Opiions on what is the best method/ format for storing Procedures and Functions developed over time

I have hundreds of DBs and thousands of Procedures and Functions that I've 
written over time.
Right now they are stored in the original DBs.  To reuse them, I have to 
remember which GD DB they were in.  Does anyone have a system or concept 
(preferably Access based) for storing these in an easily retrieved fashion?

Thanks

Kevin 


0
kc
12/11/2009 7:53:07 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
766 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 19

Hi Kevin,

This is an interesting idea. Here is what I came up with.

The idea is to export the modules as code, parse the procedures and save 
them in a record.

Arvin has some code that will export each module as a text file:
          http://www.accessmvp.com/Arvin/DocDatabase.txt


I modified Arvin's code to just export the modules code. Then, I created a 
new mdb and a table. 

I named the table "tblCode".

The fields in the table are:
        ID                  Autonumber
        txtSubFunc    Text             'Function or Sub
        txtName        Text             'Procedure name
        mCode          Memo          'the code

To parse the text files, I came up with this code:
(could be attached to a button)
'*********************************************************
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit


Public Sub ParseTextFile()
   Dim d As DAO.Database
   Dim rs As DAO.Recordset

   Dim k As Integer
   Dim t As Integer

   Dim FileName As String   ' Name of text file to process
   Dim InputString As String  ' input string
   Dim ProcName As String   ' name of function
   Dim subSTR As String
   Dim FuncSubType As String

   Dim IsFuncSub As Boolean ' is this the start of a proc

   Dim paren As Long
   Dim f As Long

   Set d = CurrentDb

   'open the recordset
   Set rs = d.OpenRecordset("tblCode")

'----------------------------------------------------------------------
   'could read all of the text file names into an array
   ' then loop thru them
   FileName = "D:\docs\modules\Test_mod.txt"
'----------------------------------------------------------------------

   ' open the text file
   k = FreeFile
   Open FileName For Input As #k

   'loop thru each line of the text file
   Do While Not EOF(k)
      IsFuncSub = False
      
      'read line
      Line Input #k, InputString
      InputString = Trim(InputString)

      'check for start of Function or Sub
      If InStr(1, InputString, "Function ") > 0 Then
         FuncSubType = "Function"
         f = InStr(1, InputString, "Function") + 9
         IsFuncSub = True
      ElseIf InStr(1, InputString, "Sub ") > 0 Then
         FuncSubType = "Sub"
         f = InStr(1, InputString, "Sub") + 4
         IsFuncSub = True
      End If

      'is this the start of a Sub or Function?
      If IsFuncSub Then
         'get function name
         paren = InStr(1, InputString, "(")
         ProcName = Mid(InputString, f, paren - f)

         'insert a new record
         rs.AddNew
         rs.Fields("txtSubFunc") = FuncSubType
         rs.Fields("txtName") = ProcName
         rs.Fields("Mcode") = InputString & vbCrLf

         'loop thru the rest of the procedure
         Do
            Line Input #k, InputString
            rs.Fields("Mcode") = rs.Fields("Mcode") & InputString & vbCrLf
         Loop Until Trim(InputString) = "End " & FuncSubType
         rs.Update
      End If
   Loop

   'clean up
   Close #k
   rs.Close
   Set rs = Nothing
   Set d = Nothing
End Sub
'******************************************************


Additional modifications to the code:

~   Error handler code
~   Read all of the text file names into an array and loop thru them; delete 
the files when all files have been processed
~   Read all of the MDBs into an array, link/import the Modules, then export 
the code, unlink, process text files



HTH
-- 
Steve S
--------------------------------
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
(I came; I saw; I stuck around.)


"kc-mass" wrote:

> I have hundreds of DBs and thousands of Procedures and Functions that I've 
> written over time.
> Right now they are stored in the original DBs.  To reuse them, I have to 
> remember which GD DB they were in.  Does anyone have a system or concept 
> (preferably Access based) for storing these in an easily retrieved fashion?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Kevin 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/14/2009 6:45:02 PM
One problem I haven't figured out how to deal with is if there are global 
variables or a global type definition for one or two procedures. Right now 
they are skipped. 

