Query Ascending Question

In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last, now
its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob

0
Bob
4/13/2007 8:34:32 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

SELECT SomeTable.*
FROM SomeTable
ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn;

Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name of
the column on which you want to sort.

--
Brendan Reynolds
Access MVP

"Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnf6a$1me$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last, now
> its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob

0
Brendan
4/13/2007 9:51:51 AM
Or if it really is blanks, and not nulls,

SELECT SomeTable.*
FROM SomeTable
ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), SomeColumn;

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SELECT SomeTable.*
> FROM SomeTable
> ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn;
>
> Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name of
> the column on which you want to sort.
>
> --
> Brendan Reynolds
> Access MVP
>

> "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnf6a$1me$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>

>> In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last,
>> now its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob

0
Douglas
4/13/2007 10:15:47 AM
Yes I meant to say something about what exactly is meant by 'blank' in this
context, but forgot. Thanks Doug.

Bob, the issue Doug and I are discussing here is whether those 'blanks' are
null values, empty strings, strings of spaces, or some combination of the
above.

--
Brendan Reynolds
Access MVP

> Or if it really is blanks, and not nulls,
>
> SELECT SomeTable.*
> FROM SomeTable
> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), SomeColumn;
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>> FROM SomeTable
>> ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn;
>>
>> Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name
>> of the column on which you want to sort.
>>
>> --
>> Brendan Reynolds
>> Access MVP
>>

>> "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnf6a$1me$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>>

>>> In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last,
>>> now its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob

0
Brendan
4/13/2007 10:30:49 AM
Thanks Douglas I added a field at the start and it seem to do the trick
Expr1: [Cb7] Is Not Null, it gave me a -1 on info in Cb7 and then I did a
ascending on Expr1 and on Cb7, Bingo
Have another problem, I have another query that I want to sort by numbers I
have a Value Field 1;2;3;4;
but on my sort I am getting
Any Help Thanx Bob

> Or if it really is blanks, and not nulls,
>
> SELECT SomeTable.*
> FROM SomeTable
> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), SomeColumn;
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>> FROM SomeTable
>> ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn;
>>
>> Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name
>> of the column on which you want to sort.
>>
>> --
>> Brendan Reynolds
>> Access MVP
>>

>> "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnf6a$1me$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>>

>>> In a Ascending order on a query how can I get the blanks to come last,
>>> now its ordering blanks first then a,b,c,...Thanks for your help...Bob

0
Bob
4/13/2007 10:32:06 AM
relative to the sort in which the records are coming out in the
strange order.

That is because the field is defined as a text field and not a numeric
field. You will have to either change it to numeric or load the info
into yet another field that is numeric. or sort on a dynamically
created field that converts the above field to numeric.

Ron

0
Ron2006
4/13/2007 12:24:17 PM
The implication is that the field is Text, not Numeric.

Try

 SELECT SomeTable.*
 FROM SomeTable
 ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), Val(SomeColumn)

--

"Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnm2f$dkr$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Thanks Douglas I added a field at the start and it seem to do the trick
> Expr1: [Cb7] Is Not Null, it gave me a -1 on info in Cb7 and then I did a
> ascending on Expr1 and on Cb7, Bingo
> Have another problem, I have another query that I want to sort by numbers
> I have a Value Field 1;2;3;4;
> but on my sort I am getting
> 1
> 12
> 2
> 3
> 33
> 4
> Any Help Thanx Bob
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>> Or if it really is blanks, and not nulls,
>>
>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>> FROM SomeTable
>> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), SomeColumn;
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>>> FROM SomeTable
>>> ORDER BY [SomeColumn] Is Null, SomeColumn;
>>>
>>> Where 'SomeTable is the name of your table and 'SomeColumn' is the name
>>> of the column on which you want to sort.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brendan Reynolds
>>> Access MVP

0
Douglas
4/13/2007 1:05:49 PM
Douglas where do I put this code....Thanx Bob

> The implication is that the field is Text, not Numeric.
>
> Try
>
> SELECT SomeTable.*
> FROM SomeTable
> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), Val(SomeColumn)
>

> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnm2f$dkr$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Thanks Douglas I added a field at the start and it seem to do the trick
>> Expr1: [Cb7] Is Not Null, it gave me a -1 on info in Cb7 and then I did a
>> ascending on Expr1 and on Cb7, Bingo
>> Have another problem, I have another query that I want to sort by numbers
>> I have a Value Field 1;2;3;4;
>> but on my sort I am getting
>> 1
>> 12
>> 2
>> 3
>> 33
>> 4
>> Any Help Thanx Bob
>>
>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>>> Or if it really is blanks, and not nulls,
>>>
>>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>>> FROM SomeTable
>>> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), SomeColumn;
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>>

>>> "Brendan Reynolds" <brenreyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Bob
4/13/2007 11:13:00 PM
Thanks I just changed table field to numbers and all fine..Thanks Bob

"Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evp2l3$t05$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Douglas where do I put this code....Thanx Bob
>
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
>> The implication is that the field is Text, not Numeric.
>>
>> Try
>>
>> SELECT SomeTable.*
>> FROM SomeTable
>> ORDER BY IIf(Trim(Len([SomeColumn] & " ")) = 0, 1, 0), Val(SomeColumn)
>>

>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>> http://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no private e-mails, please)
>>

>> "Bob" <xxx@xx.xx> wrote in message news:evnm2f$dkr$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>> Thanks Douglas I added a field at the start and it seem to do the trick
>>> Expr1: [Cb7] Is Not Null, it gave me a -1 on info in Cb7 and then I did
>>> a ascending on Expr1 and on Cb7, Bingo
>>> Have another problem, I have another query that I want to sort by
>>> numbers I have a Value Field 1;2;3;4;
>>> but on my sort I am getting
>>> 1
>>> 12
>>> 2
>>> 3
>>> 33
>>> 4
>>> Any Help Thanx Bob
>>>
>>> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message

0
Bob

Timer for Queries?

