putting data into multiple tables

Using Access 2002 and would like to enter data into form which will then send
to fields in multiple tables and update them.
Can this be done and how
need basic explanation
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Why do you want to send the data to different Tables?
If The Tables all belong to the same Database. ie you're not dealing with
different back-end systems, you probably have a serious normalization
problem.
Data should normally only have to be in one table in a relational database.

Pieter

"Phillipa" <Phillipa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Wayne
> Have tried to do that but seem to be doing something wrong, not sure if me
> or program.
> get to form but unable to enter anything into it
> What I want to do is put all information onto one sheet then program puts
> it
> into all other sheets into the appropriate fields. I might need "Access
> for
> Dummies" lol.
>
> "Wayne-I-M" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes it is.  One method is to create a query - make sure the data loads as
>> you need it.  If it does create a from based on the query.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne
>> Manchester, England.
>>

>> "Phillipa" wrote:
>>
>> > Using Access 2002 and would like to enter data into form which will
>> > then send
>> > to fields in multiple tables and update them.
>> > Can this be done and how
>> > need basic explanation

0
Pieter
9/28/2007 10:11:45 AM
No just has the field names there and no record areas to input data

"Wayne-I-M" wrote:

> Does it work in the query
>
> --
> Wayne
> Manchester, England.
>

> "Phillipa" wrote:
>
> > Thanks Wayne
> > Have tried to do that but seem to be doing something wrong, not sure if me
> > or program.
> > get to form but unable to enter anything into it
> > What I want to do is put all information onto one sheet then program puts it
> > into all other sheets into the appropriate fields. I might need "Access for
> > Dummies" lol.
> >
> > "Wayne-I-M" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Yes it is.  One method is to create a query - make sure the data loads as
> > > you need it.  If it does create a from based on the query.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Wayne
> > > Manchester, England.

> No just has the field names there and no record areas to input data
Sorry you have lost me with that.

In this case it may be an idea to speak to someone who knows a little about
access and ask them to look at it for you.  (I know thats not what you want
to hear)

Just as a thought - try this
Close all the forms/querys/etc.  Select one of the tables and use the wizard
to create the form/query for you.  Worth a try.

I can't see what your DB looks like so I am not really much use here in this
case.  Some one else may post in with a better answer for you.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Phillipa" wrote:

> No just has the field names there and no record areas to input data
>
> "Wayne-I-M" wrote:
>
> > Does it work in the query
> >
> > --
> > Wayne
> > Manchester, England.
> >

> > "Phillipa" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Wayne
> > > Have tried to do that but seem to be doing something wrong, not sure if me
> > > or program.
> > > get to form but unable to enter anything into it
> > > What I want to do is put all information onto one sheet then program puts it
> > > into all other sheets into the appropriate fields. I might need "Access for
> > > Dummies" lol.

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 02:06:01 -0700, Phillipa
<Phillipa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using Access 2002 and would like to enter data into form which will then send
>to fields in multiple tables and update them.
>Can this be done and how
>need basic explanation

If you're storing the same data in multiple tables - *your table design is
WRONG*.

Storing data redundantly (i.e. storing multiple copies of the same
information) is just what relational databases are designed to *prevent*.

Read up on data normalization and basic database design in:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

A free tutorial written by Crystal (MS Access MVP):
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

and post back (if the question is still relevant) with details of what these
tables are and what you're trying to store in them.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John

format of excel file to be counted as Table for Access
While importing external data, there is an option of importing an excel file in the form of a Table. Though a table in Access also has headings & data below it, what does the utility expect an excel file to contain? Thanks ...

How do I create a combination chart and table with different data.
I am using Windows XP, and Microsoft Excel 2003. I have been asked to create scorecards with charts displaying rates graphically, and an attached table underneath with numerator and denominator data. The combination graphs in the custom charts try to graph and display all the data. Can I create a combination chart with the rates graphically displayed and the underlying numerator/denominator data presented in a linked table underneath the chart? Or do I need to create the graph and table separately? You would do better to make a separate chart and table, because chart data tables ...

Importing data to snow leopard
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Hello! <br> My HD was defect so I could a new one with Snow Leopard. After a lot of trouble I finally succeeded in installing Office 2008 for mac again. But I have no idea how to import the data from Entourage, e.g. the address book. Apart from opening each time I switch on the computer (it didn't do that on Leopard), Entourage is working well again. All of my files were saved (not the applications - these I had to install again), they're in a folder on the desktop but I just do...

Truth Table
OK - I have 6 questions, all of which can be answered either yes or no. Is there a way to build a macro that can determine all 36 possible scenarios for me? For example: 1 Yes Yes Yes 2 No Yes Yes 3 No No Yes 4 No No No 5 No No No 6 No No No .....and so on. We can use other values for Yes and No, say True or False, or "1" or "0", respectively. Any help is greatly appreciated. Victoria WAIT! I think I got it - can someone confirm this is accurate? Sub Macro() Dim lngRow As Long Dim intA As Integer, intB As Integer,...

