Only change font fomat in select words within a memo field

I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if I
want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how can I
change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the selected
text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default black
color.

Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
nothing about what that underlying need is.

If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer alternate
approaches that still gets the job done...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
> select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if I
> want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how can
> change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the selected
> text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default
> black
> color.
>
> Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?

0
Jeff
6/3/2010 6:43:02 PM
Am I on the right path that this would call for the use of .selstart and/or
..sellength?

"garvic82" wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
> select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if I
> want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how can I
> change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the selected
> text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default black
> color.
>
> Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
It is my job to download the data into an Access database on a daily basis
and it's the end user that needs to monitor and edit the data once it is
there.  They need to verify some data that is in a long memo field and
highlight some things that are not correctly stated.  So, they need to select
some data/strings within this memo field and want the font to be in red and
highlighted in yellow once they have identified the string that needs
attention.  These corrections will then be available for future reference and
easily identified by the distinct font format applied.

Does this help?

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
> nothing about what that underlying need is.
>
> If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer alternate
> approaches that still gets the job done...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
> > select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if I
> > want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how can
> > change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the selected
> > text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default
> > black
> > color.
> >
> > Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
>

> .

So you're saying that comments are being added to a great big humongous pile
of comments (i.e., a memo field)?

Would it make it any easier if each comment got it's own record, instead of
having to try to find stuff within a memo field?

> It is my job to download the data into an Access database on a daily basis
> and it's the end user that needs to monitor and edit the data once it is
> there.  They need to verify some data that is in a long memo field and
> highlight some things that are not correctly stated.  So, they need to
> select
> some data/strings within this memo field and want the font to be in red
> and
> highlighted in yellow once they have identified the string that needs
> attention.  These corrections will then be available for future reference
> and
> easily identified by the distinct font format applied.
>
> Does this help?
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
>> nothing about what that underlying need is.
>>
>> If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer
>> alternate
>> approaches that still gets the job done...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
>> > select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if
>> > want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how
>> > can
>> > change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the
>> > selected
>> > text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default
>> > black
>> > color.
>> >
>> > Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
>>

>> .

0
Jeff
6/3/2010 7:48:17 PM
Garvic,

make sure the text box, on the form has Text Format set to Rich Text(data
tab of properties), as well as the table's memo field is rich text.

other than that there shouldn't be much to do except making sure the user
has access to the Font controls.

"garvic82" wrote:

> It is my job to download the data into an Access database on a daily basis
> and it's the end user that needs to monitor and edit the data once it is
> there.  They need to verify some data that is in a long memo field and
> highlight some things that are not correctly stated.  So, they need to select
> some data/strings within this memo field and want the font to be in red and
> highlighted in yellow once they have identified the string that needs
> attention.  These corrections will then be available for future reference and
> easily identified by the distinct font format applied.
>
> Does this help?
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
> > You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
> > nothing about what that underlying need is.
> >
> > If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer alternate
> > approaches that still gets the job done...
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Jeff Boyce
> > Microsoft Access MVP
> >
> > --
> > Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> > in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> > does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> >
> > Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> > guarantee as to suitability.
> >
> > You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
> > possible/necessary.
> >
> > "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
> > > select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if I
> > > want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how can
> > > change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the selected
> > > text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default
> > > black
> > > color.
> > >
> > > Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
> >

> > .

I have tried it that way, but it just changes all of the text in the memo box
and not just what was selected.  And I don't see an option to change this to
Rich Text in the Data Tab of this field property.  I can only change size,
color, etc.

"tighe" wrote:

> Garvic,
>
> make sure the text box, on the form has Text Format set to Rich Text(data
> tab of properties), as well as the table's memo field is rich text.
>
> other than that there shouldn't be much to do except making sure the user
> has access to the Font controls.
>
> "garvic82" wrote:
>
> > It is my job to download the data into an Access database on a daily basis
> > and it's the end user that needs to monitor and edit the data once it is
> > there.  They need to verify some data that is in a long memo field and
> > highlight some things that are not correctly stated.  So, they need to select
> > some data/strings within this memo field and want the font to be in red and
> > highlighted in yellow once they have identified the string that needs
> > attention.  These corrections will then be available for future reference and
> > easily identified by the distinct font format applied.
> >
> > Does this help?
> >

> > "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
> >
> > > You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
> > > nothing about what that underlying need is.
> > >
> > > If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer alternate
> > > approaches that still gets the job done...
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Jeff Boyce
> > > Microsoft Access MVP
> > >
> > > --
> > > Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> > > in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> > > does not constitute endorsement thereof.
> > >
> > > Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
> > > guarantee as to suitability.
> > >
> > > You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
> > > possible/necessary.
> > >
> > > "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > .

No, nothing will be added to the memo field.  There are legal and formal
reasons why we need to keep it in tact and just identify the areas that need
to be addressed.  The length or contents of this memo field will not change.
It will just be used to identify problem areas for future reference and to
discuss with the person who entered the data in there (correct the paper, if
you will ).   In the end the database will only keep the records which are
very few at a time where errors are identified.

garvic82 wrote:

> I have tried it that way, but it just changes all of the text in the memo
> box
> and not just what was selected.  And I don't see an option to change this
> Rich Text in the Data Tab of this field property.  I can only change size,
> color, etc.