HTH
-- 
Steve S
--------------------------------
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
(I came; I saw; I stuck around.)


"Steve Sanford" wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
> 
> This is an interesting idea. Here is what I came up with.
> 
> The idea is to export the modules as code, parse the procedures and save 
> them in a record.
> 
> Arvin has some code that will export each module as a text file:
>           http://www.accessmvp.com/Arvin/DocDatabase.txt
> 
> 
> I modified Arvin's code to just export the modules code. Then, I created a 
> new mdb and a table. 
> 
> I named the table "tblCode".
> 
> The fields in the table are:
>         ID                  Autonumber
>         txtSubFunc    Text             'Function or Sub
>         txtName        Text             'Procedure name
>         mCode          Memo          'the code
> 
> To parse the text files, I came up with this code:
> (could be attached to a button)
> '*********************************************************
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
> 
> 
> Public Sub ParseTextFile()
>    Dim d As DAO.Database
>    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
> 
>    Dim k As Integer
>    Dim t As Integer
> 
>    Dim FileName As String   ' Name of text file to process
>    Dim InputString As String  ' input string
>    Dim ProcName As String   ' name of function
>    Dim subSTR As String
>    Dim FuncSubType As String
> 
>    Dim IsFuncSub As Boolean ' is this the start of a proc
> 
>    Dim paren As Long
>    Dim f As Long
> 
>    Set d = CurrentDb
> 
>    'open the recordset
>    Set rs = d.OpenRecordset("tblCode")
> 
> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
>    'could read all of the text file names into an array
>    ' then loop thru them
>    FileName = "D:\docs\modules\Test_mod.txt"
> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
>    ' open the text file
>    k = FreeFile
>    Open FileName For Input As #k
> 
>    'loop thru each line of the text file
>    Do While Not EOF(k)
>       IsFuncSub = False
>       
>       'read line
>       Line Input #k, InputString
>       InputString = Trim(InputString)
> 
>       'check for start of Function or Sub
>       If InStr(1, InputString, "Function ") > 0 Then
>          FuncSubType = "Function"
>          f = InStr(1, InputString, "Function") + 9
>          IsFuncSub = True
>       ElseIf InStr(1, InputString, "Sub ") > 0 Then
>          FuncSubType = "Sub"
>          f = InStr(1, InputString, "Sub") + 4
>          IsFuncSub = True
>       End If
> 
>       'is this the start of a Sub or Function?
>       If IsFuncSub Then
>          'get function name
>          paren = InStr(1, InputString, "(")
>          ProcName = Mid(InputString, f, paren - f)
> 
>          'insert a new record
>          rs.AddNew
>          rs.Fields("txtSubFunc") = FuncSubType
>          rs.Fields("txtName") = ProcName
>          rs.Fields("Mcode") = InputString & vbCrLf
> 
>          'loop thru the rest of the procedure
>          Do
>             Line Input #k, InputString
>             rs.Fields("Mcode") = rs.Fields("Mcode") & InputString & vbCrLf
>          Loop Until Trim(InputString) = "End " & FuncSubType
>          rs.Update
>       End If
>    Loop
> 
>    'clean up
>    Close #k
>    rs.Close
>    Set rs = Nothing
>    Set d = Nothing
> End Sub
> '******************************************************
> 
> 
> Additional modifications to the code:
> 
> ~   Error handler code
> ~   Read all of the text file names into an array and loop thru them; delete 
> the files when all files have been processed
> ~   Read all of the MDBs into an array, link/import the Modules, then export 
> the code, unlink, process text files
> 
> 
> 
> HTH
> -- 
> Steve S
> --------------------------------
> "Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
> (I came; I saw; I stuck around.)
> 
> 
> "kc-mass" wrote:
> 
> > I have hundreds of DBs and thousands of Procedures and Functions that I've 
> > written over time.
> > Right now they are stored in the original DBs.  To reuse them, I have to 
> > remember which GD DB they were in.  Does anyone have a system or concept 
> > (preferably Access based) for storing these in an easily retrieved fashion?
> > 
> > Thanks
> > 
> > Kevin 
> > 
> > 
> > .
> > 
0
Utf
12/15/2009 11:21:04 PM
Steve Sanford wrote:
> One problem I haven't figured out how to deal with is if there are global 
> variables or a global type definition for one or two procedures. Right now 
> they are skipped. 
> 
> HTH

If there's a variable that should be shared among certain procedure and 
isn't really meant to be truly global, mark them as private. This will 
restrict the visibility to only procedures within the same module and be 
inaccessible by any other procedures in other modules.

