I have a form in Access 2003 linked to a SQL Server 2005 table.  When
I clear the value in a textbox (bound field is varchar and is
required), I want the before update event to run to tell the user the
value cannot be null.

When I press the tab button to move to the next field after clearing
the texbox, the before update event is not triggering and instead I'm
getting the following error:

You tried to assign the Null value to a variable that is not a Variant
data type. (Error 3162)

How can I prevent nulls before and this error from triggering?

Thanks!

0
SUZYQ
6/14/2007 5:45:12 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

spin button value
Hi Does the value in spinbutton properties have to be numeric or can it be a day eg mon tues wed etc if so how do I dio this Thanks tina A Forms toolbar spinner control returns an integer. You can have another cell with a formula that references the cell linked to the spinner like =CHOOSE(A1,"Sun","Mon","Tues","Weds","Thurs","Fri","Sat") Here A1 is linked to the spinner. You'd want to limit the spinner's minimum value to 1 and maximum value to 7 in this case. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "tina" <tina@...

Null Is Null
I've got a text box in a report that's not returning properly. Here's its Control Source: =[Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]![srptFGPKConfigsSUPK_totalwt]! [SumWtg]+IIf(IsNull([Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]! [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt]![SumWtg]),Null,"") This returns #Error. It's definitely my IIf statement as it returns properly when removed however there are times when [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt].[SumWtg] will be null. In fact, this subreport will not appear if no records exist. I suspect that this is the problem. How can I write this Control Source t...

if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ??
if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use =IF(A1="","",A1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "WGeorg" <WGeorg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09FCCF25-D0DC-4B1E-BFA1-CEF9A9327C46@microsoft.com... > if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? > because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for > (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use this ...

Editing forms
What I wanted to know is how I edit Contacts Form. If you open a contact form then u see all the tabs Info, Sales, Cases, Activities,Notes,Contact .... on the left site how do I add one to the left side and create new forms to go in there? Like create one called "Professional" and create a form for that professional tab ... you need to start looking at the sdk which will explain how to add customizations like this to crm "Edgar Engibarian" <edgar@bellcpa.com> wrote in message news:eSuPJiYTDHA.3132@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > What I wanted to know is how I edit ...

Designing outlook forms
Trying to create a form with several rows of radio buttons or checkboxes, don't mind which, however, do not know how to make it possible to select a button or box on every line. It must be possible but we can't get it to work have tried the properties value and groupname and grouping and naming the same etc etc. Can anyone help. Checkbox makes it so that if you have three boxes you can select all three whereas the radio button allows you to select one which is what we want, but when you get down to the next row and select one, then the previous row deselects - I hope you get ...

Syntax for Is Not Null ?
When one of our forms is opened (Current event) I want a message box fired by certain conditions (that the Ref control does have a value, but the Country control is empty). I have tried various bits of code along the lines shown below, but keep getting runtime errors. Wot's wrong with the following, please? If [Me.Ref] is not null and [Me.Country] = "" Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" Many thanks CW CW - Try this: If (not isnull([Me.Ref])) AND IsNull([Me.Country]) Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" -- Daryl S ...

Form performance
Hello All Does the number of buttons on a form affect its opening speed? I have a form that takes 30-40 seconds to load - but only the first time it's loaded: after closing the form, it can be re-opened very quickly! Why the difference? Final question: is it possible to copy buttons from one control to another - ideally more than one at a time - in a way such that their OnClick events come with them? The form is based on a simple query that opens almost instantly. The form did have 6 subforms, about 200 buttons (almost all of which were to open reports) and about 10...

When is a Null not a Null?
I have a form which is used for adding and entering data depending on where it is called from. When called in add mode (acFormAdd) a blank form is openned. When the cursor enters the text box [Name] on the form field I am trying test whether it is empty so that a search form can be openned if a new name is to be added. (I don't want the search form to open in cases when the form already has data in and I am editing rather than adding data). The form is based on a query and the data displayed in [Name] is the result of a calculated field in the query which concatenates firstname and surn...

retrieving the XmlEnumAttribute and the enum-values (2)
This post is a followup to the thread "retrieving the XmlEnumAttribute values for an Enum" in this same forum earlier this month, since my last query in that thread went unanswered. I have an enum defined (DotNet v2) as public enum velocityUom { [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlEnumAttribute("m/s")] ms = 21, [System.Xml.Serialization.XmlEnumAttribute("cm/a")] cma, ... } My original post was to ask how I could retrieve the XmlEnumAttribute values for this Enum so that I could create a combo box with values like "m/s", &qu...

What is the Null character?
What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell? I am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to represent the cell as if it was empty. I have tried using "" as an empty cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell. You can't do what you want to do. A formula always returns *something*. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Quinn Ramsey" <Quinn Ramsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D67F6311-0CCA-48B5-A...

Passing Values between forms
I am trying to link to forms. I have a button on the main form (frmCompanies) that needs to open another form when a button is clicked. The new form that opens is frmScheduledActivities. When it open it needs to check to see if there is an existing record (scheduled activity) for the company and if there is no scheduled activity be set to add a new record. When the button is clicked on the main company form (on the on click event) this code runs: Private Sub cmdCallBack_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdCallBack_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String...

