Switchboard passwords

I have two switchboard pages. One with options for a user and one with
options for an admin. On the main switchboard I have two selections: user and
admin. I want to be able to attach a password to the admin selection so that
when someone clicks it they will be prompted for a password and then directed
to the admin switchboard.
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Do you have user level security enabled? If not, don't even bother the the
Switchboard password. Why? With the database open, press the F11 key.
Everyone can get at anything. You can disable special keys like F11; however,
even that can be bypassed unless you implement user-level-security.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:19:01 -0800, Lisa <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have two switchboard pages. One with options for a user and one with
>options for an admin. On the main switchboard I have two selections: user and
>admin. I want to be able to attach a password to the admin selection so that
>when someone clicks it they will be prompted for a password and then directed
>to the admin switchboard.

As Jerry says, you may find it difficult to keep snoopy people out: "locks
keep out honest folks". If someone seriously wants to bypass your security and
has a modicum of knowledge about Access they'll be able to crack it, or find
someone who can.

That said, for a $9.95 three-digit combination bicycle lock equivalent, you
can put code in the Click event of the command button that opens the admin
form:

Private Sub cmdOpenAdmin_Click()
Dim strPwd As String
strPwd = InputBox("Enter administrative password:", "Password Check")
If strPwd = "Open Sesame" Then
   DoCmd.OpenForm "adminformname"
Else
   MsgBox "Incorrect password"
End If
End Sub

You can make it much more elaborate, with three retries, etc. if you wish. If
the user has a MDE file they won't (easily) be able to see the Open Sesame or
whatever password you choose, but as I say, this is very lightweight security.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

where does the problem lie/outlook 2003 not storing password
I have been having this problem for ages now. I used to have two e mail accounts stored under one profile but now everytime I start up I get a pop up window asking me to save password, even if I check it , it does not save. Uninstalled OL and reinstalled it but to no effect. I have now got three seperate profiles each with one e mail account in but I want them all in one profile. Is the problem in the windows OS registry. I have read Doug Knox's article on how to resolve this but it doesn't appear to work (not for me anyway) Please tell me if a reinstall of XP would help W...

password #20
I am logging on remotely to my email in Outlook. Password is expiring. how can i change it if i am dialing in to the server. Without knowing anymore details, let's say no, you can't do it. -- ~jason k ________________________________________________________________ please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed and laughed at in the breakroom remember to check http://www.technet.com and http://www.google.com ________________________________________________________________ "marty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08b501c3cf...

INTERNET ACCOUNTS PASSWORD
I have been tryin to get Outlook 2000 ver 9.0.0.2711 to remember the password to check mail. I have even made new accounts and it still will not work. Checked info between a working machine and none working with no difference in data entered. The program is on a Sony laptop with Windows 2000 professional!! Maybe I am looking to correct it in the wrong area. Thanks Pete See if this helps - For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft.com/defau...

Publisher webpage password protect
Can anyone tell me how to restrict access to part of my web site? Thank you Publisher has no support for that. FrontPage achieves it with the support of what it calls "sub-webs". You should check with your web host for their support options of this functionality. Some hosts have online site management tools that can include creating folders and setting permissions. If you can create a new folder and password that folder with the host then all you do is publish the publisher web to that folder. For web discussions visit our forum at microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign -- Dav...

DRM or Password Error on Opening .ppt Powerpoint
Using Mac Office 2008, when I try to open a password protected Office 2007 for Windows Powerpoint document, I get an error stating "This presentation is protected by a password or Digital Rights Management (DRM). To access this presentation, you must have a version that is not protected by a password or DRM." Office 2007 on Windows recognizes that this document is password protected, but allows me to open it as read only. I can also open it with the new Windows Powerpoint viewer. But I want to open in on my MAC. What gives?? On 2/28/08 8:56 PM, in article ee8f241.-1@webcrossing.ca...

outlook 2002 not saving password
I run XP pro and outlook 2002. I have several e-mail accounts but one will not save the password. I have deleted the key in the registry but it has not fixed the problem, help please ...

Main Switchboard displayed not same as one in Switchboard Manager
I just upgraded my Access database to Access 2007. When I go to the Switchboard manager it is not the same as the Main swtichboard that is displayed in my Forms. Do I need to delete the switchboard and recreate it again? Why is it picking up another switchboard? Thanks. ...

Forgotten password
I have forgotten a password to an old excel vba code I created some time ago. Was wondering if there is some way of removing the vba password protection. Tried all my default passwords but no good. Since have made spreadsheet with all my passwords on so it wont happen again, but I really need the old code. Can anyone help PLEASE Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice How to display a Gravatar Image with 100 Percent Client Script Code http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3c8a04cd-471e-48b7-8dcc-b0877c10ecb4/how-to-display-a-gravatar.aspx On...

Prompting for password
IT is running exchange 2000 and clients are running outlook 2000, xp, & 03. Active Directory is in place. Why does the user get the authentication box when getting into outlook. We have changed the setting to None, NT Password Authentication(Default), & No password. ...

network password #4
I am setting up my computer after a new c drive has been installed. I set up a new e-mail account in Outlook but when I hit the "send and receive mail" button I get a window that asks for the network password. I have filled in this box already and told it to remember the password. Any suggestions? ...

How to edit an AD Users Password Age
I am needing to test our Exchange OWA server and how it handles a user who's password is almost expired. Supposedly at 14 days until expiration, OWA will notify the user that they need to change their password. I figure that I can manually age a users password using the ADSIEdit utility but I do not know what to change. Any ideas? Thanks, Fred I think that it can be done by editing the value for pwdLastSet using a Base64Date using Robert Mueller's VBS code at http://www.rlmueller.net/ Thanks, Fred "Fred Yarbrough" <fcyarbrough@yahoo.com> wrote in message n...