Question Re: Drop Downs
Hello and Good Day: I have a spreadsheet that contains drop downs menus. In order to my work I would like to be able to correlate one drop down to another if that makes sense. For example: Column A Column B Column C Column D Column E XXXX Name1 Phone1 Name2 Phone2 Essentially if I select a name from column B, I want my worksheet to populate the matching phone number into column C automatically. I current have the Names and Phone numbers in a workbook that I have ...

Erratic results from query criteria

Search folder question (OL2k3)
Hi, the search folders are really a good new feature in Outlook 2003. However, I haven't found a way to do these the following important things: - I use the For Follow Up search folder a lot. When I see a flagged message there, I often want to see the context of that message; that is, the folder where it is located. I have the folder name displayed in the In Folder column, but it's only the folder name, not really the location in the folder hierarchy. And in any case I have to manually browse to the folder. I'd like something like an item on the right-click menu that says "O...

Question 10-10-03
How can I designate the firt row on a Excell Sheet to stay at the top of the document while I scroll up and down the document? Thanks ...

Update Query ?

Two questions
Hey everyone, I have two questions: 1. I have created a patient manager database that tracks appointments, billing, and medications. I have 4 subforms within a main form. I want to be able to create one main record with subrecords for appointments, billing, and medication associated to it. Can this be done? 2. Everytime I am in the database, other users can't save their records. How do I change this and still limit user access? Thank you in advance. -- bhsvixon On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:59:02 -0800, 1encapdiva <tgrandberry@encapomaha.org> wrote: >Hey ever...

Hopefully my last question!
Newbie here! How do i get this formula to add the contents of BQ4 just before the final *0.09615 calculation? its gotta be so simple i'm seeing past it. =SUM(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G4:BJ4)-COLUMN(G4),5)=0,IF((G4:BJ4<>"")*(G4:BJ4>C4),C4,G4:BJ4)))*0.09615 Many thanks! steve One way: =SUM(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G4:BJ4)-COLUMN(G4),5)=0,IF((G4:BJ4<>"")*(G4:BJ4>C4), C4,G4:BJ4)),BQ4)*0.09615 In article <430f7c8b$0$22903$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>, "r.p.mcmurphy" <redleadertwoSPACE@SPACEntlworld.com> wrote: > Newbie here! How...

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

conditional formula question
I have a spreadsheet which shows, in column A, several phsical location of a variety of insect traps. In other words, I have replicates o several trap types arranged by field location. In column B I have th corresponding number of each trap type at each location. Is there a wa to construct a formula which will return the sum of all of trap type 'x from all locations. Here is an excerpt from the worksheet: Hanley CM Study Traps Biolure 1x 1 L2 (9008) 1 Biolure 10x 1 Megalure 1 DA (8693) 2 Combo (9010) 2 DA20 (8997) 2 Da20/CM3 (9228) 2 Val...

Help question update from 2000 -2003
I am updating from office 2000 to 2003. I am not comp. savy but trying to do a safe update and some advice. I backed up all office files, contacts e-mailss etc to a PST. When I installed 2003 disk it asked me to remove 2000 first. So I asume the procedure I would do is to add/remove 2000 install 2003 and import back the PST. I thought since this was a update that it did everything Automactily Should my 2000 PST back up, restore to the 2003 office when installed ? If I remove 2000 I have no disks to reinstall if things should go south Is there away I can have both copies on ...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

a count field in a query?

XmlSerializer question...
Hi All, When using XmlSerializer is there anyway of keeping "xsi", "xsd" namespaces and PI appearing in the xml file ? <?xml version="1.0"?> <myClass xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" Name="Test" Visible="false" /> Just want a simple clean one like the following... <ColumnInfo Name="Test" Visible="false" /> Thanks, Maersa wrote: > When using XmlSerializer is there anyway of keeping "xsi", "xsd"...

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

If Function Question
I have a listbox in cell a15 with a Yes & No. If user picks "yes", lock cell a16 because the question will not be applicable, and I don't want the user to choose any option. How do I do that in excel? Thanks! Damil, Copy the code below, right-click the sheet tab, select "View Code" and paste the code into the window that appears. Your worksheet should be protected, with a password - the password assumed below can be changed. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const PW As String = "Password" If Target.Addr...

Question about Blanket PO
I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains items. However, when printed out it is blanket. What is causing this error? Thanks in advance! do the quantities ordered exceed the quantities received for this PO? -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "dianeha" wrote: > I have a Blanket purchase order that when viewed on the screen contains > items. However, when printed out it is blanket....

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

CListCtrl's GridLine question
hi,everyone. My Application want use CListView to show Data with Grid style. So I create ,and put the CListCtl's style as follow: cs.style |= LVS_REPORT | LVS_EX_GRIDLINES; .. But the Grid line don't show . why? In fact, as this example so many in internet ,but I can't resolve this problem. Anyone get me out. Thank you in advance! LVS_EX_GRIDLINES is an extended style. Try the following in your view's OnInitialUpdate() function. void CYourListView::OnInitialUpdate() { CListView::OnInitialUpdate(); CListCtrl& listCtrl = GetListCt...