queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compar

I have a project to complete where the end user wants me to write several
queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compare them to
data in another using access. He also needs a report written based on the
findings of which data meets certain criteria within those queries. I think
the report part will be pretty easy, but can someone give me some suggestions
on what would be the best way to create the queries in access?

Thanks
Da Chosen One
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:22:01 -0800, Da Chosen One <Da Chosen
One@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Your question is too vague to answer. Can you reduce the problem to
the essentials, describe the tables involved, and what you want the
output to be?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I have a project to complete where the end user wants me to write several
>queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compare them to
>data in another using access. He also needs a report written based on the
>findings of which data meets certain criteria within those queries. I think
>the report part will be pretty easy, but can someone give me some suggestions
>on what would be the best way to create the queries in access?
>
>Thanks
>Da Chosen One
0
Tom
1/11/2010 3:38:18 AM
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:22:01 -0800, Da Chosen One <Da Chosen
One@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a project to complete where the end user wants me to write several
>queries which pull data in multiple "rows" in one table and compare them to
>data in another using access. He also needs a report written based on the
>findings of which data meets certain criteria within those queries. I think
>the report part will be pretty easy, but can someone give me some suggestions
>on what would be the best way to create the queries in access?
>
>Thanks
>Da Chosen One

By using the "New Query" button on the database window, and adding the
appropriate tables, fields, criteria, and join lines. You would then base the
Report on the query.

For help doing so please post enough information that someone who cannot see
the database might have a chance to help.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Counting Rows
Hello, I am trying to do the following: 1. Count populated Rows using VB 2. If the # of populated rows is less than 2 post a message box dsiplaying the count 3. If the # of populated rows is greater than 3, continue on with the rest of the macro. Anything you can do to hlep is greatly appreciated. This will look at the last populated cell in the desired row. Sub countrowsincolA() mc = 2 '"a" x = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row If x < 2 Then MsgBox "Only " & x Else 'goon MsgBox "oh boy" End If End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel S...

Refernce 2 sheets & same columns & rows
Is it possible to do the following... Sheet 1 Sheet 2 A B C D A B C D E F G H 2 3 5 5 4 7 1 1 1 1 1 1 80 A 61 2 8 1 # 61 3 6 B 61 4 4 2 62 5 Ok, Sheet 1 has alot of forumlas to get the #'s in Column A,...

How do i enable all 1,00,000+ rows in excel 2007
Excel 2007 as more than 1,00,000 rows, but in our organisation setup i see only 65536 rows. How do i enable the remaining. Try to save as Excel 2007 * -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "free_ur_mind" <freeurmind@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A988D314-8344-4CE2-B658-C6FAC58D8B95@microsoft.com... > Excel 2007 as more than 1,00,000 rows, but in our organisation setup i see > only 65536 rows. How do i enable the remaining. .... and then close the file, and then reopen it. You can change the default file format in Office button ...

Group By Query
Hello. I need a little help. Is there a way to find out which records were grouped in a group by query, and maybe flag that record with a specific tag for example in this scenario: ID Amount Name 1 123 First 2 123 First 3 123 F-irst 4 345 Second 5 345 Second 6 345 Secon-d ....... ....... If I put this table in a group by query and Sum the amounts, I take the LastOfName and LastOfID then I get something like this: ID Amount Name 3 369 F-irst 6 ...

Rows in an Excel worksheet
What limits the size of an Excel worksheet Why 65537 columns and 256 Rows? By how many bits it takes to store the number of rows or columns. 256 is 2^8 (one byte) 65536 is 256 x 256 or 2^16 (two bytes) To change this would take a redesign of Excel and almost certainly much bigger files. So it is a "Specification Limit" and you will find "specification limits" if you look in HELP.- --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvp...

Convert Rows data
Hi there, I have the following sample data: PARTNUMBER QTY RATe PRUN VALID_FROM_VALID_TO ZWR1 0.1095 USD 1 20050512 20050526 XREZ12 0.1095 USD 1 20050527 99991231 is it possible to put this data in the following: 20050512 20050526 20050527 99991231 ZWR1 XREZ12 0.1095 0.1095 USD USD 1 1 So basically make the exis...

