Table security

I have an Access 2003 database. On a form a user can select values by
means of a combobox. If the user enters a value that is not present in
the underlying table, the 'on not in list' event asks the user if he/
she would like to add the new entry to the table. If the user answers
yes, a password form will be displayed asking the user for a password.
If the password is correct, the new entry will be added to the table.
However, the user could also bypass this by simply select the table
and add the new entry manually. How do I prevent the user from doing
that? Is there a way to force the user to always add new entries to a
table throught the form?
0
Ixtreme
5/27/2010 2:16:33 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?

How does the user know which table to add the record to?

One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms to
the user.

Another might be to "hide" the tables.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Ixtreme" <mabrande@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access 2003 database. On a form a user can select values by
> means of a combobox. If the user enters a value that is not present in
> the underlying table, the 'on not in list' event asks the user if he/
> she would like to add the new entry to the table. If the user answers
> yes, a password form will be displayed asking the user for a password.
> If the password is correct, the new entry will be added to the table.
> However, the user could also bypass this by simply select the table
> and add the new entry manually. How do I prevent the user from doing
> that? Is there a way to force the user to always add new entries to a
> table throught the form?

0
Jeff
5/27/2010 4:16:32 PM
You need to implement User Level Security. That way you can restrict user to
certain forms and reports plus not allow them to even see the tables.

However this is a LOT of work both to set up and maintain. Unless you have a
very valid requirement, such as HIPPA or some other law, to keep users out of
the table, I suggest that you don't sweat the small stuff and allow users
access to things. Just keep frequent backups.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

On 27 mei, 18:16, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?

I am not sure what you mean. But he can just go to the tables,
reports, queries etc by just minimizing the active form.

> How does the user know which table to add the record to?

It's more like that I don't want the unauthorized user to add records
to certain tables. Only an administrator should be able to add
records. For example: a combobox contains a predefined list of
Officers. I don't want each user to add new records for the same
person eg. J. White, Jimmy White, J White.

> One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms to
> the user.

Via Tools, Startup? But that can easily be changed by the user right?

> Another might be to "hide" the tables.
How do I do that? in VBA? Could you please explain in more detail?

0
Ixtreme
5/28/2010 6:41:30 AM
On 27 mei, 22:29, Jerry Whittle
<JerryWhit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> You need to implement User Level Security. That way you can restrict user to
> certain forms and reports plus not allow them to even see the tables.
>
> However this is a LOT of work both to set up and maintain. Unless you have a
> very valid requirement, such as HIPPA or some other law, to keep users out of
> the table, I suggest that you don't sweat the small stuff and allow users
> access to things. Just keep frequent backups.

I read the stories about user level security and I must say I am not
very keen on that option. The database is used within a risk
management department. Some comboboxes are restricted to certain
values eg Obligations. I don't want the user to add values by
themselves.
0
Ixtreme
5/28/2010 6:46:34 AM
You can disable the database window, the shortcut (right-click) menus, etc.
via the Startup settings.

You can remove the "X" (close this form/window) and maximize the form on the
screen.

If you let the users get "behind" the forms, you better be darned sure they
understand relational database design and the tips/tricks of using Access.
Otherwise, you lead them to believe that tables are just like spreadsheets,
and that they can type anything anywhere.

That's the reason Access offers forms, so you can direct/control what users
see and how they enter/edit data.

> On 27 mei, 18:16, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
>> How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?
>
> I am not sure what you mean. But he can just go to the tables,
> reports, queries etc by just minimizing the active form.
>

>> How does the user know which table to add the record to?
>
> It's more like that I don't want the unauthorized user to add records
> to certain tables. Only an administrator should be able to add
> records. For example: a combobox contains a predefined list of
> Officers. I don't want each user to add new records for the same
> person eg. J. White, Jimmy White, J White.
>
>> One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms
>> the user.
>
> Via Tools, Startup? But that can easily be changed by the user right?
>
>> Another might be to "hide" the tables.
> How do I do that? in VBA? Could you please explain in more detail?

0
Jeff

Combobox for Table, From Table
Hi, The online help function tells me I cant make a combobox which finds its entries from a table and stores its entries in the same table. I want users to be able to enter areas where clients live. The combobox needs to fill the Area column in the appropriate table. But I want the combobox to be filled with previous entries from the same column, with the provision that a new entry can be made. The project is expanding thats why I need this. Or do I need to make an extra table with areas that can be filled with a separate command, which is then used as a source for the com...

pivot table again
i have a range of fields in a pivot table some are qty others are value how can i split the table into two seperate sections one showing qty and the other showing values (if that makes sense) If your quantities and values are in the same column, you'd need to use a "helper column" that differetiates them (Qty vs Amt) Then you can include that field in the pivot table before tha field containing the quantities and amounts. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "max power" wrote: > i have a range of fields in a pivot table some are qty other...

