Scalability and General Question for you guys

Hello.  I have a strange request… I am not looking for any one answer in
particular, but perhaps your opinion on how to deal with the following
situation… and may be how your company dealt with the following:

The company I work for has grown very rapidly, almost to quick.  We went
from about 350 employees to over 1500 in 3 years.  During this growth there
was a need by our business units to track or analyze data, and of course no
budget to do so.  So they went and created their own MS Access databases with
no input from the IT department.  They have now created over 100 business
critical MS Access applications.

So now that our company recognizes these applications as being business
critical they want to find the best way to assess risk to business
operations, and find the best solution to support these application including
file backups etc.

Have any of you ever dealt with a similar situation?  Are there any third
party tools that are good for version control/backup for instances like this?
 Any input would be very well received.  I appreciate your time… I already
know how I want to deal with this situation, but nobody listens to me ;)

More background on our situation:

Let’s see, to make things even worse we run a both NOVEL and AD on our
network!  What a darn mess!!!  To say the least our network is not the most
stable and I frequently encounter corrupted files… and have run across weird
MS Access issues that I have never seen in my 10 years supporting MS Access.
Oh yeah, we totally live 7 years in the past and mostly use MS Access 2000,
with a few lucky folks having 2003!  So a mixed office environment makes my
life so much easier too lol.  Think that wraps it up… I’m thinking I should
just get my resume out there and move on lol.

Thanks!

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

There are many many people on this forum with a vast amount of knowledge and
experience in just your type of situation - I am not one of these.

My one comment would be (not sure if it's an option though) that "there are
times when you just have to stop and start again".

This will cause problems if you have an empire builders in the organisation
but if you can convince the top people then you may have a chance.  If not
it's going to get worse until one day it will all come to a grinding stoop.

Good luck

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Chefjay22" wrote:

> Hello.  I have a strange request… I am not looking for any one answer in
> particular, but perhaps your opinion on how to deal with the following
> situation… and may be how your company dealt with the following:
>
> The company I work for has grown very rapidly, almost to quick.  We went
> from about 350 employees to over 1500 in 3 years.  During this growth there
> was a need by our business units to track or analyze data, and of course no
> budget to do so.  So they went and created their own MS Access databases with
> no input from the IT department.  They have now created over 100 business
> critical MS Access applications.
>
> So now that our company recognizes these applications as being business
> critical they want to find the best way to assess risk to business
> operations, and find the best solution to support these application including
> file backups etc.
>
> Have any of you ever dealt with a similar situation?  Are there any third
> party tools that are good for version control/backup for instances like this?
>  Any input would be very well received.  I appreciate your time… I already
> know how I want to deal with this situation, but nobody listens to me ;)
>
> More background on our situation:
>
> Let’s see, to make things even worse we run a both NOVEL and AD on our
> network!  What a darn mess!!!  To say the least our network is not the most
> stable and I frequently encounter corrupted files… and have run across weird
> MS Access issues that I have never seen in my 10 years supporting MS Access.
> Oh yeah, we totally live 7 years in the past and mostly use MS Access 2000,
> with a few lucky folks having 2003!  So a mixed office environment makes my
> life so much easier too lol.  Think that wraps it up… I’m thinking I should
> just get my resume out there and move on lol.
>
> Thanks!

VB question
I would like some advice please. I am trying to learn VB6. I was recommended a very expensive book, Programming in Visual Basic 6.0. Before I decide to keep this book. I would like to know if the practice/examples in this VB book can be used in Microsoft Visual Basic Access 2003? Thank you for any advice. Sorry, I don't have a copy of the book, so I can't give a definitive answer. However, the language components of VB and VBA are very similar. The major problem you may run into is the fact that the controls available for forms in VB are quite different that for forms in Ac...

Exchang 5.5 Question
Hi, I'm currently runnning Enterprise, if I can trim and compact our database to go down below 16GB, can I restore the database to an Exchange Standard edition installation? Thanks TagaR hmmm...that's a good question. I have never heard of anyone wanting to do that, or trying it. I can't find anything on it...my first instinct would be to say no, but I am not 100% certain. are you going to do this in production? you might want to test it on a recovery server, first, to see what your results would be... "TagaR" <TagaR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

COM question
Hi all, I'm new to COM. My question is with a specific goal, but i guess this a general COM issue, so I hope some COM expert could help me. I developed a webbrowser based on the webbrowser activeX control. When I noticed that it doesn't respond to keys like tab,delete and others, i googled a bit and found that when adding the code below to the WinMain message handle loop it works. The important class is named BrowserWindow and it holds pointers to IWebBrowser2 interface and a CAxWindow object. My question: is it necessary to do in every round of the loop the queryInterface(), release(...

newbie question
Hi, I just started using Money 2004 deluxe and to be honest this is the first time I use it so I have some basic questions that I tried to find answer without success. 1- I included a CC account, this is an old credit card and I don't know the starting balance of it, I just know the current balance. I downloaded the transactions from the bank and now I'm trying to balance it. What is the best way of doing it? I was trying to look for an option that let me especify the current balance and the software be capable of calculate the starting balance. 2- Last friday I downloaded a...

