from an SQL 2000 database for use with GP 8.0 > running on SQL 2005. > > Basilcy I need to extract order information from a website running on SQL > 2...

T-SQL to PL-SQL
Hello, can sombody help me to translate that script in oracle? DECLARE @ID INT DECLARE CURSEURS_JOBS CURSOR FOR SELECT REF_RE_JOB_POSTING_ID FROM DM_RE_JOB_POSTING OPEN CURSEURS_JOBS FETCH CURSEURS_JOBS INTO @ID WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0 BEGIN update DM_RE_JOB_POSTING set publishedI = (select CASE WHEN rjpd.internal = 1 and (rjp.internal_external in ('B','I')) THEN ( CASE WHEN rjpd.start_date is null and rjpd.end_date is not null and rjpd.end_date >= getdate() THEN ( SELECT 'I' ) WHEN rjpd.start_date is...

debug sql, Watch, Command Window, see cotent
Hi, I know how to get into debug mode, place break point etc in a stroed proc in SQL Server Management Studio. But after it hits a break print, what actions I can take to peek the data? e.g. I try to see a temp table has just been populated? I can not put "select top 1 col1 from #tempTable1" in watch list. It says it could not be evalulated I can not execute it in Command window. How can I look at data? How can I execute addintion sql statements? What command supported in "Command Window"? Thanks, The easiest way is put a SELECT statement in you...

Use the OBDC that GP10 creates when in SQL 2005
Some time back, when we first installed GP10 in our SQL2000, we were recommeded NOT to use the ODBC that GP10 created. We just upgraded to SQL2005 and fully installed all SPs. We also made clean install of GP10 under this engine. Should we the ODBC created by GP, or still use the use the same configuration of ODBC SQL2000? Is ther a link where we can click to and see step by step to create a proper ODBC for GP10? ...

upgrading from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 with a clean install of CRM 3.
I just finished installing SBS 2003 and SQL 2000 along with CRM 3.0 no data or customization has been done in CRM. Then I received the SBS 2003 R2 disk, which has what I originally want SQL 2005. So now I have 2 instances of SQL running and CRM is attached to SQL 2000. My ? is how do I get CRM to recognize SQL 2005. Can I uninstall CRM, then uninstall SQL 2000, then reinstall CRM? What can I do. Alan Alberani Ticket Angels Traffic Ticket Defense 954-682-6020 Hi Alan, Did you install Windows SBS 2003 R2 in a different server or you did an upgrade to the existing server and have SQL ...

Connection to Sql-7 Database Fails
Hello All, Here is my problem. I have a Windows SBS 2003 Server with around 7 XP Clients. Since i have a SQL2000 database on the server, i installed a SQL7 database on one of the client machine which runs on XP. Now when my program access the same from database from the same machine it connects Now i tried to access the same database from a different XP machine , i am getting time out. Now if i give the user Administrative rights on my SBS server, i am able to connect to the machine. The problem seems with some security or rights issuse. How can my users connect to the dat...