Requery combo box problem (error 2118)

This is a question about an Access 2000 database.

I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.

I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
item available in the combo box now.

This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
I get the error:

2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
action

To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
primary fields are null.

Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

-1
gd
8/15/2007 5:56:15 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197526/en-us
Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box

http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event

HTH,

"gd" <gdoe87@gmail.com> wrote in message
> This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>
> I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
> work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
> problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>
> I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
> draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
> the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
> would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
> from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
> change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
> item available in the combo box now.
>
> This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
> Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
> occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
> the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
> the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
> I get the error:
>
> 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
> action
>
> To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
> event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
> combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
> primary fields are null.
>
> Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

0
George
8/15/2007 6:12:25 PM
On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
wrote:
> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>
> http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>
> HTH,
>
> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>
> > I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
> > work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
> > problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>
> > I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
> > draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
> > the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
> > would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
> > from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
> > change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
> > item available in the combo box now.
>
> > This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
> > Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
> > occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
> > the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
> > the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
> > I get the error:
>
> > 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
> > action
>
> > To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
> > event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
> > combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
> > primary fields are null.
>
> > Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> > pros and cons.  Any suggestions?

Hey George, thanks for the reply.

Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
if I used a method like that.

0
gd
8/15/2007 7:11:32 PM
Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the "open
recordset, add record" portions of those routines.

>>Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
>> pros and cons. Any suggestions?

My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event was
intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
(regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new item
becomes a legal selection.

Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
handled by acDataErrAdded:

(from the VBA Help file)
"acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure. After
the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo box
list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo box
is bound to."

This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must save
the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.

> On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> wrote:
>> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>>
>> http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
>> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > This is a question about an Access 2000 database.
>>
>> > I'm going to ask the question in the way that I'm trying to get it to
>> > work, but if there seems like there is a better design to avoid the
>> > problem altogether that I haven't thought of, please mention it.
>>
>> > I have a form (lets say Form1) with a field that uses a combo box that
>> > draws its data from table tblMachines.  If the user searches through
>> > the combo box for a particular choice and doesn't find it, the user
>> > would then open up another form (Form2), which directly shows data
>> > from table tblMachines.  There, the user can add a new record (or
>> > change an existing one), save it, and close Form2 and have the new
>> > item available in the combo box now.
>>
>> > This works fine for what I have right now, with just a
>> > Form1.Combobox.Requery on the Form2's AfterUpdate event.  The problem
>> > occurs when a user starts to edit the combobox field, then figures out
>> > the option that the user wants is not there, and so proceeds through
>> > the steps to change it.  In this scenario, after the AfterUpdate runs,
>> > I get the error:
>>
>> > 2118: You must save the current field before you run the 'Requery'
>> > action
>>
>> > To solve this problem I have Form1 save before the Form2's AfterUpdate
>> > event.  However this caused more problems, since the field the
>> > combobox was for was a primary field, and gives error messages that
>> > primary fields are null.
>>
>> > Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
>> > pros and cons.  Any suggestions?
>
> Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>
> Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
> the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
> added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
> upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
> if I used a method like that.

0
George
8/15/2007 7:48:15 PM
On Aug 15, 3:48 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
wrote:
> Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the "open
> recordset, add record" portions of those routines.
>
> >>Seems like I'm stuck in a pickle between choice A and B, both with
> >> pros and cons. Any suggestions?
>
> My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event was
> intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
> data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
> (regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new item
> becomes a legal selection.
>
> Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
> handled by acDataErrAdded:
>
> (from the VBA Help file)
> "acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
> add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure. After
> the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
> combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo box
> list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo box
> is bound to."
>
> This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must save
> the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.
>
> HTH,
>
> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Aug 15, 2:12 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> > wrote:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197526/en-us
> >> Use NotInList Event to Add a Record to Combo Box
>
> >>http://mvps.org/access/forms/frm0015.htm
> >> Forms: Add item to combo box using OnNotinList event
>
> >> HTH,
>
> >> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>
> > Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
> > the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
> > added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
> > upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
> > if I used a method like that.

Hey George,

It sounds like a good alternative but heres my issue with that.  The
choices in the combo box the user selects from are just one field (the
primary key) of another record.  I don't want the user to just add
another record by primary key and leave all the other fields blank,
since there are many other fields and they are very important.  Its
not as simple as a "Status" or something where I could see this method
to be really useful.  I wanted the user to fill out the entire record
if the situation came up where another would need to be added, hence
the reason for wanting Form2 to pop up.