Save password under send/recive action
I have 3 email acounts. En when checking for new mail, the send recive box apears, and want me to chose outlook to remenber my password. I chose yes, but i get the same question everytime under send/recive. Outlook wont remember my password to my email acounts allthough i choose it to do so.... I have outlook 2002 and win. XP PLEASE HELT ANYONE !!! Thanx.. ...

password problem #4
I use my hotmail email account as my default mail account in Outlook2002.Every thing works fine except for the inability of outlook to remember the password. Any ideas???? ...

Switchboard Menu Labels
My Switchboard default menu is labeled "Main Menu". Under Main Menu, I have several sub-menus and additional menu listing under sub-menus. When I click one of the sub-menus under Main Menu, the sub-menu label is still "Main Menu". How do I change the label on multiple sub-menus? On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:11:09 -0800, Roseo wrote: > My Switchboard default menu is labeled "Main Menu". Under Main Menu, I have > several sub-menus and additional menu listing under sub-menus. When I click > one of the sub-menus under Main Menu, the sub-menu label is st...

Password Protection #18
I have a 3 sheet excel file with protection on all 3 sheets (let's call them A, B and C). These 3 pages have formulas that link to each other. Sheet A has a few checkboxes that link to sheet C. The problem is that when I try to check any of the check boxes on sheet A an error box pops up that says "The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read only". Is there a way to protect a sheet while being able to check a box off that is linked to another sheet? What protection options would allow me to do this? Thanks in advance. Dave -- Dave123 ----------...

Switchboard items on multiple switchboard
I have added 3 switchboard items to a database, but it is showing up on all of the other switchboards. How do I fix this? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200710/1 ...

network password not saved
I am using Outlook 2002. My network passwaord is not being saved. Any thoughts? Hi rsmcqueen! Same problem here. As yet unresolved. Try: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 Neither worked for me (and a few others). Also, replacing your Outlook.pst file has been suggested. If unsuccessful. Report back with details of your Operating System. When did this repeated request start? -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "rsmcqueen@gbronline.com" &l...

RE: Outlook 2003 won't retain POP3 password
I had someone with a similar problem that I have been trying to help out. Try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b290684 This might help the problem. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Password Protection doesn't work
There is a shared Excel 2003 workbook on the network that was set with a password and when it is opened, it doesn't ask for the passowrd. Any ideas? Check the title bar after it's opened. Does it say ReadOnly? If the person who's opening the workbook doesn't have write access to that drive/folder, then excel will not even bother asking. It knows that they don't have a choice to update--so why ask? Roberta wrote: > > There is a shared Excel 2003 workbook on the network that was set with a > password and when it is opened, it doesn't ask for the passowrd....

How to enable auto mail for AD password expiration
Hi All, Need help I having win2k ads and win2k exchange. I need help when user password comes for expiration within 5 or 6 days then my server send auto mail to that perticular user that your password will expiring in 5 days or so. Anyone can help me please. Thanking you. Yours truly, Vicky On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:52:52 +0530, "Vikram Samnt" <vicky_samant@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi All, > >Need help I having win2k ads and win2k exchange. I need help when user >password comes for expiration within 5 or 6 days then my server send auto >mail to that perticular us...

Excel 2007 Password Recovery
Hi, im in a fix as an employee has placed a password on open on one of my documents, she does not remember what the password is, can you help me to figure out how to recover this password. I have tried numerous recovery tools and still no luck. This document contains vital information and starting a fresh is not a option. Thanks Hi, You can buy a password cracking utility on the web, google Excel Password Cracker. This should tell you that passwords are not total security. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "OS360_ITMAN" wrote: > Hi, im in a fix as an employee has placed a...

updateqry switchboard name
I want users to be able to name the switchboard. I added a new field in the switchboard items table called name and changed the labels to txtboxs with a record source to name. If this isnull a form opens which allows the user to put a name into an unbound txtbox. When the form closes the values are transferred to the name txtbox on the switchboard. However, this only works for the first page of the switchboard. It has to be placed in all the command fields that = 0 for it to show on all the pages of the switchboard. I can't get an update qry to work - syntax problems. This and sever...

Switchboard
I have a problem with my switchboard. I have created a new switchboard on 3 seperate occasions, each time deleting all traces of the last. The problem i am getting is when i select one of the options a new sitchboard page opens up (correct) but instead of having the correct header, it displays the name of one of the options on that screen. i.e. when i open "Personnel" switchboard, it open with "Add new personnel" (firtst option on that screen" instead of "Personnel". Any ideas why Steve Hi Steve, I'm not quite sure I understand your question. ...

password problem
I recently switched to MSN. After setting up Outlook Express using netnews.msn.com and msnnews.msn.com as NNTP server, I am unable to "logon". My username or password is not excepted. I tried using my MSN logon username and password. How do I find or setup username and password. THANKS. ...

ADO Connection wants password?
My first attempt at using ADO (versus DAO). A form opens and creates a connection. The connection wants my password. I hardcoded it as a param to the connection.open method and got the connection. However, this is a multi-user app. How do I set the password in the connection.open method for an arbitrary user? "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:46708540$0$14957$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > My first attempt at using ADO (versus DAO). > > A form opens and creates a connection. The connection wants my password. I > hardcoded it as a p...