Permissions / Closing MDB left open

I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to
learn...  Let me explain:

I'm a surgical resident.  I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient
census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that
print based on room number or service.  Everything is setup as needed in the
local file.  I've been working on the content of the database on and off for
a year.  Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a
very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file.

Now, to complicate my issue.  Here is the background:

The MDB file will be shared on a windows network - a shared folder.  I don't
have the ability to set permissions for the shared folder - that is done by
the IT department.  Essentially, the IT department would grant access to the
shared folder to each user where the local MDB will be located.

Computer access at the hospital is setup through CITRIX - each individual
user has a unique username/password to login to a virtual desktop.  The
virtual computer has its own user based MY DOCUMENTS folder with shortcut to
network share (where the MDB is located).

There needs to be multiple users that need access to the MDB with the
ability to read - write - print - add new patients, update current patients,
etc.  This leads to my challenge:

If one of the users (my interns) opens the access database and closed the
virtual desktop WITHOUT closing the MDB file - the file will be locked and
unable to be accessed by others for updating (unless the person with the open
file closed it).

CHALLENGE:
How can I create a superuser or admin account that can force the MDB file
closed no matter what user has it opened?

Unfortunately, my IT department is absolutely no help.  Their abilities are
pretty limited to the flow charts for troubleshooting hospital EMR and
nothing really beyond that.

I hope I explained my challenge well.  I think I need a superuser/admin type
setup for local MDB control - however - I'm not really sure if that is a
valid option or if there is better options...?

Thanks in advance!
-brian

access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:40:01 -0800, Doc Brian <Doc
Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Sharing an application is one of those REALLY BAD IDEAS. Rather you
should split your application in front-end (everything but tables, and
linked tables) and back-end (tables). Then give each user his own
front-end (e.g. in each user's MyDocuments. Check autofeupdater.com
for a handy tool to keep the FE at the latest version for each user.
The back-end goes in a network share accessible to all.

If you really needed to: you can auto-shutdown an application (in most
cases) using the technique presented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/128814

Pretty amazing you are doing all of this while in your spare time :-)
you are trying to become a surgeon.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to
>learn...  Let me explain:
>
>I'm a surgical resident.  I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient
>census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that
>print based on room number or service.  Everything is setup as needed in the
>local file.  I've been working on the content of the database on and off for
>a year.  Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a
>very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file.
>
>Now, to complicate my issue.  Here is the background:
>
>The MDB file will be shared on a windows network - a shared folder.  I don't
>have the ability to set permissions for the shared folder - that is done by
>the IT department.  Essentially, the IT department would grant access to the
>shared folder to each user where the local MDB will be located.
>
>Computer access at the hospital is setup through CITRIX - each individual
>user has a unique username/password to login to a virtual desktop.  The
>virtual computer has its own user based MY DOCUMENTS folder with shortcut to
>network share (where the MDB is located).
>
>There needs to be multiple users that need access to the MDB with the
>ability to read - write - print - add new patients, update current patients,
>etc.  This leads to my challenge:
>
>If one of the users (my interns) opens the access database and closed the
>virtual desktop WITHOUT closing the MDB file - the file will be locked and
>unable to be accessed by others for updating (unless the person with the open
>file closed it).
>
>CHALLENGE:
>How can I create a superuser or admin account that can force the MDB file
>closed no matter what user has it opened?
>
>Unfortunately, my IT department is absolutely no help.  Their abilities are
>pretty limited to the flow charts for troubleshooting hospital EMR and
>nothing really beyond that.
>
>I hope I explained my challenge well.  I think I need a superuser/admin type
>setup for local MDB control - however - I'm not really sure if that is a
>valid option or if there is better options...?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>-brian

0
Tom

Tracking open files
I often leave files open for days and when I have 20-70 open at the same time I run out resources and one invariably locks up, especially a PowerPoint 2007 file. Is there a way that I can have one of my Access databases log all open files using a form's click event so that I can reopen them when the system crashes? This database is always running--can't work without it and so it is a logical place to store a listing of all my open files. Thanks for suggesting a place where I can start developing the code to do this. In addition to PPTX and DOCX, I usually keep a...

Malicious Code error when opening a custom outlook form
After installing Visio 2003 on XP Professional with Microsoft Office 2002 installed, I get the following error when I launch a custom outlook form... "To help prevent malicious code from running, one or more objects in this form were not loaded. For more information, contact your administrator." Has anyone seen this or know how to address it? ...

change the default opening of a form to enter a new record
How can you stop a form defaulting to record 1 when you want to type in a new record. The only way we are getting round this at the moment is to click on the icon New record. However, every time we open the form to enter another record it is always showing record 1 -- Thank you for reading my post. Hopefully you can answer my querie Shazza - Set the form property Data Entry to Yes. That will default to opening the form for new records. -- Daryl S "Shazza" wrote: > How can you stop a form defaulting to record 1 when you want to type in a new > r...

