Synchronizing between 2 offices some thoughts please

Hi Guys,

I am looking for ideas on keeping a database synchronized between 2 offices,
London & Manchester. I know the easiest way would be to create a web based
database which we would both log into and process from that point, but I
assume we would loose the efficiency of the local reporting and other
aspects of a local copy of our data.

The other thought would be for us to pass data between the offices on a
frequency and maybe run an update query to sync the data.

The database is a contacts database so it is mainly updating call notes made
during the course of the day.

Any thoughts, opinions or considerations would be most welcome. My
experience in access in moderate, but willing to learn

Many thanks
Lez

0
Les
5/27/2007 10:55:21 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Take a look into Replication. Good places to start are
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/CH063664271033.aspx and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282977

As well, Michael Kaplan, one of the authors of the Replication FAQ in the
second reference above, has useful stuff at http://www.trigeminal.com/

Note, too, that there's a newsgroup specific to replication if you have any
questions/problems: microsoft.public.access.replication

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Les Girvan" <lj_N05pam_girvan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am looking for ideas on keeping a database synchronized between 2
> offices, London & Manchester. I know the easiest way would be to create a
> web based database which we would both log into and process from that
> point, but I assume we would loose the efficiency of the local reporting
> and other aspects of a local copy of our data.
>
> The other thought would be for us to pass data between the offices on a
> frequency and maybe run an update query to sync the data.
>
> The database is a contacts database so it is mainly updating call notes
> made during the course of the day.
>
> Any thoughts, opinions or considerations would be most welcome. My
> experience in access in moderate, but willing to learn
>
> Many thanks
> Lez

0
Douglas
5/27/2007 11:20:08 AM
On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:55:21 +0100, "Les Girvan" <lj_N05pam_girvan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I am looking for ideas on keeping a database synchronized between 2 offices,
>London & Manchester. I know the easiest way would be to create a web based
>database which we would both log into and process from that point, but I
>assume we would loose the efficiency of the local reporting and other
>aspects of a local copy of our data.

Replicaiton is one option. Replication involves designating one database as a Design Master, and then making replicas of
that database to distribute to others. In your case, you'd build a replica and deploy that to your remote office.
Replication allows you to synchronize the replicas back to the DM whenver needed. Note that replicated data can be
somewhat "stale" - that is, it's only as updated as the last synchronization.

Replication FAQ:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282977

Kaplan's site:
http://www.trigeminal.com/resources.asp?1033

MS Site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/CH062526841033.aspx

You could also use a Terminal Server setup in one of the offices. TS allows you to keep all data on one box, which means
the data is as fresh as can be. It also can ease maintenance chores, since there's only one backend database to deal
with. Of course, TS can increase your cost of ownership - depending on the version of TS you use, you would need TS
licensing, a VPN to connect the offices (you can use TS over the internet, but most business offices would need the
tighter security of a VPN), and someone to maintain this.

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com
0
Scott
5/27/2007 11:32:52 AM
Cheers Guys,

Thanks for that information, will look into this option further

Regards
Les

"Les Girvan" <lj_N05pam_girvan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am looking for ideas on keeping a database synchronized between 2
> offices, London & Manchester. I know the easiest way would be to create a
> web based database which we would both log into and process from that
> point, but I assume we would loose the efficiency of the local reporting
> and other aspects of a local copy of our data.
>
> The other thought would be for us to pass data between the offices on a
> frequency and maybe run an update query to sync the data.
>
> The database is a contacts database so it is mainly updating call notes
> made during the course of the day.
>
> Any thoughts, opinions or considerations would be most welcome. My
> experience in access in moderate, but willing to learn
>
> Many thanks
> Lez

0
Les
5/27/2007 4:54:16 PM

> I am looking for ideas on keeping a database synchronized between
> 2 offices, London & Manchester. I know the easiest way would be to
> create a web based database which we would both log into and
> process from that point, but I assume we would loose the
> efficiency of the local reporting and other aspects of a local
> copy of our data.

That wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination be a simple thing to
implement!

> The other thought would be for us to pass data between the offices
> on a frequency and maybe run an update query to sync the data.
>
> The database is a contacts database so it is mainly updating call
> notes made during the course of the day.
>
> Any thoughts, opinions or considerations would be most welcome. My
> experience in access in moderate, but willing to learn

I have been doing replicated Access apps since 1997. These days,
when I want to have two fixed-location offices share data like this,
I set up Windows Terminal Server in one of the offices. Your
existing Access app will run completely unchanged in this
environment. The cost of licenses is very low (USD40 for a single
CAL, no price breaks for volume purchases). The end-user experience
is often as good or better than running it across a 100Mbps LAN.