Transposing Vertical Data to Horizontal Data On Excel
Hello, I would immensely appreciate it if somebody could help me wit this urgent problem I have. A person who drafted a previous document put company info in a vertica manner instead of a horizontal matter. For instance, this worker pu data for two companies, Newco Pictures and Sysco Foods, like this: Newco Inc. John Travers 22 West Elm Street Huntington Beach, CA 92660 Phone: (949) 290-3920 Fax: (949) 231-2093 Email: Travers@earthlink.net Sysco Foods Jane Smith 5432 Westbard Ave. Costa Mesa, CA 92625 Phone: (949) 990-2039 Fax: (949) 420-2093 Email: Jsmith@hotmail.com I would like to effic...

Pivot Table Total
I have a pivot table that pulls data from 2 places. One is a list of categories and the est. cost amount. The second is a pivot table that tracks the cost of each category as the job goes on. The new pivot table lists the categories then has two columns with the est. price and the actual. Is there a way to have the Grand Total subtract the actual from the est. amount instead of adding them? Thanks Chance ...

PUTTING NUMBERS IN A CELL
I AM TRYING TO ENTER A NUMBER THAT BEGINS WITH ZERO'S AFTER I ENTER IT THE ZERO'S DISAPPEAR, HOW DO I KEEP THEM IN Please turn off the CAPS Lock, more than two lines would be extremely difficult to read. Reading caps is annoying. Format the column as text, if the leading zero is important to you then it is an identification not a number. The default alignment for text is left aligned which is also better for most identification "numbers". Credit card numbers are 16 digits, are identification and can not be entered as numbers, ever, because Excel only retains 15 si...

Data Table #3
I am not sure I understand what I want here. The name of the item is Data Table. My customer wants the following info to be completed: Rate 3% Investment ? 2,000,000 Interest ? 60,000 ? 60,000 3.00% In here I would like to see Interest amt for 3.50% the interest variables on the first columns. 4.00% 4.50% 5.00% 5.50% Thanks again Ann Ann, you need to use the "data table" option from the Excel menu. Your spreadhseet is structured perfectly. I assume that the cell to the right of "Interest" is a formaula to calculate interest. The cell to the upper right of y...

chart in one cell showing data for past year
How do I make a small graph that fits in one cell and visually shows the past year's data. Is there an automated way to do it besides manually making the graph and shrinking it down? SVA Here's a link to a post on making chart in a cell. http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_chart_in_cell.htm My download has a VBA procedures to size cells and to make chart and place chart in a single cell. Size of chart depends on size of cell. Kelly O'Day koday**at**processtrends**dot*com "SVA" <SVA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:721D862A-C8B0-4466-A2B8...

How do you sort the data by the month of the date?
Hi, The file has date formate as MM/DD/YYYY and I want to keep it that way. Is there anyway the file can be sorted by only MM? I am trying to sort by Jan, Feb, March...... November, December together. Thanks, Saz Using a helper column is one way. With your data in A1 down put this in B1 and drag down =MONTH(A1) Select columns A&B and sort by column B. Mike "Saz" wrote: > Hi, The file has date formate as MM/DD/YYYY and I want to keep it > that > way. Is there anyway the file can be sorted by only MM? I am trying > to > sort by Jan, Feb, March...... November...

Scale Chart to Print on Multiple Pages
I want to have Excel print my chart over 4 (2 by 2) pages instead of 1 - With a data set this is easy - just increase the font - With charts, it seems to want to scale to 100% only Steve Steve - Put the chart into a worksheet, stretch it to cover a range that prints onto four pages, then print the range. Make sure the chart isn't selected when you print, because then it will revert to printing just the chart, fitted to one page. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Steve Babcock wrot...

Moving data from one table to another
My form moves multiple records of data to a temporary table. Before exiting, the user is prompted to save or cancel these entries. If they choose to save, the data moves from the temp table to the permanent table and the temp table deletes the records. If they choose to cancel, the temp table simply should simply delete the entries. I cannot get this to work. Any help or ideas appreciated. You can empty the temp table just before you use it next time. On your form that moves data to the temp table, just before you insert the data, you have a line of code to delete all the records f...

Check for data in cell
I want to check to be sure the cell selected in column C has data in it otherwise display an error message. Hi oldjay You can use the worksheet event shown below: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) ' Be sure to look at a single cell If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then ' Check if a cell iu column C is selected If Target.Column = 3 Then ' Check id the selected cell is empty If IsEmpty(Target) Then MsgBox "On empty cell" End If End If End If End S...

Excel Data -> Word
So I need help with Office. I have a data sheet in Excel. (NumberID, Name, Addres, Postal Code) and a lot of data for these groups. Now I would like Office to import my data into the right slots in my layout in Word. Example (page1, ID: (data) Name: (data) Addres: (data) PosteC: (data) page2, the same thing again but the data for person with the ID 2 in my excel data, and so on. Please help, I need this for my school project. what you are seeking to do is a mail m...