Newby CRM question
How do you create the 3 CRM databases if you are using a full recovery backup plan? I cant find an example & I want to make sure there isn't anything beyond the "obvious". I know very little about SQL Server. Thanks, Bill Bill, The CRM installation will automatically create the databases for you. The recovery plan shouldnt have anything to do with this. Once their created, you can verify the DB settings to make sure the recovery mode is set to Full, but that should be all you need. Was there something more you were looking for? Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM -------...

Can I load a general macro without loading an excel document?
Can I load a general excel macro without loading an excel document so that it can be used by every document that is loaded with excel? -- Neil Wills UBmatrix If you create a personal.xls file, any macro in it will automatically be loaded whenever Excel is invoke. -- Gary's Student "Neil.Wills" wrote: > > Can I load a general excel macro without loading an excel document so that > it can be used by every document that is loaded with excel? > > -- > Neil Wills > UBmatrix ...

migration question #13
hello and happy new year i am trying to migrate from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Since we never used public folders in exchange 5.5, do I need to migrate public folders using pfmigrate? or can i just setup replication for schedule and free busy and offline address books and once in sync, i can remove the old exchange 5.5? thanks No need to migrate PFs if you have none. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "xiyan" <noemail@email.com> wrote in message news:uMVQbxSLHHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > hello and happy new ...

If/And/Vlookup question
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet set up as follows: Column A = dates in month/day/year format Column E = number of hours Column F = $ rate associated with the hours in Column E Column I = Total of Column E X Column F In Column J I would like to do the following, but I'm not sure what' the most efficient way of doing it. I would like to summarize th Total amount in Column I for each month and year. For example, I woul like to add the totals from Column I for all the data for the month o May, 2004 (dates in Column A). I understand I can add a row unde each each month and subtotal the ...

General Help
Hey, with the world cup draw just gone, i was trying to make a sprea sheet, one page tables, 2nd page results, and all u do is fill in th reults, and then it fills in the table automatic, i managed to do th formula's for, GF (simple, 3 cells added) GA (3 cells added again) an GD (= GF - GA) but i don't know how to do, Games Won, Games Drawn, Games Lost, Points, and for Games played i did, a 1, or 0 next to each fixture, (so i jus add a 1 when the game has been played - add all that team's together get games played) [is there another way for that one??] any help? -- M4dSk1ll --...

Exchange 2010 CALs question
In terms of migrating to Windows Server 2008, we must use device Server/RDS CALs. When we install Exchange Server 2010, must we use device CALs or can we work with user CALs instead?? On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:46:40 -0800 (PST), tom12010 <tlyczko@gmail.com> wrote: >In terms of migrating to Windows Server 2008, we must use device >Server/RDS CALs. > >When we install Exchange Server 2010, must we use device CALs or can >we work with user CALs instead?? Exchange and Windows CALs are unrelated. There are two types of Exchange CALs - standard & Enterprise. T...

Question about SetCurSel()
Hi, I have a combo box control specified with the drop down (not drop list) style. The list box portion of the control is populated with data from a recordset to allow the user to select from a list of pre-loaded items. Or they may choose to type in a new entry. As the user enters data into the edit box portion of the control, the program checks after each keystroke to see if the entry data matches anything currently in the list. If it does, the drop down list appears and the list item closely or exactly matching the data that has been entered is selected and appears in the edit ...

Question about reports!
I customized my Spending By Category report so that it reflects ONLY one of my bank and credit card accounts I have in my MS Money. So now when I go to reports and choose Spending by Category everything works the way I want it to, but when I click on Home - My Money and see the Spending By Category report there, it reflects ALL my accounts for some reason. What can I do to fix that? Thank you! In microsoft.public.money, sergei_vlad wrote: >I customized my Spending By Category report so that it reflects ONLY one of >my bank and credit card accounts I have in my MS Money. So now w...

CAsyncSocket design question

Byte Array Question
I am looking for some help understanding this piece of code. byteArray(12) = CType((1 >> 16 and 255), Integer) I'm not a VB.Net programmer and I don't know what the double greater than symbol means ( >> ) and why the original person is using the And operator here. I found this code in VB.Net that does what I need to do, except I need to do it in VBA so I am trying to gain a better understanding of what this is doing so I can translate it. For background, here is a description of what I am trying to accomplish. "For each of the remaining 18 tracki...

Question about how VB6 uses dependincy files
I seem to remember a discussion here about putting ocx and other files in the program folder instead of in the system folder and that the vb program would find them there. I was not able to find what I was looking for so thought that I would ask the experts here, to go over it again. I tried this once and it did not work and I moved the dependent files to the system folder, but I may have been trying to do it wrong. :-) Not unusual for me. 1) For instance if I put the sqlite dll in the program folder will the vb program look for it there first? If so will it load it for db use a...

