Table security

I have an Access 2003 database. On a form a user can select values by
means of a combobox. If the user enters a value that is not present in
the underlying table, the 'on not in list' event asks the user if he/
she would like to add the new entry to the table. If the user answers
yes, a password form will be displayed asking the user for a password.
If the password is correct, the new entry will be added to the table.
However, the user could also bypass this by simply select the table
and add the new entry manually. How do I prevent the user from doing
that? Is there a way to force the user to always add new entries to a
table throught the form?
0
Ixtreme
5/27/2010 2:16:33 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?

How does the user know which table to add the record to?

One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms to
the user.

Another might be to "hide" the tables.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Ixtreme" <mabrande@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an Access 2003 database. On a form a user can select values by
> means of a combobox. If the user enters a value that is not present in
> the underlying table, the 'on not in list' event asks the user if he/
> she would like to add the new entry to the table. If the user answers
> yes, a password form will be displayed asking the user for a password.
> If the password is correct, the new entry will be added to the table.
> However, the user could also bypass this by simply select the table
> and add the new entry manually. How do I prevent the user from doing
> that? Is there a way to force the user to always add new entries to a
> table throught the form?

0
Jeff
5/27/2010 4:16:32 PM
You need to implement User Level Security. That way you can restrict user to
certain forms and reports plus not allow them to even see the tables.

However this is a LOT of work both to set up and maintain. Unless you have a
very valid requirement, such as HIPPA or some other law, to keep users out of
the table, I suggest that you don't sweat the small stuff and allow users
access to things. Just keep frequent backups.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

On 27 mei, 18:16, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?

I am not sure what you mean. But he can just go to the tables,
reports, queries etc by just minimizing the active form.

> How does the user know which table to add the record to?

It's more like that I don't want the unauthorized user to add records
to certain tables. Only an administrator should be able to add
records. For example: a combobox contains a predefined list of
Officers. I don't want each user to add new records for the same
person eg. J. White, Jimmy White, J White.

> One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms to
> the user.

Via Tools, Startup? But that can easily be changed by the user right?

> Another might be to "hide" the tables.
How do I do that? in VBA? Could you please explain in more detail?

0
Ixtreme
5/28/2010 6:41:30 AM
On 27 mei, 22:29, Jerry Whittle
<JerryWhit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> You need to implement User Level Security. That way you can restrict user to
> certain forms and reports plus not allow them to even see the tables.
>
> However this is a LOT of work both to set up and maintain. Unless you have a
> very valid requirement, such as HIPPA or some other law, to keep users out of
> the table, I suggest that you don't sweat the small stuff and allow users
> access to things. Just keep frequent backups.

I read the stories about user level security and I must say I am not
very keen on that option. The database is used within a risk
management department. Some comboboxes are restricted to certain
values eg Obligations. I don't want the user to add values by
themselves.
0
Ixtreme
5/28/2010 6:46:34 AM
You can disable the database window, the shortcut (right-click) menus, etc.
via the Startup settings.

You can remove the "X" (close this form/window) and maximize the form on the
screen.

If you let the users get "behind" the forms, you better be darned sure they
understand relational database design and the tips/tricks of using Access.
Otherwise, you lead them to believe that tables are just like spreadsheets,
and that they can type anything anywhere.

That's the reason Access offers forms, so you can direct/control what users
see and how they enter/edit data.

> On 27 mei, 18:16, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
>> How is it that the user can "see"/get to the table?
>
> I am not sure what you mean. But he can just go to the tables,
> reports, queries etc by just minimizing the active form.
>

>> How does the user know which table to add the record to?
>
> It's more like that I don't want the unauthorized user to add records
> to certain tables. Only an administrator should be able to add
> records. For example: a combobox contains a predefined list of
> Officers. I don't want each user to add new records for the same
> person eg. J. White, Jimmy White, J White.
>
>> One approach might be to hide the database window and only present forms
>> the user.
>
> Via Tools, Startup? But that can easily be changed by the user right?
>
>> Another might be to "hide" the tables.
> How do I do that? in VBA? Could you please explain in more detail?

0
Jeff

Item Resource Planning and the IV00102 Table
Hello: Even though the minimum order quantity field is in the IV00102 table, this field is not in GP 10.0's Item Resource Planning window like it was in GP 9.0. Why is that, and where can this field be found in GP 10.0? childofthe1980s Hello, In GP10.0, Minimum Order QTY is stored in IV00103 which is Item Vendor Master table. IV00102 though has the field that looks to inherit from GP9.0, but doesnt look to be updating in GP10.0 for IV00102. The Minimu Order QTY field in IV00103 get updated from Vendors Screen in Cards=>Inventory=>Vendors=>Minimum Order Thanks Janakiram...

