Simple Query Wizard hangs

I am using Access 2003

When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first
screen - "What fields do you want in your query"

When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following
message:

"The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting
produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list

* the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a
user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
* There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro"

If I click on "OK", I am presented with the list, but if I select a table,
it "hangs" (hourglass)

The only waya out is to "cancel" and exit Access

Any help ?

TIA

JM

0
Jimbo
5/7/2007 3:13:35 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Jimbo,

Here is my standard blurb on wizard-related problems:

Wizards not working
Try the following steps. You possibly have other wizards that are not
functional as well.

Replace three files on your hard drive, Acwzmain.mde, Acwzlib.mde and
Acwztool.mde, using the instructions shown in KB 303769. One or more of these
files may have become corrupted. Do this without Access running.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=303769
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833220   <--- Error in loading DLL

1.) Insert the Microsoft Office or Access compact disc.
2.) By using Windows Explorer, open the Pfiles\Msoffice\Office\1033
     folder on your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and locate the
     Acwzmain.mde, Acwzlib.mde and Acwztool.mde files.
3.) Select these files, and then click Copy on the Edit menu
4.) Open the folder that you installed Office into. The default folder is
     C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office. Select the Office\1033 folder,
     and then on the Edit menu, click Paste.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try re-registering the Accwiz.dll,
Msado15.dll and DAO360.dll files.
Click on Start > Run. Then enter the commands:

    Regsvr32 Accwiz.dll
    Regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\system\ado\Msado15.dll"
    Regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\Dao360.dll"

Wizard starts, but “No valid fields can be found” error message may be
related to overly aggressive settings on antivirus software:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.access.tablesdbdesign/browse_frm/thread/287b312d799c6739/2543458dbca8ddde
and
http://alexdyb.blogspot.com/2006/02/be-careful-with-kaspersky-anti-virus.html

Access 2003 Users:
    BUG: List of currently linked tables may not appear in
    Linked Table Manager Wizard in a database in Access 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=835519

Notes:
1. To find Accwiz.dll in Win. XP Professional, I had to make sure to place a
check on Advanced Options in the search dialog, with Search system folders
and Search Subfolders checked.

2. Although I received a message indicating success, when using regsvr32, I
found that the path was not updated. I had to manually update the value of
this key on my PC.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"Jimbo" wrote:

> I am using Access 2003
>
> When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first
> screen - "What fields do you want in your query"
>
> When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following
> message:
>
> "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting
> produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list
>
> * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a
> user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
> * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro"
>
> If I click on "OK", I am presented with the list, but if I select a table,
> it "hangs" (hourglass)
>
> The only waya out is to "cancel" and exit Access
>
> Any help ?
>
> TIA
>
> JM
WOW! That was fast and comprehensive

I forgot to mention that this only happens when I use the "New" Icon, as
opposed to selecting "Create a query using wizard"

Does this matter ?

Many Thanks

JM
"Tom Wickerath" <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> "Jimbo" wrote:
>
>> I am using Access 2003
>>
>> When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first
>> screen - "What fields do you want in your query"
>>
>> When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following
>> message:
>>
>> "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting
>> produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the
>> list
>>
>> * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a
>> user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
>> * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro"
>>
>> If I click on "OK", I am presented with the list, but if I select a
>> table,
>> it "hangs" (hourglass)
>>
>> The only waya out is to "cancel" and exit Access

0
Jimbo
5/7/2007 3:49:43 PM
Access MDB randomly craps out-- I'd move to SQL Server

On May 7, 8:13 am, "Jimbo" <jjm...@davtv.com> wrote:
> I am using Access 2003
>
> When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first
> screen - "What fields do you want in your query"
>
> When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following
> message:
>
> "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting
> produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list
>
> * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a
> user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
> * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro"
>
> If I click on "OK", I am presented with the list, but if I select a table,
> it "hangs" (hourglass)
>
> The only waya out is to "cancel" and exit Access
>
> Any help ?
>
> TIA
>
> JM

0
dbahooker
5/7/2007 7:45:50 PM
U is Da Man !!!

The first fix did it

Many Thanks again

(See you next time - there will be one !!)

