remove from drowdown when selected

I have a form with a sub form.  Main form link to sub is based on the
project number id.

The sub form has a dropdown of project risks.
The user adds as many risks to the sub form as applies to the project.

When the user chooses a risk from the drop down, I do not want it to no
longer show in the list.

When a different project is chosen in the main form, the sub form shows the
risk that were selected pertaining to that project, and the dropdown only
displays the risks that have not been chosen for that project.

When a new project is entered, all risks are in the dropdown.

By showing only the risks not previously chosen it will eliminate the chance
of duplicate selections and clearly show the options that are remaining as
not selected in the dropdown list.

Thanks...
--
deb
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

It sounds like your "dropdown" needs to have a RowSource that includes a NOT
IN clause.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/26/2007 6:40:49 PM
Hi Deb,
How about posting the SQL for the RowSource of your ComboBox ("dropdown") and
the SQL for the RecordSource of your SubForm.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/26/2007 7:26:11 PM
<repeat>Hi Deb,
How about posting the SQL for the RowSource of your ComboBox ("dropdown") and
the SQL for the RecordSource of your SubForm.</repeat>

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 12:29:27 AM
Sorry Deb but I'm a bit confused.  In the 1st post you have:
"The sub form has a dropdown of project risks."
and not you are referring to the control as a ListBox. What is it really?  :D
Are you really adding Risk Factor records to a table named "Customers"?

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 1:00:48 AM
Deb,
Here's a simple example of using a NOT IN clause:
SELECT OptionID, Option
FROM tbl_Reference_Option
WHERE OptionID NOT IN (SELECT OptionID FROM qry_LookUp_SelectedOptions;)
The idea in this case is that you do not want any Options returned if they
are alread in the qry_LookUp_SelectedOptions query.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 1:19:59 AM
As I've been trying to explain (poorly I admit), all you need to do is use a
NOT In clause in the RowSource of the List box and requery the ListBox when
you add somthing to the table referenced by the NOT IN clause.  The row will
just vanish from your ListBox as if by magic.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 1:29:49 AM
I'm sorry Deb but I don't see anything in the Northwind example that event
comes close to what I think you are looking form.  Are you really adding Risk

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 2:06:10 AM
I was at home and did not have my database in front of me so I was trying to
work it out using Northwind.

Now I Have mine...

Main form is fRisk and subform is fIssue.  The fIssue sub-form is a
Continuous form
The dropdown is in the subform and is called IssueDescID.  Rowsource for
dropdown is ...
SELECT t013IssueDesc.IssueDescID, t013IssueDesc.IssueDesc FROM t013IssueDesc;

Subform recordsource is tIssue
Fields are
IssueID
RiskId
IssueDescID
Note

Each risk can have many Issues, however I do not want duplicate issues per
risk.
This is why I want the issue to disappear from the dropdown option upon
choosing.

Please help,  I really need this to work!!

--
deb

"ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I'm sorry Deb but I don't see anything in the Northwind example that event
> comes close to what I think you are looking form.  Are you really adding Risk
> Factor records to a table named "Customers"?
>

> deb wrote:
> >I am so sorry, I am just not getting it to work.
> >
> >Can you use your example in the Northwind db so I can follow along and
> >actually use the same tables and fields that you would use.
> >
> >Your choice of tables and forms.
> >
> >I am fairly new to access and I need this very badly.
> >
> >Thank you again for all of your help.
> >
> >> Deb,
> >> Here's a simple example of using a NOT IN clause:
> >[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

> --
> HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
> Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

Hi Deb,
Let's try replacing the RowSource of the IssueDescID with:

SELECT IssueDescID, IssueDesc
FROM t013IssueDesc
WHERE IssueDescID NOT IN
(SELECT IssueDescID FROM Forms!fRisk!fIssue.FORM.RecordfSource;)

I have never tried this but I believe it should work.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 9:42:07 PM
I want to thank you for stick with me on this.  It is very important to me to
have this function!!

