Permissions / Closing MDB left open

I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to
learn...  Let me explain:

I'm a surgical resident.  I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient
census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that
print based on room number or service.  Everything is setup as needed in the
local file.  I've been working on the content of the database on and off for
a year.  Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a
very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file.

Now, to complicate my issue.  Here is the background:

The MDB file will be shared on a windows network - a shared folder.  I don't
have the ability to set permissions for the shared folder - that is done by
the IT department.  Essentially, the IT department would grant access to the
shared folder to each user where the local MDB will be located.

Computer access at the hospital is setup through CITRIX - each individual
user has a unique username/password to login to a virtual desktop.  The
virtual computer has its own user based MY DOCUMENTS folder with shortcut to
network share (where the MDB is located).

There needs to be multiple users that need access to the MDB with the
ability to read - write - print - add new patients, update current patients,
etc.  This leads to my challenge:

If one of the users (my interns) opens the access database and closed the
virtual desktop WITHOUT closing the MDB file - the file will be locked and
unable to be accessed by others for updating (unless the person with the open
file closed it).

CHALLENGE:
How can I create a superuser or admin account that can force the MDB file
closed no matter what user has it opened?

Unfortunately, my IT department is absolutely no help.  Their abilities are
pretty limited to the flow charts for troubleshooting hospital EMR and
nothing really beyond that.

I hope I explained my challenge well.  I think I need a superuser/admin type
setup for local MDB control - however - I'm not really sure if that is a
valid option or if there is better options...?

Thanks in advance!
-brian

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:40:01 -0800, Doc Brian <Doc
Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Sharing an application is one of those REALLY BAD IDEAS. Rather you
should split your application in front-end (everything but tables, and
linked tables) and back-end (tables). Then give each user his own
front-end (e.g. in each user's MyDocuments. Check autofeupdater.com
for a handy tool to keep the FE at the latest version for each user.
The back-end goes in a network share accessible to all.

If you really needed to: you can auto-shutdown an application (in most
cases) using the technique presented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128814

Pretty amazing you are doing all of this while in your spare time :-)
you are trying to become a surgeon.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to
>learn...  Let me explain:
>
>I'm a surgical resident.  I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient
>census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that
>print based on room number or service.  Everything is setup as needed in the
>local file.  I've been working on the content of the database on and off for
>a year.  Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a
>very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file.
>
>Now, to complicate my issue.  Here is the background:
>
>The MDB file will be shared on a windows network - a shared folder.  I don't
>have the ability to set permissions for the shared folder - that is done by
>the IT department.  Essentially, the IT department would grant access to the
>shared folder to each user where the local MDB will be located.
>
>Computer access at the hospital is setup through CITRIX - each individual
>user has a unique username/password to login to a virtual desktop.  The
>virtual computer has its own user based MY DOCUMENTS folder with shortcut to
>network share (where the MDB is located).
>
>There needs to be multiple users that need access to the MDB with the
>ability to read - write - print - add new patients, update current patients,
>etc.  This leads to my challenge:
>
>If one of the users (my interns) opens the access database and closed the
>virtual desktop WITHOUT closing the MDB file - the file will be locked and
>unable to be accessed by others for updating (unless the person with the open
>file closed it).
>
>CHALLENGE:
>How can I create a superuser or admin account that can force the MDB file
>closed no matter what user has it opened?
>
>Unfortunately, my IT department is absolutely no help.  Their abilities are
>pretty limited to the flow charts for troubleshooting hospital EMR and
>nothing really beyond that.
>
>I hope I explained my challenge well.  I think I need a superuser/admin type
>setup for local MDB control - however - I'm not really sure if that is a
>valid option or if there is better options...?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>-brian

0
Tom

Protecting workbook on open
I have an excel workbook with multiple sheets which are accessed from a custom menu. What I would like to do is to be able to lock the workbook (or set the open property to readonly) for users who are not authorised, and for those who are to have the workbook as normal read / write access. The usernames are being picked up from the domain so I have those ok, just cant quite figure out the rest. Help much appreciated. thanks Richard You need to keep the sheets protected and only unprotect for certai users. Setting to protect on open will fail if the user disable macros. You also nee...

How can I change worksheet direction from right to left
I want to change the direction of the work sheet in Excel 2007 from left to right and vice versa If you mean you want to change the direction of the cursor on Enter, then click on the round logo top left, select Excel options, select Advanced, and change the direction to Left, Right, Up or Down as you desire. -- HTH Kassie Replace xxx with hotmail "Haitham" wrote: > I want to change the direction of the work sheet in Excel 2007 from left to > right and vice versa I believe the only way is to go through Microsoft Office Tools and make the setting ...

