Query to join records according to "hierarchy"

I didn't know how else to describe it.

I have records with this structure:

Fields: Name; Last Name; Group
           John; Brown; 1-1
           Carl; Rogers; 1-1
           Brian; Mann; 1-2
           Charles; Grant; 2-1
           Eddie; Murphy; 2-2
           Carmen; Elec; 3-1
           Ellen; Smith; 3-2
           ......and so on

What I need is to combine the field Name in group 1-1 to 1-2, 2-2,
3-2. Then 2-1 with 2-2, 3-2. Then 3-1 with 3-2.

Is this possible? If so, how can I do it?

Thanks for the help.

0
sergio
7/4/2007 4:55:34 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Jul 4, 11:55 am, sergio.prin...@gmail.com wrote:
> I didn't know how else to describe it.
>
> I have records with this structure:
>
> Fields: Name; Last Name; Group
>            John; Brown; 1-1
>            Carl; Rogers; 1-1
>            Brian; Mann; 1-2
>            Charles; Grant; 2-1
>            Eddie; Murphy; 2-2
>            Carmen; Elec; 3-1
>            Ellen; Smith; 3-2
>            ......and so on
>
> What I need is to combine the field Name in group 1-1 to 1-2, 2-2,
> 3-2. Then 2-1 with 2-2, 3-2. Then 3-1 with 3-2.
>
> Is this possible? If so, how can I do it?
>
> Thanks for the help.

so put all the 1- groups together, the 2- groups etc?
It's easier if you split the two into separate fields (maingroup,
subgroup) and then use fConcatChild from AccessWeb...  www.mvps.org/access
See the modules section or just search for fConcatChild.

0
pietlinden
7/4/2007 6:48:19 PM
Hi

You have this now in a query
Fields: Name; Last Name; Group
            John; Brown; 1-1
            Carl; Rogers; 1-1
            Brian; Mann; 1-2
            Charles; Grant; 2-1
            Eddie; Murphy; 2-2
            Carmen; Elec; 3-1
            Ellen; Smith; 3-2
            ......and so on

Can you give a sample of the type of list you want (I am a little confused
by this)

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

On Jul 4, 1:50 pm, Wayne-I-M <Wayn...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Can you give a sample of the type of list you want (I am a little confused
> by this)

First let me thank you for your help:

I don't have a query at the moment. All I have are records in a table.

The results from the query would be something like this:

Name A          Name B        Name C      Name D
John(1-1)        Brian(1-2)      Eddie(2-2)   Ellen(3-2)
Carl(1-1)         Brian(1-2)      Eddie(2-2)   Ellen(3-2)
Charles(2-1)    Eddie(2-2)     Ellen(3-2)
Carmen(3-1)    Ellen(3-2)

Basically every name in group1-1 can be together with group1-2
group2-2 and group3-3. Every name in group 2-1 can only be together
with group2-2 and group3-2... and so on.

Hope that helps,

0
sergio

SetProps doesn't work for the last folder from the hierarchy structure ?
Hi, I encountered some problems when I tried to programaticaly change the PR_DEF_POST_DISPLAYNAME and PR_DEF_POST_MSGCLASS properties for the contacts folder structure: these properties were properly changed for all folders, subfolders except the last one from the hierarchy. Ex: Contacts -> SubFolderContacts -> SubSubFolderContacts The properties were properly changed for Contacts and SubFolderContacts but it weren't changed for SubSubFolderContacts. Note: in the application I didn't receive any error message when I tried to change the properties. Regards, Istvan ...

Print Folder Hierarchy
I am trying to print out a list of all my folders in Outlook 2003. I remember being able to do this in XP & 2000, but don't know how to do this in 2003. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

Checkbox Hierarchy
I am trying to create a hierarchy within checkboxes in a column, so that when I select a checkbox next to a sub-category, the database also automatically includes the main category. For example, if this were a database of someone's likes, I would want the program to recognize that when I select the checkbox next to 'cats,' the checkbox next to 'animals' would also be automatically selected. Has anyone ever done something like this, or can you suggest any simple ways to do this? Thanks! ...

Help with hierarchy in organization charts
I am trying to create a basic org chart for my organization. I am having difficulty representing people at different levels that report to the same person. For example, a manager and a director might report to a partner. I want the manager to appear lower on the chart than the director, but want a direct line to the partner above both people. I realize I can manually lower the manager, but when I use the re-layout function the manager is elevated back to the level of the director. Any ideas? This was easy to accomplish in OrgPlus and I assume there must be a way in Visio as well. Thanks!...

IMAP
IMAP is the only mail account configured on Outlook 2003 client. When Outlook comes up, it freezes at Downloading Hierarchy in the status bar. Window XP says it is not responding. Task Manager shows no CPU or IO activity. Network Connecitons show no activity. I can fix this by deleting the .pst file associated with the non-IMAP mailbox (IMAP with outlook uses a seperate PST for the IMAP temp storage). Of course this wipes out my Calendar, Contacts and Notes. This has been an issue ever since Outlook XP but is critical now as it occurs almost daily. (Thank God I have everthing duplicat...