Data table in chart?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01A9_01C69782.28506D60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some line chart portraying responses to 20 items. I would like to put a table under each chart the shows the value of not = only the responses that are charted but also the percentage difference = between the two. My problem and the question is that if I use the 'data table' option in = creating the chart the row with the difference is not there. Then if I = try to paste a table under ...

Copy data from on table to another ?
I have lost a lot of data in my backend, but it is only data from a few columns, in one tabel, that I have lost. My tabel is called taCustemor, and the columns in that table is called fakFirm, fakAdress. I have use a custemornumber as a primarykey. So now I want to copy only these columns from my backup of the backend to my backend in use. I'm sure that I can do this buy using SQL, but I'm not sure how to make this querie. Can some one out there help me ? You want to use an append query. See Help file for info. In the database where you want the data to be when you're done, ...

Landscape Table on Portrait Page
Is it possible to create a landscape table on a portrait page, i.e. a page with a normal portrait header and footer? I am aware that one can change the text direction of each cell in the table to simulate a landscape table, but I would like to know if there is not an easier way. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/LandscapeSection.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Johann Swart" <JohannSwart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1119FBC3-2001-48C7-B02E-07D85C7F444E@mic...

Where is tables in reports
Is there anyway to get tables into reports? If there is none then is there a work around. The forms I have to make use many block cells. In word tables makes things easy. ...

Ensuring only one commission per product in Access Table
Good afternoon, Please can someone help me. In my Access Database I have a table called tblCommission, with the fields: Commission_ID;Client_account; Product_code; Commission; Exchange (£ or $) I need a method to ensure that each client can have a commission set for every product - but that a client cant have to commission's for one product: eg: I need a method to prevent this: Comm_ID Client_account Product_code Commission Exchange 1 000001 Coke 3 $ 2 000001 Coke ...

Table Expert
When a case is resolved, there is a dropdown to select the amount of "Billable Time" for the case. I have searched tables but cannot find where this data is stored. Is there anyone that know the schema where this data is kept? Bryon, When you resolve a case, the resolution screen fields are added into the activity table as a resolution type of activity. The Billable Time value appears in the TimeSpent field. (While building my auditing application, VAST, I've had to become much more of a CRM schema expert that I ever wanted to be - by the way, you can see these reso...

Recreating HR tables
I've been having some problems with HR. I've had to create some tables so the program would run. I simply copied the tables from another compagnie where is was saying I had missing tables. I'm wondering if there is a list of Tables for HR and Canadian Payroll or if it were possible to recreate these missing tables another way? I currently have this error as well: Could not find stored procedure 'Compagnie.dbo.hrCompDoesHrCompExist' ...

How do you create a table with a shaded header in Word 2007 or 201
Hi.. Can anybody tell me, how you create a table, and then shade the first row in it to something like gray, then set the grid lines to gray or something, and maybe set the alignment in it to centered... This is 2007 or 2010, not 2003 in which it was possible to do so. Thanks. Select the first row of the table and then right click with the mouse and select Borders and shading. For the alignment, select and right click and select Cell alignment -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting ba...

Pivot table subtotals 100% #2
This is what I am aiming for but how can I get 100% in subtotals for first year and the increase %age for the second and subsequent year please 2002 2003 Apples excellent 15 22.72% 16 24.23% good 21 31.82% 25 37.88% poor 30 46.46% 39 60.39% 66 100% 80 122.5% Greens excellent 12 17.65% 37 54.42% good 27 39.70% 51 74.98% poor 29 42.65% 47 69.12% ...

Macro Security #3
In the process of building an Excel spreadsheet, I added a couple of macros. (Mistake #1, I know.) I don't really need the macros, so I deleted them and saved the file. But now when I go to re-open the file, I get that annoying little "Macros may contain viruses, it is always safe to disable macros, but if the macros are legitimate, blah, blah, blah..." dialog box. (There are no macros listed in the Macro dialog box when I do the ol' Alt+F8.) I know I can reset my security level to high and not have to deal with this, but I don't want to do that; I want Excel to recogn...

Table info
In Vendor Maintenance window , there are multiple Address ID's. In which table i can find this information. Great Plains 7.5 Thanks in advance Deepwater, PM00300 holds all the address information for each address ID. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html "Deepwater" <Deepwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9296B22-2B44-4D64-9E3C-DC5FE4B07028@microsoft.com... > In Vendor Maintenance window , there are multiple Address ID's. In which > table i can find this...

Extender tables #2
Hello! We are implementing an integration from Microsoft CRM into Microsoft Great Plains and this would include writing CRM fields to Extender Fields. Are there any available SDK's for Extender or maybe any table lists? Thanks, Andi Saldana There are but I think only partners can get them. Please send me a message and I'll send you what I have. "Andi Saldana" wrote: > Hello! > > We are implementing an integration from Microsoft CRM into Microsoft Great > Plains and this would include writing CRM fields to Extender Fields. Are > there any avai...

