Open a database with no window, just form

I now have my own, home-built Auto FE Updater which basically involves first
launching a version-checker database (.mdb) which checks the file date of
the current app file on the user's local drive against the latest version on
a shared network drive and downloads from the net if the app version isn't
the latest. Then the version-checker mdb calls the actual application
database.

All of the above works nicely and is obviously easy to implement. So what's
my problem? Well, it may be nitpicky but I don't want the user to know that
the version-checker is actually a separate database. When the
version-checker launches, I want to hide the containing database window and
just show a form which just says, "Checking for new version...". The user
won't know the form is from a different database.

Can this be done?

0
David
7/12/2007 1:48:31 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this:

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0019.htm

--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I now have my own, home-built Auto FE Updater which basically involves
>first launching a version-checker database (.mdb) which checks the file
>date of the current app file on the user's local drive against the latest
>version on a shared network drive and downloads from the net if the app
>version isn't the latest. Then the version-checker mdb calls the actual
>application database.
>
> All of the above works nicely and is obviously easy to implement. So
> what's my problem? Well, it may be nitpicky but I don't want the user to
> know that the version-checker is actually a separate database. When the
> version-checker launches, I want to hide the containing database window
> and just show a form which just says, "Checking for new version...". The
> user won't know the form is from a different database.
>
> Can this be done?

0
Arvin
7/12/2007 3:09:06 AM
Well, an API function call is not what I was expecting. Seems to me I read
in an Access text somewhere that it could be done using native Access
commands. Or am I mistaken?

I've never used an API function call before and with 30+ users of my app and
the entire office now depending on it I can't take the risk of maybe
tripping over something new if it isn't clearly necessary.

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> Try this:
>
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0019.htm
>
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com
>
> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I now have my own, home-built Auto FE Updater which basically involves
>>first launching a version-checker database (.mdb) which checks the file
>>date of the current app file on the user's local drive against the latest
>>version on a shared network drive and downloads from the net if the app
>>version isn't the latest. Then the version-checker mdb calls the actual
>>application database.
>>
>> All of the above works nicely and is obviously easy to implement. So
>> what's my problem? Well, it may be nitpicky but I don't want the user to
>> know that the version-checker is actually a separate database. When the
>> version-checker launches, I want to hide the containing database window
>> and just show a form which just says, "Checking for new version...". The
>> user won't know the form is from a different database.
>>
>> Can this be done?

0
David
7/12/2007 4:49:48 AM
You can play around with using popup forms which are maximized and
borderless to hide the Access Window behind them, but since Access is a
Multiple Document Interface program everything takes place inside its
window. The API call is what changes the way it works. I'm sure you can test
your front-end copy without affecting other users.

BTW, the starter app on my website is an Access database that uses a custom
version property to update the local front-end. Since you set the version,
you don't have to worry about someone opening the copy on the server (thus
changing the timestamp) and triggering an update before you are ready:

http://www.datastrat.com/Download/Starter.zip
--

> Well, an API function call is not what I was expecting. Seems to me I read
> in an Access text somewhere that it could be done using native Access
> commands. Or am I mistaken?
>
> I've never used an API function call before and with 30+ users of my app
> and the entire office now depending on it I can't take the risk of maybe
> tripping over something new if it isn't clearly necessary.
>
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>> Try this:
>>
>> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0019.htm
>>
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com
>>
>> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I now have my own, home-built Auto FE Updater which basically involves
>>>first launching a version-checker database (.mdb) which checks the file
>>>date of the current app file on the user's local drive against the latest
>>>version on a shared network drive and downloads from the net if the app
>>>version isn't the latest. Then the version-checker mdb calls the actual
>>>application database.
>>>
>>> All of the above works nicely and is obviously easy to implement. So
>>> what's my problem? Well, it may be nitpicky but I don't want the user to
>>> know that the version-checker is actually a separate database. When the
>>> version-checker launches, I want to hide the containing database window
>>> and just show a form which just says, "Checking for new version...". The
>>> user won't know the form is from a different database.
>>>
>>> Can this be done?