0
gd
8/15/2007 8:25:16 PM
We are both repeating ourselves. You can open your form, I've never
suggested otherwise.

Once again: use the NotInList event to open Form2. The code in the provided
links uses a slightly different method (just adding a single value), but
there is no reason I know of that you can't replace that method with the one
you want to use. The key element is that you should be *using the NotInList
event and acDataErrAdded response* if you want to avoid the "You must save
the current field before you run the 'Requery' action".

You'll need to heavily modify the NotInList sample code to your situation,
but the general methodology of how to do what you are trying to do without
raising an error is right there.

> On Aug 15, 3:48 pm, "George Nicholson" <GeorgeNJ...@Junkmsn.com>
> wrote:
>> Substitute your "Open Form, let user add record, etc." method, for the
>> "open
>> recordset, add record" portions of those routines.

>> My (unspoken) point was to not reinvent the wheel. The NotInList event
>> was
>> intended to allow exactly what you are trying to do via other means: put
>> data entry on hold while an addition is made to the combo's source table
>> (regardless of the method used to make that addition), so that the new
>> item
>> becomes a legal selection.
>>
>> Specifically, the Form1 combo requery (which is causing you problems) is
>> handled by acDataErrAdded:
>>
>> (from the VBA Help file)
>> "acDataErrAdded: Doesn't display a message to the user but enables you to
>> add the entry to the combo box list in the NotInList event procedure.
>> After
>> the entry is added, Microsoft Access updates the list by requerying the
>> combo box. Microsoft Access then rechecks the string against the combo
>> box
>> list, and saves the value in the NewData argument in the field the combo
>> box
>> is bound to."
>>
>> This is the built-in method that allows you to side-step the "You must
>> save
>> the current field before you run the 'Requery' action" error.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> "gd" <gdo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hey George, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> > Both of those methods involve just adding whatever the user types into
>> > the combo box.  I'd rather not have that, and I'd prefer if the user
>> > added the record through the other form.  My whole database is built
>> > upon that kind of system and I'd have to make a lot of changes I think
>> > if I used a method like that.
>
> Hey George,
>
> It sounds like a good alternative but heres my issue with that.  The
> choices in the combo box the user selects from are just one field (the
> primary key) of another record.  I don't want the user to just add
> another record by primary key and leave all the other fields blank,
> since there are many other fields and they are very important.  Its
> not as simple as a "Status" or something where I could see this method
> to be really useful.  I wanted the user to fill out the entire record
> if the situation came up where another would need to be added, hence
> the reason for wanting Form2 to pop up.

0
George

More than one field bound to combo
I have a combo which fills in an applicant's name (from tblPerson) in a table (tblProject) but I also want to fill in the applicant's ID in the same table. I need both fields in order to record the applicant's name at the time of application but also to maintain the link to the person via the ID to cover circumstances where the name in tblPerson may in the change in the future. Can anyone suggest how I can do this. Chris chris wrote: > I have a combo which fills in an applicant's name (from tblPerson) in > a table (tblProject) but I also want to fill in the applicant...

Pass Returned Query Value to Report Text Box
Good Afternoon, as simple as my question may sound I am having a bit of difficulty passing the results from multiple queries to multiple texts boxes on the same report. I most certainly would like to learn how to achieve this functionality through proper coding! And of course I would love to hear whatever you may think is best! Thank you for your time and consideration! -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200711/1 A report is generally based on ONE query. Sure, you can make a report that includes many sub-reports, each sub-re...

Combo Box Requery
I'm having a hard time with my replies posting so I am going to submit a new question. I apologize it's a repeat. I made the change to the row source for the combo box and will see the correct data the first time I click the dropdown. I would expect this because I haven't done the second and third part yet. Since I posted I've had to add the subform to a Control Tab and I'm having a hard time with the following: Me.subformcontrol.Form.thecombobox.Requery. I have a main form called frmVendors, a Combo Box on it called cboVendorSearch, a Tab Control ca...

excel vba
i have set it up so that when they click a command button i automatically saves the invoice sheet into my documents with the K cell contents as the file name. However, i would like to have it set u so that one they close, the next time they open the sheet to do anothe invoice it will be 1 number higher than the last saved invoice number The reply posted before took care of most of that, but now it seem that when i click the command button to auto save it to my docs an close the sheet, when i open a new sheet it comes up as the sam number. Should there be some sort of loop code in there? code:...

