Starting Access 2007 won't start and gives the following msg ...

I am trying to run Access 2007 to create a simple database for my home
business.  When I open Access on my system (laptop running XP Pro, version
2002, SP3) I get the following dialog.

"A problem occurred while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the
OLE server or ActiveX Control.  Close the OLE server and restart it outside
of Microsoft Office Access.  Then try the original operation again in
Microsoft Office Access."

Even though I don't know how to do what the dialog states, Clicking OK
doesn't end the program.  I need to go to the task manager and kill the
application.  I looked at the services running to see if I could identify the
OLE server, but nothing looked like it had anything to do with OLE (I really
don't know what I'm looking for).

So ...

How do I close the OLE server and restart it?

Could this be something else wrong with my system that I can't start Access?
 I can't look at anything via the toolbars to know if I have another DB on my
system that Access is trying to open.  (I will start a search on my computer
looking for Access DBs -- not sure if this will amount to anything).

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

hi dont know how to help you directly, hopefully someone will be able to and
reply soon, however i remember others also having problems
enter this in the search box and see the reply it got, hope this helps
Subject: Re: ole server fails after OFFICE SP3 install

"AlwaysLearning" wrote:

> I am trying to run Access 2007 to create a simple database for my home
> business.  When I open Access on my system (laptop running XP Pro, version
> 2002, SP3) I get the following dialog.
>
> "A problem occurred while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the
> OLE server or ActiveX Control.  Close the OLE server and restart it outside
> of Microsoft Office Access.  Then try the original operation again in
> Microsoft Office Access."
>
> Even though I don't know how to do what the dialog states, Clicking OK
> doesn't end the program.  I need to go to the task manager and kill the
> application.  I looked at the services running to see if I could identify the
> OLE server, but nothing looked like it had anything to do with OLE (I really
> don't know what I'm looking for).
>
> So ...
>
> How do I close the OLE server and restart it?
>
> Could this be something else wrong with my system that I can't start Access?
>  I can't look at anything via the toolbars to know if I have another DB on my
> system that Access is trying to open.  (I will start a search on my computer
> looking for Access DBs -- not sure if this will amount to anything).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks!

Hi AlwaysLearning,

Here are a couple of possibilities:

Although the title in this KB article includes "embed or link a Word
document", the Resolution section is worth looking at if you run Norton
Antivirus:
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295824

For this next article, you should be able to eliminate it as a possibility
if you hold the Shift key down the *entire* time, after double-clicking on a
database or using a shortcut that points to a database, because this should
prevent any VBA code from running. However, you have to make sure to hold
down the Shift key, and keep it held down, until Access is finished opening:

     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907337

Have you tried running Office Diagnostics? Open any Office program (Word,
Excel, Access, etc.). Click on the Office button in the upper left corner.
Click on the button that reads "Word Options" (or "Excel Options" or "Access
Options", etc.). Select the Resources tab. You should see an option to run
Microsoft Office Diagnostics.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

"AlwaysLearning" wrote:

> I am trying to run Access 2007 to create a simple database for my home
> business.  When I open Access on my system (laptop running XP Pro, version
> 2002, SP3) I get the following dialog.
>
> "A problem occurred while Microsoft Office Access was communicating with the
> OLE server or ActiveX Control.  Close the OLE server and restart it outside
> of Microsoft Office Access.  Then try the original operation again in
> Microsoft Office Access."
>
> Even though I don't know how to do what the dialog states, Clicking OK
> doesn't end the program.  I need to go to the task manager and kill the
> application.  I looked at the services running to see if I could identify the
> OLE server, but nothing looked like it had anything to do with OLE (I really
> don't know what I'm looking for).
>
> So ...
>
> How do I close the OLE server and restart it?
>
> Could this be something else wrong with my system that I can't start Access?
>  I can't look at anything via the toolbars to know if I have another DB on my
> system that Access is trying to open.  (I will start a search on my computer
> looking for Access DBs -- not sure if this will amount to anything).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks!

(Follow on from previous post) Using IF statements
I have an alternating set of three columns, labelled (in row 5) Beg, Mid and End. They represent the beginning, middle and end of each month. Row 24 contains values for these periods. I would like to calculate the average for all Beg columns, for all Mid columns and for all End columns. In a previous post I got as far as putting following formulae in three different cells: =AVERAGE(IF('Cash flow'!5:5="Beg",'Cash flow'!24:24,"")) =AVERAGE(IF('Cash flow'!5:5="Mid",'Cash flow'!24:24,"")) =AVERAGE(IF('Cash flow'!5:5=&...

Starting up on start-up help!