Example:

<code>

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private MyVar As Long

Public Sub ShowIt()

Msgbox MyVar

End Sub

Public Sub IncrementIt()

MyVar = MyVar + 1

End Sub

</code>

In the example, MyVar is accessible only to ShowIt and IncrementIt. It 
cannot be reached by any other procedure that aren't in the same module.

An addition to this is that for certain variables you may want to use 
Property procedures which gives you more control over how the variable 
can be managed.


<code>

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Private pMyVar As Long

Property Get MyVar() As Long

MyVaar = pMyVar

End Property

Property Let MyVar(lInput As Long)

If lInput > 0 Then
    pMyVar = lInput
End if

End Property

</code>


Here, we restrict the publicly accessible variable "MyVar" to only 
positive range of the Long by using Property Let to check the new value 
and change the value only if it's bigger than zero.

It is possible to have only Proeprty Get without Property Let, thus 
making the variable read-only, or Property Let without Property Get, 
making the variable write-only. There's also Property Set but I really 
don't like it as this requires using Set, and Property Let can handle 
this just fine.

HTH.
0
Banana
12/15/2009 11:29:55 PM
Thanks very much Steve
Regards

Kevin

"Steve Sanford" <limbim53 at yahoo dot com> wrote in message 
news:AB527622-FE96-4E92-913F-B30D34BD3EAF@microsoft.com...
> One problem I haven't figured out how to deal with is if there are global
> variables or a global type definition for one or two procedures. Right now
> they are skipped.
>
> HTH
> -- 
> Steve S
> --------------------------------
> "Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
> (I came; I saw; I stuck around.)
>
>
> "Steve Sanford" wrote:
>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> This is an interesting idea. Here is what I came up with.
>>
>> The idea is to export the modules as code, parse the procedures and save
>> them in a record.
>>
>> Arvin has some code that will export each module as a text file:
>>           http://www.accessmvp.com/Arvin/DocDatabase.txt
>>
>>
>> I modified Arvin's code to just export the modules code. Then, I created 
>> a
>> new mdb and a table.
>>
>> I named the table "tblCode".
>>
>> The fields in the table are:
>>         ID                  Autonumber
>>         txtSubFunc    Text             'Function or Sub
>>         txtName        Text             'Procedure name
>>         mCode          Memo          'the code
>>
>> To parse the text files, I came up with this code:
>> (could be attached to a button)
>> '*********************************************************
>> Option Compare Database
>> Option Explicit
>>
>>
>> Public Sub ParseTextFile()
>>    Dim d As DAO.Database
>>    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
>>
>>    Dim k As Integer
>>    Dim t As Integer
>>
>>    Dim FileName As String   ' Name of text file to process
>>    Dim InputString As String  ' input string
>>    Dim ProcName As String   ' name of function
>>    Dim subSTR As String
>>    Dim FuncSubType As String
>>
>>    Dim IsFuncSub As Boolean ' is this the start of a proc
>>
>>    Dim paren As Long
>>    Dim f As Long
>>
>>    Set d = CurrentDb
>>
>>    'open the recordset
>>    Set rs = d.OpenRecordset("tblCode")
>>
>> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>    'could read all of the text file names into an array
>>    ' then loop thru them
>>    FileName = "D:\docs\modules\Test_mod.txt"
