Percent Format: Allow user to type Percent, not decimal?

Seems like when a field's underlying value is a decimal amount, but
the presentation format on a field in a form is "Percent", the user
still has to type the decimal equivalent of the percent when editing
the field.

e.g. CouponRate=.05437 is shown as "5.437%", but when the user clicks
into the field to type something, they have to type, for instance, ".
04798" to get 4.798 percent to show.

Seems logical from one perspective, but my users don't care for it.

I can think of one way to handle this, using event code, but I'm
wondering if there is a Good-Right-And-Holy Path for doing it.

Maybe some field property...?
0
PeteCresswell
12/19/2007 4:17:05 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

This is very annoying behavior which Excel handles gracefully.  I add code
in the control's AfterUpdate event to solve the problem.

If Me.SomeField  > 1 Then
    Me.SomeField = Me.SomeField/100
End If

"PeteCresswell" <PeteCress@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Seems like when a field's underlying value is a decimal amount, but
> the presentation format on a field in a form is "Percent", the user
> still has to type the decimal equivalent of the percent when editing
> the field.
>
> e.g. CouponRate=.05437 is shown as "5.437%", but when the user clicks
> into the field to type something, they have to type, for instance, ".
> 04798" to get 4.798 percent to show.
>
> Seems logical from one perspective, but my users don't care for it.
>
> I can think of one way to handle this, using event code, but I'm
> wondering if there is a Good-Right-And-Holy Path for doing it.
>
> Maybe some field property...?

0
Pat
12/19/2007 4:44:41 PM
> If Me.SomeField  > 1 Then
>     Me.SomeField = Me.SomeField/100
> End If

That's what I had in mind.

But I'm also doing conversion where the back end feeds a work table
that the screen is bound to.... so I multiply the decimal amount in
the back end by 100 to get the percent tb shown to the user.

Maybe I need to fall back to your solutin, though, bc I'm now running
into a format issue.
As long as if have .Format="0.00000", it works fine.  But as soon as I
change it to "0.00000%", that annoying behaviour kicks in and the app
renders 4.75 as 475%.

Dunno yet whether the users will insist on having that percent sign
showing... but your solution seems to make that concern moot.....
0
PeteCresswell
12/19/2007 5:36:24 PM
I select Percent as the format property for the control and leave it at
that.  Access will render the value correctly.  Adjust the decimal places if
you want to have a fixed number of places.  The default is 2 places.

>> If Me.SomeField  > 1 Then
>>     Me.SomeField = Me.SomeField/100
>> End If
>
> That's what I had in mind.
>
> But I'm also doing conversion where the back end feeds a work table
> that the screen is bound to.... so I multiply the decimal amount in
> the back end by 100 to get the percent tb shown to the user.
>
> Maybe I need to fall back to your solutin, though, bc I'm now running
> into a format issue.
> As long as if have .Format="0.00000", it works fine.  But as soon as I
> change it to "0.00000%", that annoying behaviour kicks in and the app
> renders 4.75 as 475%.
>
> Dunno yet whether the users will insist on having that percent sign
> showing... but your solution seems to make that concern moot.....

0
Pat

Update a text box on a user form based on changes in another control
On my user form, I have a combo box which is linked to a named ranged. In this range is a list of possible fare types....for now lets just call them A to B, B to C, etc etc. When I select one of these fares in the combo box, I want to tab to another text box, and have the relevant fare cost appear in that box so the user can be certain of the cost involved. The corresponding fares are in the next column on the sheet beside the named range, but at present, when I tab to the text box I get either no result or an error message. I have been trying to use WorksheetFunctionVlookup....etc but obv...

copying text from an excel "box" that seems to be formatted

Percent
How is the formula for percent change between two numbers constructed and entered? "Old Red One" <oldred1@charter.net> wrote in message news:uQ5WvfMeDHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How is the formula for percent change between two numbers constructed and > entered? > > Hi Red, This will calculate the percentage increase from 30 to 45 (50% increase): =(45-30)/30 = 50% This will calculate the percentage decrease from 45 to 30 (33.3% decrease): =(30-45)/45 = -33.3% HTH, Alan. ...

CSV format ?
Hello, I have an sql script that writes my database table data out to a fil and i've given the file a name with the (.xls) suffix also, the data i delimited with a comma. After running the script, i end up with a file in my directory and th file has the Excel ICON, but when i select on the ICON, Excel does no recognize that it's comma delimited of course and still requires that import the data using the import utility. I am quessing/assuming that there must be a setting or feature by now that i can set that will tell Excel to assume that the data is in comma delimited format and ...

can cells apply conditional formatting using the internal clock?
I am using excell to keep track of my production schedule and I wanted to know if there was a way to tie the cells in a worksheet to the internal date and time in the computer,so that the cells will update automatically. Example: Row A10 would be my production start date, Row A1 would be my projected finish date, I would like the cells in between to go from green to red as I near the finish date without manually inputting the date in each cell. Can you help me? Thyanks Set the normal format as desired (I selected a Pattern of Green). Select A1:A10, then select Format | Conditional Fo...

