Set character specificiations for field in a table

Hello,

I am working in a table in MS Access 2003 and one of my fields is store
number. Stores are either  a 3- or a 4-digit number (ex. 111, 1234). I have
the data type set as text, but I can change it to number if it needs to be.
Is there a way that I can set the field properties for the store number field
so that the store number will always appear as a 4-digit number and if the
store has only 3-digits it has a leading zero? Basically, if it is 4-digits
already it will appear as is (ex. 1234), but if it is only 3-digits it will
look like this: 0111.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

Becky
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

well if you have the data type as text, it will store leading zeros
and not remove them.  if you keep it as text, you would want to
actually enter the data as: "0111" and not "111".

if the data type is a number, you would just need to format the field
on reports and such so it appears to have that leading zero,

i.e.

Format([StoreNumber], "0000")

0
ghetto_banjo
1/27/2010 7:33:47 PM
Leave it as a number field.  Put something like below in a query or where
needed in a form or report:

String(4-Len([FieldName]),"0") & [FieldName]

If the field is null, only one 0 will show.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Becky N" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working in a table in MS Access 2003 and one of my fields is store
> number. Stores are either  a 3- or a 4-digit number (ex. 111, 1234). I have
> the data type set as text, but I can change it to number if it needs to be.
> Is there a way that I can set the field properties for the store number field
> so that the store number will always appear as a 4-digit number and if the
> store has only 3-digits it has a leading zero? Basically, if it is 4-digits
> already it will appear as is (ex. 1234), but if it is only 3-digits it will
> look like this: 0111.
>
> Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Becky

reshap table
Hi I want to format a table. In the attached file you will find the sourc table and the desired format. I tryed to use Pivot Table but is no suited for the problem. Thank +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: problem.xls |Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=361731 +---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly f...

setting up new outlook mail account

how can I change the scale of the numbers in my chart data table?
I have set up a simple graph, and I have opted to show a data table at the bottom which shows my graph results numerically. However, whilst I have changed the scale on the value axis with no problem, I cannot change the scale of my data table to thousands.. the only option I seem to have is to be able to format the font. Please can you help? A chart data table has very limited capability. Instead of using one, consider simulating the effect. See Custom Chart Table http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel,...

OWA Set Rule problem

How to set backcolour

Create one class in order to connect with multiple tables.
Create one class in order to connect with multiple tables. I always create one new class for one table in order to connect it via wizard. So,I had created ten classes for ten tables. Can you teache me how to create one new class which it can connect to multiple tables? Thanks in advance. Sam, I would assume that you are referening the MFC ODBC classes - specifically the CRecordset. If that is the case, then you have but a few options. If your recordsets are read-only, then you do not have to use a derived class - you can create an object of CRecordset, and use one of the GetFeildValue...

Obtaining the correct results from a two table query
I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and the colour field in table B not containing �Y�. How do I modify the code below to achieve this? SELECT A_Date, A.Received, A.ID, B. Colour FROM A LEFT JOIN B ON DDP_A.Main = B.Main WHERE (((A.Received)= -1) AND ((B.Colour <> �Y�)); jo@jo.uk wrote: >I have two tables say A and B, what I am trying to achieve with the query is >just to display records that have the received field ticked in table A and >the colo...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

The Pivot Table field name is not valid, #2
I am receiving the above error message, but don't understand why. My data is in columns, organised as a list and the columns are labelled. What do I have to do to get over this? Thanks Denise Hey Deniseh... The Pivot table is looking for a concentric group of columns and cells, my belief without seeing the data is that you have a column in the data range that does not have heading... check to verify that each the first cell in each column of the pivot table data range has a value populated -- Thanks for your help - Joe Mac "deniseh" wrote: > I am receiving the ab...

Reading Pane Settings

Detecting if a string has one or more 16-bit characters
How do you go about it in a unicode build? As far as I'm concerned, there is no absolute method. I do recall a recent MSDN magazine article that pointed out that NotePad automatically does this and can sometimes get it wrong. Seems there is a function to do this (sorry, I can't recall where it was or the name), but that it used statistics, which not always correct. I'm sure that the shorter the string, the harder it would be to guarantee correctness. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "flect" <flect@example.net> wrote in m...

How do wrap all columns of a pivot table to 2nd half of same page
I have a 3 column pivot table that can be too long to fit on one page, but I do not want to shrink it to fit (makes type too small) Is there a way to get the rows that don't fit on the page to wrap and print as a 3 column table on 2nd half (open half) of the page? Hi, If you are asking whether you can wrap text in a pivot table - yes, the same way you do it in a spreadsheet - Format, Cells, Alignment, Wrap text I don't think this is what you are after but ... If you are asking can you extend the printout across multiple pages, look at this and see if it addresses anything you ...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Set Focus

Reminder Time vs Due By Field #2
I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact, you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble, but you have to manually add it. In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. However, you have a...

Hi, i was wandering if i was able to put an ascii character in a CSV file to be able to force a page-break in Excel when i load the file. Been trying Ascii character 11 and 10. But none are working! Is that doable? Or should i output a formula/Excel command (which i dont know) to do it? Thanks guys! ...

Copy data of some fields on a form to the next record
I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records. Instead of having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need a checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked, it would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of fields (the 7) to the next record. For instance, when you order an item online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address f...

Publisher 2003 Need to set business card to Avery 5371 setting
I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will print on Avery 5371 business cards Okay.........and your question is? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jonathan" <Jonathan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187615DD-9EF1-42A2-8436-78E6E6C6ACE4@microsoft.com... >I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will > print on Avery 5371 business cards Page setup, business cards, click change copies per sheet, type > .5 top, .75 side, zero gaps. Avery 5371 is a standard business card s...