reference to lookup value

I'm trying to write an expression that refers to a value in a combobox on a form that is derived from a lookup field on a table that (of course) refers to values on another table.  How can I properly reference this?  Messing around with the bound column properties for the combo box and the underlying table has not helped.  The only values I can get passed through to the VBA editor are the index value and null.-- Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!Jaybird
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Jaybird" <Jaybird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry.  I forgot to let you know that this was a big help!
> --
> Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!
>
> Jaybird
>

> "Ofer Cohen" wrote:
>
>> If the RowSource of the combo include few fields
>>
>> Select Field1 , Field2 , Field3 From TableName
>>
>> To get the value from the combo
>> Field1:
>> Forms![FormName]![ComboName].Column(0)
>>
>> Field2:
>> Forms![FormName]![ComboName].Column(1)
>>
>> Field3:
>> Forms![FormName]![ComboName].Column(2)
>>
>> Note: The column number start with 0,
>> If the column count on the combo property is less then 3, then the third
>> column in the combo wont be recognize
>>
>> --
>> Good Luck
>> BS"D
>>

>> "Jaybird" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to write an expression that refers to a value in a combobox
>> > on a
>> > form that is derived from a lookup field on a table that (of course)
>> > refers
>> > to values on another table.  How can I properly reference this?
>> > Messing
>> > around with the bound column properties for the combo box and the
>> > underlying
>> > table has not helped.  The only values I can get passed through to the
>> > VBA
>> > editor are the index value and null.
>> > --
>> > Why are you asking me?  I dont know what Im doing!
>> >
>> > Jaybird

0
i_takeuti

Cell Value as Named Range Reference
Little bit of a quirky question... Trying to use a cell value as a reference in a formula, where that cell value is the name of a named range. So, assume A1:A3 is a named range: Rng1. And, B1:B3 is Rng2. I want to get the correlation vale for A1:A3 and B1:B3 So, cell D1 contains "Rng1" and D2 has "Rng2"; and cell D3 has the formula: =correl(D1,D2). But I get an error. Have also tried using Indirect to no avail. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you. =CORREL(INDIRECT(D1),INDIRECT(D2)) -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "ste...

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

refering to a name range area as a reference value multiple times on a worksheet at different locations
i was wondering if i had posted this in the right section as it could apply to both please could you take a look at the following post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/f088a5737dd26570 thank you Is there some reason you can't post your question here instead of asking us to look elsewhere? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Blinds Nottingham" <bradrail.blinds.awnings@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d8768e43-e035-45eb-856a-0ccdc843441d@g1g2000yqi.googlegroup...

Coping with missing year value in date data type field (Rephrased/Repost)
Hi! Suppose I am collecting Date of Birth data for a contacts application. However, some contacts are only willing to provide day and month information, but withold the year of birth. What's a good way to deal with this? I can think of two, but... 1. Use a "dummy" value for an unknown year, (e.g. 1900). This would allow the use of a date/time data type and be fairly easy to implement, but it sure feels like I would be breaking some kind of relational rule to enter "fake" data. 2. Create three text fields (txtDay, txtMonth, txtYear). This would allow the use of...

What is IVA# in Distribution Reference and Reference?
We did an inventory adjustment and now we get a unknown amount in Debit under the Inventory account and Credit for COGS account in the Transaction Entry Zoom. We're trying to figure out where that amount came from but we couldn't zoom more than what it's currently shown. In both fields, Reference and Distribution Reference, it's shown IVA#######... that is unknown to or setup by us in anywhere, i.e. Audit Trail, Source Document. Does this amount affect the dollar in the accounts mentioned? And can anyone please help to where we could drill down the IVA details?...

Change Value axis to category axis
Is there a way to change places of the category (x) axis and the value (y) axis? If so, how? I am using Excel 2003. -- Ronnie You can only make this switch if you change a column chart to a bar chart. But if you want a line chart that's rotated, you can fake it: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DotPlot.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/ _______ "Ronnie" <Ronnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA95159B-371E-4F1F-8C77-6B5F530BF6E5@microsoft.com... > Is there a...

macro button refers to prev. workbook?
Hi, When I create a macro in Excel, and assign a button to it, it works fine the first time, but when I re-open the workbook for a second time, and try to run the macro again, the macro seems to refer to the previous workbook...For some reason, the macro saves the name of the previous workbook... Sub test() ' Dim name As String Dim adress As String Sheets("sheet1").Select Range("A1").Select name = ActiveSheet.Range("B6").Value adress = ActiveSheet.Range("B4").Value ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Temp...