>> '----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>    ' open the text file
>>    k = FreeFile
>>    Open FileName For Input As #k
>>
>>    'loop thru each line of the text file
>>    Do While Not EOF(k)
>>       IsFuncSub = False
>>
>>       'read line
>>       Line Input #k, InputString
>>       InputString = Trim(InputString)
>>
>>       'check for start of Function or Sub
>>       If InStr(1, InputString, "Function ") > 0 Then
>>          FuncSubType = "Function"
>>          f = InStr(1, InputString, "Function") + 9
>>          IsFuncSub = True
>>       ElseIf InStr(1, InputString, "Sub ") > 0 Then
>>          FuncSubType = "Sub"
>>          f = InStr(1, InputString, "Sub") + 4
>>          IsFuncSub = True
>>       End If
>>
>>       'is this the start of a Sub or Function?
>>       If IsFuncSub Then
>>          'get function name
>>          paren = InStr(1, InputString, "(")
>>          ProcName = Mid(InputString, f, paren - f)
>>
>>          'insert a new record
>>          rs.AddNew
>>          rs.Fields("txtSubFunc") = FuncSubType
>>          rs.Fields("txtName") = ProcName
>>          rs.Fields("Mcode") = InputString & vbCrLf
>>
>>          'loop thru the rest of the procedure
>>          Do
>>             Line Input #k, InputString
>>             rs.Fields("Mcode") = rs.Fields("Mcode") & InputString & 
>> vbCrLf
>>          Loop Until Trim(InputString) = "End " & FuncSubType
>>          rs.Update
>>       End If
>>    Loop
>>
>>    'clean up
>>    Close #k
>>    rs.Close
>>    Set rs = Nothing
>>    Set d = Nothing
>> End Sub
>> '******************************************************
>>
>>
>> Additional modifications to the code:
>>
>> ~   Error handler code
>> ~   Read all of the text file names into an array and loop thru them; 
>> delete
>> the files when all files have been processed
>> ~   Read all of the MDBs into an array, link/import the Modules, then 
>> export
>> the code, unlink, process text files
>>
>>
>>
>> HTH
>> -- 
>> Steve S
>> --------------------------------
>> "Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
>> (I came; I saw; I stuck around.)
>>
>>
>> "kc-mass" wrote:
>>
>> > I have hundreds of DBs and thousands of Procedures and Functions that 
>> > I've
>> > written over time.
>> > Right now they are stored in the original DBs.  To reuse them, I have 
>> > to
>> > remember which GD DB they were in.  Does anyone have a system or 
>> > concept
>> > (preferably Access based) for storing these in an easily retrieved 
>> > fashion?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Kevin
>> >
>> >
>> > .
>> > 


0
kc
12/16/2009 4:44:33 PM
I agree with you, but Kevin's first post said "I have hundreds of DBs and 
thousands of Procedures and Functions ......."

so Kevin would have to go thru each one of his DBs; he was trying to avoid 
this.

Where I discovered the problem with my code was when I ran the code on a 
module that only had the standard Windows File Open/Save dialog box code from 
"The Access Web" (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm)

It has a Type definition and global variables; the dialog box wouldn't 
function without those declarations.

One solution (maybe) is to check for words "Type", "Declare", "Global", .... 
 that is before the first SUB/FUNCTION  and print the MDB and module name so 
it can be reviewed or added to the specific SUB/FUNCTION it pertains to.


HTH
-- 
Steve S
--------------------------------
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
(I came; I saw; I stuck around.)


"Banana" wrote:

> Steve Sanford wrote:
> > One problem I haven't figured out how to deal with is if there are global 
> > variables or a global type definition for one or two procedures. Right now 
> > they are skipped. 
> > 
> > HTH
> 
> If there's a variable that should be shared among certain procedure and 
> isn't really meant to be truly global, mark them as private. This will 
> restrict the visibility to only procedures within the same module and be 
> inaccessible by any other procedures in other modules.
> 
> Example:
> 
> <code>
> 
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
> 
> Private MyVar As Long
> 
> Public Sub ShowIt()
> 
> Msgbox MyVar
> 
> End Sub
> 
> Public Sub IncrementIt()
> 
> MyVar = MyVar + 1
> 
> End Sub
> 
> </code>
> 
> In the example, MyVar is accessible only to ShowIt and IncrementIt. It 
> cannot be reached by any other procedure that aren't in the same module.
> 
> An addition to this is that for certain variables you may want to use 
> Property procedures which gives you more control over how the variable 
> can be managed.
> 
> 
> <code>
> 
> Option Compare Database
> Option Explicit
> 
> Private pMyVar As Long
> 
> Property Get MyVar() As Long
> 
> MyVaar = pMyVar
> 
> End Property
> 
> Property Let MyVar(lInput As Long)
> 
> If lInput > 0 Then
>     pMyVar = lInput
> End if
> 
> End Property
> 
> </code>
> 
> 
> Here, we restrict the publicly accessible variable "MyVar" to only 
> positive range of the Long by using Property Let to check the new value 
> and change the value only if it's bigger than zero.
> 
> It is possible to have only Proeprty Get without Property Let, thus 
> making the variable read-only, or Property Let without Property Get, 
> making the variable write-only. There's also Property Set but I really 
> don't like it as this requires using Set, and Property Let can handle 
> this just fine.
> 
> HTH.
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/18/2009 7:25:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Time to Number Conversion
Hi I run Excel 2K I download data from a mainframe. One of the entries that is download is a value that represents minutes (or hours) that reflect the duration of a process delay. Example 1 0:47 (which represents 47 minutes. Example 2 8:23 (which represents 8 hrs and 23 minutes) Here is my problem. Although it shows 0.47 in the cell, in the edit bar it shows 12:47:00 AM. as does 8:23 show as 8:23:00 AM. I need a formula that can look at these cells and convert them to a number format of actual minutes. These numbers will then be totalled using a pivot table. Is this possible? ...

How to convert text to number format
I copy a table of numbers from web to Excel. They appear as text and I can't do algebric command on them (For example their "sum" become zero) I know it is possible to change number format to text format but is there any command to convert numbers to texts so I can sum up them? Changing the format from: Format/Cells Number tab and category box doesn't help. Any comment is appreciated TIA Rasoul Rasoul Copy an empty cell. Select your range of data. Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 00:00:54 +0330, "Rasoul Khoshravan Azar&...

Averaging times that are not in a range
I am trying to get an average response time for numbers that are not listed in a range. They are formated as a custom format like this: h:mm:ss. I have been able to get a range to work, but not durations that have other cells between them. Below is a picture of my table. The three center times, Dispatch Time to On Scene, are the times I would like to average. Can you please help me with the correct calculation? Thanks! Tk-1 - Sta 1 - 96 Acoma Dispatch Time to Enroute 0:01:29 Dispatch Time to On Scene 0:06:00 Total Time-Dispatch to Available 0:29:15 E-2 - Sta 2 - 2065 Kiowa ...

Money Plus Primium in Retail Stores
When Will Microsoft release its new MS Money Plus Premium product in the retail stores? ...

GP10 Security Best Practices Question
I have read up the KB articles on the new role-based security with GP10 but have some questions. If I upgrade but choose not to convert the old security, what is the quickest/best way to get up and running with fresh GP10 security? I have about 50 User-Id's that will need updating. Thanks, DavidF. David, There is no "quick and easy way" around security in any GP release. For v10 in particular, I would suggest you start to look at the tasks and roles performed by your users then compare those to the existing tasks and roles created under the new security model, then ass...

Best procedure for forwarding email of fired sales employee?
We recently fired a sales employee and now I need to make sure his manager receives all the emails. What's the best practice for handling this type of situation. Should I give the manager rights to the fired employees inbox and add another mailbox withing Outlook, or is there a better way to handle this? Add the old SMTP addresses to the managers mailbox. ( changing the existing ones in the fired employee's mailbox first of course) On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:33 -0800, "Colin" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >We recently fired a sales employee and now I need to ...

preview pane + HTML content = slow response time ?
Hi, I've outlook 2003, when I click on an email with an HTML content, outlook stop responding for 2-3 seconds before displaying the content of the email. but the problem does not appear on all HTML message, but sometimes yes, sometimes no... any idea of the problem ? how to resolve the problem? thanks. Jerome. Do you have images blocked (the default) or are they loading? Does it seem to be specific types of HTML - i.e., more complex html can take longer to render. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Window...