Records in a table
I have a datsheet form based on a table. How can I make a specific record from the table invisible in the form? Thanks Klaus >>I opened the property from the table where the data for the form is coming from. Open the form in design view to determine what is the Record Source for your form? Is a query or directly from the table? If it is a query then post the SQL by opening the query in design view, click on menu VIEW - SQL View, highlight all, copy, and paste in a post. If it is from the table then copy the Record Source and paste in a post. In either case Tell what is the field ...

table of contents in excel
Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel (similar to Words TOC). Or alternatively how to insert the current page number into a cell so that it can be cross-referenced. Thanks Nick Hi Nick, See David McRitchies TOC page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman "nickH" <nickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28FEEDC1-6091-4FC4-BD5C-5CE2A6116A5E@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel > (similar > to Words TOC). Or alternatively ho...

"ALTER TABLE ERROR"
Hi. I made this SQL statment in MDB... but "ALTER TABLE ERROR". ALTER TABLE changeme TO changed // <--- error ALTER TABLE changed RENAME f1 TO firstfield // <--- error What's wrong? ...

linking a Sharepoint list to a table in sql server
I am looking to link my SharePoint list to a table in sql server rather than to Access. I was successful in making the connection using SharePoint Designer and I can see the data in the Data Source Library within SharePoint Designer but it is not visible within the SharePoint list that I am pointing it to go to. Any suggestions? -- China Doll You need to create and format a dataview web part that includes the fields you want from the SQL source. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "chinadoll" <chinadoll@discussions....

Providing download link from string table #3
How to provide download link from String table strings. I have used follwowinf format for string table string but if is displaying as it is instead of showing me link. QuickTime 7 Player is required to save to QuickTime (MOV) format. \r\n\r\n To download the Quicktime player 7, <a="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/.">http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/. click here</a>. ...

INSERT a Table (32 items) into another Table
Hi, I have a form with a subform. The subform is linked parent to child. The subform has a field that has a combo box. From the combo there are two choices. On the after update if the selcetion is equal too "INSERT ALL ITEMS - 32 LINES" the idea is to take the contents of a separate table line by line and insert into the subform / subtable. I Have the following code If Me!cboProject_Notes.Column(0) = "INSERT ALL CHOICES - 32 LINES" Then 'do the input from the table tblProjectNotes_Default Set db = CurrentDb Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(&q...

Table off window in Design
I copied a query. In the new query's design window, I scroll all the way to the bottom and see the join lines going out of sight before I see the next table. How do I resolve this problem? Ted Turner 2010 wrote: > I copied a query. In the new query's design window, I scroll all the way to > the bottom and see the join lines going out of sight before I see the next > table. > How do I resolve this problem? That's a first for me. But I suppose if I were you, I'd switch to SQL view, copy the SQL, create a new blank query, switch to SQL view and pas...

Resize a Table using VBA
I have a named table (not a range) that I need to resize depending on the number of cols and rows from another worksheet. I tried the approach used to resize ranges but it doesn't work for Tables. I can resize it using the Ribbon-Table Tools, but these commands don't get recorded in the Macro Recorder. Is there code to accomplish this dinamycally inside a macro? Regards, OMER Example, code you tried, xlversion.?? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "OMER" <OMER@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

How can i Publish CRM as secured Site
I want all the users of my company to access the crm page on https. we have exchange page published on the ISA firewall on HTTPs. we are having problems when we publish on https Have you assigned CRM it's own port for SSL? By default port 443 is open for SSL sites, but if you are using that for exchange, add 442 to CRM in IIS and then open port 443 in ISA. Inside the firewall you may have a problem though since the certificate you create for CRM will probably use an external domain, so you may need a DNS entry to redirect https://crm to your external https address. Matt Wittemann ...

Check this security package from M$ Corp.
--cxbnzwgloxyryoo Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="tfcbumrhqeievez"; type="multipart/alternative" --tfcbumrhqeievez Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="sqhuyyyggpx" --sqhuyyyggpx Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Pivot Table #3
Hello, Have a Pivot Table where I COUNT the number of entries (in database) according to four categories, see example below. I would like to Pivot table to count the BLANKS as well, as if it were a category. Don't find any option that allows me to configure this. Does it exist ? doctor doctor pharmacist pharmacist blank (no entry) blank (no entry) nurse nurse If you add the Title field to the row area, and also add it to the Data area, all four categories should appear, including (blank). Doris Edwards wrote: > Hello, > Have a Pivot Table where I COUNT the number of entries (...

Excel Tables #2
I am copying excel table into word and doing a simple paste. When I paste the table, the empty space in the cell is filled with dots and the number wraps. Any suggestions. -- Jewel Howard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jewel Howard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29240 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489640 Hi, Have you tried Paste Special as text? -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep corresponde...

