Problems with a XP database in 2007

I developed a database in XP that worked fine in XP and 2003 Access
versions (all machines are running Win XP SP2).  The problem occurs in
a form that queries a recordset to assign a new record number (all
through code).  The steps are as follows:
1.  The user opens the form and goes to a new record (the form is
bound).
2.  The user then populates the form as needed and clicks on Save
(custom command button).
3.  The Save button runs code that checks if the ID is null.  If the
ID is null, it opens a recordset looking for the last record and adds
1 to create a new record number (primary key).  Otherwise it just
saves the record. (Office XP and 2k3 run Ok.  I've used this technique
in other databases with no trouble.)

Walking through the code, I see that the Null validation fails because
the form (or Access) is reporting the ID of a previous record (created
when the form was running on an Office XP machine) and this causes
hell with the code that follows the validation.  The user can not
change the value of the id because the field is not selectable and I
was able to reproduce the error on th user machine (which I have right
now).  This behavior seems kind of odd since the value of the field is
null and the code worked OK in the two previous versions of Access
(even on Access 2000 I've used the same technique without trouble).  I
will try checking for me.NewRecord and see if I can work around this
limitation.  Any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

PS

This was my first experience with Access 2007 and I have to say that
it looks pretty.  The new arrangements of buttons took a couple of
minutes to get used to but in all it looks that it was an
improvement.  I haven't tried the rich text property of memo fields
but am eager to do it since so many people ask for it and I really
like to stylize text (at least create lists of items).  One thing I
didn't like as much was the database container window.  I used
Northwind to browse the new functions and I had a really tough time
finding just the tables (I haven't been able to see all the tables yet
although I think I know how to do it now).  The new embedded macros
weren't that friendly since there were no comments and actions weren't
easily recognized (although the same can be said about code, specially
those that deal with API's).  The tabbed views were really good as
each window was readily accessible from a tab and not covered by a
window.

Thanks

Jesse

0
JesseAviles
5/14/2007 1:17:23 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7
After installing Office 2007 on Windows 7 machine, I get no new mail sound, pop up notifications or the new unread mail icon in task bar. Every thing else seems to work fine. Any hints? are the icons in the overflow? -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What v...

Problem with Authentication

Project 2007 Work Field Formula to Exclude Work Done by Resources Not in a Resource Group
I have a workshop task in my project schedule which is worked on by Resources from my company (Resource Group = VENDOR) and resources in the client's company (Resource Group = CLIENT). I need a formula to calculate WORK hours for ONLY the resources in Resource Group = VENDOR. I want to drop any hours that the CLIENT spends on the task and only calculate VENDOR hours. Does anyone have a formula? I am familiar with Project, but have not used formulas before. Could not find a formula to do this in any of the other forums on the net.. Thanks! +------------------------...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Outlook 2000 + Windows Xp on 2000 domain
I have one user who has WinXP installed on his laptop. He has Outlook 2000 connected to an exchange 5.5. When logging into the network the logon script runs and maps various network drives. However when logging into Outlook he gets the exhcange login box. (Username, Domain, Password.) The exchange setting in his profile is set to NT Password Authentication. The account is not locked on the server. If you enter the same details that were used to log into the laptop Outlook will open and get connected to the exchange server. I cannot find anything on the internet about this problem if an...

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Quote won't merge to Word 2007
Attempting to print a quote. Opens up Word 2007 with note to press the CRM button in either the Add-in ribbon or the MailMerge ribbon. It shows up in neither. Macros are enabled. Is this issue isolated to one client? Do you have the CRM Client for Outlook installed? If so you can initiate Mail Merge from the Outlook client as this method does not use a Macro. Regards Dan "mnicks" <mnicks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EF7E431-ADFE-478B-B79F-886F5ACA19EA@microsoft.com... > Attempting to print a quote. Opens up Word 2007 with note to press the ...

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

Any idea on what could cause this on XP?
XP (MCE)on a Dell Dimension C521 with just one user. I cleaned up my personal stuff a bit, sending a few files to the recycle bin. I then went to the recycle bin, looked over the list of files to be deleted and gave the command to empty the bin. I got a noise sort of like a drill running and the message: "Cannot delete Dc1: access is denied", with an [OK?] button. I clicked OK and the machine played the standard flush music for clearing the bin, but when the flush stopped the files still showed in the bin. I repeated the command to empty the bin, this time hiliting ...

Excel 2007 chart text box bug
Just found what looks like a bug with charts in Excel 2007. In Excel 2003 I could add a text box to a chart and then assign a formula to it, say =B30. The value in B30 would then appear in the text box. If I insert say 5 rows and three columns above B30, the fomula would adjust and become =E35. When I do the same in Excel 2007, the formula for the box says as =B30 The workaround is to use range name, ie, =rangename. However, that adds lots of extra steps. And users have to know to do and know that Excel 2007 behaves differently. No logic in the change, so it most likely is a bug. ...

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting