Remote Database and Office Database

Hello,

   My boss would like to have several of his field employees (9) have an
Access application
   on there laptop/netbook device so when they visit customers, they can
input data
   into the database. They will not have access to the internet or any type
of
   Remote connection. This will be a stand-alone Access application on their
laptop. ( Field person will meet with 10 customer a day.)

   My two questions have to do with when the field employees come back into
the office.
   What will be the best way to a) get data from their version of the
database on their
   laptop into the Office database?
                    a) Should I user Replication Manager
                        or
                    b) would it be easier in the long run to write (vba)
code to move the data between the
                        laptop database and the Office database? If this is
the route to take, how
                        would I connect (using vba code) from the Field
version of the database
                        to the Office version?
                        or
                    c) export the appropriate data to a separate file?

  For some reason, I'm thinking if I can steer clear of the Replication
Manager, I'll have fewer headaches. Is this true?

And my second question would have to do with any changes that I would need
to make to the data structure. How do I update the Field databases? Again,
would it be better to write the vba code to modify the data sturctures
instead of using Replication Manager?

   I envision very few changes to the database sturcture. But I can see
forms, reports, queries... being added or updated.

  Thank you,
  Timothy

0
Thomas
5/26/2010 6:41:47 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Is this the right forum to post this message?

"Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
>   My boss would like to have several of his field employees (9) have an
> Access application
>   on there laptop/netbook device so when they visit customers, they can
> input data
>   into the database. They will not have access to the internet or any type
> of
>   Remote connection. This will be a stand-alone Access application on
> their laptop. ( Field person will meet with 10 customer a day.)
>
>   My two questions have to do with when the field employees come back into
> the office.
>   What will be the best way to a) get data from their version of the
> database on their
>   laptop into the Office database?
>                    a) Should I user Replication Manager
>                        or
>                    b) would it be easier in the long run to write (vba)
> code to move the data between the
>                        laptop database and the Office database? If this is
> the route to take, how
>                        would I connect (using vba code) from the Field
> version of the database
>                        to the Office version?
>                        or
>                    c) export the appropriate data to a separate file?
>
>  For some reason, I'm thinking if I can steer clear of the Replication
> Manager, I'll have fewer headaches. Is this true?
>
> And my second question would have to do with any changes that I would need
> to make to the data structure. How do I update the Field databases? Again,
> would it be better to write the vba code to modify the data sturctures
> instead of using Replication Manager?
>
>   I envision very few changes to the database sturcture. But I can see
> forms, reports, queries... being added or updated.
>
>  Thank you,
>  Timothy

0
Thomas
5/26/2010 11:28:25 PM
Thomas Kroljic wrote:
>Is this the right forum to post this message?
>
>> Hello,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]
>>  Thank you,
>>  Timothy

David Fenton must be busy... dig around for his website.  He'll know.

PieterLinden
5/27/2010 12:06:45 AM
On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:41:47 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>   My boss would like to have several of his field employees (9) have an
>Access application
>   on there laptop/netbook device so when they visit customers, they can
>input data
>   into the database. They will not have access to the internet or any type
>of
>   Remote connection. This will be a stand-alone Access application on their
>laptop. ( Field person will meet with 10 customer a day.)
>
>   My two questions have to do with when the field employees come back into
>the office.
>   What will be the best way to a) get data from their version of the
>database on their
>   laptop into the Office database?
>                    a) Should I user Replication Manager
>                        or
>                    b) would it be easier in the long run to write (vba)
>code to move the data between the
>                        laptop database and the Office database? If this is
>the route to take, how
>                        would I connect (using vba code) from the Field
>version of the database
>                        to the Office version?
>                        or
>                    c) export the appropriate data to a separate file?
>
>  For some reason, I'm thinking if I can steer clear of the Replication
>Manager, I'll have fewer headaches. Is this true?
>
>And my second question would have to do with any changes that I would need
>to make to the data structure. How do I update the Field databases? Again,
>would it be better to write the vba code to modify the data sturctures
>instead of using Replication Manager?