Replication in this environment would require the complexities of
indirect or Internet replication, as a direct synch across the
Internet is not going to be safe or reliable. This is a lot of work,
and really only something that someone experienced should be
implementing.

David
5/27/2007 6:27:16 PM
Scott McDaniel <scott@NoSpam_Infotrakker.com> wrote in

> Replicaiton is one option. Replication involves designating one
> database as a Design Master, and then making replicas of that
> database to distribute to others. In your case, you'd build a
> replica and deploy that to your remote office. Replication allows
> you to synchronize the replicas back to the DM whenver needed.

The DM should not be involved in regular production editing or daily
synchronizing. It is a special replica, the only one in which you
can make design changes, and it should be kept in a safe location
and synched only often enough to keep it from expiring (the default
retention period is 1000 days; I generally set up a monthly synch
with the DM). Only replicas should be used for editing and regular
synching.

> Note that replicated data can be
> somewhat "stale" - that is, it's only as updated as the last
> synchronization.

But any two replicas are only one synch away from being identical.

The issue you're referring to is "latency," and in an app where no
latency can be tolerated, replication is not satisfactory.

I would say that the Terminal Server option is by far the best. The
only place where I would say Jet Replication is a must-have is with
laptop users who need to edit the data in the field and then synch
with the main office. If they can wait to synch when they get back
to the office, and across the LAN, it's *very* easy to implement
safely. If they need so synch with the "mother ship" while in the
field, it's a lot more complicated than that.

David

All Office apps in 11.2.3 on MacBook Pro have to be force quit
I recently bought a MacBook Pro and installed Office 2004 with all updates to 11.2.3. Generally everything works correctly. But about 90% of the time when I quit out of an application I have to force quit to make it completely go away. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? <pridemore@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently bought a MacBook Pro and installed Office 2004 with all > updates to 11.2.3. Generally everything works correctly. But about 90% > of the time when I quit out of an application I have to force quit to > make it completely go away. > > Does anyone...

How to add a vertical line to a Line Chart that aleady has 2 Y axi
I want to add a vertical line to a chart to call out a specific date. I have two lines and am using 2 Y axis due to the difference in values of the two data series. For a given X value I want a vertical line to appear on the chart to make it clear that data to the right of the line is AFTER a certain thing was done. How do I do this? http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ISUTUBBS wrote: > I want to add a vertical line to a chart to ca...

Item Message #2
I'd like to add an item message to a group of items, does anyone know if it's possible to do this, or does the item message box have to be activated item by item ??? thanks. marwat. We have a Utility for RMS Store & HQ. Amongst these are 36 new wizards one which allows you to associate a message to a whole group of item. If you want to know more contact me. Afshin Alikhani - [afshin@retailrealm.co.uk] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = = -- URL http://www.retailrealm.co.uk "marwat" wrote: > I'd like to add an item message to a group of items, does...

Outlook 2003 from SBS different from Office 2003?
I have an SBS2003 server installed and distributed the Outlook2003 that came with it to my clients, while the other office applications still ran the 2000 version. Last week, we installed the office 2003 suite and I disabled the installation of Outlook 2003, since it was already installed. Next I installed the Rights Management Server and the client. All Office applications now have the Permissions icon, except Outlook. I have looked through every single setting, but could not find how to enable it. This leads me to conclude that the SBS outlook 2003 version might be different from t...

Synchronizing --> Download Address Book
I have a number of users that when they choose to download the Address Book and select the choice for the complete book, they do not get the get the whole Address Book. We are using Outlook 97 and 2000. Any thoughts on this? ...

Transaction Performance Counter #2
Hi I am looking for a way (by using SQL profiler or the MGP SDK oranything else) to measure avarage times for transaction execution in Great Plains. A simple example might be the posting GL transactions at month end. I am looking for a way to record the average time and compare any new postings to the "historical" average. This data will then be used to produce a report... Any help will be valuable, as I don't really have a clue where to start looking Reagrds, Arno van Rooyen ...

Time series #2
I have several tabs for different dates with data in it. Colomn contains the time in format 13:30:30. For my project, I require to know the number of data points in variou time series, pls see below. 7:30:00 8:30:00 8:30:00 9:30:00 9:30:00 10:30:00 10:30:00 11:30:00 11:30:00 12:30:00 12:30:00 13:30:00 13:30:00 14:30:00 14:30:00 15:30:00 15:30:00 16:00:00 I tried countif and if function but could not come up with the results PLS HELP. If I have to do it manually then I am dead..... -- mohitmahaja ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mohitmahajan's ...