Re:Pivot table sorting
hi, That did the trick. I just removed the total field from the "Row field" and kept only sum of total (data). With both the data in place sorting is not possible. thanks all Regards, Jimmy Joseph On 11 May 2006, you wrote in microsoft.public.excel: > Select a cell in the Total column, then click the Sort Descending > button (Z-A) on the Excel toolbar. ...

pivot table #55
I have a form setup as a pivot table for specific items in the source data. Everytime there is a new item added to the source data, the pivot table will automatically select and show the new item at the bottom of the table when I refresh the data. Is there a way I could keep the same format (i.e. the same item displayed in the form) no matter if there is a new item added to the source? ...

Apply the security patch from Microsoft
--ygkuapzqlp Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="toefarqafcuanbujt"; type="multipart/alternative" --toefarqafcuanbujt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="rgofixmpukwm" --rgofixmpukwm Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now t...

Binding two table into one Crecordset
I am trying to bind two tables in a database into one recordset. I have added all the Column and Binded them with Class wizard and have added the Games table to the GetDefaultSQL() method and the filter to the set object. When I run the program it tells me that I have: Attemped to scroll past the end or before beginning of the data. This the section of my code that I added the filter to. it is in my OnInitialUpdate for my recordview m_pSet = &GetDocument()->m_leagueManagerDBSet; m_pSet->m_strFilter = "Teams.Teams_ID = Games.ID"; CRecordView::OnInitialUpdate(); G...

match and sort two different tables
Column A has customer name, columns B,C,D has corresponding sales data for that month. Column E is blank. Column F has has customer name. Column G,H,I has the same corresponding sales data for the next month. Although Column A and F both have customer names, there are many changes month over month with the addition and deletion of certain customers so the rows do not match up exactly. Is there a quick way to have the rows match up according to customer names in column A and F and then sort them alpabetically? Maybe I'm missing something, but if customers are added/dele...

Display only part of table in combo box
I have a table of friendly names where each person may not have any or may have several. They are in a table with ID and name, such as: 1 Cat 1 Cathy 4 Fred 5 Ed 5 Eddie How can I get the combo box to only display Cat and Cathy for person # 1 and Fred for person # 4? Fred You could add another field to flag the ones to display. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "frederick" wrote: > I have a table of friendly names where each person may not have any or may > have several. They are in a table with ID and name, such as: > 1 Cat > 1 Cathy > 4 Fred &g...

1 job, multiple customers. How do I make an accurate table?
My company is a supplier, so we submit our bid numbers to multiple contractors for a single job. There are about 70 jobs a month. Example. Job: Hostpital... Customers... apple, orange, and kiwi How can I accuratly input this information (multiple customers for 1 job) per job without messing up all my other jobs that I bid for that month? I will gladly email my database Your target paradigm is a many-to-many relationship. To model it requires a junction table which will have the Primary Keys from tblCustomer and tblJob as Foreign Keys. You might name the new table ~tblJobsCustomers. Th...

Using a Table as a Referance
Hi, I was wondering if there was any union code that i could use to use a table as a reference. what i mean is, if i had a main table that was related to this reference table by the primary key, and the reference table had fields choresponding to things in the in main table. this way, any one record in the main table would have a value in the reference table determined by two of the fields in the main table. i just realized how amazingly confusing i made that, so i will try to diagram it. MAIN TABLE: Joe - A - 1 Sally - B - 2 Kari - A - 2 Reference Table -- - 1 - 2 A - x - y B - z -...

filling down or pasting into multiple fields in table entry
Hi all. Hope you can help. I occasionally need to enter info directly into a table. However, when I do, I would like to enter the same value into a large number of fields. It would be nice if I could: copy, highlight the top, say - 50 fields in a column, and then paste the value into all of them in one stroke. However, Access 2003 doesn't allow this. It just puts the value into the first field. Is there a simple way of doing this? Thanks very much - in advance. H. -- Pontins History E-Mail: usenet@pontinshistory.co.uk Please visit www.pontinshistory.co.uk Skype ID (instant messaging ...

Convert XSD to SQL Server Tables
Is it possible to import an XSD into SQL Server 7 and automagically create the tables? Cheers Iain ...

secure db @ login: could not save; currently locked by another us.
We are in the process of updating our PCs from Windows 2002 to XP Professional. On four of the 20 updated PCs, when a user tries to open the db, the message "could not save: currently locked by another user" pops up. The message is PC specific and the db can not be opened by that PC until all other users close the db. Any ideas on a setting that might need to be changed on those four PCs? Tools, Options, Advance is set to "No Locked Records" in the db. It seems a setting on the individual PCs needs to be changed. Thanks for anything you can suggest to eliminate...

league table from results
Hi, I am looking for a spreadsheet that calculates a league table by inputting results from sports matches. Has anyone seen one or got one that I could download / share please. I run a junior football league in the UK, and guess that there are lots of solutions out there already. Sandy. See response in .programming. -- HTH Bob Phillips "sandy" <nospam@nothanks.com> wrote in message news:dJuZe.15191$wm3.5839@newsfe6-win.ntli.net... > Hi, > > I am looking for a spreadsheet that calculates a league table by inputting > results from sports matches. > &...