I would VERY strongly urge that you a) split the database into a frontend and
backend (backend containing only tables), and give each employee their own
copy of the frontend; and b) use the Replication Manager to replicate the
backend (NOT the frontend!!!), and give each remote employee a member of the
replica set of the backend. The replica master must remain on the central
office server (and should not be used by anyone except the administrator).
Central office users would share a common backend, itself a member of the
replica set; when remote users come in they can connect to the network and
synchronize their replicas with this "sub-master" (and thereby with the
master).

David Fenton is one of the current gurus on replication, try a
http://groups.google.com advanced search of these groups using "replication"
and "fenton" as search terms.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

   Thanks for the tip. Is Replication stable? The last time attemtpted to
use it was 8 years ago. At that time it seem like a pain-in-the-butt...in
the end, we ended up using Terminal Services. Unfortunately, I don't have
that option at the moment.
   I'll check on David Fenton in the group you listed below.

Thank you.

> On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:41:47 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>   My boss would like to have several of his field employees (9) have an
>>Access application
>>   on there laptop/netbook device so when they visit customers, they can
>>input data
>>   into the database. They will not have access to the internet or any
>> type
>>of
>>   Remote connection. This will be a stand-alone Access application on
>> their
>>laptop. ( Field person will meet with 10 customer a day.)
>>
>>   My two questions have to do with when the field employees come back
>> into
>>the office.
>>   What will be the best way to a) get data from their version of the
>>database on their
>>   laptop into the Office database?
>>                    a) Should I user Replication Manager
>>                        or
>>                    b) would it be easier in the long run to write (vba)
>>code to move the data between the
>>                        laptop database and the Office database? If this
>> is
>>the route to take, how
>>                        would I connect (using vba code) from the Field
>>version of the database
>>                        to the Office version?
>>                        or
>>                    c) export the appropriate data to a separate file?
>>
>>  For some reason, I'm thinking if I can steer clear of the Replication
>>Manager, I'll have fewer headaches. Is this true?
>>
>>And my second question would have to do with any changes that I would need
>>to make to the data structure. How do I update the Field databases? Again,
>>would it be better to write the vba code to modify the data sturctures
>>instead of using Replication Manager?
>
> I would VERY strongly urge that you a) split the database into a frontend
> and
> backend (backend containing only tables), and give each employee their own
> copy of the frontend; and b) use the Replication Manager to replicate the
> backend (NOT the frontend!!!), and give each remote employee a member of
> the
> replica set of the backend. The replica master must remain on the central
> office server (and should not be used by anyone except the administrator).
> Central office users would share a common backend, itself a member of the
> replica set; when remote users come in they can connect to the network and
> synchronize their replicas with this "sub-master" (and thereby with the
> master).
>
> David Fenton is one of the current gurus on replication, try a
> http://groups.google.com advanced search of these groups using
> "replication"
> and "fenton" as search terms.
>
> --
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Thomas
5/27/2010 12:39:46 PM
On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:39:46 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
wrote:

>John and Pieter,
>
>   Thanks for the tip. Is Replication stable? The last time attemtpted to
>use it was 8 years ago. At that time it seem like a pain-in-the-butt...in
>the end, we ended up using Terminal Services. Unfortunately, I don't have
>that option at the moment.
>   I'll check on David Fenton in the group you listed below.

It's stable, it does the job, it's a pain in the butt, and it's complicated to
set it up correctly.  I've used it with two clients and they both ended up
using Citrix (terminal services basically).

It is possible to "roll your own" replication as you suggest, but it's a VERY
complicated and difficult process; you wouldn't be reinventing the wheel, more
like reinventing an automatic transmission!
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

> Is this the right forum to post this message?

How is this inappropriate?

David
5/27/2010 5:17:06 PM
"Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net> wrote in

> And my second question would have to do with any changes that I
> would need to make to the data structure. How do I update the
> Field databases? Again, would it be better to write the vba code
> to modify the data sturctures instead of using Replication
> Manager?
>
>    I envision very few changes to the database sturcture. But I
>    can see
> forms, reports, queries... being added or updated.

Why you mention Replication Manager, I don't know. It's an
out-of-date tool that doesn't provide much in the way of
functionality that you can't get via other metods.