Securing Exchange #2
Hi! I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good documentation/whitepaper etc. abut securing an Exchange server availible. I have done all the "normal" securing but still there are a few queues with spam. Can there be a "spy prog" on it that's causing all this. Can I log somewhere all Telnet sessions and stuff? Reg J�rgen Persson On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:44:48 +0200, "J�rgen" <jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi! > >I have problems with spam on my Exchange 2000. Is there any good >documentation/whitepaper etc. ab...

1.2 to 3.0 upgrade issues
CRM not fully functional after upgrade, it seems like it is a permissions issue, possibly SQL user/login permissions? Certain categories such as KNowledge Base will load fine in the browser, however others like "Accounts" will not, and return the "an error has occurred, contact your system administrator" error message. I reviewed the IIS logs and they are showing 401 errors. When trying to verify licenses using Deployment manager (user manager) i get a http://crm/MSCRMServices/ is not responding error. When running the CRM Environment Diagnostics Wizard i receive th...

Should I keep OFfice 2004?
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I just bought new Mac Snow Leopard. I installed Office 2008. I don't use Visual Basics and I don't write scripts. Migration Assistant brought 2004 over; any reason I don't know about for keeping 2004 on the new computer? <br> Thanks! Thanks, Diane. If you can help me out a bit more, are you saying the &quot;Remove Office&quot; would be in the Office 04 set, and would it remove only 04? Or it's in the 08 set and I should make sure it only finds 04 files? (Not that it'd be the end of the w...

How to add German Dictionary in Outlook 2003 #2
Hi All, I need to add German Dictionary to outlook 2003, Can somebody guide how to do that...... Thanks in advance. ...

Microsoft Office Tools
I downloaded and am using Office Pro 2007 for about 2 weeks now and I just noticed that, unless I missed something in the install, the Office Tools Folder and apps. that we so handy in 2003 Pro are not included (I have the trial version) Did I miss something or are they really not there? Thx Jerry They are there. Did you try putting the disk back in and doing a custom install? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA...

Preparing to Install #2
Suddenly, whenever I am attempting to use Money 2002 and I start the program, an "install" window pops up and says, "Preparing to install Windows 2002...". I close the box and the program won't start. I reinstalled the whole program. The first time it worked. The second time, the same install window appeared. It will close the program while I'm in it also. In addition, when I attempt to start Internet Explorer, I get a window that pops up saying, "Preparing to Install Windows XP...", or one that says, "Prparing to install Windows Office...

Uninstall Office 2008 and reinstall Office 2004
I recently installed Office 2008 and I'm extremely displeased by the slow operating speed of the applications. Is there a way to reinstall Office 2004 without losing my email and user data? Thank you! On 2/20/08 5:05 PM, in article ee8e366.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "sladner@officeformac.com" <sladner@officeformac.com> wrote: > I recently installed Office 2008 and I'm extremely displeased by the slow > operating speed of the applications. > > Is there a way to reinstall Office 2004 without losing my email and user data? > Your mail is in your Micro...

Office 2008 Setup Assistant still at 12.2.0 after 12.2.1 update
All, Following what appeared to be a successful update to v.12.2.1 (I downloaded the installer rather than use the autoupdater) I noticed that version number for Microsoft Office Setup Assistant.app is still 12.2.0 (090605) although it does appeared that the modified date was at the time that I did the upgrade. Anyone get the same or know why Setup Assistant wasn't updated? Thanks - J. On 8/19/09 3:35 PM, in article 2009081923355116807-jonplsremove@sturtridgecom, "Jonathan Sturtridge" <jon_plsremove@sturtridge.com> wrote: > Following what appeared to be a succe...

Outlook errors #2
When I start Outlook it immediately comes up with an error: msouplug.dll Does anyone have any advice on how to repair this fault or is there a way to get access to the contacts within Outlook if I cannot get it to open? Thank you Do you have any Symantec programs installed for Outlook? I believe that's where this file comes from. If you start Outlook in safe mode, you should be able to get in and remove that add-in. Close Outlook Select Start | Run Enter Outlook.exe /Safe Select OK Select Tools | Options | Other | Advanced Options | Add-In Manager Uncheck any Symantec add-in...