Print Preview Problem
I have posted an excel spreadsheet that colleagues access through Internet Explorer. When the spreadsheet is accessed the print preview command is no longer on the menu, BUT print preview is available in Excel and Internet Explorer normally. Help!! Thank you in advance for any advice! Stewart MOS Excel Expert (not expert enough!) Have you tried right clicking on the menu bar to see if print preview button became inactive for what ever reason? >-----Original Message----- >I have posted an excel spreadsheet that colleagues access >through Internet Explorer. When the spre...

Requery Question????
I have a form that changes with a parameter that is entered through a combo box. The syntax of the parameter follows: Forms!frmWhatState![cboStateCode] This parameter is entered in underlying crosstab queries that supply my main form named frmStateCriteria. In an effort to try to broaden the amount of information supplied by this form, I have added tab controls and subforms to the main form and the form now displays monthly/quarterly totals filtered by the State Code. My form displays the correct result set and totals by state as requested. The problem occurs when I change the Stat...

3 combo boxes
Ok here is my dilemna. i have a form with 3 combo boxes. The first is a combo box with a name which would populate a list, under this the second combo box would be poulated with a name from another column, but has multiple listing, for example, under John, would be six address, I would then like to choose an address from there, and then populate the 3rd combo box with a listing of items at that address, how can this be done? I am very stuck. Where is all of this information coming from? If it's all stored in tables, then in the AfterUpdate event of the first combo box you would set the...

Problems While Installing Java
Hello: I have been trying to download and install java on my computer. After I install the program I get a message stating Java has been installed sucessfullly. I restart my computer. When I go to open the Java icon on desktop It is prompting to reinstall Java all over agian. I have gone to add and remove programs and successfully remove the program from there. But going back to desk top the Java icon is still there and after opening it it continues to start the installation process again. I have gone through these steps several times and have tried Revo uninstallatio...

Macro Problem
I'm created a simple macro to enter the current date and time =NOW(). That works with the macro...however, I can't get it to stop moving over to the next column and returning to the top of that column. I've tried recording =NOW() ENTER; =NOW() TAB; =NOW() RIGHT ARROW. all seem determined to move to the next column top. What am I missing? hi we are not going to know until you post your code that is doing it. regards FSt1 "DiscipleTom" wrote: > I'm created a simple macro to enter the current date and time =NOW(). That > works with the macr...

Refresh, requery, or what?
I have a form with a subform. The data source for the subform is a table. On the main form is a command button which, when clicked, opens a pop up form. When the pop up form is filled in and closed, I want the information in the subform to be updated to include the information added in the pop up form without having to close and reopen the main form. Can someone clarify for me the VBA code to do this. I'm obviously not understanding the differences between Repaint, Requery, Refresh, ShowAll, etc. Also, I have difficulty with syntax when referring to controls in subforms. Can someon...

Message box on macro
Hi I am running a macro on windows scheduler. The macro just remind a specific manager (how keeps forgeting) to run a report. I don't want to automate the running of the report as there are times when it should not run. I can run a macro from schedular but (as I don't use macros hardly ever) not really sure how to get the message box to run from the macro. I can get a little popup box just saying ...text.... yes. But the message box it just a little more than this msg = "Message from Wayne." & strID & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Do you want to...

Combo box problem
....looking for aswer by Frank Kabel earlier today, for some reason I can't find it anymore.. subject was "Combo box problem" and Frank was able to provide answer, but unfortunately I can't find it anymore... help send it to you via PM -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ..... wrote: > ...looking for aswer by Frank Kabel earlier today, for some reason I > can't find it anymore.. > > subject was "Combo box problem" and Frank was able to provide answer, > but unfortunately I can't find it anymore... > > help ...

maintenance plan error
I have a maintenance plan that runs every night for a SQL2005 installation. I'm getting an error in it for the Maintenance Cleanup Task: Executing the query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_delete_file 0,N'',N'',N'2009-11-05T00:04:23' " failed with the following error: "Error executing extended stored procedure: Invalid Parameter". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly. Can somebody explain what this err...

Multiple selections from a combo box?
Is there a way to use a combo box to get multiple selections? In other environments that I know about, the user would click on several items, using the control key - I guess Windows Explorer is an example. If not a combo box, how does one accomplish this design task? Use a listbox, with its Multiselect property set to Simple or Extended, to do this. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Laurel" <FakeMail@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSd9jDHLIHA.4688@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to use a combo box to get multiple selections? In other &...

