Re: Access 2007 or 2003 with Vista performance slow

Disregard my last statement about A2003 performance. With my laptop
disconnect from the network, I get the same excellent performance with A2003
and SS2005 as on Windows XP Pro. It is A2007 that will not perform.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

Charax

"Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote in message news:...
> Glad to have confirmation it isn't just my installation. Unfortunately,
> I'm on a road trip and unable to use my database and only have access to
> slow dial-up connections.
>
> Are you using SQL Server 2005 and A2007 on the same computer? (Mine is an
> HP laptop with Vista Home Premium).
>
> I uninstalled A2007 and reinstalled A2003 but am still having very slow
> performance, perhaps indicating an SQL Server issue, not just A2007.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charax

0
Charax
7/7/2007 1:06:23 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hello,

I've been working on this issue for about a week now.

A2007 (installed on a Vista PC) is SLLLOOWW working with tables linked via
ODBC to either SQL Server 2000 (across a network) or a local instance of SQL
Server Express 2005. By that I mean opening either SS 2000 or SSE 2005
tables in datasheet view from the navigation pane takes at least 8 seconds
in Access 2007. The same two tables, opened in A2003 on a different PC
(older, slower, but with the same amount of RAM), open in less than a
second.

I linked to the same SS 2000 and SSE 2005 table from both an mdb and accdb
in A2007 and saw the same slow performance. I also linked to the same SS
2000 and SSE 2005 tables from an Access 2003 mdb and saw NO performance
issues.

I've posted on the topic elsewhere and gotten little useful information so
far. I'm not sure what role Vista plays here, because I don't have Access
2007 on an XP machine, but I am pretty well convinced that A2007 linked via
ODBC to either version of SQL Server is not up to snuff.

If I get any useful feedback, I'll come back and post here, but at this
point I'm not too hopeful.

BTW: A2003 linked to either SS 2000 or SSE 2005 perform nicely so I know
it's not an "Access" issue per se. it's in the 2007 version only.

--
George Hepworth
2007 MS MVP in Access

> Disregard my last statement about A2003 performance. With my laptop
> disconnect from the network, I get the same excellent performance with
> A2003 and SS2005 as on Windows XP Pro. It is A2007 that will not perform.
>
> If you have any ideas, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charax
>

> "Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote in message news:...
>> Glad to have confirmation it isn't just my installation. Unfortunately,
>> I'm on a road trip and unable to use my database and only have access to
>> slow dial-up connections.
>>
>> Are you using SQL Server 2005 and A2007 on the same computer? (Mine is an
>> HP laptop with Vista Home Premium).
>>
>> I uninstalled A2007 and reinstalled A2003 but am still having very slow
>> performance, perhaps indicating an SQL Server issue, not just A2007.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Charax

0
George
7/13/2007 5:10:08 PM
"George Hepworth" <george_hepworth@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've been working on this issue for about a week now.

>BTW: A2003 linked to either SS 2000 or SSE 2005 perform nicely so I know
>it's not an "Access" issue per se. it's in the 2007 version only.

Good work, George.

Charax, thanks for mentioning this problem.  I've notified a contact
within Microsoft of this problem including viewing this thread.

Hopefully this will get solved in SP1.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Please post any solutions or leads you might have.

Cheers,

Charax

"George Hepworth" <george_hepworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been working on this issue for about a week now.
>
> A2007 (installed on a Vista PC) is SLLLOOWW working with tables linked via
> ODBC to either SQL Server 2000 (across a network) or a local instance of
> SQL Server Express 2005. By that I mean opening either SS 2000 or SSE 2005
> tables in datasheet view from the navigation pane takes at least 8 seconds
> in Access 2007. The same two tables, opened in A2003 on a different PC
> (older, slower, but with the same amount of RAM), open in less than a
> second.
>
> I linked to the same SS 2000 and SSE 2005 table from both an mdb and accdb
> in A2007 and saw the same slow performance. I also linked to the same SS
> 2000 and SSE 2005 tables from an Access 2003 mdb and saw NO performance
> issues.
>
> I've posted on the topic elsewhere and gotten little useful information so
> far. I'm not sure what role Vista plays here, because I don't have Access
> 2007 on an XP machine, but I am pretty well convinced that A2007 linked
> via ODBC to either version of SQL Server is not up to snuff.
>
> If I get any useful feedback, I'll come back and post here, but at this
> point I'm not too hopeful.
>
> BTW: A2003 linked to either SS 2000 or SSE 2005 perform nicely so I know
> it's not an "Access" issue per se. it's in the 2007 version only.
>
> --
> George Hepworth
> 2007 MS MVP in Access
>

> "Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote in message
>> Disregard my last statement about A2003 performance. With my laptop
>> disconnect from the network, I get the same excellent performance with
>> A2003 and SS2005 as on Windows XP Pro. It is A2007 that will not perform.
>>
>> If you have any ideas, please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Charax
>>

>> "Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote in message news:...
>>> Glad to have confirmation it isn't just my installation. Unfortunately,
>>> I'm on a road trip and unable to use my database and only have access to
>>> slow dial-up connections.
>>>
>>> Are you using SQL Server 2005 and A2007 on the same computer? (Mine is
>>> an HP laptop with Vista Home Premium).
>>>
>>> I uninstalled A2007 and reinstalled A2003 but am still having very slow
>>> performance, perhaps indicating an SQL Server issue, not just A2007.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Charax

0
Charax
7/20/2007 7:02:59 AM
Thanks for passing this on, Tony. I look forward to a solution. I'm on a
road trip now, but will attack this issue seriously when I get back home in
early August.