0
Arvin
7/12/2007 12:32:35 PM
> BTW, the starter app on my website is an Access database that uses a
> custom version property to update the local front-end. Since you set the
> version, you don't have to worry about someone opening the copy on the
> server (thus changing the timestamp) and triggering an update before you
> are ready:

The FE on the server is secured. I'm the only one that could make changes to
it. I will update the FE locally then post it to the server. When the user
launches my version checker, it will see the new timestamp, download (copy)
the new mdb file, and then launch the updated app.

0
David
7/13/2007 2:35:04 AM

> The FE on the server is secured. I'm the only one that could make changes
> to it. I will update the FE locally then post it to the server. When the
> user launches my version checker, it will see the new timestamp, download
> (copy) the new mdb file, and then launch the updated app.

It is opening the database to change anything, including the data that
changes the date in an Access FE.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
7/14/2007 4:04:09 PM
I'm using FileDateTime() to check the timestamp of the latest version of the
FE.mdb file, which is resident on a shared network drive. I don't think
running the app changes that, or does it? I'll check this on Monday.

There are other options, of course. I could set and check a datetime field
in a table, for instance, and my version_checker.mdb database could track
that.

Doesn't really matter, because my users don't run the net version of the FE
file. They run a local copy only. They couldn't run the version on the net
even if they wanted to, because if they tried to open that database directly
(without using the \wrkgrp switch which is in the shortcut I've given them)
they would be denied access.

I suppose a knowledgeable and malicious user could switch to the appropriate
workgroup using the Workgroup Administrator and then run the app on the net,
but I'm not concerned with this. None of my users know anything about Access
and few know much about computers in general.

> "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The FE on the server is secured. I'm the only one that could make changes
>> to it. I will update the FE locally then post it to the server. When the
>> user launches my version checker, it will see the new timestamp, download
>> (copy) the new mdb file, and then launch the updated app.
>
> It is opening the database to change anything, including the data that
> changes the date in an Access FE.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com

0
David

Sibling Window KillFocus Issue (MFC)
I have a Dialog based MFC application that emulates a windows based browser with my own widgets and etc. Above the main window I have 4 children windows that are the primary focus of the project. The child windows in question have the capacity of minimizing and maximizing. Each of the 4 child windows act as siblings. Now the problem: I would like a maximized child window to automatically minimize when another child window is focused. I assumed OnKillFocus would accommodate this but it doesn't. More over, I do not have access to OnActivate, as they are children and only produce an O...

code to allow edits in form AND subform
Ok, here goes............. I have a form (frmBOL) which contains a subform (sfrmData). I have this code working to allow the form to be edited, but I can't seem to incorporate the subform into it. Everything I try gives me an error. Can anyone help? Private Sub cmdOK_Click() Dim sPassword As String sPassword = Nz(Me.txtPassword.Value, "") ' if it is a valid password, we let them edit the ' form that called this form. The calling form is ' responsible for check that the current user is ' either the QA tech on the record, or a me...

excel to get data from an access database
I need excel to get data from an access database similar to vlookup function from an excel table. In order to have only specific records copied to your Excel file, the query needs to include selection criteria (and sort order if necessary). Otherwise, all records get copied and you then need to create lookup formulas or use filters to restrict the set of record. If you are not familiar with Access queries, have someone who is create one for you as a stored query object in the database file. You can then use the Data>Import (Get) External Data and choose the query as your record sour...

Can a custom checkbox be added to a Scroll Window?
Hello all, I've added a custom checkbox field to GP. I have created the field in a separate table with a one to one relationship per the suggestions of various documents. My problem is now this, I cannot get the checkbox to work in a Scroll Window. I have the checkbox related to the PO Line table and can get it (the checkbox) to work on the PO Line Detail screen, but I really would like it to work on the PO Entry screen with the Scroll Window that contains all the PO Lines. I have added the checkbox onto the Scroll Window but it doesn't seem to work or be possible to fill t...