See the Jet Replication Wiki for somewhat comprehensive info:

  http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

Now, to some issues:

1. as others have said, your app needs to be split, front end
(forms/reports, etc.) and back end (data tables). Only the back end
should be replicated, as:

  a. replication is not needed to push out changes to a front end.

  b. replication doesn't work reliably with anything but pure Jet
  objects (tables/queries).

Your app should be split in this form even if you're *not* using
replication.

2. if the users are always connected to the Internet when away from
the central office, you'd be much better off avoiding replication
entirely and using Windows Terminal Server as your remote host for
the app.

3. if your users need to work outside the office disconnected from
the Internet, then using a local replica is a great way to manage
that. If you limit synchs to when they are back in the office
connected to the wired LAN, then it's very easy to implement with
plain old direct replication. If they want to synch in the field
(with an occasional Internet connection) or they need to synch
across a WiFi or WAN connection, then you would have to use indirect
replication which is an order of magnitude or more harder to
implement and much more difficult to keep running reliably (because
there are so many more "moving parts"). If you need remote synchs,
then I'd recommend upgrading to Access 2010 and using Sharepoint
2010 instead. That allows both offline editing and easy synching
when connected.

Basically, even though I'm one of the few people who has a lot of
knowledge of Jet replication, I recommend against using it except in
a very narrow range of circumstances. A2010 and Sharepoint 2010
remove the last of those except for those who can't afford the
dependency on a Sharepoint server.

David
5/27/2010 5:24:50 PM
John,
  <<and it's complicated to set it up correctly.>>
Even as an experience programmer, I still think it a complicated setup for
basically transferring data from one database to another.
  Unfortunatetly, we will not have access to any internet connections while
in the field. So, all field data (computers) will return to the office by
the end of the day.

> On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:39:46 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
> wrote:
>
>>John and Pieter,
>>
>>   Thanks for the tip. Is Replication stable? The last time attemtpted to
>>use it was 8 years ago. At that time it seem like a pain-in-the-butt...in
>>the end, we ended up using Terminal Services. Unfortunately, I don't have
>>that option at the moment.
>>   I'll check on David Fenton in the group you listed below.
>
> It's stable, it does the job, it's a pain in the butt, and it's
> complicated to
> set it up correctly.  I've used it with two clients and they both ended up
> using Citrix (terminal services basically).
>
> It is possible to "roll your own" replication as you suggest, but it's a
> VERY
> complicated and difficult process; you wouldn't be reinventing the wheel,
> more
> like reinventing an automatic transmission!
> --
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Thomas
5/28/2010 12:04:33 AM
David,
  Not sure that I fully understand what you are trying to tell me. Can you
either list or point me in the direction for "other methods"? The laptop
that goes out to the field will not have the ability to connect back to the
office via the internet. The Field computer will return back to the office
at the end of the day. If replication Manager isn't the way to go, then what
would you suggest I use when the laptop comes back to the office? Do I
create VBA code that does the exchange of data from the Field laptop
database to the main Office database (both will be Access 2010) or do you
have something else in mind.

As for splitting the database, I always do this when more than one person
wants access to the application. I'm very familiar with this setup.

Terminal Service, now called Remote Desktop by MS, would be great but they
will not have access to an internet connect while in the field.

<<If you limit synchs to when they are back in the office connected to the
wired LAN, then it's very easy to implement with plain old direct
replication.>>

if I decide to use this replication process when they come back to the
office, are you saying that it is easy to not only implement but maintain?
Do I need to have a tech person available every time a field laptop comes
into the office and attempts to sync? Once the process is setup and tested,
is it pretty user friendly?

I'm very comfortable with VBA coding, if coding a good procedure to move
data from one database to another is the way the go, then I would rather
take that approach. What do you recommend?