Problems with converted MDB
Hi, all. We have a database application created in Access 97 that we are trying to convert to Access 2002. When I convert the file, it appears to go without a problem. But when I try to run it, it gives me the error "The expression you entered has a function name that CLS Access Toolkit can't find." (CLSToolkit.mdb is the name of the .mdb file). An Autoexec macro runs a function (and it is a function, not a sub) but when I call and step through the function, everything goes fine. I asked a colleague to do a conversion of the same application and then send it to me. He was...

Icon Left of Appointment
I get a small triangle at the top left where the blue bar usually is. Also these appointments do not show in navigation calendar as bold. New appointments are OK, this just happened on existing appointments ...

cannot open an MDE due to version issue.
We had an external developer create a MDE wich should be connecting to a back end SQL database. It has been some time since I actually tried to use this MDE. We were advised to makes sure clients had Access 2003 with SP2 installed. I actually tried to open the MDE file and got a message: "You do not have the correct version. Please get the latest version" We currently currently have not yet entered any data, do I also got a clean version of the MDE and also restored the SQL database from the original that was set up by the consultant. Any suggestions as to what could have ...

outlook 2000
running on home computer, no exhange or server. when I open an inbox message and close it, the message disappears, it isnt in other folders or in delteld files folder. If I move the message to another folder before opening it, then open the message in that folder, I am fine I can open and close it without losing it. I have been running everything fine for a couple of years now, only in the last moth did this start happening. I have reformatted and reloaded my computer, it doesnt help. I have taken mirosoft outlook express off the computer, that doesnt help either. I only have o...

PC freezes when I open a file
I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs. Whenever I open it, my mouse cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself remains frozen for five minutes. If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially corrupt. Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult to give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function first. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72B470EE-B86F-4018-99B5-F5FCEB41BB34@microsoft.c...

how to open a new Word document in draft view as default
I saw some posings on it as to go to Word options, advanced, general and choose allow opening a document in draft view. It worked for me one time, but not this time. The new documents keep opening in the small print layout (can't even see what is in there, the size is so small), and I have to keep putting documents in Draft view file manually. Change the zoom setting - http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm or You can control the zoom and the view with auto macros in normal.dot. The following will set it to 100% zoom and normal/draft view regardless of what ...

Outlook XP stays on top when open link
hi! I have the problem, that Outlook XP stays the top window when I open an email link in a messange. The new IE window blinks in the taskbar, but it's behind the Outlook window. Sometime I even can't open the new IE window! maybe someone can help me. Windows XP SP1 - Office XP SP2 greetings Matthias Neumeister (sorry for my english!) ...

open a file on PDA?
I try to open a file on the PDA but that don't work. The file is located in the same directory that the program. The filename is elevator.dxf. So i const char * fred = "elevator.dxf"; the file name is pass to function etc... drawing.LoadFile(fred) etc.... and FileName is in debugger = "elevator.dxf" pStream = fopen( FileName, "rb" )) but pStream is NULL there; Why? In the same program, i call hinstLIB = LoadLibrary( "LIB.dll" ) and same LIB.dll is on the same directory of the program but that time that's work, he find the file and load the l...

PST files won't open
I have 3 PST files that were created by someone else. They are each less than 40MB and all have the correct .pst extention. When I try to open any of them (they sit on my hdd) Outlook tells me "The file is not a personal folders file". I am running Office 2003 Pro. Any ideas? Cheers and Thanks. Are these pst-files on your harddisk and have you verified that the "Read Only" file attribute isn't checked. Connect to it by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... If it's still not working use scanpst.exe to scan the file for errors. -- Roady [MVP] w...

Can't open Outlook Mailbox
I can't open my Outlook, version 2002 mailbox. Problem with outlook.pst file??? Tried repairing (as per instructions and a message says it is missing??? THANKS for your solution, Don Price I'm no expert, but I have had this problem before. Try doing a search of all files (hidden, system, etc) for the file "outlook.pst". If it can't find anything, sorry, this is where my knowledge ends. If it does, just redirect outlook to that location. "Don Price FLD-EFCA" <dprice@forestlakes-efca.org> wrote in message news:<4ee201c473ea$24b500c0$a601280a@ph...

Why clustered Exchanges always open new network connections with the real IPs?
Hi all the group; For the last two years I've worked in two different big companies dealing with Exchange 2003 in clustered environments (active/passive and active/active configurations) What I've noticed in both two companies is that, when E2K3 is clustered, new network connections ORIGINATED FROM EXCHANGE always appear with the physical IP address of the physical nodes, but not with the virtual IP address of the cluster group. I'll try to explain myself a llitle further: BACKENDS -------------- Physical node #1 Hostname : EXCHANGE1 Physical node #2 Hostname : EXCHANGE2 Virtua...

Changed permissions on public folders, not showing up in Outlook
Hi, We're running SBS server 2003 with clients on XP Pro SP2 and Outlook 2003. I modified the client permissions on a folder in Exchange System manager, and propagated those changes to all subfolders. However, the changes are not showing up on the Outlook client. We are running a single server, and all clients are on the same subnet. There are only 8 clients on the network. Do I need to force replication somewhere, even though this is the only server in the domain? Thanks. Matt Emmott wrote: > Hi, > We're running SBS server 2003 with clients on XP Pro SP2 and Outlook > ...

