Saving 2007 Access database as 2003

I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What is
confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I am
in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere in
the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and I
accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.

Thank you for any help.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

What I have done is to create a blank .mdb database and import everything and
it worked, but I would still like to know how to save a 2007 database as a
2003 database, please.

"Owl" wrote:

> I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What is
> confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I am
> in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere in
> the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and I
> accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
>
> Thank you for any help.
Are you attempting to save as A2003, but using the same name as your A2007
db?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What is
> confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I
> am
> in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> in
> the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and
> accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
>
> Thank you for any help.

0
Jeff
3/5/2010 4:07:10 PM
Owl,

If the extension is .MDB it's already a 2003 database (or earlier) so I am
confused what you are trying to do and why.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Owl" wrote:

> I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What
> is
> confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I
> am
> in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> in
> the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and
> accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
>
> Thank you for any help.

0
Gina
3/5/2010 4:08:24 PM
Jeff, yes, except for the extension, but it doesn't have to be.

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Are you attempting to save as A2003, but using the same name as your A2007
> db?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What is
> > confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> > but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> > click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I
> > am
> > in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> > in
> > the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and
> > accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
>

> .

Gina, it was an .accdb file, but during the process of trying to save it as
an .mdb file, it shows the name that it WOULD be (and thus with an extension
of .mdb, if only I could have got it saved, but then it doesn't save it.

"Gina Whipp" wrote:

> Owl,
>
> If the extension is .MDB it's already a 2003 database (or earlier) so I am
> confused what you are trying to do and why.
>
> --
> Gina Whipp
> 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)
>
> "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors
> II
>
> http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm
>
> "Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I have done is to create a blank .mdb database and import everything
> and
> it worked, but I would still like to know how to save a 2007 database as a
> 2003 database, please.
>
> "Owl" wrote:
>
> > I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What
> > is
> > confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> > but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> > click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I
> > am
> > in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> > in
> > the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and
> > accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
>
> .

Owl,

Then as Jeff's question indicates, what happens if you use a different name?

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Gina Whipp" wrote:

> Owl,
>
> If the extension is .MDB it's already a 2003 database (or earlier) so I am
> confused what you are trying to do and why.
>
> --
> Gina Whipp
> 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)
>
> "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors
> II
>
> http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm
>
> "Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What I have done is to create a blank .mdb database and import everything
> and
> it worked, but I would still like to know how to save a 2007 database as a
> 2003 database, please.
>
> "Owl" wrote:
>
> > I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What
> > is
> > confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed
> > out,
> > but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> > click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that
> > am
> > in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> > in
> > the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that
> > and
> > accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
>
> .

0
Gina
3/5/2010 9:27:44 PM
"Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What is
> confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed out,
> but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and I
> click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying that I
> am
> in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.  Somewhere
> in
> the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that and
> accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
>
> Thank you for any help.

0
De
3/13/2010 5:44:59 PM
jkjkjk

"Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : BC84F64B-BA46-4EB0-A1D6-15EE9349B5B0@microsoft.com...
> Jeff, yes, except for the extension, but it doesn't have to be.
>
> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Are you attempting to save as A2003, but using the same name as your
>> A2007
>> db?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "Owl" <Owl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am struggling to save a 2007 Access database as a 2003 database.  What
>> >is
>> > confusing is that you have to be in it otherwise the option is greyed
>> > out,
>> > but when it shows the name of the database with the .mdb extension and
>> > click on Save it gives a message with words to the effect of saying
>> > that I
>> > am
>> > in the database and the file cannot be saved when I am in it.
>> > Somewhere
>> > in
>> > the process it said that the file had to be closed and did I want that
>> > and
>> > accepted that but nothing was closed in the process.
>> >
>> > Thank you for any help.
>>

>> .

0
joelgeraldine

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

BP3 Site Settings access

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

Save and save as

Access Databases merging when syncing PDAs with Handbase
Help................. I have a probelm with seperate Access databases merging when PDA's are sync'd back to handbase. I have created a a handbase database created with Data Exchange to get the data into it. I then have a blank Acess database where the table etc etc match the Handbase database. I then out it onto several PDA's and data is collected. Then the PDA's are docked and the data updates in the Acess database.....all good !!! The work is carried out in serveal areas so I make a new database for each area........the probelm is thugh sometimes when a PDA is docked all...

Mouse dissappears in Outlook 2007 B2
Notice an annoying "feature", my mouse will dissappear in Outlook for some reason and have to drag it off the Outlook window to like the tastbar or desktop and back again to see it. Dang, was hoping 2007 would have a universal selection in turning off that $@%$# GROUP view and READING PANE. I want neither, but have to go through all my folders (26) to change them to "normal" viewing. Also, guess Beta testers know this, but the scanpst.exe doesn't work in B2. Keep getting "procedure entry point DDLUnintInstace@" errors in fixing on ..pst file Outlook ...