Thank you,

"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net> wrote in
>
>> And my second question would have to do with any changes that I
>> would need to make to the data structure. How do I update the
>> Field databases? Again, would it be better to write the vba code
>> to modify the data sturctures instead of using Replication
>> Manager?
>>
>>    I envision very few changes to the database sturcture. But I
>>    can see
>> forms, reports, queries... being added or updated.
>
> Why you mention Replication Manager, I don't know. It's an
> out-of-date tool that doesn't provide much in the way of
> functionality that you can't get via other metods.
>
> See the Jet Replication Wiki for somewhat comprehensive info:
>
>  http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/
>
> Now, to some issues:
>
> 1. as others have said, your app needs to be split, front end
> (forms/reports, etc.) and back end (data tables). Only the back end
> should be replicated, as:
>
>  a. replication is not needed to push out changes to a front end.
>
>  b. replication doesn't work reliably with anything but pure Jet
>  objects (tables/queries).
>
> Your app should be split in this form even if you're *not* using
> replication.
>
> 2. if the users are always connected to the Internet when away from
> the central office, you'd be much better off avoiding replication
> entirely and using Windows Terminal Server as your remote host for
> the app.
>
> 3. if your users need to work outside the office disconnected from
> the Internet, then using a local replica is a great way to manage
> that. If you limit synchs to when they are back in the office
> connected to the wired LAN, then it's very easy to implement with
> plain old direct replication. If they want to synch in the field
> (with an occasional Internet connection) or they need to synch
> across a WiFi or WAN connection, then you would have to use indirect
> replication which is an order of magnitude or more harder to
> implement and much more difficult to keep running reliably (because
> there are so many more "moving parts"). If you need remote synchs,
> then I'd recommend upgrading to Access 2010 and using Sharepoint
> 2010 instead. That allows both offline editing and easy synching
> when connected.
>
> Basically, even though I'm one of the few people who has a lot of
> knowledge of Jet replication, I recommend against using it except in
> a very narrow range of circumstances. A2010 and Sharepoint 2010
> remove the last of those except for those who can't afford the
> dependency on a Sharepoint server.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
Thomas
5/28/2010 12:22:01 AM
On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:04:33 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
wrote:

>ohn,
>  <<and it's complicated to set it up correctly.>>
>Even as an experience programmer, I still think it a complicated setup for
>basically transferring data from one database to another.
>  Unfortunatetly, we will not have access to any internet connections while
>in the field. So, all field data (computers) will return to the office by
>the end of the day.

From your response to David, I'd suggest that your requirement is actually a
pretty good fit for replication, and that you should be able to do it easily.
The replication FAQ is pretty good - just follow it carefully. You won't need
to worry about internet replication. Just be sure that you keep the Replica
Master unused and safe, used only when you're synchronizing (it's a REAL pain
if the master gets lost or corrupted... BTDT!)
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

> On Thu, 27 May 2010 20:04:33 -0400, "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net>
> wrote:
>
>>ohn,
>>  <<and it's complicated to set it up correctly.>>
>>Even as an experience programmer, I still think it a complicated setup for
>>basically transferring data from one database to another.
>>  Unfortunatetly, we will not have access to any internet connections
>> while
>>in the field. So, all field data (computers) will return to the office by
>>the end of the day.
>
> From your response to David, I'd suggest that your requirement is actually
> pretty good fit for replication, and that you should be able to do it
> easily.
> The replication FAQ is pretty good - just follow it carefully. You won't
> need
> to worry about internet replication. Just be sure that you keep the
> Replica
> Master unused and safe, used only when you're synchronizing (it's a REAL
> pain
> if the master gets lost or corrupted... BTDT!)
> --
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
Thomas
5/28/2010 2:13:39 PM

>   Not sure that I fully understand what you are trying to tell me.
>   Can you
> either list or point me in the direction for "other methods"? The
> laptop that goes out to the field will not have the ability to
> connect back to the office via the internet. The Field computer
> will return back to the office at the end of the day. If
> replication Manager isn't the way to go, then what would you
> suggest I use when the laptop comes back to the office?

About 5 lines of code behind a command button:

  Dim dbLaptop as DAO.Database

  Set dbLaptop = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("[laptop replica]")
  dbLaptop.Synchronize "[server replica]")
  dbLaptop.Close
  Set dbLaptop = Nothing

There are a lot of things that could be added to that:

1. check to see if the server replica is available (I use the File
System Object because it's more reliable than other methods)

2. you might want to check if there are any conflicts after the
synch and inform the user, or open the conflict resolver.

3. you probably don't want to hard-code the laptop replica filename,
so you can use the Connect property of one of your linked tables,
using Mid(CurrentDB.TableDefs("LinkedTableName").Connect, 11).