If then functionality in the approval hierarchy of BP RM.
I am currently using Business Portal RM v2.7. I would like the approval hierarchy to include if then functionality for dollar limits. For example, if Tom has a $1,000 limit he can send everything under $1,000 to the Purchasing person, if it's between $1,000 and $5,000 it goes to his direct manager Sue. If it's over $5,000, Sue has to approve it and send it to her boss who will then send it to Purchasing. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agr...

Task Hierarchy Messed up after creating new Task
Hi, We use Project Server 2007 (with SP1 and Infrastructure Update). Recently 2 PMs have complained that their Task Hierarchy was messed up after making relatively minor modifications to their projects like adding a task, saving and reopening. The symptom is that leaf tasks have been re-parented to other parent tasks + empty rows showed up. Has anyone seen this problem? Is there a way to solve this? ashwin ...

Reporting Hierarchy Based Access level
Hi, Currently the access levels are 1. User 2. Business Unit 3. Parent and Child 3. Organizational. But how to define and access right based on reporting hierarchy. e.g. 1. User A reports to User B 2. User C reports to User D User A and User C belong to Business Unit BU1 User B and User D belong to Business Unit BU2 BU1 if the child Business Unit of BU2. How to prevent User D from viewing recods created by User A and allow him only to view records created by User C? ...

How to use a single table database hierarchy with Report Builder?
I have a table called “Units” that contains a single-table hierarchy; each unit has a parent unit except the topmost unit. This is represented in the table using the standard adjacency model: UnitID [Primary Key] UnitDescription …other fields… ParentUnitID [‘Points to’ UnitID in this table via a relationship] For example, here are some rows in the table: UnitID UnitDescription ParentUnitID 7 Total College NULL 5 Non-Academic Depts 7 12 Academic Depts 7 3 Math Dept 12 14 English Dept 12 65 Chemistry Dept 12 Now, what I want...

Sort XML Into Hierarchy
I am generating an xml file off an employees table from a database to use to databind a treeview to on a master page rather than call the db every time the page loads. I need to take this XML and sort it hierarchially so when the treeview gets it, it shows all employees sorted with child nodes for employees who report to them, etc. I have never worked with XML but found enough online to assume an xsl file would do the trick, provided it was written correctly. What I have so far, thats not working, is this. CODE TO GENERATE XML FILE FROM DB DataSet SQLDataset = new DataSet("Employe...

Hierarchy of Calculations
I have been trying to manipulate data from a fairly complex database. I am creating a report that is counting a specified field once it has gone through a query and a couple of filters. The SQL statement became too long for the complete calculation. I have now decided the break up the operation and then calculate the final result from these smaller operations. I am however nervous as to the hierarchy between the first set of operations and the final operation which brings them all together. How can i be sure that the initial operations will be completed before the subsequent operation calculat...

How to replicate full hierarchy of public folders to Ex 2003 from 5.5
We are in the midts of a large conversion between 5.5 and 2003. We have thousands of public folders, gigabytes of data. One step is to replicate the entire thing over to our new 2003 server that holds pub folder data. When selecting instances, it (ESM) only lets me select one at a time to replicate. Is there a way to force the entire contents of a 5.5 public folder server to a 2003 server? Its all under one container (site name) - one would think you could select it and specify "all subfolders" or something like that. I can't see it in ESM. Don't want to trust using...

error when sending public folders hierarchy !
Dear all , i'm having problem when i'm trying to send hierarchy from server A to server B public folders and i get the following error : The microsoft exchange Information store service could not find the specified object ID no: c1041722 ESM Also from event log -- > Application i get when i start the information store the following : Error -2147221233 reading property 0x67480014 on object type tbtOwningFolders from database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (ServerA)". Any Ideas ? Thanks! ...

Subject hierarchy examples
Hi, Can you give me some examples of subject hierarchy so that I can understand typical usages. Selcuk Kumbasar how about products product1 technology1 technology2 product2 product3 The subject hierachy just allows you to build up a database which you can use in any way you want. By using the subject database you are able to store consistent data rather than have users enter free form data. "Selcuk Kumbasar" <kumbasar@caretta.net> wrote in message news:OMcfMtzPEHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Can you give me some exampl...

Visualizing the organization hierarchy
Hi all. Is there a way to display the organizational hierarchy of accounts somehow visually, via a report or something? What I mean is, we have a customer who has 4 levels in the customers; the "main" account, under which are the national organizations, under which are the local offices within that country, under which are the separate business units or something like that. It all works pretty nicely (at least that's what they tell me), but it's of course difficult to get a sort of overall view of the structure. So, anyone know of a report / anyone done something to ...

subject hierarchy
I think there is a deficiency with the Subject hierarchy capabilities in MS CRM (3.0). I can define a hierarchy, but I cannot report (or search on it). Let’s say I have a simple two tier subject list. My top tier is Hardware and Software. Under Hardware I have CPU, Monitor and Printer. If I pick a subject for each case, I don’t see a way to get all Hardware cases. I can get all CPU cases, or all Printer cases, or all Monitor cases, but I cannot do a simple search to get all Hardware cases. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help. H...