Outlook 2007 incoming email font being changed
Incoming emails from a particular contact show as readable text in autopreview display, but when I open them they are converted to symbol font. Attempts at changing the symbols to, say, arial make the text even less readable by causing all characters to appear as small squares. This happens with one sender only. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Sizing Access 2007 Forms
I'm wondering if I'm the only one having problems saving the size of access 2007 overlapping forms. I decided to play around with a copy of my db and changed it from a tabbed to overlapping interface. I posted a question about this some time ago and the following is a response that I had saved to a text file: ----------- 'The forms border should be set to sizeable. You then while viewing the form in regular view mode then set the size exactly the way you want. You then hit ctrl-s. I also assumed that in design mode you shrunk down the detail size to as small as possi...

Where does Outlook 2007 store emails locally?
We are using Outlook 2007 with Exchange server. We have a user who has been moving his emails off of the Exchange server to some folders he created or by Auto Archive feature in Outlook 2007. He basically drag and drop the emails from his Exchange server Inbox to his folders on the left side. The question is, where are all of these folders full of emails located on the local computer? At first I thought it must have been the Auto Archive feature that kicks in every 14 days and created those folders for him to be able to drag and drop, but when I check the following location the archi...

accessing XML data
Hi, I need to import data from XML to Access97 , what is the best way??? Is there any ODBC solution?? Thanx! Domac This was written with Access 2000 in view, but the idea should work. Check out the article at DBJ. http://www.databasejournal.com/features/msaccess/article.php/3310901 -- Danny J. Lesandrini dlesandrini@hotmail.com http://amazecreations.com/datafast "Domac" <dd.cc@cc.cc> wrote ... > Hi, > > I need to import data from XML to Access97 , what is the best way??? > > Is there any ODBC solution?? > > Thanx! > Domac > ...

Re: Outlook 2007 create background
I played around with this further. You can still use any HTML editor to = create stationery and place it in the user's Stationery folder. You can = also use FrontPage 2003 to create new themes with background images. = Details at = http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.e= ntry --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =...

Setting Default protocol access
I'd like to set new users to have POP3 disabled by default. I've written a script to disable everyone who's already in AD, but don't want to run the script later becasue we have a service account with a special case need for POP, and I don't want that to be disabled on accident later. Is this possible? Thanks, if nobody needs POP3 you could just turn of the service on Exchange so even though it is "enabled" for all users it isn't accessible anyway. Of course if you need a few folks to have POP access this won't work "Jacob M. Ross" <...

Excel is giving me zeros
Excel is giving me zeros. I'll put in a formula that very obviously should give a non-zero result, but the cell says "0". I tried different simple formulas, even just =93=3Df8+f9=94, but the result is 0. The source cells have numbers entered into them. I checked formatting of the formula cell and of the source cells. I tried different formattings (number, percentage, etc) and they all give the result of 0. I have other spreadsheets that do the same thing. Any idea what could cause this? Have a look at the formatting applied to the cell - set it to General or Number. Also...

Need advice to start off a project
Hello! I have never really used Excel much but I have had an idea which could make some of the work I do a lot easier. I know Excel is powerful but I don't know the best way to approach it so can anyone out there help me? I make visits to places and record what kind of visit it was on a spreadsheet with the values in each cell being the date. At the bottom there is a summary box which shows, on each date, how many visits I made of each type. At the moment this is done manually but I am sure it can be done automatically only how? On a different sheet I would then like to have a summary of...

Cannot start Outlook 2002
My computer is usualy connected to an MS Exchange server at work. However I'd like to use Outlook at home with another e-mail account. When I try to start Outlook I get an error message : Cannot connect to exchange server. So I click work offline. Then, get another error message: Cannot start Outlook. Could not open information store. The the program quits. Anyone know a work around? Thanks. Create a new profile for your home account. Then set Outlook to prompt for profile. Select your home profile and Outlook will not try to connect to Exchange. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook...

Access Security Options
I would like to store some information in my database but it is information which needs to be protected by password so that only specified users can view and change it. Ideally, I would like to store this information in a subform within a form which can be accessed by anyone. Is this possible? Thank you very much for your willingness to help! Go to the subreport or create a subreport. Open the properties of the subreport. In events find onclick. There will be a box to the right of onclick. Click it and use code builder. Type the following in where the cursor is. Dim stpassword as...

Exchange Services Do not Start After a Restart #2
I have a SBS 2003 Running and for some reason some of my Exchange Service do not start after a restart. System Attendand tries to start shuts down unexpectedly. I can go to services right after logging in and start the services and they start with no problem. Right before the error that service did not start, I get this warning: "A service process other than the one launched by the Service Control Manager connected when starting the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service. The Service Control Manager launched process 2448 and process 3688 connected instead. Note that if this se...