> Do I
> create VBA code that does the exchange of data from the Field
> laptop database to the main Office database (both will be Access
> 2010) or do you have something else in mind.

I haven't actually tested replication in A2010 yet. There was, of
course, a show-stopping but in the initial release of A2007 that
caused the DAO synchronize command to fail! But they patched that
with a hotfix very quickly and then included the fix in the first
service pack, so it's worked OK since then. I doubt they'd make the
same mistake in A2010, but it certainly is the case that Jet
replication is not a priority for the Access development team.

> As for splitting the database, I always do this when more than one
> person wants access to the application. I'm very familiar with
> this setup.

With replication, even if it's only one user working on two
different PCs, you must split to avoid corruption of the VBA
project.

> Terminal Service, now called Remote Desktop by MS, would be great
> but they will not have access to an internet connect while in the
> field.

Remote Desktop and Terminal Services are not, strictly speaking, the
same thing. Remote Desktop is built on top of a subset of Terminal
Services, but Terminal Services include a lot more things than just
what RDP is built in top of.

><<If you limit synchs to when they are back in the office connected
>to the
> wired LAN, then it's very easy to implement with plain old direct
> replication.>>
>
> if I decide to use this replication process when they come back to
> the office, are you saying that it is easy to not only implement
> but maintain?

Comparatively speaking yes, i.e., in comparison to implementing and
maintaining a setup with indirect replication over the Internet (via
VPN).

> Do I need to have a tech person available every time a field
> laptop comes into the office and attempts to sync? Once the
> process is setup and tested, is it pretty user friendly?

You will not need anyone for that. Once setup and tested, it should
work transparently. The main issue you will encounter is with
network connectivity, usually involving troubleshooting in the form
of the question "is it plugged in?" ;)

> I'm very comfortable with VBA coding, if coding a good procedure
> to move data from one database to another is the way the go, then
> I would rather take that approach. What do you recommend?

The code above is a starting point. The Replication Wiki has more
detail (you should definitely read the Replication Myths, the FAQ
and Best Practices). For the enhancements I mentioned above, just
ask if you don't know how it's done.

David
5/28/2010 11:36:33 PM

>    thanks for the follow-up. I'll read through the FAQ on
>    replication and
> give it a try in a small test environment.

Be sure to read the Replication Wiki article on things not to
believe in the MS documentation, though.

David
5/28/2010 11:39:48 PM
David,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to explain and give examples
related to my post.
The example you listed below is straightforward and looks pretty simple.
I'll follow up this
post by reading Replication Myths, the FAQ and Best Practices as you
suggested.

    One final question for now, if the Field laptop is only used for
gathering New data and there is no
   reason to upload data from the Office database to the Field database, is
it worth setting up a Replication procedure?

Again, thank you very much for your input.

> [...]
> VPN).
>
>> Do I need to have a tech person available every time a field
>> laptop comes into the office and attempts to sync? Once the
>> process is setup and tested, is it pretty user friendly?
>
> You will not need anyone for that. Once setup and tested, it should
> work transparently. The main issue you will encounter is with
> network connectivity, usually involving troubleshooting in the form
> of the question "is it plugged in?" ;)
>
>> I'm very comfortable with VBA coding, if coding a good procedure
>> to move data from one database to another is the way the go, then
>> I would rather take that approach. What do you recommend?
>
> The code above is a starting point. The Replication Wiki has more
> detail (you should definitely read the Replication Myths, the FAQ
> and Best Practices). For the enhancements I mentioned above, just

5/29/2010 1:55:49 PM

>     One final question for now, if the Field laptop is only used
>     for
> gathering New data and there is no
>    reason to upload data from the Office database to the Field
>    database, is
> it worth setting up a Replication procedure?

I don't know. If you are sure that's all that ever happens, and the
table they are adding data to is completely independent of all
others (no relationships), then it might be simpler.

But, frankly, writing the code to do that takes a lot longer than
writing the replication synch code, and replication will work even
if the requirements change and you need more than just one-way
additions, while "manually" updating will break if the requirements
change.