Column and Row reference
How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top and right hand side references Dave Tools>Options>View. Uncheck "row and column headers". Good idea to spend a few minutes browsing through the various Tools>Options tabs to see what else is available to toggle on/off. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:53:02 -0700, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do i hide the column and row reference number in a sheet, when viewing the worksheet i do not to show the top an...

lookup and transfer data
I have multiple spreadsheets that I want to move certain information from to get all my info into one spreadsheet. Is there anyway to search mutiple spreadsheets by a column like "Part Number" and tell it to retrive another column like "Qty" then post it into a corresponding column in another worksheet by matching "Part Number"?? Hi some questions upfront: - how are your sheets named exactly - columns IDs - Are you searching for a numeric value only - Is there only one occurence of each part number -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ExcelDummy wrote...

Missing References
I had a problem today with a missing reference - Microsoft Forms 2 on a colleague's machine at work (Office 2003; VBA 6.5; XP). I've read Chip Pearson's "Missing References in VBA" which is a geat explanation about how to fix problems like this. Oddly the library didn't seem to be flagged as "missing" and was in fact present in the system32 directory but didn't show up in the list of available references. Now to the questions: I'm not clear on whether if I write code in a project that references a library which is not part of the &qu...

Reference
Is it possible to create a reference to another object such as: int & x = i; but using an image list, and referencing different objects depending on a condition? such as : CImageList & imageList; if (thumbnail == 1) imageList = m_ImageListThumb; else imageList = m_ImageListFullSize; Hope this makes sense! Ben You're better off using pointers for this. I believe, depending on the class, that what you're trying to will make a copy of the object instead of referencing it. "Ben Williamson" <oakdaleclose@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:43ee4603...

Help with #DIV/O! ...need cell value to come up with answer
When dividing a number by zero (0) the following error appears #DIV/O! however instead of this I would like the number 0 to appear. How can this be done? I have tried conditional formatting..but cant get it to work..any suggestions. Thanks Tim Harding =if(a2=0,0,b2/a2) is the way On 28 Aug 2003 01:47:44 -0700, tim.harding@royalmail.com (Tim Harding Royal Mail) wrote: >When dividing a number by zero (0) > >the following error appears #DIV/O! however instead of this I would >like the number 0 to appear. > >How can this be done? > >I have tried conditional format...

Macro to Reference Column Next to Current Reference
Hi, I'd like to automate the following procedure using a macro. Please help. 1) i have 2 sheets: Sheet1 & Sheet2 2) In Sheet1, Cells B2,D2,F2 has the formulas "=Sheet2! F2", "=Sheet2!K2", "=Sheet2!P2" correspondingly. 3) Every month when i do my work, i'd have to manually rekey the formulas to reference the subsequent columns, ie, Cell B2,D2,F2 will change from above to "=Sheet2! G2", "=Sheet2!L2", "=Sheet2!Q2" and in the following month, I have to change manually again to "=Sheet2! H2", "=Sheet2!M2&qu...

Sheet Reference
Is there a formula for listing the current Sheet. I know about the filename cell("filename",A1) which returns the entire path, but I just want the Sheet name to appear. John, You still use the CELL("filename") function, but you need to trim the result a bit. Like this: =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,99) -- Ture Magnusson Microsoft MVP - Excel Karlstad, Sweden "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c6001c3a856$291c9a20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a formula for listing...

IMF & Reverse DNS Lookup
Does IMF do a reverse DNS lookup and allow you to block mail from addressee domains that do not resolve properly? Also, is there a place to edit the RBLs or is this somewhere else in the Exchange Admin? Thanks >> Joe IMF does not do a rdns lookup, afaik. RBLs are usually maintained by 3rd party providers, though you can certainly create and maintain one yourself but that's not an Exchange function. The RBL lookup feature is a part of Connection Filtering - it looks up RBLs for particular IP addresses and if they appear in a RBL the connection is dropped. There's a facili...

