Noob Query

Hello Gurus,

I have inherited a db that has two tables.
Table 1 has a Names field and info in other fields. It has 847 records.
Table 2 has a Names field and different info in other fields. It has 693
records.

The 693 Names in Table 2 are in Table 1 but I need the list of Names from
Table 1 that are NOT in Table 2.

I can't get my head round the query that I need (Access 2003)
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Joskin

0
Joskin
5/16/2007 12:48:54 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Check out the Unmatched Query wizard when you select New Query.

--
--Roger Carlson
  MS Access MVP

"Joskin" <reply@this.group> wrote in message
> Hello Gurus,
>
> I have inherited a db that has two tables.
> Table 1 has a Names field and info in other fields. It has 847 records.
> Table 2 has a Names field and different info in other fields. It has 693
> records.
>
> The 693 Names in Table 2 are in Table 1 but I need the list of Names from
> Table 1 that are NOT in Table 2.
>
> I can't get my head round the query that I need (Access 2003)
> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Joskin

0
Roger
5/16/2007 12:54:08 PM
Roger,

That was perfect !

Many Thanks,
Joskin

"Roger Carlson" <RogerCarlson@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> Check out the Unmatched Query wizard when you select New Query.
>
> --
> --Roger Carlson
>  MS Access MVP
>  Access Database Samples: www.rogersaccesslibrary.com
>  Want answers to your Access questions in your Email?
>
> "Joskin" <reply@this.group> wrote in message
>> Hello Gurus,
>>
>> I have inherited a db that has two tables.
>> Table 1 has a Names field and info in other fields. It has 847 records.
>> Table 2 has a Names field and different info in other fields. It has 693
>> records.
>>
>> The 693 Names in Table 2 are in Table 1 but I need the list of Names from
>> Table 1 that are NOT in Table 2.
>>
>> I can't get my head round the query that I need (Access 2003)
>> Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> Joskin

0
Joskin

Unable to add Query-based Distribution Group to Public Folders Permissions
Hello. I follow the following process to add a query-based distribution group to the ACLs of a public folder: Right Click on the folder -> Properties Permissions Tab -> Client Permissions Button Whenever I add a group, I press OK. As soon as I go back to check the permissions, they have reverted to defaults. I can add individual users and simple distribution groups, but not query-based ones. Any ideas? Rob Vella rob@absnetworks.com Query-based distribution groups can not be security principals. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822897 Mariah <robvella@gmail.com> skrev i med...

MS Query Column Headings and Calculated Fields
I'm using MS Query to pull data from an ODBC data source. Everything works fine and I can extract data just great. I'm wondering, however, calculating some fields with the query. I can't seem to add a column heading without enclosing the heading in quotes. That would normally be fine, but everytime I go to edit the query and extra set of quotes is added to the column heading. Is there any way to get around this? I also would like to know if there is a way to use calculated fields in other calculations. If so, is there any documentation out there on how to do this? Thanks, -...

Forms and queries
I have a form with two subforms which are showing me the result of my calculations. subform 1 = yearly payment (the subform has always only one line) subform 2 = Halfyear payment structute (this subform has always two lines) I am using the form to write an offer (It's working perfect, but on the offer the client sees the yearly payment and the halfyear payment structure). I want to use the same queries to write the bill (on the bill should be either the yearly payment or the halfyear payment) So, I created two checkboxes Yes/No One for yearly payment and one for halfyearpayment. If I...

Update cell based on date range
Hey guys! I was wondering if I could get some help here. I would lik to update a cell based on a date range. For example, I would like t update the value of a cell to the value of another cell if the curren date is between July 1st and July 10th. However, if the date i outside the date range, I want the value for that cell to not b updated, and be the previous value. Can anyone give me an example a to how I would do this? Thanks!! -- deversol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- deversole's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=geti...

sumif function in Access query, possible?
Hello, I have a query I am trying to calculate the sum of qty if OprStatus equal 1, but there is no sumif function in Access. What can I do to work around it? Thanks Cam wrote: > Hello, > > I have a query I am trying to calculate the sum of qty if OprStatus > equal 1, but there is no sumif function in Access. What can I do to > work around it? Thanks TotalQty:SUM(IIF([OprStatus]=1.[qty],0) -- HTH, Bob Barrows If that is the only sum you want, you can bring OprStatus in the grid, change the GROUP BY to WHERE, and add the criteria: = 1. I assume you ...