I am now getting syntax error on the last part...(SELECT IssueDescID FROM
Forms!fRisk!fIssue.FORM.RecordfSource;)

SELECT IssueDescID, IssueDesc
FROM t013IssueDesc
WHERE IssueDescID NOT IN
(SELECT IssueDescID FROM Forms!fRisk!fIssue.FORM.RecordfSource;)

I also tried after removing the f in RecordSource.
--
deb

"ruralguy via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> Hi Deb,
> Let's try replacing the RowSource of the IssueDescID with:
>
> SELECT IssueDescID, IssueDesc
> FROM t013IssueDesc
> WHERE IssueDescID NOT IN
> (SELECT IssueDescID FROM Forms!fRisk!fIssue.FORM.RecordfSource;)
>
> I have never tried this but I believe it should work.
>

> deb wrote:
> >I was at home and did not have my database in front of me so I was trying to
> >work it out using Northwind.
> >
> >Now I Have mine...
> >
> >Main form is fRisk and subform is fIssue.  The fIssue sub-form is a
> >Continuous form
> >The dropdown is in the subform and is called IssueDescID.  Rowsource for
> >dropdown is ...
> >SELECT t013IssueDesc.IssueDescID, t013IssueDesc.IssueDesc FROM t013IssueDesc;
> >
> >Subform recordsource is tIssue
> >Fields are
> >IssueID
> >RiskId
> >IssueDescID
> >Note
> >
> >Each risk can have many Issues, however I do not want duplicate issues per
> >risk.
> >This is why I want the issue to disappear from the dropdown option upon
> >choosing.
> >
> >Please help,  I really need this to work!!
> >
> >> I'm sorry Deb but I don't see anything in the Northwind example that event
> >> comes close to what I think you are looking form.  Are you really adding Risk
> >[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

> --
> HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
> Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:42:07 GMT, "ruralguy via AccessMonster.com"
<u12102@uwe> wrote:

>Hi Deb,
>Let's try replacing the RowSource of the IssueDescID with:
>
>SELECT IssueDescID, IssueDesc
>FROM t013IssueDesc
>WHERE IssueDescID NOT IN
>(SELECT IssueDescID FROM Forms!fRisk!fIssue.FORM.RecordfSource;)
>
>I have never tried this but I believe it should work.

Ruralguy, that's close - but you can only SELECT FROM a Table or Query, not
from a Form's recordsource (which is a string).

Try

SELECT t013IssueDesc.IssueDescID, t013IssueDesc.IssueDesc FROM t013IssueDesc
WHERE IssueDeskID NOT IN
(SELECT IssueDescID FROM tIssue WHERE tIssue.RiskID = Forms!fRisk!RiskID);

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
8/27/2007 10:32:26 PM
Thanks for jumping in John.  Give it a go Deb.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 10:58:21 PM
Do you have your ColumnWidths set to 0.0";1.5"?? ...which should hide the 1st
column.

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 11:30:33 PM
Not weird. It is because of the .2 in the 1st column.  Why not 0"?

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/27/2007 11:56:33 PM
That IS weird!  You still have the ColumnCount set at 2 correct? What version
of Access are you using?  I wonder if you now have some corruption.  Do a
Compact and Repair and then import everything into a new empty mdb and see if
you still have the same issue. If you do, the how about zipping up the db and
email it to me at Rural Guy at Wild Blue dot Net?

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy
8/28/2007 1:15:18 AM
Deb sent me the db and now we know why it is strongly recommended that LookUp
Fields in tables *not* be used.

Deb, here's a link to read:
The Evils of Lookup Fields in Tables
http://www.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

All they do is confuse the programmer!!!