CRecordset::Close & SQLFreeStmt
Hi Platform: VC++6, MFC, ODBC, MSDE, Win 2K I am reading lot of data from the MSDE database one by constructing a SQL statement which returns only one record But when I try to read data from a particular table which iterates through all the records in the CRecordset (using Open, IsEOF, MoveNext. Also, the Database connection is explicitly passed by me to the CRecordset derived class) and then call Close member function of CRecordset, I get a message box saying "User breakpoint called from code at 0x77f813b1" and later ending with an "Access Violation" error Basically th...

Opening a PivotChart from switchboard
I have a form with a PivotChart as a default view. I would like to open the form (as a chart) from Switchboard pane, but there's only a possibility to open a form in : Const conCmdOpenFormAdd = 2 Const conCmdOpenFormBrowse = 3 mode. That results that the form is not opened as a chart. How can I avoid that? Thank you for suggestions. Win XP Access 2003 Jaworski - The beauty of the switchboard is you have very little coding to do, but you pay the price in limiting the functionality. If you don't change your menu items in the switchboard, then you can a...

Open Access 97 in Access 2007
I have old vb6 programs using DAO and Access 97. Access 2007 will not allow me to open the 97. What can I do? Thanks. -- ___________________ B. Dean Fairchild 1813 Hidden Pine Lane Apopka, FL 32712 407 880-8525 ___________________ Dean, Won't let you open? Error message? What happens? Is your database in a Trusted Location? http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TrustedLocation.htm -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_fi...

Voiding Open Invoice with future dated invoice
I have some invoices that were posted with a date of 01-25-2018 How can this be voided Mark, In the first place, why is 2018 created as a fiscal period? Besides that, the course of action will depend on 2 things: a) If you've posted the invoice and have not applied any payments. Under this scenario, 1) if you have not posted the invoice in GL -- it's already posted in payables -- delete in the GL batch for the transaction(s). Now, void the payables invoice(s) and once again delete the batches in GL. 2) if you've posted in GL, just void the payables invoice and post to GL a...

Outlook Express unable to open links
I have XP Internet Explorer 6 Outlook Express. After I downloaded spellchecker that was left off pc when I purchased it. I starting having problems, I received an email with links in the email not all links but most. I click on the link it will not open, then I hold dowm the control key at the same time I click on the link and most the time it will open. Why do I have to hold down the shift key. Before I downloaded the spellchecker it was fine. I have called tech support at Best Buy (he laughed in my face like I was making it up). called HP under warrenty and they don't know why...

outlok 2000 Wont open
We are runing windows 2000, and outlook 2000. We have someone trying to open outlok and it does not open.. It starts and the outlook screen shows for a short time, then it goes away and is listed in the task manager as not responding. Any suggestions on what to try? FYI: outlook is not runnnig exchange only regular internet email. Thanks With OUtlook closed, find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. Reopen Outlook and it should be pretty snappy. >-----Original Message----- >We are runing windows 2000, and outlook 2000. > >We have someone trying to open outlok and it does n...

Documents opening as symbols, numbers etc
When i open documents in word they appear as symbols and numbers etc, it gives me the option to select an encoding to make the document more readable but it doesn't work. Can anyone help? What kind of document? For instance, you can't open a pdf in Word. On Mar 31, 11:07=A0am, Cluck <Cl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When i open documents in word they appear as symbols and numbers etc, it > gives me the option to select an encoding to make the document more reada= ble > but it doesn't work. =A0Can anyone help? ...

Opening saved files
Hi Is there anyone that has some knowledge of Office 2007. I am getting so frustrated. When I open a file in word I would like to type a part of the saved name and have a list of all documents that have that part come up. My new Word requires me to type the exact name of the saved file. Please help!!! reply to noa@kinstler.co.za Thank you so much That would be Windows File Search. You will find Search on the Start menu. Noa wrote: > Hi > > Is there anyone that has some knowledge of Office 2007. > I am getting so frustrated. > When I open a file in w...

HELP!! Cannot change GAL Permissions with ADSI Edit
Here's what happend: Change GAL permisions using Exchange System Manager. Deny Read access to authenticated users by mistake. When I tried to go back in to the properties of the GAL it would not let me. I closed the ESM and opened it again. Now I don't even see the GAL. I used ADSI Edit and was able to see it there. Try to change the permissions there but it doesn't let me open the container properties. I get the following message: "an invalid directory path name was passed". Please help. Thanks. If it at least pulls up the window then you need to keep hitti...

Permissions to create custom borders
Hi I want to give students permission to create a custom border in Publisher 2003 on an XP machine. When logged on as an administrator the task can be completed, but logged on as a student, (mandatory profile) the image cannot be inserted into the Create Custom Border Art area. Error message saying the file cannot be imported. I have given students Write permissions to both the ClipArt folders in MS office and the Common Files areas, but this still has not alleviated the problem. What do they need to have permission to in order to create a custom border from a saved image? Office 2003...