Moveing rows
I have to move a block of rows in order to have the spreadsheet in the order I want. I did a move and paste to move the rows and the existing rows ware overwritten. How do I move rows and not have them overwrite existing rows? Thanks, Dennis If you do ctrl + x and then select where you want it, then right click and select insert cut cells or copy and do it, then after you are sure you got it right delete the original -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you...

Printing hidden rows or columns
Is it possible to print hidden columns? My users have a column they do not want to see on the screen but want it to print out for hand writing in the column as there are not computers, laptops, or PDAs available at this time. Thanks for your time. The only way I know to do this is to have a macro run when you want to print. The macro would unhide the column, print the range, hide the column again. All this can be done in the background so the user would never see that column. Post back if you want to pursue this. HTH Otto "ramona" <ramona@discussions.microso...

Minimizing Rows of with similar data
I am using Excel 2007. I have 3 columns A, B, and C such as below: TU10-10 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-10.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-11 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-11.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-12 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-12.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-13 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-6 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-6.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-7 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-7.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-8 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-8.5 TU10 Tung...

Code to delete rows excluding Header if not = to
Good morning I have the following code to delete all rows that do not contain the following two variables, in column P, "cw" and "ea". Set ws = ActiveSheet For p = ws.Range("P65536").End(xlUp).Row To 1 Step -1 If ws.Cells(p, 16) <> "cw" Then If ws.Cells(p, 16) <> "ea" Then ws.Rows(p).Delete End If End If Next It works very well apart from the fact that it deletes the Header row. Please can someone assist me in modifying this code so it does not delete Row 1 (the header row). T...

how do i increase the rows in a excel balance sheet?
i've prepare a balance sheet for my company.In the excel balance sheet i can't enter more then 12 rows. what can i do/ "dass" <dass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33689BBB-8071-4E51-8D31-17579EB2BFF5@microsoft.com... > i've prepare a balance sheet for my company.In the excel balance sheet i > can't enter more then 12 rows. what can i do/ Could you be a bit more specific? Excel (at least in 2003 and prior) has over 60 THOUSAND rows. What EXACTLY do you mean by "can't enter more than 12 rows"? Excel 95 and earlier h...

Selecting alternate rows
I have a large file (Excel XP) with about 300+names and related details. I need to break it into 2 files but I need to select alternate rows for each file. It may come out to every 3rd row to work into 3 files. Is there a quick way to do this rather than tediously select each alternate row, copy to the new file and delete from the old file? Many thanks for your help. Norm. Many thanks - I shall give it a go. If I have a problem, I'll get back to you. Norm. "B. R.Ramachandran" wrote: > Hi, > > You can break your data into two worksheets as follows: > >...

collapsing rows in Excel
Hello: I exported a spreadsheet from a SmartList that I created in SmartList Builder. The SmartList is similar to the defaul Financial Transaction object in SmartList that shows open year journal entries from subledgers such as payables and receivables. The spreadsheet contains the column called "Series". The rows in this column are of course designated by such phrases as "Sales", "Purchasing", and "Financial". For "Sales" rows, I want to have Excel automatically remove data from three columns and "collapse" the data in t...

Graph to only include rows with data in
Hello, I want to make a graph which is based on a table which gets its data from other parts of my spreadsheet - so all the data is made from formulas. Some of the rows at the bottom will be empty, and I want the graph to ignore these empty rows, but to include them if data is added at a later date. Is there a way to point the graph to an area, but to tell the graph to ignore any rows where the formulas return a blank (or Icould make it zeros if that helps). I don't want acres of graph with no columns in either, so it would have to adjust automatically. I'm OKish with VBA, but...

average on rows
can we use average in rows even two rows at the time when number are not in consequent collums meaning there is some spaces between them without having to add each number manually in the function window. -- XP home , Office 97 any or all responses are gratefully accepted and thank you for your time Have you tried? Your description is confusing to me, but AVERAGE() ignores blank cells and text... In article <C2D622EE-D839-4469-9DA9-F264B074BB6B@microsoft.com>, justamailman <justamailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > can we use average in rows even two rows at the...

sorting data with two rows as column headings that reamian as headers
How do stop excell from automatically selecting the two top rows that contain headdings, when I use the sort comand on the data menu. This was not a problem until I allowed workbook sharing. Now I have to select the data manually to exclude the two header rows otherwise the headings are sorted to other rows which I do not want thanks When you access the Sort menu look to see if the "My list has" and Header Row is selected. Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >How do stop excell from automatically selecting the two top rows that contain headdings, when I use the...

Deleting blank rows with formulas in them
I have a spreadsheet that takes data from one worksheet and moves it to several worksheets, depending on a certain value. There are several worksheets where the data has been moved, based on a macro and formula I wrote. There are several rows that will always be blank, however a formula appears in those rows. Is there a way to create a macro that will look at all the "named" sheets individually and find any rows from 8-300 that have a formula in them, but do not contain actual data. For instance, worksheet NEO has formulas that feed off another sheet from row 8-300. H...

HELP! Split cell contents to new rows
I know how to split cell contents to columns, but how do you tell excel to take the cell contents and insert into new rows. Each name is separated by a comma and I need each name to appear in its own row beneath that cell. PLEASE HELP! Copy, paste special-transpose (now in columns). Data - Text to columns. Copy, paste special- transpose back to rows. -- Best Regards, Luke M "nyarce" <nyarce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9E6CDF2-7A05-4337-B0DD-C88FCFF617B4@microsoft.com... >I know how to split cell contents to columns, but how do yo...

Inserting rows #5
I have a spreadsheet that is approx. 200 rows long and I need to insert a new row after each existing row. Please help! Thanks for your time! ASAP Utilities has a feature that does this nicely...........ASAP Utilities is a Excel add-in, and is available free at www.ASAP-utilities.com Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Linda T" <Linda T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E60F5C65-5C65-4127-BFA0-1F07967D4D31@microsoft.com... > I have a spreadsheet that is approx. 200 rows long and I need to insert a new > row after each existing row. Please help! > >...

Need rows in Column A removed if they fully or partially match with any Column B row
Hi There, I have rows of text strings in Column A and in Column B. I need rows in Column A removed if they partially or exactly match with text strings in any Column B row. Your input is appreciated! Alexa You may get better, er, some responses if you describe what "partially match" means. registrations@discountcosmeticsguide.com wrote: > > Hi There, > > I have rows of text strings in Column A and in Column B. > > I need rows in Column A removed if they partially or exactly > match with text strings in any Column B row. > > Your input is appreci...

Number of rows and columns
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that has only 85 rows and columns to AH. After that the spreadsheet is gray. I checked, but there are no hidden rows and the VBA code does not have anything apparent to hide or limit the rows/columns. Could somebody explain how that is done? Thanks in advance. BR, A. Crawford You are in page break preview, click on the view drop down and select normal to see the whole speardsheet Sandy AC wrote: > Hi, > I have a spreadsheet that has only 85 rows and columns to AH. After > that the spreadsheet is gray. I checked, but there are no hidden rows > and the...

Using a formula to determine variable rows in Chart
I am trying to build a standard sheet with a chart. This chart may contain 28, 29, 30 or 31 rows depending upon the number of days in the month the chart is prepared. A database application loads the data into Sheet1, and sheet two contains the graph. The graph always shows 31 days. Sheet1 contains a cell stating the number of days to chart but I am, so far, unsuccessful in using a formula or expression when stating the series range in the chart data properties. It seems the only expression the chart understands is a static range of cells. Because of security restrictions on desk...

How do I put a large (200 plus rows) table into Publisher
Have a large excel membership roster (200+) and have tried to put it into MS Publisher 2003 as a landscape table. I've parsed the list into segments less than 112 rows, but when it pastes it exceeds the page size 8.5 x11, and does not flow like a text box. Is there any way to do this, or will I have to reconstruct the 70 page document into a MS Word document? Richard ...

Importing more than 65359 rows of data
I know there is a way to make excel accept more data. I have done it o other computers but have forgotten the command. Can someone pleas remind me how. Thanks, Jef -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use multiple worksheets???? "jgorski <" wrote: > > I know there is a way to make excel accept more data. I have done it on > other computers but have forgotten the command. Can someone please > remind me how. > > Thanks, > > Jeff > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Hi ...

how do I keep my rows together?
I have two workbooks that I use to store different pieces of information on the same employees. In both workbooks, the first column is the employees' first name and the second column is the employees' second name. After that, the columns contain different pieces of information about the employees. I need to make sure that if I add or subtract an employee from one of the workbooks, he/she is added/removed from both of them, so I tried to make the first two columns in one workbook equal to the first two columns in the other. The problem is that while the cells in the first ...