How best to find out who did what when
I'm trying to satisfy the boss who wants the ability to find out "who did what when" on our DBs. Essentially this request is calling for 24x7 monitoring. Any advice out there please? Should I profile (and if so what events etc) or poll sysprocesses in an indefinite loop? Are there any other options? Thanks from an accidental DBA. nzrdb6 (alex.campbell@sqltechconsulting.co.uk) writes: > I'm trying to satisfy the boss who wants the ability to find out "who > did what when" on our DBs. Essentially this request is calling for > 24x7 monitoring. Any ...

Who has the best deal for Money Plus 2008?
Hi, Who has the best deal for Money Plus Deluxe / Premium versions? I cannot see Money Plus at Costco anymore. Thanks. I've never seen it at Sam's either, which seems unusual. Since I'm on version 2006, I'm hoping 2009 will be a good one. "--" wrote: > Hi, > Who has the best deal for Money Plus Deluxe / Premium versions? I cannot > see Money Plus at Costco anymore. > Thanks. > > > On Oct 8, 12:12?pm, ameridan <ameri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've never seen it at Sam's either, which seems unusual. Si...

Conditional Formatting of Charts
Is there anyway that I can conditionally format a chart? What I need to be able to do is set parameters for the colour of a data series. For example I have a chart showing total daily sales plotted on a day by day basis. I want to be able to set the colour for each days sales depending on the amount i.e. if it is over 500, then it will be green, between 350 and 499 amber, and anything below 350 will be red. I know this can be done on individual cells, but can it be done in a chart? All help greatly appreciated. John John - I have a couple approaches on my Chart Formatting page: ...

I get multiple copies of the same email every time I open outlook
I get my yahoo mail in outlook and every time I open outlook it looks and receives all mail in my yahoo address. So it doubles my mail every time I open it! HELP Rick <Rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get my yahoo mail in outlook and every time I open outlook it looks > and receives all mail in my yahoo address. So it doubles my mail > every time I open it! HELP WHat version and service pack level of Outlook? Have you enabled the account option to leave messages on the server? -- Brian Tillman ...

Excel worksheet function
Can I protect my worksheet in Excel and enable the spell function... Only by using VBA macro code. Requires VBA to unprotect the sheet, do the spellcheck then reprotect the sheet. Similar to....... Sub Spell_Check() ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme" Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033 ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme", DrawingObjects:=True, _ Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True End Sub If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on "getting started". http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstar...

convert to stored proc
Hello. I have been given a conversion assignment to convert Access db (frontend) with sql server 2005 backend to be included in a new webapp that is being constructed. Unfortunately, my stored proc creating is a bit weak and I'm not afraid to admit it. With that said, I came across an Access query that is puzzling me. Here it is; SELECT Purchase Orders *, POSO Relationships.SONumber AS RelatedSONumber, IIf([POSOType], [POSOType], 'Standard') AS POSOTypeFull, POSORelationships.MTXRMA, POSORelationships.SupplierRMA, POSORelationships.POSOType FROM PurchaseOrders ...

Hyperlink created in Access does not function when printed to pdf
I have a database in Access 2007 in which I created a field that hyperlinks to Google Maps for an office location. In Access database, the hyperlink works perfectly. When I print the report to Adobe PDF, the link cannot be accessed. I have a similar field that opens our e-mail program and generates an e-mail. THAT works, but the hyperlink does not. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance. You could use a different pdf printer driver. For example win2pdf will take any text that looks like a hyperlink and change it to an actual hyperlink in the pdf file. I assume t...

Best research method
Hi, I have 2 sheets in excel with around 20.000 records each. I would like to research on "sheet A" if data on "Sheet B" exists. for that i want to use 3 criteria from sheet B and search in sheet A. if found, i will do something from sheet B to Sheet A. i tried to use autofilter but it is very slow method for 20.000 records. i tried also to scan 1 by 1 but it is worse... Have you got some idea how can i speed up this research ? thanks a lot, Maileen I think you will need to explain in a bit more detail exactly what it is you want to do. Pete ...

date format
How do I change the date format to 10-Nov-2003 instead of 11/10/2003 in Outlook? change the date format in windows control panel, regional settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - OneNote 2003 Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&...