Trouble accessing this NG
My usual contact with this NG is via msnews.microsoft.com Today, I cannot make "contact" and have resorted to my ISP's News Server. Any one know what would cause this? Rob Rob No idea. msnews.microsoft.com working fine for myself. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:40:39 GMT, "Rob Nobel" <robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote: >My usual contact with this NG is via msnews.microsoft.com >Today, I cannot make "contact" and have resorted to my ISP's News Server. >Any one know what would cause this? >Rob > Yes Gord,...

Custom CEdit class in SDI formview, How can I access other controls from custom class
Hi all, I need a little help with this if you guys don't mind . I've subclassed CEdit so that I can catch some key messages and do 'stuff' with them some of which invlovles manipulating other controls on the FormView from my CMyCEdit class. However I cannot seem to access those controls(a regular cedit at the momment). a GetDlgItem(IDC_CEDIT); from the custom class always seems to return null. I've read some other newsgroups and I understand this could be because my control could be on a different thread and cannot access the map for the rest of the Formview? I'm no...

Macro or Lookup? Not sure where to start.
I have created two worksheets: 1) Auction Items Item# Table# Location# ItemDescription WinBid are the headers of the data. 2) Bidders Bidder# FirstName LastName I would like to be able to create a macro or something that will allow me to enter the item#, bidder# and winning bid price and have a sheet filled with. ie. Item# 2 (Handcrafted Table) Bidder# 12 (John Doe) Winning Bid $250 Can excel pull from two sheets and created another sheet with all the final details? I am a little new to excel (version 2000) it is the only tool/application available to us at this time. If anyone can poi...

public folder issue 2007
Succesfully upgraded to 2007 server, except im having a few issues with some public folders we have a folder with subfolders on the public folder list eg TOPLEVEL -------SUB1 -------SUB2 -------SUB3 -------SUB4 -------SUB5 however since conversion, i'm unable to access some of the subfolders (but only some!) - i get a error message saying "cannot display the folder. this folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server. contact your microsoft exchange admin for assistance", I cant even admin the permissions from outlook either ? any ideas ? ...

Outlook starting problem
"Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A dialog box is open. Close it and try again." ...

SBS 2007 Error?
I'm working my way through Access 2007 Step by Step. I've come to Chapter 5 which is on forms and am stuck on the exercise known as 05_VBA. I've followed the instructions three times with the same result....nada. It's supposed to create a block of code that is executed after the user updates a particular field. In this case, nothing happens. Has this problem been reported or am I just dense? Thanks. On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:34:01 -0700, Toller <Toller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Not everyone has this book. When you say "after the user updates...

Running CHKDSK at start up
Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? PC runs Windows XP Pro SP3. This way all drives would be checked and errors fixed, if necessary, in one go, at start up on this machine. We intend to do this on this heavily used PC from time to time - we do not need the desired chkdsk functionality to kick in at every boot! Regards and TIA. Avatar -------- "Avatar" <Avatar@re.birth> wrote in message news:hrb4n2$53i$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Is there a way to run chkdsk f/r on all five drives on one PC at start up? ...

access 2000 to access 97 10-09-03
If i produce all my work in access 2000, can i then convert it back to 97. in doing this will all work i have carried out be saved. or should i convert the database as soon as i open up a new database and caarry out all my work there. I am worried that all the data that will be entered will be lost as i know i will have to enter alot of information/ regards ...

Autoclose Access Database if not using for more than a certain period
My Access database is working in a multi-user environment. Is there any function to close the access database if the user is not using the file for more than 2 hours? Thanks. See the following: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210297/en-us or another option would be: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304408 <xiaodan86@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1178590698.082941.302910@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > My Access database is working in a multi-user environment. > Is there any function to close the access database if the user is not > using the file for more than 2 ho...

How do I add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in the.
add consecutive numbers but start over at a break in them. I'm trying to calculate consecutive days of attendance. ...

Starting a new paragraph within a cell
How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again within the cell. Hi. You can press Alt + Enter to create a line break within a cell. Kath firman wrote: > How do you create a line break within a cell? For example, if wanting to list > 2 or more items it looks better if each one is printed under the other as a > list. Or in a comment column when needing to start a new paragraph, again > within th...

HTTP 404, when accessing WebResource.axd
Hi asp.net 3.5 A week ago I added a NoSuchPage.aspx to my site. Useris directed to this page if a 404 error occur. This page writes to the database what page the user was trying to reach. So I somehow have a tool to detect 404 errors. Okay, now I see in the database that one user got 404 accessing WebResource.axd: stored in database: NoSuchPage.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/WebResource.axd Strange that the user was trying to reach this resource. I might have been me using somekind of tool to analyze my site. But that doesn't matter the error shouldn't occur. Been googli...