> Hi Jim,
>
>> WOW! That was fast and comprehensive
>
> The copy and paste technique at work, when answering questions!  <smile>
>
>> Does this matter ?
>
> I don't know. Give the directions a try, and please report back what you
> found out.
>

> Tom Wickerath
> Microsoft Access MVP
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom
> http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html
>
> "Jimbo" wrote:
>
>> WOW! That was fast and comprehensive
>>
>> I forgot to mention that this only happens when I use the "New" Icon, as
>> opposed to selecting "Create a query using wizard"
>>
>> Does this matter ?
>>
>> Many Thanks
>>
>> JM

0
Jimbo
5/7/2007 7:58:04 PM
Hi Jim,

You're very welcome. Glad I could be of help.

By the way, this tip is shown on page 5 of my "Access Links.doc" Word
document. You can download a zipped copy from here if you'd like:

   http://home.comcast.net/~tutorme2/samples/accesslinks.zip

"Jimbo" wrote:

> U is Da Man !!!
>
> The first fix did it
>
> Many Thanks again
>
> (See you next time - there will be one !!)
I'm just curious-- why ADO 1.5?

2.5 ships with Windows 2000.. 2.6 with Windows XP

On May 7, 8:32 am, Tom Wickerath <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote:
> [...]

> "Jimbo" wrote:
> > I am using Access 2003
>
> > When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first
> > screen - "What fields do you want in your query"
>
> > When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following
> > message:
>
> > "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting
> > produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list
>
> > * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a
> > user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
> > * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro"
>
> > If I click on "OK", I am presented with the list, but if I select a table,
> > it "hangs" (hourglass)
>
> > The only waya out is to "cancel" and exit Access

dbahooker

Simple graph
I have a chart with zip codes and a population rate. ZIP RATE 80001 2.34 80002 1.23 80003 1.23 I want to make a chart that has the rate on the x axis and the number of times that rate occurs on the y axis. | | | * | | * |_________________________________ | | 1.23 2.34 Thank you. I will assume the ZIP and RATE stuff is in A1:B200 (labels in row 1) Label in G1 to read RATE (but leave it empty for now), label in H2 to read COUNT Make a list of rates in G2:G20 (say) In H2 =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$200,G2) Copy down the row Select H1:G20 and make a...

Simple help with implementing Outlook-like GUI
Hi All. I am an experienced unix programmer who sometimes has to do something in the windows world, and always has newbie-questions. Basically I want to write an application program that looks like outlook in that it has nice icons down the left hand side that choose the content of the main area in the right hand side. So I started the MFC App wizard, and got me a SDI program with a CLeftFrame (CTreeView) and a CMainFrame (CFrameWnd). Then I prepared the following snippet of code to draw the buttons: // Create a pushbutton CBitmapButton* pmyButton; pmyButton = new CB...

Simple Simple Simple
Just started Excel (again) and need to make an easy speadsheet fo calculating square inches. Column A: Height Column B: Legnth Column C: Total Tags per 16 x 24 Column D: Cost per tag Figures I know: each sheet cost me $9.98. each sheet is 16 x 24 inches What I want to do is enter the Height, enter the Length and have th total (sum) be entered into columns C and D. I can't believe I forgot how to enter formulas. Any help will b appreciated. Thank you, Crai -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Craig, One Way, might be better ways but this'll work: List the colou...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uknews.tk Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque.please dont tell to anyone. ...

How to preserve conditional formatting on a web query table result
I have an external database that Excel queries and returns two columns of dates. I can set up a conditional format (in one colum) so that the dates in each row of the column change colour if the corresponding columns date is different. My problem is how to COPY and PASTE the conditional formatting across all dates in the one column (so that each cell looks at the date in the corresponding cell next to it)? Any ideas or suggestions? You can just use the format painter to copy and paste formats -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Simon L" <Simon L@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Simple Query Wizard hangs
I am using Access 2003 When I initiate the "Simple Query Wizard", I am presented with the first screen - "What fields do you want in your query" When I click on the pulldown list to select a table, I get the following message: "The expression On Get Focus you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: the text you entered isn't an item in the list * the expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure]. * There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro&q...

I Need a Simple Sales Software
Hello, I am looking for software to keep track of my prospects, customers, and the notes of the sales process. I spend about one hour a day on sales and marketing, so I prefer a simple and inexpensive software. Maximizer, Outlook, Act, and Goldmine seem made for the full-time professional salesperson. Please let me know if what I am looking for exists. Best Regards, T.I. ...

Query of a subform
I'm looking to create a query that will pull subform data into it. The subform (four of them) have data that gets manually entered. All the boxes in the subform have dropdown boxes except one. This box is used to enter amounts. Will it be possible to pull this data? I can't seem to find it when I use the Query Wizard or Query Design. Thanks for any help. The data that is entered in the subform should be being stored in the table that is the source of the subform. Query that table. -- Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "Gdesrosiers" wrote: >...