Relational Equiv. of Database
I'd like to create an XML schema that will allow me to save and retrieve data that is equivalent to a relational database with relationships defined between members of various tables. Is this possible with XML and if so can somebody point me to examples or other sources of information? TIA Brad ...

Publisher 2000

Process stealing window focus
Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing window focus? I want my process to run completely silent, no UI interuptions at all, so this includes when it steals the focus from my top window. Not sure exactly what you mean by this? Is the top window in the same application or a different application. Does the "process" do any UI at all? When does it interrupt your main window? Tom "Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9430ED69-207F-4266-9467-003F11BC11B7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to prevent a process from stealing wi...

excel as a database #2
Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? Phill Yes 32,767 characters, approx 1,024 visible in the cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Phill" <phill.hudson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:ccesl0$g3u$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Is there a limit to how many text characters that can go into a cell? > > Phill > > Phill, A cell can hold 32K characters, but only about 1K will be visible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MV...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

I don't show on windows friends list
I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am not in his blocked list? He has reinstalled it, with no luck. I can see him when he is online. appreciate any help on the situation, Bruce Is he using the same ID that you are using? I have had that experience where I used a different ID on WLM than elsewhere. -- rext "brucefl" wrote: > I have a friend who says he can not see me online, when I have mine set to > online, he can not see me, though he can see others. I am n...

Windows goes to the background
Hi Everyone, I am having a wiered problem. I have a Dialog based application that has a Modeless Child dialog. The child dialog is mostly hidden. I show the child dialog when I am syncing with the server to show progress message, and at the same time I disable the Main dialog with EnableWindow(FALSE), to simulate a modal dialog. Anyway when everything is done and I hide the Child dialog and call EnableWindow(TRUE) on the main dialog. When I do this the main dialog jumps behind all the other applications on the screen. This happens because of EnableWindow(FALSE), if I remove that line eve...

Windows Vista and RMS 2.0
Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. I'm running it on my laptop without issues. But this is just for demos and research. Have not intalled it in production yet "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F7BEAFDC0424@microsoft.com... > Has anyone upgraded to Vista using RMS 2.0? Any pros/cons on duing this. The Lack of non existant thermal printer drivers, for 1 "Bill Fry" <BillFry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1D4E574-5383-45D8-8E44-F...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

why is outlook closing when I try to maximise window?
Just started using Microsoft outlook 2000 for emails. Was using web based programmes before. Outlook express wouldn't recognise internet connection, so went to MS Outlook. After a lot of adjustments, finally got it to send and recieve however when it opens, it is in a minimized window. Every time I click the maximize button or try to expand the borders by clicking and dragging, it closes and gives me a message that outlook needs to close. Why is it doing that and how can I get it to open in a maximized window. ...

Need an open house sign in sheet

My windows Mail
When I hit "send / receive" in windows mail, (it just started today), I get a windows security box that says: logon to pop-server.socal.com "Please verify that both the user name and password are correct for your mail server." There are boxes for username and password. I put them in and hit "ok". I then get an error message: "account: 'pop-server.socal.rr.com',server:'pop-server.ca.rr.com',protocol:pop3,server response:'-ERR invalid username or pass word.'port:110, secure (SSL): no, server error: 0x800ccc90, error number...

In place CRM and Windows upgrade
I have a customer that has CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2000 and SQL 2000 Server. The customer wishes to upgrade to CRM 4.0 and Windows 2008, and remain on the same physical server. What is the best approach for this? Here what I am thinking: 1. Backup CRM databases 2. Format and Upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows 2003 3. Install SQL 2005 4. Install CRM 3.0 from Existing Database Option 5. Upgrade to CRM 4.0 6. Backup CRM 4.0 databases 7. Upgrade to Windows 2008 Is there any other critical steps I am missing for this? Hi, It sounds like a plan, however I think CRM 4.0 still hav...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links