Please pass to your MS contact to also look at the "Vista, ODBC and SQL
Server 2005" thread in this newsgroup with Rick's suggestions.

Cheers,

Charax

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> "George Hepworth" <george_hepworth@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been working on this issue for about a week now.
>
>>BTW: A2003 linked to either SS 2000 or SSE 2005 perform nicely so I know
>>it's not an "Access" issue per se. it's in the 2007 version only.
>
> Good work, George.
>
> Charax, thanks for mentioning this problem.  I've notified a contact
> within Microsoft of this problem including viewing this thread.
>
> Hopefully this will get solved in SP1.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Charax
7/20/2007 7:06:59 AM
"Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote:

>Please pass to your MS contact to also look at the "Vista, ODBC and SQL
>Server 2005" thread in this newsgroup with Rick's suggestions.

Yup, I'm aware of that thread too.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
7/20/2007 11:04:03 PM
Hi Charax.

So far, no joy although I've had some feedback from MS folks that they are
looking at this issue, so I'm hopeful they'll at least identify the source
of the issue soon.

--
George Hepworth
2007 MS MVP in Access

> George, your experience mirrors mine with slow ODBC performance under
> Vista. There is something wrong (or not intuitively fixable) in Vista with
> ODBC. I've been chasing this in several threads, most recently with Rick
> Byham in a thread titled "Vista, ODBC and SQL Server 2005" in this
> newsgroup (and SQL server connect group).
>
> Please post any solutions or leads you might have.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charax
>
> "George Hepworth" <george_hepworth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been working on this issue for about a week now.
>>
>> A2007 (installed on a Vista PC) is SLLLOOWW working with tables linked
>> via ODBC to either SQL Server 2000 (across a network) or a local instance
>> of SQL Server Express 2005. By that I mean opening either SS 2000 or SSE
>> 2005 tables in datasheet view from the navigation pane takes at least 8
>> seconds in Access 2007. The same two tables, opened in A2003 on a
>> different PC (older, slower, but with the same amount of RAM), open in
>> less than a second.
>>
>> I linked to the same SS 2000 and SSE 2005 table from both an mdb and
>> accdb in A2007 and saw the same slow performance. I also linked to the
>> same SS 2000 and SSE 2005 tables from an Access 2003 mdb and saw NO
>> performance issues.
>>
>> I've posted on the topic elsewhere and gotten little useful information
>> so far. I'm not sure what role Vista plays here, because I don't have
>> Access 2007 on an XP machine, but I am pretty well convinced that A2007
>> linked via ODBC to either version of SQL Server is not up to snuff.
>>
>> If I get any useful feedback, I'll come back and post here, but at this
>> point I'm not too hopeful.
>>
>> BTW: A2003 linked to either SS 2000 or SSE 2005 perform nicely so I know
>> it's not an "Access" issue per se. it's in the 2007 version only.
>>
>> --
>> George Hepworth
>> 2007 MS MVP in Access
>>

>> "Charax" <chris@NOSPAMparthia.com> wrote in message
>>> Disregard my last statement about A2003 performance. With my laptop
>>> disconnect from the network, I get the same excellent performance with
>>> A2003 and SS2005 as on Windows XP Pro. It is A2007 that will not
>>> perform.
>>>
>>> If you have any ideas, please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Charax

0
George

Re-arranging table using pivot-table?

Re-install Outlook 2002

access file to exe file
Hi, good day! May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to XP versions but i was not able to find any. thank you very much and anticipating your response. Anthony > May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an > executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to > XP versions but i was not able to find any. I tried a number of converters to translate Access into Visual Basic, all with limited success. Even when I was able to get a form working it required as much time to tweek it a...

Outlook 2003 refresh feature
Client is WinXP (Sp1) and OfficePro 2003 outlook (sp1). Using neither NAT nor firewall. Incoming messages are not being displayed unless the user clicks on another folder and back to Inbox (very frustrating, considering the user gets dozens of messages a day 'cause of the nature of his work). I have checked the KB for the problem but I have found nothing specific about OL2003 and XP. Other posted messages have either OL2K or XP or some other combination of OS' but nothing that applies directly to my issue. Any ideas? Regards and thanks. Was this one of the articles you read...

enter network password in Outlook 2003
Using Outlook 2003. I have my email set up to SEND/RECEIVE every 5 mins but i keep getting the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD / USER NAME dialog box up and its driving me mad. All my setting look ok so I cant see why this is happening. I use btinternet/yahoo as my isp. Have spoken to BT broadband net help who advise me that they DONT support Outlook. PLEASE HELP me to sort this out Do you have more than one account configured with the same server? Does it work when you enter your password or does it continue to prompt? Also see; For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (just ignore the par...