Are you using Access 2007 with the AccDB file format?  You need that to use
Rich Text (actually HTML) in Access.  For older versions you woudl have to
use a third party ActiveX control.

In either case format changes DO change what is stored in the database
because it adds the formatting tags to the data.
0
Rick
6/3/2010 11:32:27 PM
"garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It is my job to download the data into an Access database on a daily basis
> and it's the end user that needs to monitor and edit the data once it is
> there.  They need to verify some data that is in a long memo field and
> highlight some things that are not correctly stated.  So, they need to
> select
> some data/strings within this memo field and want the font to be in red
> and
> highlighted in yellow once they have identified the string that needs
> attention.  These corrections will then be available for future reference
> and
> easily identified by the distinct font format applied.
>
> Does this help?
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> You've described "how" you are trying to solve some business need, but
>> nothing about what that underlying need is.
>>
>> If you'll explain a bit about it, folks here may be able to offer
>> alternate
>> approaches that still gets the job done...
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>> --
>> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
>> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
>> does not constitute endorsement thereof.
>>
>> Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as is", with no
>> guarantee as to suitability.
>>
>> You can thank the FTC of the USA for making this disclaimer
>> possible/necessary.
>>
>> "garvic82" <garvic82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I would like to know if there is a way to change the font color only on
>> > select words or areas within a memo field and save the changes?  So, if
>> > want to either highlight or make some text red within a memo field how
>> > can
>> > change the font format and keep it.  This would only apply to the
>> > selected
>> > text within the memo field and the rest would remain the same default
>> > black
>> > color.
>> >
>> > Is this an event procedure in VB that can be done?
>>

>> .

0
KAREN

how create sum function in form field
I'm trying to utilize the sum function in a field on an Outlook 2002 form. I want the form field to sum up the other form fields. Sum is not a function listed in the value tab. Please advise. ...

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

enterprise custom field for overdue tasks
I'm trying to create a view that shows overdue tasks and am having some trouble. I went into enterprise custom fields and tried to create a new Task > Date field with the following formula :IIf([Finish]<[Current Date] And [% Complete]<100,"red","green"). Now I would expect it to populate that field with either "red" or "green" depending on if it meets the criteria. Furthermore I would like to use graphical indicators to show red or green stoplights. However, I cannot get this formula to work - When I add the new field to a ...

How to change icon for my application

How to change newsgroup message font

How do I replace the last entire word in text cells?
I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or bytes. I this case, I want to replace the last word in all cells but the word is always different (ie. varying number of characters). Thanks in advance! Array entered (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), this will work: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))+1,1),0)) Change the reference to A1 to which ever cell you want. -- Regards, Dave "George" wrote: > I understand the REPLACE command but it seems restricted to characters or > bytes. I this case, I wan...

Change a formula to an acual number

Refering to lowest record in select subquery
HI All, In the subquery below how would I refer to the lowest 3 orderID? Thanks in advance for any help SELECT Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID FROM Orders WHERE Orders.OrderID IN (SELECT TOP 3 OrderID FROM Orders AS Dupe WHERE Dupe.CustomerID = Orders.CustomerID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID DESC) ORDER BY Orders.CustomerID, Orders.OrderDate, Orders.OrderID ORDER BY Dupe.OrderDate DESC, Dupe.OrderID ASC) You might need to remove " Dupe.OrderDate DESC, "...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Exporting a date field in Excel to an Outlook Calendar?
Is this possible? ...

Select Top With parameter
Hello everyone.... i force that one problem that when i wan select top 5 record from one table on reporting service ....it exist "must declare scalar variable".... example: select top @Top from table1 Error Message : "must declare scalar variable".... In sql @top is a variable named top. to select the top 5 rows you should use select top 5 * from table1. or if you want to make the number of rows returned variable use select top (@top) * from table1. Then you need to define the variable in the report designer; to do this goto the query designer, query properties and on...

Appendices Struggles in Word 2007
I'm using Word 2007. I'm using the built-in Heading styles to create sections and subsections for display in the TOC. Each section starts with "# Title." For example, the third section displays as "3 Message Formats." The last two sections are Appendices. I don't want them to display as "10 Appendix" and "11 Appendix," just "Appendix A" and "Appendix B." I can do this for the first headings, but I can't get the subsections (2-4 levels below this first headings) to work. I've read through Shau...

Should I change this code?

symbols won't work in form fields
I have Access 2002. We write a lot of letters in French and as I have a QWERTY keyboard, we have shortcuts for the french letters which are missing from the keyboard. For example Ctrl + e is e with an accute accent, Alt + e is e with a grave accent, and so on. It all works just fine in WORD. But in my forms in my ACCESS database, in my fill-in fields, the shortcuts simply don't work. And there is no "symbol" option available in the tool bar to insert a symbol or French character. Is there any way I can add this function in to the database ? thanks .. Roger ...

Outlook and Word 2003 editing and error problem
This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before, but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning. I turned off the PC and it was on the next day. problems: 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use arrow keys to navigate when editing. 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit, Wo...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change