Inventory Reconcile hangs on non-inventoried items
This has been a problem forever and is still a problem on Dynamics GP 10 with latest service pack. Why does the inventory reconcile (history NOT checked) hang on non-inventoried items (misc charges)? It has been reconciling the same item for over 15 minutes now and that item doesn't have THAT much data. As well, since this item is non-inventory and has NO quantities on hand, why are these skipped? Why can't Microsoft develop a stored proc that does the reconcile as a single job so that we can schedule this off-hours? Our one company database takes over 8 hours to reconcile ...

Parameterized query in form
My form exports a query. The query needs to select some or all "MICAP"s and some or all "Project"s. My form has an option box [optMICAPS] and another option box [optProjects]. When the option radio button is cleared, a combo box is made visible for selecting a MICAP or Project (cbMICAPID, etc.) The underlying query has a "where" clause like: WHERE MICAPID = IIf([Forms]![frmLaborHistoryExtract]![optMICAPS],"*",[Forms]![frmLaborHistoryExtract]![cbMICAPID]) Similarly for the Project selection. The MICAPID is numeric, as is the ProjectID. When th...

ODBC import with Excel 2007 with Query Wizard
Really strange problem with Excel 2007 and the Query Wizard. I've done this hundreds of times with Excel 2000 and 2003. The set-up is Windows XP, Office 2007 connecting via ODBC to a SQL 2000 server via a ODBC system DSN connection. After selecting the DSN connection from Other connections, the Query Wizard asks you to choose the tables and columns. All of the tables are shown but in the columns, some are missing. Certainly the primary key and text columns. If you cancel using the column choosers and switch to entering your query manually (e.g. select * from companies) it works fi...

Make it more simple or intuitive to do simple things
I appreciate the fact that applications are becoming more versatile and able to do things that we hardly thought possible in the past but I feel that in this added complexity you are losing sight of the need to do simple things easily without resorting to trial and error or consulting "help" which often anyhow doesn't lead one straight to the solution! An example is how to produce a chart with a series of months i.e Jan Feb Mar etc appearing on the X axis. This is no doubt something that resulted naturally in the first versions of Excel charts or in a competitor's ea...

Query-Based Distros for Sender Restriction
Can I use a query based distribution list as a Sender Restriction? i.e., if I have a query based distribution list which is "All Email Users", can I add that to the list of allowed senders on a different distribution list to effectively block external senders from sending mail to that other distribution list? The reason I ask is that I'm tryig to write a vbscript to go through a number of distribution lists and change this but recieve an error if I attempt to set it to a query based distribution list. A regular distribution list works fine. The odd thing is that if I go into t...

Curious Database Query Question
When creating a "New Database Query" from another Excel workbook, when you get to the "Select Workbook" dialog, there is a small checkbox labelled "Read Only". According to the help file, it has this to say: "To prohibit updates to this file, select the Read Only check box." I don't understand why this is an issue. In my understanding, database query is a one-way transfer of data from the external source to your excel workbook...if you edit the data in your workbook, that *doesn't* change the data back in the external source...right? Am I wr...

Simple public folder permission problem
I have a public task list folder. However even though I have given everyone "Author" priviledges and full control of the directory, users cannot update the tasks (although they can create new ones). The changes to tasks get reset to their original values. Where should I look to fix this problem? Brian How did you grant Author Access, via Outlook or ESM? What do you meanyou gave them full control of the directory? "Brian Taylor" <taylorb@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message news:e2hwumGrEHA.1160@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a public task list folder. Ho...

Update query
Are you aloud to qualify criteria’s in an UPDATE Query? I’m trying do a UPDATE Query to import information from one table to another but I’m having trouble getting it to work. If I run the query as followed it works find. UPDATE tblIncomeDetail SET tblIncomeDetail.IncomeDetailID = "1893" WHERE (((tblIncomeDetail.LocationID)=6) AND ((tblIncomeDetail.Date)=#1/4/2008#)); But when I qualify my criteria’s and SET , it doesn’t UPDATE tblIncomeDetail SET tblIncomeDetail.IncomeDetailID = [Tables]![tblIncomeSum]![IncomeID] WHERE (((tblIncomeDetail.LocationID)=[Tables]![tblIncomeSum...