Matching data in two tables
This is probably pretty rudimentary but I'm doing an Update Query in 2007 and I am having an issue with my criteria. I have two tables: tbl_1 contains a column with a serial number (14,000 rows) . tbl_2 contains a column with user description information that includes the serial numbers I want to match. (45,000 rows) tbl_1 field: 673567 tbl_2 field: FTN 673567 333, Doe John, W, X, Here is my query in SQL: UPDATE tbl_2, tbl_1 SET tbl_2.[Compare Match] = "Match" WHERE (((tbl_2.Descriptor) Like '*' & [tbl_1]![Serial Number] & '*')); I ...

Outlook client & multiple users
I have the desktop Outlook client on a computer. I want to set up another user to use the Outlook client. I logged in as the new user, opened Outlook, went to the Com Add-ins window, selected the crmaddin.dll and clicked OK. I received a runtime error and Outlook shutdown. Is this the correct way to add another user to access the Outlook client? Thanks, -Rick Rick, You will actually need to install the Outlook client while logged on as that used. Just trying to select the addin will not work. Good luck. Mitch blogs.infinite-x.net ...

Is it possible to collect data through emails in Access03 like in
Hi folks, I am amazed by the feature of collecting data through emails in Access 2007. It is powerful and easy to learn. I am working on two offices, one has 2007, another is still using 2003 (and I don't see they are going to change). So I am wondering if I can do the same thing as I do in Access 2003? And how? Thanks a bunch! Casy On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:48:11 -0800, Casy <Casy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: That would be a lot of work, best left to the Access development team. Fortunately you can install the free A2007 runtime at the second office, so at leas...

Parameter Make Table Queries
I have an excel spreadsheet that establishes a link to an Access 2003 DB. I need to be able to run a pre-saved make-table query with 4 parameters that is stored in my DB, and then use excel to run a pre- saved crosstab query off of this table and a few other queries. The results of this crosstab will ultimately be pulled into Excel. I tried changing the make-table into a select and modifying the cross- tab, but because of the parameters and complexity of the cross-tab, it won't work. The first problem is: I "dummed" down my make-table query to eliminate all parameters. Upon ...

Can you put white space outside a textbox?
When I put pictures in my publisher file, sometimes I want captions for the pictures. So I make a tiny textbox that I put under the picture, and type in a caption into that textbox. The problem is that I can make the picture have some space to left and right of it so that text doesn't crowd into the picture, but I can't do that with the textbox containing the caption. Is there any way to prevent outside text from crowding the borders of a textbox? You can move that textbox wherever you need. You don't need to leave space inside when you can steer clear of the textbox itself. ...

Sorting Data & Updating Automatically
I have a list of names with corresponding numbers (sales data) and I a wondering if there is a way that when I change the numbers, the lis sorts automatically and updates itself and ranks from highest t lowest. I know how to do it manually but is there a way to sor automatically? TIA -- sabunab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sabunabu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2939 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49792 So is this not possible -- sabunab -----------------------...

How can I eliminate rows that contain the same data as the row ab.
How can I compare rows in Excel aand eliminate those rows that have duplicate information in them? Use data>filter>advanced filter, select unique records only -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "mjlucas49" <mjlucas49@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56E5DD0C-E9D0-4C25-8956-C96F285D320B@microsoft.com... > How can I compare rows in Excel aand eliminate those rows that have duplicate > information in them? ...

Merging Data #2
How may I merge my data onto a business card format stock, so that I will be able to place individual information on each card. This stock has ten cards to a page and I need to run approx 2500 names. Thank You ! Ken I'm not sure of what you want since I'm not familiar with "business card format stock", but it sounds like a label stock and you want to populate each label. Is that right? This can be done with VBA using a looping code to run through all 2500 names. If you wish, send me a sample of what you are working with and I'll try to help. My email ad...

Save record order in main table
Hi, I have a form which displays four field from a table. On the form I have 4 sort buttons which sorts the form based on the field selected. My table also has a field for a sequence number. Based on the sort order selected I would like the sequence number field for each record in the table to correspond to the record number shown on the form. In other words, based on the sort the first record shown on the form would get a sequence number of 1 in the table, the second record shown would get a 2, etc. Is this possible and if so could someone help with the code. Your help woul...

Where to put SQL statements in VC++ Application
I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in the string table is a good idea. Is there a better place to store these statements?? Thanks in advance for any responses. Dominic Inline in the code, they arnt particually helpful to put in the string table. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com "Those people that think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" Isaac Asimov <dominicgualtieri@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1129050897.519688.176820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I am wondering if putting all my SQL statements in...

Converting horizontal data to vertical data.
I have a worksheet with the following data. account name date checkno payment date checkno payment etc 100 fred 1/1/03 1234 35.45 2/1/03 3445 234.30 The spread sheet columns go to A to IU. What I need is each date,checkno ,payment group to be a new record for that account. The data is going to be populated into a SQL Server db. I have played around with doing a reverse pivot table, but I can't get the results I need. Any ideas on the fastest way to do this, would be appreciated. Thanks -- Dwight Trumbower T Systems Corp www.tsystemscorp.com Dwight, Select the entire table, an...