I'm prejudiced on this, i.e., pro-Replication, because I've been
using it for apps just like this since 1997. It's trivial for me,
and I've got pre-written code I can borrow from other projects to do
all the conflict checking and so forth (though none of it is all
that complicated).

In terms of reliability, as long as the synchs are always across a
wired LAN connection, it will be rock-solid.

David
5/30/2010 5:54:57 PM
David,
   Again, Thank You very much for your time and advice. I do appreciate.

Thomas

> "Thomas Kroljic" <tkroljic@covad.net> wrote in
>
>>     One final question for now, if the Field laptop is only used
>>     for
>> gathering New data and there is no
>>    reason to upload data from the Office database to the Field
>>    database, is
>> it worth setting up a Replication procedure?
>
> I don't know. If you are sure that's all that ever happens, and the
> table they are adding data to is completely independent of all
> others (no relationships), then it might be simpler.
>
> But, frankly, writing the code to do that takes a lot longer than
> writing the replication synch code, and replication will work even
> if the requirements change and you need more than just one-way
> additions, while "manually" updating will break if the requirements
> change.
>
> I'm prejudiced on this, i.e., pro-Replication, because I've been
> using it for apps just like this since 1997. It's trivial for me,
> and I've got pre-written code I can borrow from other projects to do
> all the conflict checking and so forth (though none of it is all
> that complicated).
>
> In terms of reliability, as long as the synchs are always across a
> wired LAN connection, it will be rock-solid.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
Thomas

visio from database or spreadsheet
what tools are available for those that aren't .net or c++ programmers to allow a database or spreadsheet to be the input object for a visio diagram? Visio has a database wizard that allows you to connect shapes and their properties to data in Excel or databases. I believe this also includes a "catalog" mode, where a whole set of shapes can be generated with each value in a table, but I haven't checked this for a while. Also, the Org-chart wizard allows the creation of org-charts from databases... -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "drew" <dre...

Frequent ExchSrvr restarts needed for remote users
Hello all – I have a mob of disenchanted users about to lynch me because of a problem that I cannot get to the bottom of. I recently migrated Exchange 5.5 to 2K3, consolidating three sites in the process. Now we have one Exchange Server at headquarters that hosts all mailboxes and public folders. The problem is with the users at the remote sites. Approximately every three business days, I have to restart the Exch Srvr, because over the space of a few hours, many users at the remotes sites are unable to connect to it. (“Trying to connect..” in the Outlook status bar). Only a resta...

Club membership list / database
Hello, First, let me explain where I'm starting from... I help out with a private non-profit club as a Board member and as Secretary. Our current membership list is done via a MS Works database that was set up by persons unknown the better part of 10 years ago. The person doing the data entry portion and mailing out the newletters, etc. is just barely computer-literate, i.e. surf, check email, maybe fill out a template or form if it's not too complicated - maybe. Lots of hand-holding involved. Along the way there have been some computer crashes and just general data entry ...

Post Office 2003 SP3 problem
I'm having a serious issue after upgrading to Office 2003 SP3. Three out of the several hundred forms in my database no longer allow me to make changes to the underlying code. To be more precise, they won't allow me to *save* changes to the underlying code. Every time I try to save, even a tirival change (hit Enter on a line of existing code) I get the "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. This is the error message: AppName: msaccess.exe AppVer: 11.0.8166.0 AppStamp:46437912 ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ...

disk peoblem or exchange database
Hello Friends, we have exchange 2003 sp2. last month database corruption came in. i restore it from online backup. after sometime time error came with this number -1018, database page cache. Online defragmentation halt in between, etc,etc. Now i am unable to take an online backup. their is some read error came in. 1. Is this a disk problem or database problem. 2. I also want to run chkdsk on the drive having .edb and trans log files. tell me chkdsk shoulr with /r or /f. 3. i am goint to restore our database from online backup from the backup that i take last month. i have all trans l...

Out of office reply #16
Is it possible to create an exceptions list for the "Out of office reply"? I was hoping that an exchange server on a domain may allow for this. Both Office XP and 2000 don't seem to provide this function on the client side. Thanks for any input. Alas, not that I know of. A lot of orgs don't even open up OOO to the Internet for myriad reasons, replying to all spammers being one of them. John Knutson wrote: > Is it possible to create an exceptions list for the "Out > of office reply"? I was hoping that an exchange server on > a domain may allow for this...