Excel 2007 Recently Opened Filed List
Excel 2007 is supposed to maintain a list of the last 50 opened files. I opened about 45 files at one time and my recently opened list shows only 28 filenames. There's nothing on the screen to suggest that I can scroll to another screen or that the list continues. Has anyone tried this and actually seen 50 files in the recently used list & if so does Excel display them all at once or in multiple screens? Any ideas? Thanks, Tanya The list does not scroll so it will only show 50 files if there is enough room between where the list starts and the Windows task bar. I got 50 to show (...

exporting Sendas permissions in Exchange 5.5
Hi, Is it possible to export the sendas permissions on the objects (mailbox, distribution lists) in Exchange 5.5. The article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188628 says that it is not possible to export the permissions using Directory export tool. I tried to see the header information using admin program in raw mode and tried exporting NT-Security-Descriptor field which gives out junk (or something which i am not able to make any sense out of). Could you guys help me with this? Are there any tools which do this? Thanks Chandrasekhar ...

Managing List Permissions Permission
Hi, I wonder if are there any permission to manage list permissions ? Or the only way for giving this right to some user is giving "manage list" permission. There are some overheads, if i give the user "manage list" permission then he can do a lot like deleting list, adding-changing list columns. So i am looking for a way to give some user distinct permission, so he can give other users permissions on that list. Thanks. Is this resolved by making a user the Owner of a permissions list? From the SP Group Settings screen: "Owner The owner can ...

Find NTFS permissions for an account
We need to use an application that runs as a number of windows services. Those services run under a local user account that was created when the application was installed. We need those accounts to be Windows 2008 Domain level accounts (the services will be set up to access files on other servers, not the way the application is designed, but for up-time reasons we want those files on our fail-over file server). We don't know what permissions were given to the accounts. We could go through manually looking at permissions on every directory to see whether they are there ...

Does not have permission???
The error message states that the user does not have permission yet she is one of the owners of the mailbox. She is set up along with two other to have access to another mailbox. I noticed that under this mailbox, there is not a sent folder nor a deleted items folder. Her own inbox seems to be working just fine. It is only when she goes to send from this other mailbox. Help please. :o( Thank you thank you thank you. ...

how do I open Zero Wireless Configuration (WZC) window ?
Hi, How do I open the ZWC window from my application ? I would like to open the window from my application (even through cmd) so the user will be able to choose the network he/she wants. Im using wlan api (winxp.sp2). Thanks. Bamba. I'm not sure what this window is, but if you can describe how you open it normally it might be possible to figure out what to actually execute to bring it up programmatically. joe On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 04:57:54 -0700, Bamba <Bamba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > > How do I open the ZWC window from my application ? > I woul...

"Help Menu" does not close
How do I close the "Help Menu"? I notice on both Entourage Help and Word Help, that there is no close or hide button. The Help Menu just rides on top of the program until I quit the entire program. I can make the window really small by dragging the corner, but it still sits on top of the main program. I know I have to be missing something simple here, but I have been looking at this for 3 days and do not know how to get rid of it. Thank you, Michael Tall Entourage and Word Help do have a close and maximize button (the minimize button is greyed out). You probably don't noti...

links does not open browser
I am using outlook 2003. when i open a message and clicl on a link a list of my documents opens...not my browser, Where can i reset this relationship? reset web settings - IE's tools, options, programs dialog. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.sli...

I just added several domains to our Exchange 2003 environment. I created a new recipient policy, have external DNS setup properly and we are able to recieve email on behalf of the new domains, for those users that have such email addresses. My question however has to do with the sending of email from these domains. Of course Exchange has a set default/primary email address that all email is sent out from, however I need to enable the users that recieve email from these new domain names to reply back to it from that address using the from field. When I do specify one of these email addr...

Windows Live Mail email mismatch
I have several layers of storage folders. Some of the messages are imported from Windows Mail, others are filed emails put there after conversion to Live Mail. I've always been able to open email stored in these subfolders just fine. However today when attempting to retrieve some sales invoices for my taxes I found that although the subject lines of the emails are correct, opening them shows me a DIFFERENT email than should be in there. The emails still exist - I can find them if I go to the C:Users\(userid)\appdata\local\microsoft\windowslivemail\ folder. However I ...

how do I open message headers no longer with server
I've just had XP installed. Doing so left me with little download left for the month, so I 'downloaded headers only'? and viewed my emails through Yahoo mail and deleted unwanted emails. I've upgraded my download capacity, but now can't open messages which I have 'headers' for, but have deleted in Yahoo Mail. Could you kindly tell me how to open or delete those emails? Thank you. "hooklinesinka" <hooklinesinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFDDA2D1-65BD-403C-9A5D-70F25356F301@microsoft.com... > I've just had XP instal...

open several files in one worksheet
When I open a file into Excel which I say only one sheet it overwrites the first file I opened. I do not want more than 1 sheet but several files opened to it. I have Excel 97. Any answers please. Maybe they're just hidden. You could use alt-tab to toggle between open workbooks or select them from the list under Window (on the menubar). littlebit wrote: > > When I open a file into Excel which I say only one sheet it overwrites the > first file I opened. I do not want more than 1 sheet but several files > opened to it. I have Excel 97. Any answers please. -- Dave Pe...

click before closing
I have this undermention code that i am using is work ok but i will like to add a next code to it. i will like to have a code that will promp the user to click send data to sheet before closing the form Option Explicit Private Sub cmdAdd_Click() Dim iRow As Long Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("main") 'find first empty row in database iRow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, 1) _ .End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row 'check for a part number If Trim(Me.TxtDate.Value) = "" Then Me.TxtDate.SetFocus MsgBox "Please enter a part number" Exit Sub End If 'co...

