Screen capture of text

I have built an access database to work in conjunction with a
companies mainframe.  The system tracks things that the mainframe
system does not.

What I want to do is figure out how to program something to capture
text off the screen and populate certain fields in my database.  This
way the user doesn't need to retype the same information that is on
the screen already.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Robby

0
Rob
8/29/2007 9:04:33 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Robby,

I wouldn't fancy your chances of doing a direct screen capture.  However, if
the data being displayed from the mainframe is in a file, or can be dumped
to a file, you can use the TransferText method to import data from that
file.  The input (text) file can have either fixed width fields or delimited
fields, and you can set up an input specification to read files of a given
format with no user intervention at all.  See the Help file for details.

HTH,

Rob

"Rob Bunocore" <robbuonocore@infocore.us> wrote in message
>I have built an access database to work in conjunction with a
> companies mainframe.  The system tracks things that the mainframe
> system does not.
>
> What I want to do is figure out how to program something to capture
> text off the screen and populate certain fields in my database.  This
> way the user doesn't need to retype the same information that is on
> the screen already.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this?
>
> Robby

0
Rob

Outlook Web Access
Hi Can anybody help me with some simple instructions on how to customise the login screen on Outlook Web Access...? I've found a number of "planetary" explanations, but if there are any simple ones out there..?, that would be great... Any help apprciated Colin (PS - I'm okay with Frontpage..) ...

Summing instances of text across worksheets
Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets for each month. The sheets contain a list client names (entered exactly the same on each sheet). I need to summarize how many times a client name appears in total. For example, John Brown may appear Jan & Feb (=2) where Mary Brown may appear Jul, Sep, Dec (=3). I've been trying pivot tables without luck. Hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance! Never mind, I consolidated all the worksheet data into one and the pivot table works fine. Thanks anwyay! "George" wrote: > Hello, I have a workbook with separate sheets fo...

multiple text boxes when pasting in text from other programs
When copying and pasting text from Outlook Express or other programs into a newly created text box, each paragraph is going into its own separate text box within the original text box. This did not happen in Publisher 2000. Is there a way to 'turn off' this automatic text box creation and allow an entire article to go in as pasted? Miss Mood wrote: > When copying and pasting text from Outlook Express or other programs > into a newly created text box, each paragraph is going into its own > separate text box within the original text box. This did not happen > in Publi...

why does my screen keep freezing up on me
every so often my screen freezes,after about 20 or 30 seconds it comes back on, anyone know how to resolve this? Do you see anything on the status bar (bottom of Excel Window) like "Saving Files" Unfortunately Excel will not do this when you are away from your PC but waits for you to do something in Excel before checking to see if it is time to save -- in other words when you are busy. Tools, Autosave (bring up the item) --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

Ho wto trigger an event after entering a number in a text box
Hi Guys, I want ot be able to trigger an event to occur after i enter a number into a text box. For instance If i have a text box and I enetr a number into the text box I want to activate the code wiothout pressing the enter key or by moving the mouse. How would I do that?? I have already tried a few things to noavail. I have tried: a. On Mouse Move b. On Lost Focus c. On Dirty It is updated of course when you press the "enter" key, but I want the text box to be updated as soon as a number button is pressed. ie without having to press the "enter" ke...

date as number not a text cell
Hi, I have problem with date format. I have created file with two sheets Data are tranfered from one sheet to the other by macro. The cell H3 i the first sheet as well as the columne C in the second sheet ar formated as a date dd-mm-yyyy (format>cell>date). In fact at the firs glace everything looks OK, however although the above format ofth cells they are treated as a text not a number calculating days sinc 1900-Jan-0. How in easy way to make them numbers. Regional setting i my computer is yyyy-mm-dd, but the file will be filled on by severa people from defferent computers with differen...

Crosstab Graph Report not showing Parameters in text box
I have a report using a crosstab query in a graph. The query is asking for parameters. When I try to pass the parameters to a text box on the graph they will not pass through. I am building it in text box in an expression. Any suggestions? I would expec the parameters to come from controls on a form. You should be able to add text boxes to the report near the graph with control sources like: =Forms!frmParameters!txtStartDate -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP NOTE: These public News Groups are ending June 1st. Consider asking questions at http://social.answers.microso...