Multiple Quarantine Folders in Outlook 2003
A user showed me that her folders list has recently grow multiple quarantine folders: Quarantine, Quarantine1, Quarantine2, etc. The is not a shared computer. The only reference I can find is something to do with the Cached Mode. But is there something I am missing? Client PC Windows XPSP2 Office Outlook 2003 Server (Internal) Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 Exchange Server 2003 SP2 IMF with regular updates to filter file Thanks in advance, Mike "M" <nothing@nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:OliqA7IfJHA.504@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >A user showed me that her...

ATTN: Need to import data from access database, hosted on web.
This should be fun. I can use the import data feature to get data into excel from a loca access database, But i need a central access dbase on the web, and when someone open the excel workbook, it auto updates from the access dbase hosted on th web server. Im assuming this has something to to with the connection strings et that i need to write, could anyone point me in the right direction o post a solution, many many thanks in advance. Pau -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Saving Images

Publisher 2007 #35
Why does it keep crashing when I minimise it? Is your video/graphics driver current? Are you getting an error message? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "comicool" <comicool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BAA1E8A-1A18-4C5A-8652-C7A3F3E30F1B@microsoft.com... > Why does it keep crashing when I minimise it? ...

update 2007
what is the latest ver number? I don't think my copy is updating. In microsoft.public.money, Bruce Wayne wrote: >what is the latest ver number? >I don't think my copy is updating. Current 2007 version is 16.0.*.1303. ...

Money 2007 Home and Biz Budget Question
I've gone through and budgeted each of my individual expense and income categories in the Savings and Spending Budget. However, under the Committed and Fun Budget Groups, there is a very large Unallocated balance. I can't figure out how to get rid of it, or how to backtrack to somehow correct the problem. The amount is very large and is really throwing my overall budget and Lifetime Planner completely out of whack. Any help is appreciated! Steve The budgeting within 2007 is NOT an improvement from earlier versions. Where is the option to used the advanced budget? Some of ...

Accessing Excel files over network
Hi Guys, First time here, so go easy on me. Scenario: Basic Windows 2000 Server based network with about 20 work stations connections. Server is a DC and workstations are all running Windows XP Pro. Workstations are also running Office XP. Users have deposited common files in a folder on the server. Because of control measures, these excel folders and files need to have permissions defined for either full control of read only access for certain members of the dept. Eg would be Folder Full Control Read-only Folder A Employee 1 Employee 10 ...

Outlook 2007 Calendars
How do I combine all calendars into one calendar: Birthday; US Holiday; appts.. I want the choice of looking at ONE calendar and seeing all of this different information displayed. Are you using the Outlook Connector with a hotmail/msn account? Hotmail creates the different calendars. You can drag everything to one calendar (use all appointment view then select all and drag or move). -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscr...

Database is Read-Only for users without administrative rights
I have recently set up a multiuser database with a front end on each users workstation and the back end on the server. All users are forced to use the front end in Access 2007 Runtime mode. The system has been tested for several weeks and worked fine in a branch office where all users are at administrator level. When I transferred the database to our head office I discovered that standard users (i.e users, mobile users or power users) receive a warning message that the database has been opened in read only mode. Whilst these users are able to edit most of the data on the forms and que...

"Unattainable" savings goals

Importing from Outlook to Access
I am trying to set up an import between MS Access and Outlook. The basic purpose is to keep track of where a contract is in out multiple step review process. I want to set up a task to import the informational contents: i.e. name of contract from subject and date received to an Access table which will also contain fields with the time the primary review occurred, the time data entry entered info into our contracts database, and the time the secondary review occurred. I tried to import the first time and was successful However, for whatever reason I can not save the import to ...

How to delete task request from inbox on Outlook 2007
For 13.5 months a "task request" from a coworker has been parked in my inbox. The task is complete and was marked as such but I cannot delete it, move it, reply to it, forward it, or take ANY action on it without the message "the operation failed" popping up. Any suggestions on how to clear this would be appreciated. The coworker has cleared this on his outlook as well and our IT guy has not been able to do anything with it either. In fact, nobody in the office has any idea why my system is unique this way. I've never had issues with any other tas...

Saving default tabs

Exchange 2003, Sender ID and MSGFILTER.DLL
We are in the process of enabling Sender ID on our Exchange 2003 SP2 system. During testing we ran into an issue with Sender ID, SPF records and subnet masks mentioned here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910272 I have applied this Hotfix and it appears to have resolved this issue. I have since discovered there are numerous other Hotfixes that update MSGFILTER.DLL and the most recent that I can find is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951639 This updates MSGFILTER.DLL to 6.5.7653.37 Is it safe to assume that this updated DLL contains the changes in the previous updates? ...

Save to unProtect a Document?

Save csv format to dbf format