Searching database for name of table or parts thereof?

Hi there,

I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can be
difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables for
a table name or parts thereof.

How can I do that? I looked for it, but could not come up with an approach.

Thank you for your help.
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mar 3, 4:14=A0pm, FSPH <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can b=
> difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables f=
or
> a table name or parts thereof.

http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-get-a-list-of-access-tables-an=
d-their-row-counts.html

Basically:

SELECT Name FROM  MSysObjects
WHERE
    (Left([Name],1)<>"~")
    AND (Left([Name],4) <> "MSys")
    AND ([Type] In (1, 4, 6))
AND [put your search here, like] name LIKE 'mytable%'

0
Maury
3/3/2008 9:27:21 PM
Hi there,

thanks very much for the VBScript programming solution.

Is there really no built in functionality in Access? I am looking for a
command like "Search data tables" that I can click on........

"Maury Markowitz" wrote:

> On Mar 3, 4:14 pm, FSPH <F...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have about 50 tables in my Access database. As you can imagine, it can be
> > difficult to find specific tables. I would like to search all the tables for
> > a table name or parts thereof.
>
> http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/how-do-i-get-a-list-of-access-tables-and-their-row-counts.html
>
> Basically:
>
> SELECT Name FROM  MSysObjects
> WHERE
>     (Left([Name],1)<>"~")
>     AND (Left([Name],4) <> "MSys")
>     AND ([Type] In (1, 4, 6))
> AND [put your search here, like] name LIKE 'mytable%'

Maury gave you a SQL statement (ie. a query), not VB script.

Access 2007 allows you to search for table names, but you'll need to get
used to working with the Navigation Pane (Pain).

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

"FSPH" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> thanks very much for the VBScript programming solution.
>
> Is there really no built in functionality in Access? I am looking for a
> command like "Search data tables" that I can click on........

getting a column name
please help me with this one ok? lets say i have two columns. in the first raw i have the names: a1= daniel a2=bill the next two rows are numbers b1=10 b2=20 c1=20 c2=40 what i need to do is to know who got the 20 in the previous row. so the cell c3 will be "bill" because in the "b" row bill got "20" a in the "c1" cell. it looks like that ----3-----2-----1---- ----------Bill---Daniel--a ----------20----10-----b ---bill----40-----20----c please help asa -- mordo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mordor's Profil...

Search & replace in formulae

Max length of variable name?
Hi, Sorry if this appears twice, could not tell if first posted. What is the maximun length of a varaible name? x=1 not problem, but xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=2 this is too long, yes? How long can it be? Thanks, -- David On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:49:01 -0700, David <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Sorry if this appears twice, could not tell if first posted. > >What is the maximun length of a varaible name? > >x=1 not problem, but >xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=2 this is too long, yes? How long can it be? > &...

Can't move tables in Relationship view
When I open Relationships in Access 2003, I can initially move just about any table. But then some of the tables become frozen at their position, and I have to wait several minutes before I can move them. What causes this? Is there a work around? I suspect the problem you describe is due to a miscommunication between Access 2003 and Windows. On Windows XP with themes, Access can get confused about what the mouse is pointing to, and doesn't recognise when you are pointing to the border of the tables in the Relationships window. This generally happens when the window has been sc...

converting 1.x database to 2.0 from DOS files
I saved the 1.x database on floppies. Now I need the database again and need to upgrade it. How do I copy the floppies with the 1.x database so that it will work with access 2.0 in an XP pro environment? ...

Searching for Newsgroups

Path Name
I need to have the path name of the file in the footer. I have followed the instructions from the website (which work), but these instructions require the user to save the file first, which is not what I want to do. Also, I want to be able to open up a file that I didn't create and have the path name automatically show up. Thank you. Hi you need to save the file first - otherwise which path should be shown? And if you don't havel Excel 2002+ this requires VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany kbutler@gma-cpa.com wrote: > I need to have the path name of the file...