Need a report or query(?)
I have a table of class information that contains class name, start date, instructor, start time and days held - the days held (if more than one day) repeat in separate records. I need to end up with one record per class that shows class name, instructor, start date and the days and times held. (Also in the mix is that times held can be different each day held.) Where do I start? A query? Two queries? I started by creating a table and grouping on class name so I have a table with non-dup class names...now, I am dead in the water! Thanks in advance! On Tue, 18 May 2010 0...

Noob question
I really need help wiht this problem . How do you alter a column size? I did it once where the cursor would just move it bigger or smaller. I want to know how you do that. I would be very grateful for any help. Thanks -- Micro_pal ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Micro_pal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26941 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401633 If you want to make column A bigger, place the cursor on the line which is between column A and column B. The mouse cu...

Payables Management query
Hi everybody - can somebody tell me which table holds the invoice information for payables management. I have to make a query that show which checks paid for which invoices and I have to include the invoice description as well. Thanks!! PM10000 - PM Transaction WORK File PM20000 - PM Transaction OPEN File PM30200 - PM Paid Transaction History File Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Michael, I have posted code for a SQL view that may already have everything you need except the invoice descrip...

Query #4
Hello, I'm sure there must be a way to do this. I have a group of sheets selected. I copy from one cell to another cell, the ref transfers to each sheet with the sheet it belongs too. However I need to change the cell to a different cell. eg at moment it something like, sheet one has ='sheet one' H4, on sheet two it will have ='sheet two' H4, but I need to change the H4 to say H15, but I still want it to relate to the correct sheet. When I have all the sheets selected, and go onto the cell to change H4 to H15, it changes all the sheets to the one that is in front??...

Date activated query!
If my tblHorseInfo has these fields HorseID.Number, DateAlert.Date/Time , AlertInfo.Text How would I design the query to show this on the Date Set I am going to have a Listbox [ListAlert]on my Main Menu that will be visible when there is a record to Show Me.ListAlert.Visible = IIf(Me.ListAlert.ListCount = 0, False, True) showing these 3 fields -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3 "Bob Vance" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:%23tXdL30rKHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx...

noob questions
sorry, to bother u with a noob question, but for selfstudy purposes i have come across a thing that i would like to figure out on how it works. how does it work ? (i don t even know what it is called, so i best describe what i mean.... if you have a few rows and you want to make them dissappear with a "plus sign in front! so you can open and close this range of coloumns ... how do you do that ... i mean how do you make this kind of view? (or at least what is this feature called, so i can find out in the office help feature... that would already be a superb help! thankx y´all ...

ldap query #8
Hi, I have to find users in a particular domain: is it possible make ldap query like this (distinguishedName query=*domainname*) any help -- Dambo That wasn't a lot of inormation...could you be a bit more specific? -- Martina "Damb0" <Damb0@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73155D91-DB76-4DDC-85CB-C9293BEAA17E@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have to find users in a particular domain: is it possible make ldap > query > like this > > (distinguishedName query=*domainname*) > > any help > -- > Dambo I'll assume Win...

query help 12-05-09
i am using sql server 2000 and i need to do the following. sql server 2005 made stuff like this easy. i have a table like this (pseudo coded) CREATE TABLE CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID INT, CONTRACT_NUMBER VARCHAR(10), CONTRACT_REGION VARCHAR(10), STATUS VARCHAR(20), CONTRACT_DATE DATETIME) INSERT INTO CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID, CONTRACT_NUMBER, CONTRACT_REGION, STATUS, CONTRACT_DATE) VALUES (1, '1000', 'EAST', 'IN PROGRESS', '2007-01-01') INSERT INTO CONTRACT (CONTRACT_ID, CONTRACT_NUMBER, CONTRACT_REGION, STATUS, CONTRACT_DATE) VALUES (2, '2000...

Sequential number in a query
Hi All, I am working on a YTD Sales report. I would like to know if I can create a cell in a query that will be a squential number. Starting with 1 on up. If so how would I do this? Report would look something like: Num Customer YTD Sales 1 Bobs Sales 495,000 2 Denny's 395,000 3 Biffs Supply 390,000 4.... -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You can use a text box in the report: Control Source: =1 Running Sum: Over All -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mattc66 via AccessMo...

