text field with input mask

Hi all,I have a text field with field size of 6, input mask of &99.99. So it is ok for me to data entry data like E55.66, or 777.88. Now I need enter E123.45. If I change it to field size 7 and input mask of C999.99, I can enter E123.45, but all of my old data will be wrong. What should I do to keep all the old data right and also be able to enter my now data?Thanks,Blinda
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Blinda" wrote:> Hi all,> > I have a text field with field size of 6, input mask of &99.99. So it is ok > for me to data entry data like E55.66, or 777.88. > > Now I need enter E123.45. If I change it to field size 7 and input mask of > C999.99, I can enter E123.45, but all of my old data will be wrong. What > should I do to keep all the old data right and also be able to enter my now > data?> > Thanks,> > Blinda>
Your input mask needs to be adjusted.  To clarify, here's a little about the characters used in your masks...The positions where you are using a '9' will only accommodate a digit or a space.  But, your earlier data had an alpha character in the position you have now defined as a digit or space only.  Thus, the old data no longer meets the criteria of the new input mask.Depending on the number of variations of where in your data the "E" might appear, you'll have to craft your input mask accodingly."Blinda" wrote:> Hi all,> > I have a text field with field size of 6, input mask of &99.99. So it is ok > for me to data entry data like E55.66, or 777.88. > > Now I need enter E123.45. If I change it to field size 7 and input mask of > C999.99, I can enter E123.45, but all of my old data will be wrong. What > should I do to keep all the old data right and also be able to enter my now > data?> > Thanks,> > Blinda>
Thanks. I tried C&99.99, still have the same problem for the old data. do you know how can I add a space at the beginning of my old data? If I could set my field size to 7 and add a space to all of my old data, it should be ok for me to use input mask of C&99.99.  Please help."FedBrad" wrote:> Your input mask needs to be adjusted.  To clarify, here's a little about the > characters used in your masks...> > The positions where you are using a '9' will only accommodate a digit or a > space.  But, your earlier data had an alpha character in the position you > have now defined as a digit or space only.  Thus, the old data no longer > meets the criteria of the new input mask.> > Depending on the number of variations of where in your data the "E" might > appear, you'll have to craft your input mask accodingly.> > > > > "Blinda" wrote:> > > Hi all,> > > > I have a text field with field size of 6, input mask of &99.99. So it is ok > > for me to data entry data like E55.66, or 777.88. > > > > Now I need enter E123.45. If I change it to field size 7 and input mask of > > C999.99, I can enter E123.45, but all of my old data will be wrong. What > > should I do to keep all the old data right and also be able to enter my now > > data?> > > > Thanks,> > > > Blinda> >

TEXT = text

How can I create an ASCII file with double quotes around each field?
I need to convert Excel files to ASCII files with commas as delimiters. That part is easy. The problem is that I need each field to be surounded by double quotes. Here is an example of what my ASCII output needs to look like: "smith","robert","15","elm","street" "jones","robert","111","main","avenue" Can anyone suggest a solution on how I can convert my excel file to ASCII output as shown in my example? thanks very much! I can get the data into the correct format but then you will need to ...

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Crm field help
Hi there, is there any easy way to introduce help info when passing with the mouse pointer above a field? Thanks in advance! ...

QUERY FIELD SUM
In have the following in my first field. K:IIF([PL4HX4.RK]=1,"2",IIF([PL4HX4.RK]=2,"1","")) I have the following in my second field. H:IIF([PL4HX4.RH]=1,"2",IIF([PL4HX4.RH]=2,"1","")) What would i write in my third field to get the sum of K + H ? Thanks ed should be as easy as: L: [K] + [H] However, you see that you are returning "1" which is a string, as opposed 1 the number. You might want to change the values to 2, 1, and 0 depending on what you are trying to accomplish. >> What would i writ...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Ranking Numbers with Text

want to save the record number in a field
This shold be simple, but I can't find and info on it. When starting a new record I would like to populate a field with the record number and save it in in the table. Record numbers you see at the bottom of the display are 'relative' only. Access stores records like a barrel of bricks, all in a jumble. You have to sort the records in a query, form, or report. But you can use a field with an Autonumber to number records. The numbers may not be continous without gaps but will be a unique value. -- Build a little, test a little. "fransquest" wrote...

Null in text box

Joining fields
Can I join fields in a query? Example I have a Home Name, a Mothers name and a Fathers name. Can I join these in a query to show HOME, Father & Mother on 1 line? ...

How to auto fill fields on subform from data on main form?
To all, I have a Main form with multiple tabs, the form is for employee information, one of the tabs a has a subform where I'll record the names of the employees children if he/she has any. The subform will work if I make the datasheet use a lookup to the employee table, but then I have to select the employee each time I want to add a record in the children subform. I changed the children table to not use the lookup to clerks on the employee name. I had the subform working, (by working I mean, I manualy had to select the employee from the lookup) but I had the subform select the emplo...

Re: Using Text Styles

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

requery field in Sub-SubForm
I have a form within a form within a form f001ProjectReview (Main Form), f019Warranty (SubForm), f019WarrantyDetails (sub-subForm) When the ProjectID changes on the main form, I need to requery the UnitNoOpt combobox in the sub-subForm. I tried ... amoung other attempts Me.f019Warranty.Form!f019WarrantyDetails.Form!UnitNoOpt.Requery Thank you for your help -- deb Deb, That syntax looks good to me. What event are you running this code on? What is the Row Source of the combobox? -- Steve Schapel, Microsoft Access MVP deb wrote: > > I have a form within a form within a form...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

2007 Percent field Issues
We just converted to Office 2007, but my database is 2003 so that could be my issue. (I don't have the time to convert the db to 2007 and do any clean up at this time.) Here is my problem: I have a field called "Percent Discount" with a field size set to Single and no decimal places. On the form, the user types in 10% into the field (2007 automatically shows the % sign). The next field is an expression =[Amount]-[Dollar Discount]-[Percent Discount] (The usercan give a dollar discount or a percent discount depending on theirneeds). It is only subtracting .1% rather than 10%. How...