Lookup, vlookup, find, or what
Thanks in advance. Xcel07 on WinXP. I have a list of names in sheet 4, I need to search sheet 1, 2 and 3 to see if each name on sheet4 is located on any of the other 3 sheets. Here are a couple of my attempts so far =LOOKUP(C3,'Friday 930am:Monday 1130am'!C2:C25) =SUMPRODUCT(C2*'Friday 930am:Monday 1130am'!C2:C25) To clarify the above Sheet 1 is named Friday 930am Sheet 2 is anmed Friday 12:30pm Sheet 3 is named Monday 1130am Any suggestions are welcome You can't do that type of 3D referencing. Need to individually look through each sheet =ISNUMBE...

zero values #2
How can I show leading zeroes in zip codes in an Excel spreadsheet? I have clicked the Tools-Options-View-Show Zeroes but the leading zeroes do not appear. Hi, Select the column (or row) containing the zip codes --> "Format" --> "Cells" --> click on "Number Tab" and "Special" for "category" --> "Zip Code" for "Type" --> "OK" Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "booklover" wrote: > How can I show leading zeroes in zip codes in an Excel spreadsheet? I have > clicked the Tools-Options...

R1C1 reference #2
Excel keeps changing to the R1C1 reference style, but only in one of my workbooks (I believe in just one of the worksheets). I keep changing it back (Tools - Options - General - R1C1 Reference Style), but when I move or copy cells in the workbook, it changes back to R1C1. Anyone have an idea? Look at the TOOLS / OPTIONS / SETTINGS is the 'R1C1 References Style' box checked? If not, check it then save the workbook. Not sure if this is your issue but it's worth a try. Good Luck, -- Gary Brown gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com "Tony S" wrote: > Ex...

How do I Shorten Object References?
ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Vessel") I'm always referring to this Sheet and Sheet "Operations" I've seen code where people shorten the objects... How exactly do I do that? Dim ws as worksheet set ws = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Vessel") ws.Range("A1").value = "Shorten" "Benjamin" wrote: > ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Vessel") > I'm always referring to this Sheet and Sheet "Operations" > I've seen code where people shorten the objects... > How exactly do I do that? Benjamin, Here's ...

reference to circular reference bug
I just discovered something that looks like a new excel bug: to reproduce behaviour: 1. open a new workbook; 2. activate circular references; 3. enter those formulas: B4 <- formula is =B5 B5 <- formula is =1+SE(B6;0;1) B6 <- formala is =(B5=2) B7 <- formula is =B5 (same as B4!!!) (NB: SE() this is the standard IIF() function in the italian version of excel;) What's wrong: B4 and B7, will display different results even if they contain the same formula. The result displayed depends on the position of the cell conataining the formula: if it is on the left or above B5 the result...

Historical Lookup Issue in SOP
I just removed access to a financial window (exhange rate entry) to all our user classes. Now, no user can use the Historical Lookup (Ctrl-H) when in Sales Transaction Entry (receive error that they do not have access to the form), yet I never removed access to it. When I review the activity tracking, it is saying mentions the gpsLookup window. I cannot locate this window in order to give a user access to it and why would it all of a sudden be removed when I rolled down changes to a class with one financial window change? Of course, nothing found on TK on Customersource. Not sure ...

Getting the cell reference
How can I automatically/ continously get the cell reference to the last cell in a particular column, that contains text? Any help would be appreciated! *Thanks. :) * -- DuncanG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DuncanG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16398 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=277691 Hi see for various methods depending on your data structure and performance requirements: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LastValue.html "DuncanG" wrote: >...

Invalid Characters Error calling XmlDocument.Load() when an XML Attribute value contains Chinese Characters
I am unable to load an xml document that contains Chinese characters in an attribute value. I need to load the document into and XmlDocument object and am using the XmlDocument.Load(string filename) method. I get an error that says the document contains invalid characters. The document loads fine with Chinese characters in a node value, but not in an attribute value. I have tried setting the encoding to UTF-8 and UTF-16, but neither solve the problem. Can Chinese (or other Unicode characters) be used in an attribute value in an XML Document? Chief wrote: > I am unable to load an xml do...