Query criteria 05-23-07
Hello, Does anyone know a good way of including special characters inside of an Access query criteria? IE, the following data is in a field that needs to be searched against: Field 1: dr100 dr101 dr102(a) As so forth...how do you set your query criteria so you can search for the dr102(a) entry? ...

Excel query #2
Convert a number into words On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:26:06 -0800, Dennis <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Convert a number into words Here y'go: 7 = Seven. Or alternatively, this article may be of use to you: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;140704& --------------------------------------------------------- Hank Scorpio scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.) * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! * Hi Dennis, A couple of MS links for you to check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

Query error after converting
I'm running Access 2003. I have a working database. It seems as if the database is in Access 2000 format, because when I go to Convert, the 'Convert to Access 2000' option is grayed out. I need to convert this database to both Access 2002-2003 and Access 97. I have this part of VB code, and it works fine in the current version, as well as in Access 2002-2003 (after converting to Access 2002-2003). Dim rstRoutes As Recordset Dim strSQL As String ...... strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT [Route] " & _ "FROM Highways_Info " & _ "WHERE ...

Microsoft Query: Parameter Query?
Hi, In Excel I have a connection to a database. This connection uses a Query. In this query I want to add parameters that will change. For instance, I want the query to return only rows of data between a 'start' and a 'finish' date. How can I accomplish that? Microsoft Help talks over "parameter query (parameter query: A type of query that, when you run it, prompts for values (criteria) to use to select the records for the result set so that the same query can be used to retrieve different result sets.)." I could not find where or how I can accomplish that. A...

VBA input, add to query
I want to use an inputbox in the Form_Load event, and then use that input as a parameter in several queries. Is that possible? How would I put the input values in the queries? (My form uses the data from several queries.) TIA You need to use an unbound textbox to enter the parameter. In the query use this as criteria, replace form & textbox names with yours --- [Forms]![YourFormName]![YourTextbox] The above is for exact match criteria. For start of field use --- Like [Forms]![YourFormName]![YourTextbox] & "*" For match any part of field use --- Li...

Need a query that does this...
Consider the following table: ID dateField intFieldA intFieldB stringFieldA stringFieldB I want a query that will give me the row with MAX(dateField) grouped by ID. If I say: SELECT Max(dateField), ID FROM table GROUP BY ID; Then that will give me each ID in the table and its maximum dateField. I want the entire ROW that contains this maximum dateField, and I want it for each ID. How do I write this query? Do it in 2 seperate queries ( or in a union ). Part 1 finds the max date and ID, part 2 links the date/ID back to the table and pulls the row that...

noob question
We are currently running sharepoint on a server2003 r2 machine. A recent addition of data took it over the 2gb limit so now we are unable to do anything with the site. Rather than battle with this problem it makes more sense to consider an additional server running SQL server to host it. Does this make sense? What would you recommend for the installation? At the moment it is a single server installation, running Exchange with approx 25 users Thanks in advance. If this is an inappropriate ng then doubtless someone will tell me Geoff ...

Query to extract
I am trying to find a solution to the following. I have a Table with thousands of records that look like the following: "CN=ExchangeService I want my QUERY to extract everything to the RIGHT of the "=" sign In the example above.....I want to endup with ExchangeService Can anyone help me solve this?? Thanks Warren Phillips On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:42:00 -0800, WDP wrote: > I am trying to find a solution to the following. I have a Table with > thousands of records that look like the following: > > "CN=ExchangeService > > I want my QUERY to extra...

Help with a partial match query
I asked this question here many, many years ago and have since forgotten the answer. I have a table with address data in it, spread over several fields. One of the fields is called "Zip" and is a text field of 5 characters in length. I am trying to write a query that will prompt the user to enter the first FOUR digits of the zip code and have it return all matches for those four characters. For example, 1234 would return 12345, 12346, and 12347 and so on. My recollection is that the query was something like: SELECT * FROM addresses WHERE Zip LIKE "[Enter...

combining two queries
I have a query that finds the running sum of Inventory using the dsum function. I have another query that finds the running sum of Accounts Receivable again using the same method. I have a list box on a form showing the data based on the inventory running sum query. I would like this list box to have the AR data in it also. Is this possible? Tom, I'm assuming that what you mean by a running Inventory and running Accounts Recievable is that these queries have a date field, and sum some other field (or combination of fields) for all values before that date, for a particular produ...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...