Protect Source Code

Dear all,

I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the source
code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
permission?
Thanks.

Vensia

0
Vensia
4/17/2007 7:25:25 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi, Vensia.

> I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the source
> code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> permission?

Of course.  All you have to do is all of the following:

1.)  Remove their workstations from the network, including any printers, to
prevent them from transferring files elsewhere or printing a hard copy that
they can take with them.
2.)  Remove any writeable media devices (CD-R/W, floppies, Zip drives, et
cetera), to prevent them from copying and downloading any files that they
can take with them.
3.)  Remove any external ports on the workstation (USB, serial port,
parallel port, modem, et cetera), to prevent them from transferring files
from their workstation to other devices or over the phone line.
4.)  Remove any wireless network cards from their workstations to prevent
them from transferring files over a wireless network.
5.)  Make them work blindfolded, so that they can't see the code and have a
chance to memorize it.
6.)  Don't allow them to talk to each other, to prevent them from hearing
about and memorizing other developer's code.

7.)  Put a video camera on their work areas and hire security guards to
watch them and prevent them from writing any notes that they could take with
them elsewhere, or from taking off their blindfolds, or from talking to each
other.

The other alternatives are to not hire any other developers, or if you do,
hire only honest ones who won't steal your code and will sign a contract
that protects your intellectual property.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact
info.

"Vensia" <vensia2000_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the source
> code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> permission?
> Thanks.
>
> Vensia

Put the developers in locked cells.  Since they're contractors, just
kill them all when the project is done.   There's no other sure way to
get that source code out of their heads.  Same paradigm applies to
permanent employees as they're exactly as trustworthy as the
contractors.  In their case, keep them locked up until their career is
done.  Then kill them, too.  Don't forget that permanent employee you
see in the mirror.

The shorter, less facetious answer is "No".

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"Vensia" <vensia2000_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the
source
> code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> permission?
> Thanks.
>
> Vensia

0
Larry
4/17/2007 12:32:08 PM
rofl

you're fucking crazy dude give all developers all source code

ask them to sign non-compete, non-disclosure forms

try to get your work copyrighted if it's so friggin important

and then use Access Data Projects, because you can ENCRYPT sprocs and

you can't do anything like that with MDB

On Apr 17, 6:34 am, Jerry Whittle
<JerryWhit...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Allow each developer to only work on one thing, like a module or report. Do
> not tell them what the final product is to do. Convince each developer that
> they are actually working on different projects. When everyone is done,
> import all their work into one database and there you are! At the most each
> developer will have a small, useless piece of the puzzle.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Vensia" wrote:
> > Dear all,
>
> > I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the source
> > code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> > permission?
> > Thanks.
>
> > Vensia- Hide quoted text -

aaron
4/17/2007 2:54:31 PM
How big companies like Microsoft protect their source code ?
Thanks.

"Jerry Whittle" <JerryWhittle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Allow each developer to only work on one thing, like a module or report.
Do
> not tell them what the final product is to do. Convince each developer
that
> they are actually working on different projects. When everyone is done,
> import all their work into one database and there you are! At the most
each
> developer will have a small, useless piece of the puzzle.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Vensia" wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the source
> > code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> > permission?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Vensia

0
Vensia
4/18/2007 11:52:20 AM
hi,

Vensia wrote:
> How big companies like Microsoft protect their source code ?
> Thanks.
Have you ever met a Microsoft ex-programmer? I think the kill'em all
after they quit...)

As source code is IP, the only way of protection is a NDA with really
hard contractual penalties.

All technical measures are just obfuscation.