Address book question/ receipt question
We are using Outlook 2002 with Windows XP (new upgrade last couple o weeks.) When I use the address book to look up a contract address t send a new email, it also pulls up the fax numbers. So, I will have name listed twice, once with the email address and once with the fa number. Is there any way to have the address book within the emai program only list the email address? Also, if we have selected the email option to request a delivery an read receipt from an email recipiant, it also seems to be requestin notification when the receipiant deletes an email. Anyway to remove th "delete&q...

"Diagonal" cells
Hi. I'm doing a tricky poor-man's-Illustrator project with Excel 2007. I'm trying to create the impression of a large cell that's been split in half diagonally (with a diagonal ascending from bottom left to top right). I've created a 2 x 2 grid of cells and put a diagonal border through the lower left and top right cells and removed the vertical, internal borders. Looks great so far. In addition, I'd like to place text in the upper left and lower right cells. Ideally, this text would be wider than the upper left or lower right cell and would flow over into the adja...

Question on ShellExecuteEx
When I tried to use ShellExecuteEx to display Microsoft Word or Excel document, the documents are not displayed on the top of all open windows. What do I need to do so that ShellExecuteEx will always display my files on the top. My SHELLEXECUTEINFO SHELLEXECUTEINFO ShellInfo; ZeroMemory(&ShellInfo,sizeof(ShellInfo)); ShellInfo.cbSize = sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO); // ShellInfo.fMask = SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS | SEE_MASK_FLAG_DDEWAIT; ShellInfo.hwnd = NULL; ShellInfo.lpVerb = "open"; ShellInfo.lpFile = (LPCTSTR)szRunAppName; ShellInfo.lpParameters = NULL; ShellInfo....

Scalability?
So what kind of scalability issues are you seeing with MSCRM 4? How many concurrent users have you seen on one platform? Looking for heads-down, heavy usage Sales Force Automation type usage - how many sales reps have you guys seen get on a beefy MSCRM implementation doing smile-and-dial all day? Dear Mark, I have heard about the implementation of more than 5000 users and hundreds in concurent way using this. happy to use ms crm. More case studies are coming with implementation, it all depends on other. Also Ms CRM 4.0 live , hosted version increasing day by day. You can check this fro...

Design question
Hi guys, I am in the process of designing the table structure for some work we're doing, and am looking for advice on table design with regards a particular requirement. As I am contracted to a govornment organisation, I am giving examples, and not the real details. Requirement 1 has been covered: A person can have a Court Appearance. A court Appearance can have a number of Charges heard for that person at that appearance. A judge can Order the person to some form of sentance for a particular charge. So, We have a Person table, an Appearance table, which has a PersonID. We ...

Nutty question
Sorry for the off the wall question but where would I find a list of Microsoft approved Exchange configurations? I have heard things like Exchange 2003 can’t or shouldn’t be loaded onto a 2000 Server, or never install 2000 Exchange on a 2003 Server, etc. Thanks, Exchange Server 2000 is not compatible with Windows Server 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/previous/2000/sysreqs.mspx Exchange Server 2003 is compatible with both Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange ww...

RMS
Hi... I'm an RMS newbie so forgive the question.... I have a client who is looking for a front/backoffice retail solution... They have 2 Wholesale warehouses (4/5 tills each)... and about 25 retail shops (2 tills each)... HQ for the company is attached to one of the warehouses... all shops are linked by WAN... each shop has a back office server... They have about 150000 product lines, and my question is... is RMS up to this scale of business? We will engage an RMS partner at the appropriate point... but before we start I'd be very grateful if some of you experienced people ca...

question regarding the IF formula
Hi: Did anyone know if there is a way to add more than 7 nested IF's on the same formula?? I really need to add more than 7 but excel didn't let me. Or did someone of you know another option (method, function) to have several IF on the same formula? Thanks for your help! Nelly Montalvo. There are ways, but it depends upon what you are doing. Give some details. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Nelly" <Nelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA99ACC7-D940-4903-8BB5-2F4724EB16C7@microsoft.com... > Hi: > ...

Conditional format question
Is it possible to write a conditional format like this? "If the contents of this cell do not equal the contents of the last occupied cell in this column, format the cell in a particular way." I'm building a transaction schedule, dates in the A column, balances in the F column. As more transactions are added to the schedule, the last occupied cell in the column changes. In a cell outside the schedule, I have a check value from another source that should tie back to the last occupied cell in the row. I want that cell to have a certain format if there's a discrepancy, rathe...

Form question
When formX do a formY.Show vbModeless, Me, does formY know the reference of Me (where it originate). I am trying to show the original form and I don't want to use vbModel. If not, any sugestion is welcome. Thanks On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:35:54 -0400, "Phil Hunt" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote: >When formX do a formY.Show vbModeless, Me, does formY know the reference of >Me (where it originate). >I am trying to show the original form and I don't want to use vbModel. If >not, any sugestion is welcome. > If I understand your question then yes...