Problems with DataEntry = True

Hi

I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry
attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record
had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details
had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any
details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but
creates another one with the next sequence number.

What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How
can I achieve this?

Yours

Stapes

0
Stapes
8/22/2007 11:32:16 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Are you sure it's deleting the record you just created?

The DataEntry property does not determine whether or not records can be
added: it only determines whether existing records are displayed. Try
changing it to False, and see whether the record's still there.

To control whether or not entries may be added, you use the AllowAdditions
property.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Stapes" <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry
> attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record
> had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details
> had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any
> details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but
> creates another one with the next sequence number.
>
> What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How
> can I achieve this?
>
> Yours
>
> Stapes

0
Douglas
8/22/2007 12:15:49 PM
On 22 Aug, 13:15, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> Are you sure it's deleting the record you just created?
>
> The DataEntry property does not determine whether or not records can be
> added: it only determines whether existing records are displayed. Try
> changing it to False, and see whether the record's still there.
>
> To control whether or not entries may be added, you use the AllowAdditions
> property.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "Stapes" <steve.sta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi
>
> > I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry
> > attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record
> > had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details
> > had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any
> > details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but
> > creates another one with the next sequence number.
>
> > What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How
> > can I achieve this?
>
> > Yours
>
> > Stapes- Hide quoted text -

Hi

No - that's not what I want. I am setting it to data entry because I
ONLY want it to do additions, not display existing records.The Job
records are linked to a Boat record, the dtails of which are filled in
from the originating form. Options to View or Edit the Jobs record are
given elsewhere in the system.

Yours

Stapes

0
Stapes
8/22/2007 1:08:40 PM
> On 22 Aug, 13:15, "Douglas J. Steele"
>>
>> > I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry
>> > attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record
>> > had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details
>> > had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any
>> > details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but
>> > creates another one with the next sequence number.
>>
>> > What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How
>> > can I achieve this?
>>

> No - that's not what I want. I am setting it to data entry because I
> ONLY want it to do additions, not display existing records.The Job
> records are linked to a Boat record, the dtails of which are filled in
> from the originating form. Options to View or Edit the Jobs record are
> given elsewhere in the system.

I would assume that the record is being created when the form's opened
because you have default values assigned for one or more of the fields.
Assuming you're talking about an Autonumber when you say "the next sequence
number", there's no way of reclaiming that value unless you prevent Access
from creating the record first.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas
8/22/2007 1:18:32 PM
On 22 Aug, 14:18, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
> "Stapes" <steve.sta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 22 Aug, 13:15, "Douglas J. Steele"

> > No - that's not what I want. I am setting it to data entry because I
> > ONLY want it to do additions, not display existing records.The Job
> > records are linked to a Boat record, the dtails of which are filled in
> > from the originating form. Options to View or Edit the Jobs record are
> > given elsewhere in the system.
>
> I would assume that the record is being created when the form's opened
> because you have default values assigned for one or more of the fields.
> Assuming you're talking about an Autonumber when you say "the next sequence
> number", there's no way of reclaiming that value unless you prevent Access
> from creating the record first.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)- Hide quoted text -

Hi

I am not interested in reclaiming the Autonumber value - I mentioned
it because Access IS deleting my current record - as required - but
then creating a next one. I want it to delete the record if there were
no details added & close the form. Full stop. Not create an extra
record.

Stapes

0
Stapes
8/22/2007 1:29:43 PM
Access doesn't arbitrarily create records.  If you are getting records
created when you don't want them to be it is because you have code in some
form event that is dirtying the record and that is causing Access to think
it needs to save it.

Your code should NEVER dirty a record.  That means that your code shouldn't
run before the form's BeforeInsert event.  The BeforeInsert event runs as
soon as the user types the first character in the form.  That way, the user
can use the esc key to back out any changes he made or you can have code
that uses the form's Undo method to back out changes.  You shouldn't have to
resort to deleting records.