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
4/18/2007 12:11:00 PM
Hello Larry,

If I hire you, I will treat you in accordance with your suggestion. :)

"Larry Daugherty" <Larry.NoSpam.Daugherty@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Put the developers in locked cells.  Since they're contractors, just
> kill them all when the project is done.   There's no other sure way to
> get that source code out of their heads.  Same paradigm applies to
> permanent employees as they're exactly as trustworthy as the
> contractors.  In their case, keep them locked up until their career is
> done.  Then kill them, too.  Don't forget that permanent employee you
> see in the mirror.
>
> The shorter, less facetious answer is "No".
>
> HTH
> --
> -Larry-
> --
>
> "Vensia" <vensia2000_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I hire several temporary developers to help me. Can I protect the
> source
> > code, so they can't take the source code out of office without my
> > permission?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Vensia

0
Vensia

Quicken Password protected
I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my data from Quicken and the program says there is a password for my quicken account that is required, but I never had a password. No way to get past this. Any ideas? If your data file is Q04, Money04 can only deal with Q03 or older. Otherwise, who knows? "Stephen Weiss" <stephenaweiss@comcast.net> wrote in message news:012f01c3cb22$9a957ac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I just got Money 2004 Deluxe, I am trying to import my > data from Quicken and the program says there is a password > for my quicken account that is req...

linking cells in a column (result) to cells in a row (source)
MS XP Pro / Excel 2007: Good day all. I have data in two consecutive rows. The 1st one is text and the second contains formulae which results in values. (Call these the "source") On another sheet in the same workbook I have two columns (Call these the destination) which need to be linked to the source rows if value (other than zero) is present in the 2nd source row. There could be zero value or blank cells within the source rows. I need code to sequentially seek values (other than zero) in the cells in the 2nd row of the source and when found, the next available cell ...

KB917422, get error code 0x80080008
when i search in add/remove programs the program is not there...how do i fix this problem or do I just go ahead and reinstall it as is? I'm not very puter illeterate and can use some help here? -- Theresaft Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Windows XP Service Pack 1) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What problem? KB917422 was released years ago (i.e., 08 August 2006). -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 www.banthecheck.com theresaft wrote: > when i search in add/remov...

Password Protect Outlook #2
I work in an offcie environment and sometimes have to leave my PC unattended for just a few minutes. Unfortunately some confidential emails have been read by my staff and I need a way of safeguarding them other than turning off the PC, is there any way I can password protect access into my Outlook 2000, so all I do is close Outlook. (Sorry still operating under W95) Many thanks You can set a password on a Personal Folders File. If the folder list isn't visible in Outlook, click View | Folder List. Right-click the root folder (usually "Personal Folders" or "Outlook T...

protecting outlined data
I want to be able to use the expand/collapse function in outlines when the worksheet is protected. Copy this macro in a normal module It will run automatic when you open the workbook You can also use the workbook open event Sub auto_open() With Worksheets("sheet1") .Protect Password:="rbelecki", userinterfaceonly:=True .EnableOutlining = True End With End Sub Look in the VBA help for more information about protect(userinterfaceonly) -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "rbelecki" <rbelecki@l...

How to protect 2. axis in an Excel Chart to stay if data changes
A Pivot table is created on Tab1 in an Excel workbook. On Tab2 there is a Line Chart created with data from Tab 1 using 2 axis. If data in Tab1 change the 2nd axis on Tab 2 disappears, jumps ober and overrules axis 1. How can I protect chart area with 2 axis being able to change referring data in the pivot table. ...

Password protection on split database
I have a database which is split into front end and back end. The front end is password protected but the backend isn't Is it possible to protect both with the same password? I've tried protecting the backend with a password but when I open the front end it can't "see" the backend. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Put a password on the backend, then, after opening the front-end, use the Linked Table Manager to update the links (just like you would if you had moved the backend). You should be prompted for the 'missing' password during this process. You should only...

Protection
Hi everyone OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there a way that I can put a password for my profile on Microsoft outlook so that no one can read the new AND the old messages found in my inbox? You can put a password on your PST file, presuming you use a PST file... Emad Kamel wrote: > Hi everyone, > OK my problem is I am using an offie computer that everyone has > access to and we cannot - and do not want to - change this. Is there > a way that I can put a password for my profile on Micr...

activex with dotnet code
I'm not sure I'm in the right ng but couldn't find a better one... I want to build some activex with dotnet code. Is that possible with the interoperability mechanism that is supported in win32 native and dote net code? Regards Marom On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:27:06 +0200, "Marom" <marom@rans.com> wrote: >I want to build some activex with dotnet code. Is that possible with the >interoperability mechanism that is supported in win32 native and dote net >code? I think it is possible. The key here is ClassInterface attribute (you can choose ClassInterfaceTy...

CANNOT PROTECT
Trying to password and read only protect a Microsoft Word docuement that is embedded in Excel. When I open the "protected" document, the read-only prompt does not appear...and I can still make changes and close the docuement. HELP! Try this: create the document directly in word, protect it and save it to disk. Then copy the text you want and past it special as an OLE object in excel Peter ...

Tax codes does not exist
I have a problem with the first pay run on payroll, this is a new group of employees, but when I tried to calculate the checks, the system shows me the message: "Tax codes does not exist for this employee", I do not understand this message because this group of employess has the same set up than the rest. What can I do to solve this situation? -- Jorge R. ...

How to protect cells?
I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on the same sheet, also protect a range of cells (E2:E24) from everyone but me. Is this possible? Thanks. Mark, Please don't multipost. See the thread in .programming. John "Mark F." <m7829@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FSzQb.10797$6o4.894@fe2.texas.rr.com... > I would like to protect a range of cells (A2:D24) with a password for a > group of users that would make changes to cells in this range. Then on > the same she...

Spreadsheet password protection
How do you password protect a spreadsheet. I can't find anything in the help section. You can prevent un authorised access by giving a password to open the workbook itself, so that no one else can open it (Go to Tools, Options and then Security Tab). You can do it there if you have already saved the file, or you can go to "save as" then "Tools" and "General Options" where you can give password. On the other hand you can protect work sheets and ranges for different people by using "Tools" and then "Protection" Tab -- M Imran Buha...

How to Activate "Show all" in a Protected Shared Workbook
Hi, I created a protected and shared workbook in Excel 2003 ,the default Filter Option is "Auto Filter" how can I use the "Show All" in Filtering.? even I unchecked the "Filter Settings" in "Tools-> Share Workbook -> Advanced -> Include Personal View " but it did not work. Thanks. You can't. If the workbook were not shared, then you could create your own macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the showall and reprotects the worksheet. But with the workbook shared, you can't change the protection of a shee...

Password protected sheet access
I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. How do I access this sheet? Ps: the "read only" option is not available. Thanks, Rivane. Hi Rivane Is this the password for opening the file, or the one for unlocking locked cells in the already open sheet ? Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Rivane Cardim" <rivane.cardim@exxonmobil.com> wrote in message news:0a8801c35dae$a03275a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet protected with a unknown password. > How do I access this sheet? > > Ps: the "read only...

Protecting a Worksheet
Does anybody know how to protect a workbook so that a user CANNOT unhide a sheet, CANNOT add rows to the viewable sheet, CANNOT alter locked cells, but CAN add text to a comments column which will expand and Wrap text as the comments increase in size? I understand how to protect/unprotect locked cells, but I cannot find the right combination for the above functionality. Is it even possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. Jeff When a _Workbook_ is protected (Tools, Protection, Protect Workbook, Structure) sheets cannot be unhidden. When a _Worksheet_ is protected locked cells ca...

wow. an MS source literally claiming that JET HAS BEEN DEAD FOR 6 YEARS? YAY
http://reddevnews.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=1642Desktop Database DanceA new version of SQL Server provides the answer to a desktop databaseengine.by Greg DeMichillieprinter-friendly version PRINT FORMATFebruary 2007For many years, Microsoft had two database engines, the Jet engineused by Access and Visual Basic, and SQL Server. But Jet has beenriding off into the sunset for the better part of six years, helpedalong by the move to the .NET Framework and retirement of VB6. That'sleft a hole in Microsoft's developer platform. The company needed adatabase engine that can be dep...