Workbook cells won't hold formatting in Office 2007
I have Office 2007 running in Vista Home Premium. My system got FUBARed and had to be reloaded. Now my Excel workbooks won't keep the proper formatting in cells. I have them formatted as general so that I can type in something like 4 - 1. As soon as I do that it converts the formatting to Custom and puts it in as a 1-Apr. If I try to reformat the cell as general I then get 39904. If I enter it as space 4 - 1 then it enters correctly. How can I make the cell give me the correct information without putting a space in front of it? One way in to format the cell as Text B...

VBA Excel Macro worked for 2-years now dosen't??
Is there a limit on how much code you can place in a VBA file?=A0 All works well except the macro I call "VacUsed"=A0 It is called from a couple of procedures I post the last procedure=A0"ThisWorkBook" use to close and save the workbook.=A0 Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)=A0 =A0 =A0 Call FilterTestOff=A0 =A0 =A0 Call VacUsed=A0 =A0 =A0 Call DeleteMenu=A0 =A0 =A0 Call AllProtect=A0 =A0 =A0 Sheets("VacationAccrued").Activate=A0 End Sub=A0 Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As=A0Boolean)=A0 =A0 =A0 C...

Microsoft Money 2001 #2
My computer has several checking accounts in Microsoft Money 2001. I would like to know how to set it up to look at a "catagory spending report" on JUST one bank account. When I set it for a catalog spending report the program combines all the accounts in the one report. Please help. could you send the reply to my "E" mail address. Thank you, Richard A reply be email doesn't benefit other users or searchers of the archives. Customize the category spending report on the Accounts tab to the account you want to report on??? "richard hansard" <rhans...

A Publisher 2002 document sent to me starts at page 2.
How can I change it so that it starts correctly at page 1. Select all on each page, group, drag them out to the scratch area, drag page two to page one and page one to page two. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Robert Sterry" <Robert Sterry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3080E11-CFE3-4144-B6E7-04D2A2B47E39@microsoft.com... > How can I change it so that it starts correctly at page 1. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Robert Sterry <Robe...

2 Axes, same scale wanted
Hi Is it possible to set my second y axis so that the scale is identical to the first y axis. (My chart needs to have 2 axes as one plots daily values and one plots annual) but I find that excel automatically assigns diferent scales to each? This same reference should apply to dual axis charts. You can apply scales to both primary and secondary axes using worksheet cells via Jon's explanation below. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html -- John Mansfield http://cellmatrix.net "jonny" wrote: > Hi > > Is it possible to set my sec...

OUTLOOK ACCOUNTS #2
For some time now I have been having a problem whereby my pop3 server addresses within OUTLOOK accounts have been changing to LOCALHOST without any reason. This happens every day and is really frustrating. Can anyone please explain the reason for this and how to stop it occurring ?? Many thanks, Leighton Are you using an antivirus program that checks incoming mail. Some of the early versions (such as Norton AV 2001) used to do this to redirect mail via their scanner. Later versions (such as NAV 2003 and 2004) don't do this and leave accounts unchanged. Carol Haynes "Leight...

sumif problems #2
Thanks for the reply, Dave. SUMPRODUCT seems to work fine (although I still don't understand wh the countif won't work even with the source book open). Can anyone tell me if it's possible to update the links of only on worksheet in workbook?? Each worksheet (representing new days) in m project is linked to the same data source. I'd like to keep a histor stored even as the source data changes. My idea is to close the link to the source for the sheets I don't want to change so that they won' reflect data changes after they were created. Will this work -- Mr Zer ...

Line
I'm plotting monthly and ytd data as columns on the x axis. And for the y axis, I'm showing a percentage that relates to the monthly data, not the ytd data. I've formatted the 4 sets of columns to "0 overlap" and "100 gap width". So, for each set of columns (month and ytd), the month and ytd columns are touching. Currently, the data point for percentage line on the y axis sits in the middle of each set of columns. But since the percentage data point really only relates to the monthly data, I was hoping to shift the line so the data points are over th...

Crystal Report Launch 2
(sorry to repost this thread, but this was too old and I got no respones!) Can anyone explain this better? I can't find any documentation about this.........and techknowledge seems to be useless: http://www.greatplains.com/TechKnowledge/techknowledge.asp?print=true&id=28987&code=7842 can anyone show an example? I tried looking at the url of a report (almost a mile long!) and I indeed saw the paramters I put, but when I try to reopen that url in another browser I get this error: Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters. File 7c433cc1d949d16.rpt. any help would be greatly ...