--
HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro
Please post back to this forum so all may benefit.

ruralguy

Remove Excel Icon ??

selecting accounts for Annual Budget Report
The annual budget report doesn't seem to have the options that other reports do to select certain accounts and transaction types to exclude from the report. As a result the net of income v. expenses in this report is different than what I think it should be. Any recommendations? "Mike" <mmcdaniel1960@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1173221450.116950.135110@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > The annual budget report doesn't seem to have the options that other > reports do to select certain accounts and transaction types to exclude > from the report. As a...

Removal

Remove lines with +++

How to Remove SRS

Removing an item from menu

Help on how to select one formula from a list of formulae
Tricky question, not sure if it's possible withou the use of a macro. What I want to do is have a list of formula in a table, eg numbered 1 - 10. I then want a cell to be able to take one of these formulae, and apply it to figures local to it. I want to be able to alternate which formula is looked up dynamically. Vlookup doesnt work as the formula are imported exactly as-is. I cant get indirect working with this as it imports 'text' only. Anybody have any other ideas how to do this. Cheers for any help Not sure if I understand you correctly but it seems like something that the...

remove Fax from address book?

Need to remove selected characters

How to select other random cells
I have a 2 part question. I want to have a 1 question survey randomly filled out by 200 people. Column A lists the 1 questions. Columun b has ABCDE listed in cells B6 to b10. I would like 200 samples in columns c, d, e, etc. How do I set this up so that they randomly Coose B6 to B 10. Second part. On another spreadsheet, I have a similar situation, but the user has 10 answers to select from and I want them to randomly select all that apply. How would I do this? Thanks! ...

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Removing password protection on a sheet

Adding and removing removable drives

Select and Copy data in column.
Anyone know of a way I can do the following. I have a column (B) on my spreadsheet with a given persons name in every other cell. eg. Col A Col B Col C xxxx Smith xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx Jones xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx Smith xxxx xxxx xxxx The row immediately underneath the name also contains data pertaining to the named person in the row above i.e in my example above row number 2 also pertains to the person Smith, row number 4 also pertains to the person Jones, etc, etc. I am trying to copy the persons name into the cell direc...

create a thin border around the selected cells
need information on excel 2003 Hi Chandra, on the Menu bar choose FORMAT | CELL | BORD hth regards from Brazil Marcelo "Chandra Lee" escreveu: > need information on excel 2003 ...

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...

Removing Synchronised Contacts
We've a number of client pcs that have been installed with the Outlook Client pointing to a user acceptance test (UAT) system. The Outlook client has synchronized CRM contacts into their Outlook Contacts folder. How can we remove the UAT contacts? I tried to do a Find in Outlook to find the CRM specific contacts, but you don't seem to be able to find the CRM user defined fields? Strange. Any thoughts? You can see the custom CRM fields on an contact view. Choose a contact view that lists the records in a table form, such as 'Phone List'. Then, choose to customize ...

Remove & Reinstall Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP Professional on my new computer. Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook 2003? Thanks. J J Kendel <jkendel2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP > Professional on my new computer. Really? 2003? Office XP typically includes Outlook 2002. >Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook >2003? Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Find Office and click "Change". Remove the Outlook part. Reboot. Go back to that point and add it back in again. -...

Removing BINS
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0072_01CA379C.F0CAF860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some thousand of BINS; creating so many problems while doing the = cycle counts because they have zero Qty. on Hand and Zero Beginning = Qty.. when I do the scheduling, I get hundreds of page of report with = zero on hand data. Now as per KB 874145, if there is ZERO on-hand and there is no un-posted = TRX and these bins are not assigned default BINS, these can be deleted. = Guess. No I have use...

Select Case
Hi I have a text box on a form so user can write a password I also have a button here what I want If the user put "123" and click the button, form "Employees" open if the user put "abc" and click the button, form "Customers" open if the user put "xxx" anc click the button, form "Products" open I know I should use the select case method, but I don't know how to do it, how to create the code, how to start Should I create a statement and then on the "click" event of the button put someting like "call the statemen...