Strip out text from cells
Hi Below is an example of what I have done but excel keeps reversing the formula back to g to h instead of h to g. =MID(G5,1,FIND(h5:g5,1)-1) this what I enter. =MID(G5,1,FIND(G5:H5,1)-1) this what i get. Column A Col B Col C Result 12T t =MID(G5,1,FIND(h5:g5,1)-1) (#VALUE!) Is there another way of stripping out the text (sometimes it might just be one nos and then text as 9v), any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow Why are you using a colon ...

How to stop screen so i can read blue screen message
Hi, I have XP pro and it has started to keep on rebooting at start up with a flash of a blue screen message which I can't read as it is so fast. It boots up with the Windows logo screen and the blue lines showing it working for a few seconds but then it goes black and then the blue screen flashes and it then reboots to the same thing again. How can I read that blue screen and how can I see what it wrong and fix it. Thanks oz "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message news:#bLvKtrpKHA.5760@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have XP...

vertical text
Any one help me with displaying text vertically, without expanding the row height? Dan, Do you have exceptional eyesight? Bernard "Dan" <hemidan@aol.com> wrote in message news:27b301c38367$5ae76490$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Any one help me with displaying text vertically, without > expanding the row height? ...

Screen Size
How do I get my webpage to automatically resize to fit everybodys screen? Thanks, Scott By using a percentage width in your body table rather then a fixed width. Something you can only do with a actual html editor/web design tool. Publisher has zero support for this. This is covered in the FAQ - http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30 David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "Scott" <scott.tuttle@delta.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c4d8ca$15508b50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do I get my webpage to automatically resize to ...

Splash Screen & Login Screen
Is there any way to modify the images on the Splash Screen, or the Login Screen to make it more branded to our company? Thanks! ...

auto row height a cell with wrap text enabled and a lot of charact
How do I auto row height cells that have been wrap text enabled to work correctly? Scenario is: from a word document I copy and paste the text into an excel 2007 spreadsheet. The cells are wrap formatted and the column width narrowed, manually, to enable them to fit to A4 paper. Some cells can have as many as 900 characters. Problem is: the cells auto row height adjusts to the number of characters but it is cropped and missing some text when print view or printed? I have tried various formats of the cell alignment but still no good! Is there a solution as to how I get around this? ...

Touch Screen Department & Categories
I have a need to setup Touch Screen in RMS. But I need to be able select a Department and then have an additional prompt of a catagory. Right now the way RMS works is you can only have RMS setup so you can see all Departments but then that gives you a long list of every item in that department. We want to break it down into further sub-groups. I know that RMS doesn't do this out of the box but if any one has any ideas on how to accomplish that woule be great. David We have an RR Touch module that will do this for you and more. Contact me if you wish to try this. Afshin Ali...

Windows 7 upgrade Blue Screens my laptop. Maybe because of ATI?
Laptop's a Gateway NV52 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I'm upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I ran the Upgrade Advisor and it told me to uninstall ATI Catalyst Install Manager, which I did. I put in the upgrade disk, and after Phase 1 (3 total phases), it had to restart to begin Phase 2. After the Gateway logo screen, it blue screened on me. The error code was 0x7b. It didn't even do the whole mini dump thing it usually does when it blue screens. It never even makes it to the Welcome scene (where the green bar is loading on the black screen, not the Vista wel...

HHP TT8810 as Pin Pad and Sig Capture?
Is it possible to use HHP TT8810 as both a Pid Pad for debit and a Signature Capture with RMS? Thank you www.hhp.com No, only the 1500 right now. -- * "SJ" <simonajewelry@msn.com> wrote in message news:672801c4cba9$83d4a800$a601280a@phx.gbl... Is it possible to use HHP TT8810 as both a Pid Pad for debit and a Signature Capture with RMS? Thank you www.hhp.com The 3100 and 8800 models will actually work, but only as a single function - you can use them as Sig Capture only, or Card Reader Only. This is due to a limitation in the HHP OPOS drivers and the way that RM...