Merge different queries
Hello all, I have two tables where I enter my stock trades as well as foreign exchange (FX) trades. The two tables contain different fields as the trading instruments require different entries. I then created two seperated queries in order to calculate the profit from each stock and each FX trade. I need two queries as the calculations are different, too. Now, I would like to merge the two queries in order to see my overall profit and losses no matter if the trade is a stock or FX trade. That is, in the final query I would like to see the trade ID (which is the primary key in eac...

Rules queries
Hello All I currently use Outlook Express for emailing, with Office 97, but I think I need to move to Outlook97 now because ... I regularly receive 3-5 important emails per week from each of around 110 (specified) people - so around 330-550 emails per week (plus about the same number again of spams and other miscellaneous emails). For all the emails from the 110 specified people I want to do two things: 1) Print them 2) Maintain an electronic copy of the email in a specific folder (different folder for each person - so 110 folders will be set up). I need these two things to happen automati...

Code for Criteria in a Pass Through Query
I have read all of the posts on this forum about Pass Through queries and I just do not get it. Does anyone have any sample code of how they used data on a form as criteria in a Pass Through query. Particularly for date ranges. I have a Pass Through query that looks like this. select [detail].[sd_term_cntry], [detail].[sd_datekey], [detail].[md_tran_amt1], [detail].[sd_key], [detail].[sd_resp_cde], [detail].[sd_mbr_num] from [detail] (nolock) where ((([detail].[sd_term_cntry]) <> '999') and (([detail].[sd_term_cntry]) <> ' ') and (([detail].[sd_...

Clear Unbound Text box used as input parameter to query
I've looked at everything I can find, tried all the suggestions but still can't get this to work. I have a form that opens blank. You input your parameter into an unbound text box then press a command button that performs a requery of the database and returns the results in a continuous form. When the results are returned, the parameter is listed as part of the detail in the form so I want the parameter box to be cleared out and ready for the next one. My command on the Search button looks like this: Private Sub SearchEPICode_Click() Me.Requery End Sub ...

What is simple text?
When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be ignored'. The result is all other data except the accounting formatted data. Help!!!! I suppose it means without the currency symbol and thousands delimiters. On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:01:04 -0700, TexMas <TexMas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When creating a custom list that includes a column of accounting formated >data, I get an error message that 'fields without simple text will be >ignored'. The result is ...

Question on anatomy of a query
I was looking at an article by Plamen Ratchev (which I had printed a while ago but can't find it online anymore) where he states that the first thing a query does if there are 2 tables involved is create a Cartesian Product (cross Join) between each table. Then the ON filter is applied. If Table A has 20,000,000 rows and Table B has 30,000,000 rows - the system would read all the rows and put all the combinations together to get 600,000,000,000,000 rows? Then apply the ON filter??? Where would it put the data it just read? Does it read all this into a temporary table in...

Setting a conditional value in a query to perform an additional qu
Ok, I have a slight brain twister here and wondering if anyone could help shed some light on this. :) Im in the midst of creating a database that will hopefully replace a paper-based system of storing 'shift runsheets' from a 24/7 office. There is 3 shifts per 24 hours; Morning (6am-2:30pm), Afternoon (2pm-10:30pm) and Night (10pm to 6:30am). Each day it adds a new row of data to the table "shift" and users can peform searches on previous sheets by searching the table "previous" which links to "shift". When a user wishes to search, they select the ...

PowerPoint 2004 (11.2) in OS 10.4.3 /4 hangs when opening large PP X document
Came across this a few days ago. On a brand new iBook with 10.4.4 (or 10.4.3), 1 GB of RAM on it and MS Office 2004, PP hangs (not responding) when opening a large Power Point document created in Office X (10.1.4). PowerPoint file is over 200 MB This same file opens fine in the older Office X (PowerPoint 10.1.4) on the same iBook with same config. This looks like a bug in PowerPoint 2004 (11.2) I even captured the sample data from PowerPoint 2004 (11.2) with Apple's tools and have the report file, obviously somethhing is going on within PowerPoint 2004 (11.2) How can I get this bug r...

simple question
Okay, I have a very simple question. Where do the old posts go after they run off the last page of this newsgroup? Sometimes I would like to refer to a post that I remember seeing in October, but is no longer on the current section. The search function seems to only search current posts as well. If anyone has some input please email me at joep@siboneylg.com Thanks kindly. have you tried google groups, they keep archived old posts: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=microsoft.public.greatplains&hl=en "Joe Proehl" <joep@siboneylg.com> wrote in message news:099701c5...