Possible to change the default cell format?
Hello - I am constantly changing the format of my cells (when they are the number format) to include the comma separator and to use zero decimal places. Is there a way to change the settings so that by default the values will not have decimal places (and by default they will have the comma separator? Thanks for any suggestions! (FYI, I considered creating a simple macro to do this, but I believe that it would limit me from being able to use the UNDO command as often as I would like). To address the "default" number format, you would have to use a template as your default workbook...

How do I copy a print format from sheet to sheet in excel ?
I would like to copy a printing format to other sheets in a workbook including print areas and print titles. Is this possible does anyone know? Thanks. Hello- Unless I'm missing something, most everything you're asking *is* done automatically since your print specs are for the workbook, not sheet-by-sheet. Headers/Footers, Rows to repeat@top, margins, etc. apply to all sheets, and Print Areas need only be set if you want to print a portion of what would normally be output. You might want to consider Named Ranges if you haven't already done so. HTH |:>) "kernat&qu...

Users
I have a small biz 2003 server environment. I have users who can access the server re: network shares ...but can not access outbound HTTP traffic. Other comments; 1. Email traffic seems to be flowing both ways. 2. Work stations seem to take a long time to start-up - especially taking a long time to "prepare network connections" 3. Hit or miss some work station and sever can access Http, while other can not 4. Might be some conflicts w/ DHCP Looks like a DNS issue to me. One of the first things a domain-joined client tries to do is contact a domain controller...

Aggregate data types mismatch
Using reporting services 2008. Getting a really weird error when calculating a variance between a budget and actual amount in the report. Both the underlying fields are of data type 'money', but when performing the calc in the report writer, i am getting the following error: [rsAggregateOfMixedDataTypes] The Value expression for the textrun 'Variance_MTD_ActualvsBudget1.Paragraphs[0].TextRuns[0]' uses an aggregate function on data of varying data types. Aggregate functions other than First, Last, Previous, Count, and CountDistinct can only aggregate data of a si...

(OL2003) Importprf works for some users, but not others
I am using a prf file that I created using the Custom Installation Wizard. I tested it on my user account and a few others and it worked fine. I tried using the same prf file to set up some other users and it just brings up the Outlook Setup Wizard. I tried it again on the users that it worked on previously and it still works on them. Could someone tell me where I need to look to find out why it works for some, but not others? Thanks. (Is this the right place to post this or is there a better place?) I am still having this issue. I thought it may help if I gave a more detailed explain...

Personal Folders Format
Hi, I've got a .PST file that's currently listed as "Personal Folders File (97-2002)". - Is there any benefit to creating a new .PST file using the Outlook 2003 format? - What are the differences between the two formats? Thanks http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=830336&product=out2003 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Steve" <none@nothing.net> wrote in message news:%YLId.216324$Np3.9100965@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca... > > Hi, > > I've got a .PST file that's currently listed as "Personal Folders File > (97-...

Please help user accounts cannot log in
Hi all, well I caught a virus. I had essentials but some how it is unable to delete the virus and the real time protection has been disabled. Upon working with support we manage to find the problem in windows32 folder. It is a fake security virus. Unfortunately i was unable to delete the applications. I some how did something because now i cannot log in at all. Windows start up and gets to the user account section. When i click on any account it starts and then immediately logs out. This is even in safe mode under admin. I was able to at least get into windows and now i cannot. A...

format numbers
Hello, I use Office 2002 with Windows 2000 and I would like to use the format (500.00) when it is negative instead of the minus sign when writing numbers I do not have that option in the format cell, how come? My friend is using the same Office 2002 with Windows 2000 and she does have the brakets in her format. We both have the same Service Pack for Office and Windows. Thank you, Chris Hi she can simply enter the same format as custom format. she probably has different regional settings -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris wrote: > Hello, > > I use Office ...

Formatting a number to look like a Percent without a percent sign
We often want a column of decimals to have a percent sign only on the first number in the column, so: ..553 ..554 (.345) need to be formatted to look like 55.3% 55.4 (34.5) where all the decimals align vertically. I can't figure out how to do this without multiplying the second and third cells by 100, which is a bad solution. Any ideas? Thanks. format custom 0.0 "David Iacoponi" wrote: > We often want a column of decimals to have a percent sign only on the first > number in the column, so: > .553 > .554 > (.345) > need to be formatted to look like &g...