Excel 2002 Changes Screen Resolution
When Excel 2002 launches, it changes the screen resolution to 640x480. How do I get it to stop this? That's new one! Just to be sure that it is Excel, and not something that is loading with Excel, from Start->Run enter "Excel /s" (no quotes) and press Enter. This is "safe mode" where nothing extra runs. If it doesn't happen then you know it's an add-in or something auto-loading from ,say, XLSTART. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Sheila B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5c7401c42d7e$a9db5770$a001280a@phx.gbl... ...

POS screen is invisible
Our POS froze the screen was restarted and for some reason the user name and password entry box was in the upper left hand corner of the screen and once logged in the POS screen is invisible. We can still scan in items but we can not see what we are doing. We are in the middle of a huge holiday with no POS screen to work from. Help. We have restarted the company 5 times and no change. We can access the Manager with no problem. James Harris Harris & Clark - thoughtful Grocery and Food School www.harrisclark.com This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_0...

Format Text
Is there a way to format certain cells in a row so that some state abbreviations, e.g., NM, will have an asterisk appear after the abbreviation (NM*), but the actual value of the cell will be NM? 10 state abbreviations will have an asterisk after them (NH, NJ, PA, AL, MI, LA, MO, CO, CA, CA and AK). I can't hardcode the asterisk as these cells affect the value in other cells, and I need the actual value of the cell be the abbreviation without the asterisk. Any ideas? Thanks, Carroll Rinehart Sorry, just found an example. The custom format would be @"*". I can add the custom...

Print Screen using dual screens?
I have recently set up to use dual screens.....this is great for productivity! If I now do a PrtScn, however, I get the screen shot of both monitors. Is there any clever way of achieving the screen shot only of one, or the other screen? Al Al wrote: > I have recently set up to use dual screens.....this is great for productivity! > > If I now do a PrtScn, however, I get the screen shot of both monitors. Is > there any clever way of achieving the screen shot only of one, or the other > screen? > > Al By design, as it has always been with ...

Vertical Text
Is there a way to have a label have vertical text (as if the box had been turned 90 deg) Thanks Terry Select the Label, then goto Properties - Other and set Vertical to Yes. But beware! This can be kind f tricky, depending on the font and font size you're using, and the width of the label. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/201001/1 Got it - Thx "Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe>...

Full screen mode in Word Office doesn't work
Good morning or evening Since I downloaded the new version of MAC OS X Snow Leopard I can't make the "Full screen" mode work for my Word Office files. May be it has nothing to do and I missed that they cancelled the Full screen mode. Does somebody knows? Thanks a lot for your feedback Constance Hi Constance, is the option still there under View>Full Screen? Mind you, full screen mode in Word is very underwhelming at best; it does not hide the other applications, as Pages and many other applications do, but only maximises the screen space occupied by the document window...

Conditional Formatting of Text...
....I know how to apply Conditional Formatting to cells containing numeric data; is it possible to apply it to cells where the result is textual? For example: =if(a1>=5000,"High","Low") In this instance, I would want to conditionally format this cell so that if the result is High, then the text should be bold and red. Thanks in advance. I'm using Excel 2002... Hi click on the cell choose format / conditional formatting choose cell value is equal to ="high" click the format button set your formatting click OK twice Regards JulieD "Birmangirl&quo...

Linked Text Boxes
I am using Publisher 2002 to create a newsletter. I used the design layout wizard for the style and I am trying to update the text boxes. When I change the text box to a different font on Page 4 it Changes my headline on page 1, or if I delete it on 4 the main headline is deleted on Page 1. I know that these two (and possibly others) are linked but I don't want that. How can I unlink these text boxes without deleting them and recreating them. I might be using the wrong terminology here but the two boxes update each other. This is a really annoying prospect that I might have to co...

screen shot
I would like to have a screen shot for my data entry form only. I tried to use ALT+ PrtSc key press to catch the screen. It seems to copy all the Access application, not the data entry screen. I found the help file that it says ALT + PrtSC can capture active Windows. It seems that it considers the whole Access application is an active Windows, but not Data Entry Form. Is it because Access MDI applciation that screen capture consider it is one Windows? Are there any work around for capture one active Windows for MDI appicaltions like Access? Your information is great appreciated, ...