Word Crashes When Formatting Styles from Templates in the Project Gallery
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I wonder if anyone has seen this. <br> --------------------------------- <br><br>I can reproduce a crash of Word with many forms stored in our Project Gallery (PG) that have a style. I tested this with a newly created form and older existing forms. <br><br>Steps: <br><br>1. Create New Document <br> 2. Add Form fields <br> 3. Create a new paragraph style <br> 4. Apply style to some text <br> 5. Lock the form <br> 6. Save as a .DOT <b...

Best Approach?
Hi all, thanks for all the great advice I've gotten here. Every day my MFC skills improve! Long way to go yet though... I have an database app I created. It uses a form view with a list and tree control, everything works well so far. I want to have a way to generate a printable report, though. How best to implement that? IOW, I could have a dialog w/ a rich edit cntrol for the user to see the report, but I was wonder if there's a better way to do this. I don't really need editing functionality, just a way to look at and print the report, and possibly save it. How pra...

Description Field Displaying All (Not One At A Time)
How can I display the description field for all queries and tables at one time. We (our company) utilizes the description field as a source for instructions, tables use the field to list where source data is obtained, queries use the field as a instruction field for which queries to run and which order, ie Step 1 - Appends data from... Step 2 - Summarizes and groups.. . etc. We used to sort by description so that steps would be in numerical order. Its not as important for us to be able to sort on the description field as it is for them "ALL" to display at once. If this is ...

Losing formatting input an ntext field in a e-mail template
I have created an email template with and I want to display the information of a Ntext field in the e-mail. I created the e-mail and insert the template, after inserting I lost the formatting of the Ntext field (missing enters/breaks). Does have anyone a solution? I have started running into this exact same issue. Haven't found a resolution yet. Please let me know if you find something. I'll do the same. "Ed" wrote: > I have created an email template with and I want to display the information > of a Ntext field in the e-mail. > > I created the e-mail...

Hoe to change text format .126 to number format 0.126
Hi everyone. I has a column of data full of: ..123 ..123 ..65 ..89 --> all in text format. Is it possible to have some equation to change those data to: 0.123 0.123 0.65 0.89 --> as number format. Thx -- vitality ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vitality's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27267 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473711 Assuming that your data is in column A, in B1 put =value(A1) and formula-copy that for the length of your data, the format 0.12...

Access 2007 installs every time
Hello. I downloaded the trial version of Access 2007 and now it seems to be installing itself every time I open it. This takes half an hour or so. How can I stop this installation from occurring every time I open it? Robert ...

Conditional Formatting with Relative Reference.
Conditional Formatting with Relative Reference. Sample workbook: A B C D E F 1. 4.5 6 7.4 8.3 10 2 2. 1 2 3 4 3 2 3. 1 2 3 4 5 6 4. 6 5 4 3 2 1 Hi, How can Excel 2003 workbook be designed so that if a value of a cell is smaller or greater than the value of the cell, then color of the cell is auto formatted ? Formatting of the cell is as follows: Green if value is greater and Red if ...

Message Labs
Hi - I'm passing on the good word to other exchange admins since my company switched to Message Labs. It has FAR outperformed all other traditional smtp gateway a/v scanners at least in my experience - www.messagelabs.com I've deployed it at a 30,000 seat company. Message Labs "skeptic" engine doesn't operate like traditional a/v scanners which require users to report e-mail viruses to the vendor for a pattern update to be released. It uses a 2gb heuristics engine that actually detects unknown, new viruses. ...

Inexact? InsideTop and InsideLeft Method of PlotArea (Excel 97)
:mad: I am having a problem of using InsideLeft and InsideTop method o a PlotArea of a PlotChart. It doesn't give out an exact value, alway offset by a bit. Fairly annoying, is it a bug of Excel 97 -- jinta ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jintao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2539 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38866 It might be the difficulty of measuring in points a rectangle that's internally defined by the pixel density of the screen. How do you mean it&...