Pivot Table Axis format
Hi. I have a macro that creates a pivot-table and pivot chart. The X-axis is a date. In the raw data, the date is formated as month/day. This is the way I want it on the chart. However, the X-axis formats with month/day/year. How can I force this to display correctly? Thanks, Mike. Do you see a grey little dropdown under the X axis (where you can choose your dates to show)? If yes, then rightclick on it. Select the top option: "Format pivotchart field" then click on the Number button on the next dialog. There are a bunch of date formats that you can choose from. Maybe...

Configuring Security Roles in GP10
I am working on configuring the security roles for our users in GP10. It looks reasonably straightforward until you run into something that doesn't work. Then figuring out what checkbox is missing can be a bear. In the current case I need to enable the user to perform bank reconciliation. I have checked: "ADMIN_FIN_004* Set up Bank Reconciliation" and "TRX_FIN_008* Reconcile bank statements" those being the only items I find referencing reconciliation. Naturally she has many other However, the user still gets the message that she is not authorized to perform...

Inserting table to other table
I have a form which consists of a table. I want to insert some selected value into other table when i update and at the same time I want it to save into my own table too... May I know the way please..... -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200704/1 I'm having trouble visualizing your situation. Could you provide an example of data? -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ Microsoft Registered Partner http...

Pivot Table not sorting correctly
In column A I have several of the same names listed more than once spelled exactly the same but when these line are pulled into a pivot table each is displayed seperately. I followed the same exact procedure for this table as I have for the others that I displayed correctly. What causes those lines to be displayed on separate lines? Perhaps some of the entries have space characters at the end, and others don't. Marian wrote: > In column A I have several of the same names listed more than once spelled > exactly the same but when these line are pulled into a pivot table each ...

table to new table
hi thanks for your time and help i have an access table which is an automatic update so its data is constantly changing but the fields stay the same. i need to be able to transfer the data at the click of a button from the linked table into an access table without deleting the data already stored in the main table. i have tried looking at the transfer spreadsheet but this does not work. thanks for the help hi, Rivers wrote: > i have an access table which is an automatic update so its data is > constantly changing but the fields stay the same. > i need to be able to transfer...

Pivote table adding Fileds
Dear All Happy new year I had creat pivote table on table that was exported from Access (it was exported from query that based on relation beteen tabled ) ,if i make refreshing data on the same filds the new data will be refrexhed withot any problem , but when i add new filds in the query and exported again (with the same name and the same orginal fields but with one or two more additional fileds ) if i make refresh he can get and match the old filds but not the new filds , so i can not add this filds to the pivote table unless i restart the pivote table from the start , MY Question is , is...

TAble Insert
I have a person table that has id, firstname, lastname, address, city, state, zip. I have set all fields except id to have required = no and allow zero length = yes. But when I try the following query it will not insert the record because the firstname is not filled out. Any ideas? INSERT INTO person ( id, lastname, firstname, address, city, state, zip ) VALUES (1783, 'Hacienda La Daniela', '', '5310 SW 192 Avenue', 'Sw Ranches', 'Fl', '33331'); Try inserting Null instead of a zero-length string: INSERT INTO ... VALUES (1783, 'Hacienda...

Hope I've expressed my question correctly in the title. I have two separate tables. Table1: fldIDRepairName << AutoNumber and Primary Key fldRepairName << Index, Unique fldIDGroupName << Link to Foreign Table Table 2 ( I call this Foreign): fldIDGroupName <<AutoNumber and Primary Key fldGroupName ================== If trying to load an alphabetical list of the "fldRepairName" in Table 1: and at the same time get the "fldGroupName" into a second list box?? =================== If I loop "Tabl...

Pivot Table
As with a previous question, I have a large set of data (20,000 rows and about 100 coulmns). I wish to select about 60 columns to place in pivot "data" (along with others into "Rows"). Is there a way to select multiple columns (say all 60?) and move into "Data" in one step? Are there add-ins that help with this? Doing all 60 is possible but slow and somewhat error prone. Thanks in advance. Hi Johnny The following code should get you started on what you want to do. In this example the first column of source data is added to Page area, the seco...

Error Message (Same table, cannot be the the child of two nested relations)
We created a XML Schema that has nested table relations. We had the following Warning message come up. An unhandled exception of the type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in system.data.dll Additional information: The same Table (DOS_Identifiers) cannot be the child table in two nested relations. Does anyone know a workaround for this problem? You are suppose to be able to do this according to the standard from W3C. HELP! Thanks in advance -={Brian Kedersha}=- bkedersha@aol.com kedershab@cox.net Brian, It's an acknowledged limitation of the DataSet [0]. The linked po...

Adding cells to pivot table
Is it possible, once a pivot table is created, to add a few more rows of source data to the original data range? Stephen You can use a dynamic data source for the pivot table. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html Stephen Boulet wrote: > Is it possible, once a pivot table is created, to add a few more rows of > source data to the original data range? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Thanks for the hint ... that will work in a pinch; I just need to remember to set up the table with a ...