Compacting remotely?
Hello All I have an access97 backend mdb, which I would like to compact/repair automatically overnight. Is it possible to leave a separate mdb open that would open the backend mdb, compact it, then close it again? I'm sure this can be done because I think I've read something about it somewhere: but I can't remember how - or where! Hope someone can help. Thanks Leslie Isaacs well you could schedule it with windows. take a look at Albert Kallal's solution here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/BatchJobs/Index.html change the code to compact the database... -- M...

Upgrading from Office V.X to office 2004 professional
Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not the full edition)? Simply put, yes! For detailed information on upgrading, see this page: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade#office2004> On 9/26/04 8:36 AM, in article c75f9b42.0409260536.10b01f00@posting.google.com, "JT" <john.turner@whitehallcc.com> wrote: > Can I upgrade my copy of Office V.X (standard edition) to Office 2004 > Professional by simply buying the Office 2004 prof upgrade (and not > the...

Can I purchase just Outlook 2007 without the entire office?
I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there anywhere I can download Outlook instead of getting it mailed to me? I have tried Microsoft but they only offer full suite downloads. Thanks Joey Joey wrote: > I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. > Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems > to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there > anywhere I ...

Can't load Office 2003
I have Win XP and Office 2000 on a Dell Laptop. I recently bought a sealed version of Office 2003 OEM. It initially loaded, but wouldn't install updates. Tried to uninstall and couldn't get it off. Got some help from Msoft. Got it off, but then couldn't re-install. I decided to reinstall office 2000. Since I had saved my outlook pst file before uninstalling 2003, it's now not readable by office 2002. Question 1: why won't 2003 load. won't even get to "key request"? Question 2: Is there conversion s/w that allows me to go backward? I down loaded...

Office 2007 Word
Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. Any ideas? "Anna" <Anna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F5FAE3C-F653-4496-9B44-5321FD09F3E3@microsoft.com... > Since my last windows update I cannot get Word to stay up. It immediately > closes with an error Word not responding windows will look for solution. > Any > ideas? Do a system restore to a point before you installed the updates, then install the updates one at a time until you ...

Remote Active Sync
Hello, I just upgraded to Exchange 2003 Server and I have no idea how to setup Mobile Access. I would like to sync my pocket pc remotely. Does anyone know where I can get step by step instructions on how to do this? Thanks, Jose ...

Delete Office?
It's getting to be the end of the semester for me, and I'd like to burn all my Word files to CD's, then delete Office from my computer and re-install it again (I can legally "borrow" the installation disk at my school for no charge.) How do I do this? The last time I tried it I had some problems, and I don't think Office was removed correctly, and I want to start anew. After the most recent installation it will "unexpectedly quit", and I can't use the dictionary feature, among other things. In article <1114631063.612423.22240@l41g2000cwc.googlegroup...

Push out Office via AD/Group policy
Ok, I have gone through the process to install Office 2007 through AD/Group Policy Management Console on machines in our domain. With other applications we push out, if the application isn't installed, it installs it. If it is installed, it doesn't do anything else. It appears though that with the Office Enterprise 2007 that if it IS installed, that it re installs Office 2007... Is there a way to configure AD/GPMC to only install Office if it ISN'T installed already????? Thanks Steve Phone Support for Office Enterprise is free. See the below Here you wi...

Database Design
I'm wanting to create a database which is very simular to Microsoft Office 2007 Example : Northwind Traders but I dont know how start. Can anyone help me with this..... I would be Really Really Gratefull! Daniel That may be a bit too broad a request for the newsgroup. Folks here help with specific suggestions in response to specific questions. Your request is a little like asking "how can I get to Perth, Australia?"... Is there a reason you can't simply use the Northwind Traders db as your starting point/template? More info, please... Regards Jef...