Charting null values
I have a chart that is plotting null values. I tried the formula =if(C25="",N/A(),Sum(C22:C25)). I've also deleted the formula to create a completely null cell. I've been to Tools, Options, Chart and selected Plot empty cells as Not plotted, zero and Interpollated As well as turning Plot Visible Cells only (turned it on and off) Nothing seems to make a difference. Any suggestions? Stephanie, what kind of chart are you using? Can you give an example of how your data table looks like? br, Henk "StephanieH" wrote: > I have a chart that is plotting ...

How to Link a cell in an Excel spread sheet to a text value in Visio 2007
I would like to have a text value in Visio take the value of a cell in an Excell spread sheet. Is there a way to do this, at least on opening the Visio Document? Thanks in advance, Marco UCO Lick Observatory Laboratory for Adaptive Optics visio 2007 professional http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/HA100518191033.aspx al "Marco" <null@null.net> wrote in message news:uCcafQkuKHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > I would like to have a text value in Visio take the value of a cell in an > Excell spread sheet. Is there a way to do this, at leas...

NULL values
Working with a downloaded table form a Lotus Notes contact manager. Now in access call tblclients. I query certain info. to update the records. BUT...'Is Null' does not work. It comes back empty and there are definitely empty contents in the fields I chose. I know how to do this as it works in my other tables on other databases. The only difference I can see in this table as opposed to tables created directly in Access is the Field Design property called Unicode Compression saying No instead of the default Yes. I changed the Unicode to Yes in case this had something to do with it and ...

How can I check a combo box content or value or something
Hi. I need to check if my combobox has something on it, what I mean is if my users choose any value. I need something looked like: if combo1 then msgbox "you must choose an option on Combo1" exit sub end if How can I do something looked like? Regards, Marco Marco, In the AfterUpdate event of the combo type, if IsNull(combo1.text) then msgbox "you must choose an option on Combo1" End If "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92B57DBB-74BC-4177-AB68-A87153654F34@microsoft.com... > Hi. I need to check if my combobox h...

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

Can I set an audio alert that triggers as Excel cell value chgs?
I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes to a specific value? Can this be done? ....I'm not familiar with any audio alerts but, you can use conditional formatting to the cell's format change when it value changes. Go to Format...Conditional Formatting. You can then either set a value or use a formula and set the format (what it will look like when the cell is the value that you set). "SellUnHi" wrote: > I would like to add an audio alert to a spreadsheet cell whenever it changes > to a specific value? Can this be done? L...

PrimaryContactID NULL
Hello, i have discovered a strange behavior of CRM regarding the relationship between accounts and contacts: Some of my accounts show up a referenced contact but do not have a PrimaryContactID GUID in the databasefield. Both where converted from a lead which is refrenced with the correct GUID in the OriginatingLeadID Field in the database? Any idea how this can happen? Regards Sebastian When you convert a lead into an account/contact the contact references the account throught the parent customer field. The account does not reference the contact (this would be the primary contact fi...

Using CORREL with arrays containing null values
XL Gurus... I'm using the CORREL function, but one of the arrays I'm comparing has null values (entered as #N/A), so my result is #N/A. How can I modify my formula to correlate all the points in the 2 arrays, apart from the null values and their corresponding entries in the other array? You might incorporate an IF function, along the lines of IF(ISNUMBER(your array function here),your array function here,0) It seems redundant, but it evaluates the array function to determine if it is numeric. ...

Sheet Name Refering to Cell Value
I want to name a sheet to the cell value in A2. Cell A2 has an Alt-enter in the cell. I want the sheet name to be the cell value of the first line only. Can anybody help. TIA Greg One way: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myStr As String Dim vbLFPos As Long With ActiveSheet myStr = .Range("a2").Value vbLFPos = InStr(1, myStr, vblf) If vbLFPos > 0 Then myStr = Left(myStr, vbLFPos - 1) On Error Resume Next .Name = myStr If Err.Number <> 0 Then MsgBox "couldn...

hyperlink to form
Making flow charts in different pages of the same Visio file. I would like to add a hyperlink from one shape on page 1 to a specific shape on page 2. The manual doesn't mention this possibility. But maybe one of you found a trick? ------=_NextPart_0001_B5EDE730 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit For assistance, kindly check this web page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/HP010366731033.aspx Or search for this topic in Visio 2003 help: "Add a link to a shape or page in a Visio drawing " Regards, Jagadeesh. P -------------------- From: &quo...

Delete Common Cell Values
I have Excel 2003. Columns A and B have invoice numbers from different time periods. I need a formula that will look in both columns and delete the invoice numbers that appear in both columns A and B. Any help is appreciated. -- Mike Mike, Use two columns of formulas. The first =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,B:B,False))) The second: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(B2,A:A,False))) Copy to match your columns, then copy both columns of formulas and paste special as values. Then sort all columns based on the first column of formulas-converted-to-values, and delete the values in column A where the value i...

average values
hello, i am trying to calculate averages using excel's median and avarag calculations but after multiple attampts>with no luck!. I have values in 409 cells with only one or two gaps between cells when i use the two sums described above i get very different values and also i get a different answer when i manually calculate. any advice on the best and most accurate sum to use? Thanks for any help -- confusedexcele ----------------------------------------------------------------------- confusedexceler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1658 Vie...