Search engine optimization

Importing MYSQL databases into CRM 3.0
Hi, Our website portal - an ecommerce store that offers consumer electronics are built on a MYSQL database. We will like to import our Website customer database into CRM 3.0 on a daily basis. Benefit, 1) When customers email us, we can check the history of its purchases (mapped to email address), time of purchases, date of shipment with a click of a button. Is this possible with Microsoft CRM 3.0; if so, is it a easy task that can be dealt with on a daily basis or can be scheduled and automated? thanks Alan Only possible by either buying a 3rd party solution like those from ...

Thrid-part anti-spam and cleaner software : which the best ?
Hello, i would like to put a third-part anti-spam and cleaner software in front of our Exchange 2003 to clean at the maximun the mail that come to our Exchange 2003 server. I read that Esafe Mail from Alladin is good and i just would like to have your opinion or your advice about these softwares (which ? best quality, low price .....) thanks for your post .. Bye ! Maybe you should consider IMF from Microsoft. It's does good work and its FREE. -- Regards, Sasa Milovanovic MCSE:Messaging sasa.milovanovic(at)exchangemaster.net "Ouba" <ouba974@mx.com> wrote in mes...

Using VBA to switch to a particular Access database
Need a bit of help, please, with some VBA code that I've written in Microsoft Outlook 2007. It is intended to call up a specific Microsoft Access database and open a particular form and subform, so that it can then go on to take various actions based on the values from Outlook. Here's the basic code: ------ Sub SwitchToProjects() Dim appAccess As Access.Application Dim ThisDatabaseFileName As String ThisDatabaseFileName = "C:\myFile.mdb" Set appAccess = GetObject(ThisDatabaseFileName, "Access.Application") appAccess...

Sort First and last name in single cell
I have a mailing list of over 10,000 names, with the first name and las name in a single cell. The first name is listed first. Is there a wa to sort the column by last name or better yet isolate the last name t a separate column so I can merge the data to a different application Thank you in advance for your help. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Rpielet, there's no way to sort by last name, given the way your data is entered. Instead, use the Text to Columns command on the Data menu to put first and last names in separate columns. It's very intuitive. Check it out...

Filter drop down box in pivot table
I recently upgraded to Excel 2007 and I'm having difficulty with pivot tables. I have a pivot table with three report filter fields. In previous versions-2003, once I select criteria in the first filter drop down box, the second filter drop down box would only show me a subset of the original data based on the first filter. Once I select the criteria in the 2nd filter pull down box, the the 3rd filter pull down box would only show me a subset of the source data based on the first two filters applied (i.e. there are fewer choices after each query). In 2007, I noticed that once I ...

GP 10 Upgrade
I was wondering if it would be posible to run a GP 10 upgrade as follows - - Relocate a GP8 DB to a new SQL Server (DYNAMICS and Data) - Create a new DSN pointing ot the new SQL Server - Install GP10 using the new DSN - Run GP 10 Utilities to convert the db Respectfully - ingram You should really go out on the customersource site and find the techknowledge regarding moving databases from one server to another. (Transfer of Great Plains from one server to another.) If you are doing what you are describing below, you will lost all your logins, (which is a pain to recreate) and have other...

excel VBA

Joining 2 Tables
How can I join 2 tables that have the same record layouts ? On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:16:01 -0700, carl <carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I join 2 tables that have the same record layouts ? By using an appropriate query. Since we don't know anything about the structure of the tables, how they are related (if at all), nor how you would like them "joined" it's hard to say. More info please? perhaps an example of what you have and what you want? -- John W. Vinson [MVP] Thank you for helping. Table1 is like this: Day Product Qty 2-Jan 1...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Workbook name as variable to another workbook
Hi, Can you save a specific workbook name as a variable, to be used in a different macro? i need the variable to be saved and available to return to the specific workbook open if i have a lot of books open to complete the task. Regards, nigel Option Explicit Dim myWkbkName As String Sub runmefirst() myWkbkName = ThisWorkbook.Name End Sub Sub runmesecond() MsgBox myWkbkName End Sub If you execute runmefirst first, then runmesecond, you'll see that myWkbkname is available in the second. If you need to put the routines in different modules, declare myWkbkName as Public: Publ...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...