Backup feature in 2007 Runtime
I have an Access 2007 database that i'm deploying with the runtime and would like to enable the backup feature located in the file menu. How can i call this feature or something like it so that the (novice) user can specify the location and with a predetermined filename of the backup file in the same sort of easy manner that the backup function uses? (I'm planning to execute this at the OnClose event of a main form) Thankyou in advance. Never mind it can be added to the shortcut menu for the specific database "Jared" wrote: > I have an Access 2007 database that i...

Re-Enable CRM User

RE:Excel will not open from a web link

UnitsOnHand-ms access
Hi, In the inventory form i have this formula to calculate products on hand: =Sum(nz([UnitsReceived])-nz([UnitsShrinkage])-nz([UnitsSold])), but we buy the same product from different vendors if one doesn't have it so product number different for every supplier, my question how do i bring all together to get units on hand or in stock? thank you very much -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200911/1 Are you saying that you have a "part" that can be supplied by more than one "supplier"? F...

Word Template created in Word 2008 (mac) won't save on Word 2007 (vista)

How do i change my file from a 2003 office doument to a 2000 docu.
i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody help?? File, save as, files of type, expand the menu to Publisher 2000. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E89A2FF9-20DD-4568-980F-73162AE7AB8A@microsoft.com... >i have done this before with a word document but i dont seem to be able to > figure out how to do it with a publisher document.... can anybody he...

Outlook 2000 or XP on Exchange 2003 SBS
it appears that the only way Outlook XP and 2000 users can receive their emails is when they highlight an email already in their inbox. For instance, if they are in their Word program and they look into their Outlook, without highlighting an email on their inbox, it would show that they have not receive any emails. However, the moment they highlight an email in their inbox, then they'll receive about 5 emails that appears to have been in some type of queue. It's obvious that they were in there for quite a while because of the time that they were sent. Are these client run...

Connect Windows 7 to SBS 2003
Spent the last eight hours trying to connect my W7 workstation to a fresh install of SBS 2003 premium. When running http://server/connectcomputer/, I would get as far as providing a username and password for setup when a popup would inform me, "The list of users and computers could not be found. Make sure that the Small Business Server network adapters are configured correctly.". I have only one NIC, I can see the shared folders on my server and even connect to them. My server is not running DHCP or DNS and I think these might be my problem. I did run windows update and...

Re: exmerge error

Access/Office 2003
Does anyone know when the sunset for Access/Office 2003 is? I'm thinking about going straight from Office 2003 to Office 2010? Does anyone have any info on the stability of Office 2010? -- Thanx in advance! Angelo Sunset? Hum... Considering I still am supporting client using access 97, I wouldn't worry too much. Also, I wouldn't rush into any new software, including access 2010, until a good year after it's initial release to allow, in this case, microsoft to resolve the bugs that will most certainly occur. You also have to realize that most compan...

Simply Identifying the location (in My Documents) of the Access Database that I have open
I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which Folder the Database exists. In other Msft applications, I can find out by simply selecting file > Save as. But in Access, this is not an option. So is there another way to identify in which folder the Access database is located? Thanks. http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0007.htm "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dbdd625f-fb2a-4d42-a93c-f084efb8c781@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which > Folder the Databas...

Transfer files from money 99 to money 2003
We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has our records in money 99. We tried to import export but the records to not come across correctly. What should we d???? You shouldn't have to export or import. Just move across your .MNY data file and open it with the newer version. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=68. "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1351501c419bd$2899add0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has > our records in money 99. We tried to import export but > the...

OL 2003 install over OL2002
I'm currently running OfficeXP(2002). I don't see any compelling reasons to upgrade to Office2003, except for the Outlook piece. Can I upgrade Outlook 2003 without screwing up the other OfficeXP components? Thanks! Yes, but you won't have the option to use Word as your e-mail editor anymore. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Bruce" <x@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:10c3bsrjgedpja1@corp.supernews.com... > I'm currently...

change default font size for all fields in outlook 2003
I want to change the default font size for all fields in outlook. I can inly fin a way to change one view at a time. Thanks ...

import .pst file into entourage 2008 no access to pc
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel my pc just broke I have my outlook 2007 file saved in a .pst file, I don't have access to a pc, what I can do to import in entourage? <br> It seems that for mac office the compatibility is essential but not for all!!! On 4/7/10 6:53 PM, ladyelena@officeformac.com wrote: > just broke I have my outlook 2007 file saved in a .pst file, I don't > have access to a pc, what I can do to import in entourage? There are some third party option that can help with that. Check out the options on...

re re re ????
nefertiti ??? ...

Money 2003
What is the column in the register that has the heading of a red exclamation mark? Some of my entries have an image of an envelope and a question mark in that column. What does this image mean? This is Money 2003 Deluxe running under Windows 2K. Thanks in advance. Mark See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=6 and http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=6. From online help: There are two icons that indicate different conditions for downloaded transactions: When you see ? in your account register, no match has been found for this downloaded transaction. It is marked as a possible new transaction. A ...