Making sure data is saved on closing application
Hi, I have built myself the following application from 'Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days' chapter 'Day 14 - Retrieving Data from an ODBC Database' http://serghei.net/docs/programming/c++/ty%20visualC++6%2021%20days/ch14/ch14.htm The application lets you edit and add records to a database (as well as just retreive them). The application uses recordset flags in code to make sure that data is saved if you edit one record and move to another. However, there is no code to make sure new or edited data is saved when the application is exited. After having poked about, I have...

Share Permissions
Hello, I have a requirement to give a server built in account permissions to a share on a another file server. I have not had this requirement before and can't see how to do it or even whether you can. Any help appreciated. "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:858F440D-1A9E-4B44-8E32-CFB9774906D0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I have a requirement to give a server built in account permissions to a > share on a another file server. > I have not had this requirement before and can't see how to do it or even > ...

Outlook 2000 Constant Crashes at Opening
After launching Outlook, I now get this message Signature Error: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2416 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000 Curiously, this coincides with the installation of a new Inte mainboard/CPU combo. Help -- c15951Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:48:04 -1000, c15951 <c15951.1si3ly> wrote: > > After launching Outlook, I now get this message > > Signature Error: > > AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2416 ModName: unknown > ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00000000 > > > ...

Button fails to call macro when open an Excel via Intranet
Hi all, Can someone help me with my with this problem. I have an Excel file with a button to run a small macro: unhide and displys worksheets. It works when the file is opened with Excel. The macro is simple: Sub Button1_Click() Sheets("FF").Visible = True Sheets("FF").Select Range("C1").Select End Sub I need to open it from an intranet site. When user selects the file, the web app retrieves the file and responses to open an Excel file. But on the intrenet I get the following error massage "The macro "GenerateResource.aspx?Resour...

Password problem opening MS Money file
Normally, MS Money 2007 displays the login page as it starts and a simple click gets me in. A few days ago, the page looked a bit different and would not accept my password. It seems like it got disconnected from the Windows Live account. The backup file (that it saves on close) worked, however (phew). I've been using MSM for years without any problem like this before. Gary Davis In microsoft.public.money, GarDavis wrote: >Normally, MS Money 2007 displays the login page as it starts and a >simple click gets me in. A few days ago, the page looked a bit >different and would no...

The options turn to grey when I open excel files at IE
If I use another PC. It's no problem. I use Office XP. Thank you very much! My first guess is that opening excel files inside might be the problem. But I just tried it (xl2002, MSIE 6.0, and win98), and the Options were ok (except for one--statusbar). So.... What options are you writing about? And if you are opening within MSIE, you may want to stop that behavior and just open in excel. >From a previous post: There's a setting in Windows that you can change. In win98, I can do this: Start Windows Explorer View|Folder Options File Types Tab scroll down to MS Excel Workshee...

Number of days left shown???
Hi there... I would like to ask if there;s any formula for this?? I have a spreadsheet with names and due date.......there;s a conditional format for it....which within 14 days of the due date....it would turn "orange" and when the due date reach....it would turn "red" colour...... but now i need to add in....Let's say.....when the "orange" colour appears (meaning within 14 days of the due date) ....it would appear on the orange colour cell itself or another new column next to it showing .....how many days left from the 14 days? E...

Outlook Folder List Will Not Close
When I close Outlook, the folder list stays on the screen as if it is frozen there. I have to refresh the screen to make it go away. Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens? Also, it only happens for one user profile on the computer. ...

Can't Open or Delete an item in the inbox
I have sent a "Task request" to other people using Outlook, however when they try to open it or delete it they got the following error message: "outlook cannot do this action on this type of attachment" How can they delete this from their inbox area? I have seen several posts about this but no replies - does this mean there is no answer? Many thanks Kevin Lycett Hi, I have exactly the same problem. When sending a "task request" to someone via internet and not using exchange server but only the internet mail function they receive the mail in the inbox. When...

Publisher unable to open file...Norton advice doesn't work"
I have read through the various messages about disabling parts or all of Norton 2003 and have removed NAV all to no avail. The problem occurs with Publisher 2000 and Publisher 2002 on XP and ME and 98SE. The publisher files were created with Publisher 2.0, but have had problems with files created by other, later versions. After the Norton advice where do I go now. I have tried every which way, but originally it was off of the systems hard drive. the file is is not write protected etc. I am at wits end on this one Thanks Mike >-----Original Message----- >Are you tryin...