Excel Sheet Protection
I am trying to protect a spreadsheet from any editing, while allowing the user to use the autofilter and sorting function. I tried checking the "Use AutoFilter" and "Sort" checkboxes in the Protect Sheet dialog box to protect the document. It does allow you to filter records based on selecting a value from the drop down list box of the autofilter, but it does not allow me to sort. Please help! If you have locked cells that are in the range to sort, then checking that box in the tools|Protection|protect sheet dialog won't work for you. You may want to provid...

create a table within an access2007 database using code in a vb.net app ?
Hi, Is it possible to create a table via code (create table ........) in an access 2007 database from a Vb.net 2008 application? Any tips/samples/links on how to do this ? Assuming you have some kind of driver that connects to the Access database, you can execute a DDL query to CREATE TABLE. Here's an example of executing a DDL statement to create a table: http://allenbrowne.com/func-DDL.html#CreateTableDDL The example is VBA code, but the SQL statement would be similar in whatever language and connection you use from VB.NET. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western...

Error code 80200053
I'm with Reanne - I've got the above error code when trying to download an update. Can somebody help please but it needs to be in easy to understand English, not too much tech talk please. -- thanks - Betty Betty wrote: > I'm with Reanne - I've got the above error code when trying to > download an update. Can somebody help please but it needs to be in > easy to understand English, not too much tech talk please. Who is "Reanne"? You may not realize you started your own conversation thread and others may access this conversation differentl...

still looking for help with an If Then Vloop vba code.
This is what I have so far; If tb1.Value <> "" Then Range("J15").Select Do If Ifempty(ActiveCell) = False Then ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select End If Loop Until IsEmpty(ActiveCell) = True ActiveCell.Value = 'here is where i run int problems. the activecell.value needs to be from a vlookup. this is what I a trying, but not working activecell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(tb1.value workbooks("Name").worksheets("Name").Range("a1:c200"), 3, 0) The workbook that I am doing the Vlookup in, is open -- M...

protect a protected worksheet
I have got one Excel sheet which is password protected some of the users know the password , i dont want to allow these users to change some of the columns of the work sheet..but it should be open for me.. Maybe look into just protecting the cells that you do not want to be edited by anyone else. Password protecting a worksheet is scary since if it gets lost or forgotten it is a bear to get it unprotected. You can make the document read only also. Just some ideas. "darshan" wrote: > I have got one Excel sheet which is password protected some of the users know > the pas...

To Norman or Alan Macro About Macros protected Sheets
Hi, Paul again, Sorry but I have a last question. When I type at the end of the Macro code: Sheets("Critical Path"),protect("My Password") What else do I need to type to enable the Auto filter & the Data Sort Thanks Paul. Your post is separated from the original thread. Are you using xl2002+? If yes, I got this line when I recorded a macro protecting a sheet, but allowing autofilter and sort: ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, _ Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, _ AllowSorting:=True, AllowFiltering:=True So... worksheets("cri...

Access Form: No content with JOIN source
Hello NG, I have a form in Access 2003 with some Combobox and Textbox controls. The form has a SQL Stmt as Datasource (click on the dark grey in the Form and choose Properties and Data). If I choose a simple SQL stmt like "Select * From X Where ID=AAAA", where AAAA is a foreign variable, my form works. All data is displayed. If I change the SQL to a JOIN stmnt I get nothing. The form is complete blank. No Textboxes or Comboboxes are displayed. I mean: Not only the content is missing, the controls itself are missing. Do you have an idea how I could change this behavior? ...

Variable chart Source Data Y Values
I can't seem to encode the Y-Values of a chart to have a variable range. (in Excel 2000) I have tried things like: ="INDIRECT( CONCATENATE( "Sheet1!$A$1:$A$", TEXT($B$1,"0") ) )" where $B$1 = 20. I had hoped this would produce (and evaluate) the formula "Sheet1$A $1:$A$20". Instead, I receive "That function is not valid". Does anyone know of a way to do this? The reason I ask is: I have a data series which keeps track of monthly values and estimates the future months' values. This is done using a formula in future month'...