How to change dialog box background color in .NET MFC?
I can find MS document ID 98201 for How to change dialog box background color in MFC 2.0 or later. I am using .NET 2005 MFC. How do I change window backgroud color for dialog based MFC? Thank you awu10 On 17 May 2006 13:43:03 -0700, awu wrote: > I can find MS document ID 98201 for How to change dialog box background > color in MFC 2.0 or later. > > I am using .NET 2005 MFC. How do I change window backgroud color for > dialog based MFC? > > Thank you > awu10 http://msdn2.microsoft.com/ko-kr/library/6skhh669.aspx ...

keep getting "errors message" on sending emails
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'dbwell 1@charter.net'. Subject 'You have been sent 77 photo(s)', Account: 'POP.charter.net', Server: 'smtp.charter.net', Protocol: SM...

Error 1606. could not access %appdata%\
Have Window 7. Purchased Microsoft Office 2007 (HUP Program)....but can't install it. I keep getting this error code: Error 1606. could not access %appdata%\ What do I do ???? ...

error (45)
Hi - I moved my single user GP 9.0 from one hard drive to another by restoring a backup. Now all of my master records give me the following error: A save operation on table 'GL_Account_MSTR' (45). or 'PM_Vendor_MSTR' or 'RM_Customer_MSTR' depending on the module. I made sure the Dex_Row_ID was an identity field. I've run checklinks on all files. I've applied the next higher service pack (9.0 sp3), but still receive the errors. Any idea what is wrong with this? Thanks Ginny Yes, some of the tables in the Dynamics DB and the master tables refer to t...

Error after saving new info OTLK 2002
I get an error message everytime I get out of Outlook 2002 after entering or changing info in either calendar or contacts ...

box and whisker
How do you create a box and whisker plot in Excel 2003? Jon Peltier has instructions for creating Box and Whisker plots: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html#BoxWhisker Brandi wrote: > How do you create a box and whisker plot in Excel 2003? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

value in combo box
Hi all, I have to check if the project no is not in the combo list and if it is not than the system should pop a msg telling project no not found do you want to add and than add the data in the list. if it is a small combo box than one can see the values but if it is an extended list it is good to have a confirmation msg. I used 2 events - after update to check for values and not in list to update the combo. Here is my problem the msg box is not firing as intended and can i program in the not inlist event to check for both. I used allenbrow's code as follows Private Sub cmbpno_A...

Error Encountered when importing customizations after upgrade to CRM4.0
Hi people! I have just done an upgrade for a client from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0. Following that, i tried imported my customizations into the upgraded system. However i encountered the error message: "Failure: contact-invoice: This attribute map is invalid. A valid attribute map must meet these requirements&#58;&#13;&#10;-&#9;The data type must match.&#13;&#10;-&#9;The length of the target attribute cannot be shorter than the source attribute.&#13;&#10;-&#9;The format should match.&#13;&#10;-&#9;The target attribute must not b...

Update To Bank Problem
We recently upgraded to Money Plus 2008 and for some reason when I click on "Connect To Bank" and "Update" it does not download from my bank. We have gone through every menu item trying to see what we may have missed and can't figure it out. Please help if you can. Thanks In microsoft.public.money, Margo wrote: >We recently upgraded to Money Plus 2008 and for some reason when I click on >"Connect To Bank" and "Update" it does not download from my bank. We have >gone through every menu item trying to see what we may have missed and...

Complie Error
Hi: When I open Excel 2003 I get a Microsoft Vusual Basic error message: "Compile Error in hidden module:AutoExecNew". My excel program runs fine after I close that message. But when I try to close Excel, I get a different message: ""Compile Error in hidden module: DistMon" I could not find any help on Micorsoft's Knowledgebase. Could any please help solving this problem? Thanks Mohan Hi have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307410 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mohan wrote: > Hi: > > When I open Ex...

How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box?
How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? and How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top of the list is visible. Bart Excell 2003 Is your combobox in a userform or on a worksheet? AA Arens wrote: > How to set the amount of values visible when open a combo box? > and > How to have a default value highlighted when opened as always the top > of the list is visible. > > Bart > Excell 2003 On a worksheet. With data from another sheet. The combo is set via Menu > Data > Validation > List. Bart jkend69315@aol.com w...