Front End conversion to Back End for public folder hierarchy looku
We have experienced performance issues on one of our Exchange 2000 Public Folder (PF) servers which was recently installed. We have a large number of public folders spread across a few PF servers. In order to try and reduce the load on the most recently installed server, we wanted to convert our 2 Exchange 2000 SMTP servers (configured as Front End) to Back End so they could perform PF heirarchy lookups locally rather than sending to the most recent PF server. List of steps I performed 1) Add PF store to server 2) Reboot 3) Remove "Front End" check box 4) Reboot The issue now...

Locate a mail folder in hierarchy
Originally posted to "microsoft.public.outlook.general": I'm use to Thunderbird (TB), where the mail folder tree is implemented as a file folder tree outside of the mail reader app. In outlook, I created a mail folder "Subject1" and put into it messages related to Subject1. Obviously, I didn't put it where I thought I did; it was nowhere to be found when I ran into more Subject1 messages later on in my Inbox cleaning. In TB, I can use the file search to look for where the Subject1 folder resides in my hierarchy. I can't do that in Outlook. Is there a good ...

Hierarchy report
Another (hopefully) easy one...I get an employee table from another department with the following pieces of data: deptid mgr name name I now need to create a hierarchy report that will show the mgr name > name relationship. One catch - the "name" field could or could not also manage other "names"...so the report could look like: mgr name > (mgr) name > (mgr) name > name. I think that maybe I'm not getting the data I need from the department. I know about linking the table to itself, but when I tried, I only got the first level mgr names. To get d...

preserve task hierarchy in reports
When extracting task information, the hierarchy of the tasks is not preserved in Project reports (To-Do lists, Who does what when etc.). On generic tasks like "Unit testing" which have no meaning without the hierarchy (which might contain the module name to be unit tested), the reports are lacking information. How do I preserve task hierarchy when generating reports. Isn't this just a problem caused by weak, vague, cryptic task names? The reports lack information because the task names are "generic" (I would say "lazy"). Isn't the solution ju...

Hierarchy Question (sort of long)
I understand hierarchies, but I have a problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have to be able to represent "special false levels" within a hierarchical representation. What I mean is this: Level 1 Boss / \ Level 2 (faux) "Self-Important Subordinate" \ \ Level 2 (actual) Other Subordinate(s) Does anyone have a simple way to do something like this? Create a special employee? For a more accurate answer, p...

Hierarchy Pyramid Chart
Is there a way (Excel 02), to create a chart that is in the shape of a pyramid/triange (i.e. like a pie graph, but in a triangle instead)??? It doesn't seem to be an option, but maybe some type of addin??? Thanks in advance Nevermind - I realized that the pyramid is actually a diagram. So I inserted a Diagram - Organizational Chart instead and it's just what I needed!!! "Keep It Simple Stupid" wrote: > Is there a way (Excel 02), to create a chart that is in the shape of a > pyramid/triange (i.e. like a pie graph, but in a triangle instead)??? > It doesn't ...

Copying PF Hierarchy into Outlook 2003 .ost
Hello, One of our users copied the entire PF hierarchy into their Outlook 2003 Mailbox>Sent Items. They did not have permissions to them so none of the content came over. However, the IPM_Subtree does not have permissions so I am not able to delete it. The subfolders, yes...but not IPM_Subtree. Is there a way to disable the Public Folder hierarchy from being copied if the user does not have permissions to view the content anyway? Thank you, Exchange2003 ...

q) Can pivot page filed represent hierarchy ?
q) Can pivot page filed represent hierarchy ? Hi, Pivot Table Page Fields filter function is not dependent each others. I want to filtering like hierarchy. A hierarchy is a system of organizing people into different ranks or levels of importance, for example in society or in a company. for example, pivot's page field have three columns: address1, address2, address3 address1 is State address2 is City address3 is Street therefore add1 > add2 > add3 Address1 is filtered by a item and click addrss2's filter button address2's itemlist is not filtered by address1's...

Ho do I define a default view for entire mail folder hierarchy
I do not like the grid line and general layout of Outlook 2003's standard view. I can see how to switch off the lines and get the view I like but despite redefining a view using : VIEW > ARRANGE BY > CURRENT VIEW > DEFINE VIEWS I can't see any item in the list that will define a new 'standard view' for all of my other 200 or so folders. It looks as is the predefined 'messages' view is used by Outlook 2003, I want to define my own. It's crazy to set each folder to my preferred view one-by-one. How do I set a new default view? ...