Remoting
Can I launch with some api an application in a remote pc that is connected to the same lan? If the answer is positive, can I supply also parameters? Regards Mark Overall, the simple answer is "no". In fact, if you can do this, there is a security hole in your network large enough to drive a freight train through. Sideways. However, you can create secure techniques that can allow this; creating the security is a topic well beyond the scope we can discuss here, but what you have to do is create some kind of server process that launches the program with appropriate security cred...

Excel Database Function
Not sure where to post this..We have an export from an external database into an Excel spreadsheet that lists our customer lists..ie: Code is three letters and the usual demographics (address info)..We wanted to create an app where you would doubleclick on an icon and it would prompt you for the three letter code in Excel and then print a label to an attached DYMO label printer of the demographic for that code. I have three users who have Excel and not Access or I would have created it there.. Any pointers on whether this exists for Word or Excel or can it be done? Thanks.. Leo Leo, Ex...

Remote Office VPN Internet Access
Hi Have Remote Office (RO) PCs connected to Main Office (MO) (SBS 2003) via h/w router Site to Site VPN, on ADSL. Is it possible to route Internet traffic via the local router rather than using the SBS 2003 box for DNS. Objective is to reduce data traffic on the VPN. I am going to add 2nd ADSL line to split off and soley route the VoIP traffic usinng a static route. Or alternatively use a router with VPN trunking with QoS. However, if Internet traffic was kept 'local', the VPN would have more bandwidth for VoIP/files. -- Many Thanks Drew In article <6...

Extracting Data easily from database Excel 2003
Hi All, Have a large database (approx 30 columns, hundreds of lines) and would like to run a quick report that pulls important related information from the databse via a key descriptor i.e if I have simple data like Number Description Cost Delivery Qty 1 Egg 25 Yes 300 2 Chicken 30 No 500 So by choosing a line number, the remaining line information returns, Description, cost etc returns into appropriate label fileds as below Number 2 (line number chosen to view) Description ...

Autoforward email after office hours
Is there anyway that we can set the rule to autoforward emails after certain hours and cancel the autoforward at a certain hours ...

Disabling Office 2007 startup GUI
Is it possible to disable the first box that appears after I click on the ..exe for e.g Word? I'm referring to the yellow welcome box with the text 'Microsoft Office Word 2007' This is a Word for Mac group. Word 2007 is a program for Windows. Please don't post the same question in multiple newsgroups. It is already answered in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement. Yves "Abi" <Abi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:460E7E7C-1D8D-4723-87DB-5E57671A3E4B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to disable the first box that appears after...

remote connections
In SS2K , how to enable remote connections ? For example, from my machine, within SEM I'd like to create a "New SQL Server Registration" connection to that machine. This has always worked for me in the past, but today I've encountered an SS2K instance which gives me a "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())" error. Does it matter if the target instance is configured as "Windows Authentication" vs "Mixed Mode" ? I'm attempting the "New SQL Server Registration" via Windows Authentication. I...

Putting Database on Server so other Employees can access it
I just put a database I created on our server. The other 2 people who will be using it arent able to open it up though. Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to fix this so they can use it? Thanks for your help!!! 1. All users of the database must have at least read, write, create, delete (or modify) privileges to the folder holding the database file. Not just the database .mdb file, but the entire folder. 2. Open the database and go to Tools, Options, and Advanced Tab. Set the Default Open mode to Shared and the Default Record Locking to Edited Record. (...

Display Database Modified Date on form
I would like to display the date that the database was last modified on a form. I found a message in the newsgroup (I can't seem to find it again) that suggested this code: Dim fs As Object Dim f As Object Dim strModDate As String Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set f = fs.GetFile(CurrentProject.FullName) strModDate = f.DateLastModified Debug.Print strModDate Set f = Nothing Set fs = Nothing However, I need a little more direction. Can someone please provide some basic assistance? I'm assuming that the code is assigne...

BCM database #2
How I can use the old BCM database ? After installation one new BCM - this create one new database - named 2. But before I use one BCM - with lot of data and now I would like use this data. I have not any backup, only original files with old BCM data. Jaro Jaro wrote: > How I can use the old BCM database ? After installation one new BCM - > this create one new database - named 2. But before I use one BCM - > with lot of data and now I would like use this data. I have not any > backup, only original files with old BCM data. > > Jaro Try posting in m.p.outlook.bcm for mor...