HTML account server type API?
Is there an API available for scripting/coding HTML account integration into Oulook similar to Hotmail? I have a web based mail Perl program (Gossamer Mail) that I would like to be able to integrate with Outlook but I'm not coming up with any info on an API. I've tried searching the news groups, Google and MS but I don't know exactly what I should be searching for. Any info to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Best Regards, Charlie Piper outlook (and OE) use webdav to access the mail server - if your program uses webdav, you can access it using the HTTP ...

Line Chart
I thought this would be easy, but I am really stumped! I need to show the percentage in addition to the value in the data labels for a line chart. Example, January February Series 1 5 6 Series 2 15 4 I would like the January data label for Series 1 to show 5 (25%) I would like the January data label for Series 2 to show 15 (75%) I would like the February data label for Series 1 to show 6 (60%) I would like the February data label for Series 2 to show 4 (40%) TIA FOR ANY HELP! You need to construct your lab...

Unable to launch Outlook from only 1 user in Windows XP
I am unable to start Outlook (and Outlook Express) from only one of the users I have set up in XP (get an error message about not having permisson rights to acces the Outlook.pst file). Outlook works fine for the other three users. I've tried the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) and it does not find any problems with the pst file (but it does give an access rights warning that it couldn't repair the fiel if it did find something worng with it). The tool does not find any problems or any rights issues if run under any of the other users. Any ideas on how to fix this? ...

Conditional Formating Based on Date #2
Hi, I need some help on conditional formating. What I want to do is change the color of a cell based on the date, i.e. if the date in the cell is today or greater I want the cell color to change to red, if the date is 3 days before the date in the cell I want it to change color to yellow. condition 1 formula is =a3>=today() cond 2 etc -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08188B4D-4A0D-4121-834E-AAF96FB033EC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I need some help on conditional formating. What I wa...

formatting the TOC
Hi, I have a heading which is spread into almost two lines. But when i generate the TOC, it displays the heading in a single line. Please suggest me a solution. Thanking in anticipation. Are you saying that you want your TOC to use the same font as size as your text? sanjay wrote: >Hi, > >I have a heading which is spread into almost two lines. But when i generate >the TOC, it displays the heading in a single line. > >Please suggest me a solution. > >Thanking in anticipation. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/...

Custom Number format #2
Hello, NG What custom number format to use so that 1.5 will display as 1.5 1 will display as 1 not 1.0 or 1. Any help will be highly appreciated TIA jon-jon One way: General;-General;0;@ In article <uri1#$nAEHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "JON JON" <conrado_capistranoREMOVE@msn.com> wrote: > Hello, NG > > What custom number format to use so that > > 1.5 will display as 1.5 > 1 will display as 1 not 1.0 or 1. > > Any help will be highly appreciated > > TIA > > jon-jon > > Based on your examp...

Moving user account between domains
I am planning on moving a user account from a child domain to a parent domain. I need to ensure that the user's Exchange mailbox is migrated as well. I have ADMT 3.0, but I would appreciate feedback on whether this is the best method to use. I am looking to keep downtime to a minimum. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. The ADMT will NOT move the mailbox. You will need to use ADUC or Exchange System Manager to do that. ADMT should move the Exchange specific attributes of the user account, though. -- Jim McBee - MostlyExchange Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com - E...

How to delete the word I typed on the excel page?
How to delete the word I typed on the excel page? Please help! Thanks! Loan On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:53:01 -0700, Loan Duong <Loan Duong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to delete the word I typed on the excel page? >Please help! >Thanks! >Loan Uh, select it with the cursor, then hit <delete> ? --ron Or, use the backspace key. Regards, Fred "Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message news:oq7hu51voa8qv8i8r89j59ron26he1ruq4@4ax.com... > On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:53:01 -0700, Loan Duong <Loan > Duong@di...

Excel date formatting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have formatted the cells to yield a date in the form 14-Mar. If I input 3/4 or 3-4 the cell yields 4-Mar. It will not allow me to enter the data in the same format I want it the data output. If I enter 30/11 I expect to get 30-Nov, but I do not. It seems logical to me that I should be able to input the date in the same format as I want it output. Can this be done? It's a matter of your System Preferences settings - Excel takes its cue from that. Change your International preference for Formats & Excel wi...

sort/format this spreadsheet
hi, following the failure of my last post....hoping somebody here can help me with this. i have a spreadsheet that looks something like this (except with about 10 000 rows) DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1A DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1B DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1C DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1D CLPM AGENT2 NAME2A CLPM AGENT2 NAME2B U788 AGENT3 NAME3A ...

cannot type in greek in publisher 2007 #2
it enters text only in english the settings of the greek language are ok ...