The first place to check is the AfterUpdate event.  Many people put code
here not realizing that this event runs AFTER the record is updated and so
if you dirty the record in this event, you are essentially causing an
endless loop because Access will need to save the record again to update the
info you just changed and that will cause the AfterUpdate event to run again
and dirty the record... you see where this is going?  I believe that newer
versions of Access detect this recursion and break out of the loop
eventually but it could explain the creation of the extraneous records.

"Stapes" <steve.staple@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am opening a form "Add New Job", which on load, sets its DataEntry
> attribute to true. If I enter no details & close the form, a record
> had been created, so I added code to delete the record if no details
> had been entered. Now when I close the form without entering any
> details, it deletes the current record it has just created, but
> creates another one with the next sequence number.
>
> What I want it to do is create no record if no details are added. How
> can I achieve this?
>
> Yours
>
> Stapes

0
Pat
8/22/2007 2:38:23 PM

> On 22 Aug, 14:18, "Douglas J. Steele"
> <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote:
>> "Stapes" <steve.sta...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > On 22 Aug, 13:15, "Douglas J. Steele"

>> > No - that's not what I want. I am setting it to data entry
>> > because I ONLY want it to do additions, not display existing
>> > records.The Job records are linked to a Boat record, the dtails
>> > of which are filled in from the originating form. Options to
>> > View or Edit the Jobs record are given elsewhere in the system.
>>
>> I would assume that the record is being created when the form's
>> opened because you have default values assigned for one or more
>> of the fields. Assuming you're talking about an Autonumber when
>> you say "the next sequence number", there's no way of reclaiming
>> that value unless you prevent Access from creating the record
>> first.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://I.Am/DougSteele
>> (no e-mails, please!)- Hide quoted text -

> Hi
>
> I am not interested in reclaiming the Autonumber value - I
> mentioned it because Access IS deleting my current record - as
> required - but then creating a next one. I want it to delete the
> record if there were no details added & close the form. Full stop.
> Not create an extra record.
>
> Stapes

No you do not want to delete the record, you want to prevent the
record from being created in the first place. It's a subtle
difference, but an important one.

Access will only create the record when you exit that record, either
by closing the form or moving to another record, having
added/changed data in any control bound to the form's record source,
the table.

What you need to do is to undo any changes made to the form before
moving off that record, unless you have set a flag that the user has
actually added something to one of the form's controls.  Me.Undo is
all it takes. You just need to write some code that captures any
changes that have been made by the user to prevent the me.undo.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.

Bob

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

sync problems

Date problem

Installation Problem!!

Office 2007 - HELP

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...

Problem creating credit card account
When creating a Chase or Amazon.com credit cards I am having this happen to me when it creates the card and I can't figure out how to fix it so there is just one card showing. I attached a jpeg of what I am seeing. It's like it created multiple instances of the card and also show balances of my other cards. I am not sure if it is because these cards are associated with Chase or what. When I had it setup the online service for the card then that is when it creates the other instances. I hope someone can makes sence of this. Thanks! ...

Problems with CRichEditCtrl problems
Hi, I'd like to have some help regarding something I'm having an hard time figuring out. I'm develloping a chat programm where the Output window is a rich edit ctrl (I used CRichEditCtrl in one cases and CreateWindowEx(.."RichEdit"..) in the other one. I use StreamIn to stream in the chat information (since I want to use the rft format). I user \Par to perfrom line skipping, however, for some reason, on the computer of one of my user who's using Windows98, it doesn't not work and instand of seeing the text the way it should be (with the line skipping) the...

OL 2003 registry or installn problem
Outlook 2003 (part of office 2003 suite) opens and forgets password for email accounts. Tried to open tools-email account and I got operation failed due to a registry or installation problem. also can' view Outlook store location, can't open property of folder w/o getting error message tried restart in control panel-mail, can't see any account for any of the profiles. tried restoring form office settings and failed tried repair and no better result what else can I do other than total uninstall / re-install and still keep the app't, tasks, reminders for the m...