Query criteria: field is empty

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to create a
successful search for it.

I'm trying to generate a simple query which brings up all records
where field X is empty. In reality, this is the "Invoice paid" (date)
field and the query will bring up all unpaid invoices.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

0
paulkaye
10/18/2007 11:10:47 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

In query design, in the Criteria row under this field, enter:
    Null

"paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to create a
> successful search for it.
>
> I'm trying to generate a simple query which brings up all records
> where field X is empty. In reality, this is the "Invoice paid" (date)
> field and the query will bring up all unpaid invoices.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

0
Allen
10/18/2007 11:43:03 AM
Perfect - thanks!

On Oct 18, 1:43 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid> wrote:
> In query design, in the Criteria row under this field, enter:
>     Null

> Tips for Access users -http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>
> "paulkaye" <paulmjk...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to create a
> > successful search for it.
>
> > I'm trying to generate a simple query which brings up all records
> > where field X is empty. In reality, this is the "Invoice paid" (date)
> > field and the query will bring up all unpaid invoices.
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Paul

0
paulkaye

Timer for Queries?

Erratic results from query criteria

Update Query ?

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

field highlight
i have an account spreadsheet. with a column heading reading status. How can i tell excel to highlight all cells containing status "I" fo inactive in red, and status "A" for active in green -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You would use Format>Conditional Formatting for this. Select the column in question(I'll assume A). Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: enter =A1="I" Format>Pattern Red>OK Add =A1="A" Format>Pattern Green>OK Note: you can use up to three conditional formats(four if you count...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

Removing a field From a Pivot Table
I'm working with a pvt table in excel. Right now there are several fields in the pvt table, including the month different entries are made and the account that made them. When i hit the show detail button in the pivot table i get the detail all of the entries grouped by month and by account on a separate sheet. I want to continue to do this, but i want to also be able to get a second view where i hit the show detail button and only see the detail grouped my account (month is either hidden or totally removed from this list of data in the pvt table and the rows that composed the different...

a count field in a query?

Multiple criteria
Ok I have a workbook I am working on for someone else and my formulas will not work. Any help would greatly be appreciated. =SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C59>=5900),--(C4:C59<=5999)) this works like a charm but I need to use this plus (e4:e59="g-shift"). I need the first formula to be the condition to count the second formula. so basically i want if c4 has 5950 and E4 has g-shift then I get 1 and if e4 is blank then i get 0. Everything I have tried says that the formula is wrong. Did you try: =SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C59>=5900),--(C4:C59<=5999),--(e4:e59="g-shift")) I...

Sort by date field
I am using Windows XP and Access 2000. I have two tables Tbl-TrainingWaiting and Tbl-TrainingSchedule. I have a form called Frm-TrainingWaiting which has the table Tbl-TrainingWaiting as the Record Source. I use =TRACourse1.Column(1) in the Control Source of a text box to display the date held in the Tbl-TrainingSchedule table. I am trying to make the form Frm-TrainingWaiting sort on the date field. Can this be done? Thanks you in advance for any help. Richard "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:560D5293-F2B4-4FA9-B...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

why does Word display my field codes upon opening?
I am using Office 2007, and version 11 of Reference Manager. When I open my document, both the Reference Manager fields and the page numbers display with the cryptic words in [brakets]. I must Select All and 'toggle field codes' every time. Can I have Word open with the fields already 'toggled'? Office Button>Word Options>Advanced then uncheck the "Show field codes instead of their values" in the Show document content section of the Word Options dialog. -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unle...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

"Changed by" Column is empty
Outlook 2003/Exchange 2000 Hi, in my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty throughout all folders. When I change to my Team Mailbox, the "Changed by" column has the desired information. Even when I move a mail from the Team Mailbox to my mailbox, the "Changed by" column remains empty. Is this a bug or I am doing something wrong. Thank you very much. Christoph ...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

Is it possible to count words in a memo field
Hi is it possible to count the number of times the words "Invoice Chased" has been entered in a memo field? If it is how do I go about it? Thanks Bob Where: MField is the name of your memo filed SField is the search string SFieldCount is the number of occurances of the search string SFieldCount = (Len([MField]) - Len(Replace([MField], SField, ""))) / Len (SField) You're replacing the search string with a zero length string, comaparing the length of the memo field before and after the replacement(s) then dividing the difference by the length of the search stri...

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

Use VBA to update custom field on Collection Main screen
I've modified the Collection Management main screen by adding a field to display the e-mail address linked to the AP address ID. The code to update that field fires after the user tabs away from the customer ID field. However, if the user wants to use the VCR buttons at the bottom of the screen, they have to click twice to go to the next record. When they do that, the field doesn't update itself. I know I am probably being dumb, but am having a huge mental block on how to get that field to update itself when the user advances to another record on the screen. Any assistance is appr...

Dynamic Query
Hi! I am trying to dynamically modify my pass-through query containing a procedure call with 2 parameters. When I run my access app, I get this error: "Object or provider is not capable of performing reuqested operation." Below is my access code: Dim varItem As Variant Dim strSQL As String Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog Dim cmd As ADODB.Command Dim strMyDate As String, dtMyDate As Date dtMyDate = CDate([Forms]![ySalesHistory]![Start Date]) strMyDate = Format(dtMyDate, "yyyymmdd") strSQL = "procCustomerSalesandPayments '" & s...

null fields in Message Tracking logs
The Message Tracking logs for our SBS 2003 exch. server contain null values for the client-ip and host-name fields. Is there a reason whe this would be so? Are we missing some component which would populate these fields? Thanks! ...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...