Newbie Help with form

Hi,

I am looking to have a form, where when I select one field in a combo
box, it automatically updates all the other fields to match that list

so for example.. I have a table with 3 fields
telephone
first name
last name

So I want a drop down box on the form, and when I choose the
telephone
number i want, it automatically shows the first and last name with
it...

Additionally I would want to be able to choose a last name, and it
show the telephone and first name associated

Access 2003

Thanks in advance
0
potentus
2/13/2008 9:50:33 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:50:33 -0800 (PST), potentus <neopotent@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking to have a form, where when I select one field in a combo
>box, it automatically updates all the other fields to match that list
>

>so for example.. I have a table with 3 fields
>telephone
>first name
>last name
>

>So I want a drop down box on the form, and when I choose the
>telephone
>number i want, it automatically shows the first and last name with
>it...

Do you want to UPDATE - i.e. copy the first name and last name from one table
and insert them into a different table, or into a new record of this form's
table?

Or do you want to FIND - navigate the form so that it's displaying the data
stored in the table for the selected record?

Or do want to just DISPLAY - have the form based on one table, but simply show
(for the user's information) the other fields in the combo box's rowsource
table?

Any of these can be done, but they are different.

My guess is that you want the second of these; if so, delete any combo box you
now have (unless you need it for some other purpose), and turn on the magic
wand icon in the toolbox. Create a new Combo box and choose the option "use
this combo to find a record".

If that's not the situation post back.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

HELP !! Combo box to feed other combo boxes
Hi, I have a form with a stock list. One field is [Dealer Allocated] so stock can be allocated to a specific dealer - this is a combo box (combo1) for single allocations. I now also want to be able to update this combo box for several records in bulk. I thought I would do this by having a second combo box in the footer of the form which the user selects the dealer from and then clicks a button which looks for first record without dealer allocated and updates the value of combo1 to the value of combo2. This would then be enclosed in a Do Loop for specified number of records. I can...

Help needed in print
hi I am displaying lot of labels and progress bars in side form view. I want to print all the label and progress bar as it looks in the form view. thanks in advance with regards Harish Harish, You might be interested in Joe Newcomber's site, here: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Bitmap%20series where you'll find code for screen copying and bitmap printing. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Harish" <harish.k at sify.com> a �crit dans le message de news:OCcSb3u5DHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > hi > > I am displaying lot of labels and progress...

Need help with http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212686
I am trying to use the KB article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212686 to increment an Invoice number automatically. I am confused about where they want me to put the code. They make refference to storing the code in a "Protected form template" I don't know what this is. Can someone please help Thanks That's for Word isn't it. Try John's solution at http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "John" <anywhere@s.com> wrote in message news:OwiWKS0pFHA.1948@...

Newbie, accnts. payable & accnts.receivable sample DB
Hi guys, I�m running access 2003, windows xp pro SP2 I've been commission in my work to do a small application to track and report the accounts payable and accounts receivable movements, I'm not an accounting savvy person :(, does anyone know of a link or sample access database that can help me with the basic structure of the tables and reports?, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

MFC memory leak, + return code help
Hi, I don`t use MFC often so maybe I`m asking a dumb question. I started noticing VC++6 reporting a memory leak when I ran the program in debug mode. Detected memory leaks! Dumping objects -> {27} normal block at 0x009A04C0, 33 bytes long. Data: < C > 00 43 00 CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD {26} normal block at 0x009A0510, 40 bytes long. Data: < |L > 14 7C 4C 10 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 Object dump complete. Strange thing is I`m getting the same error in many of my MFC programs. So I tried removing parts of my code bit by bi...

Visio Newbie
Hello all, this is my first time using Visio for drawing a floor plan and I have a quick question. Yesterday, (Using a tape measure) I mapped out the floor plan of an office my company might be moving into. I wrote everything down in Inches. Is there a way once I get a room shape kinda close to teh measurements, that I can manually type in teh length for each wall? if not in inches, at least in feet. For example, I have one wall that is 154 inches ( 12.83 ft) Then the next wall is 242 incehs( 20.1 ft) The opposite wall of the first measurement is 288 inches, third wall 100 inches, then 13...

all email comes in as duplicate! Help!
All of my incoming mail is coming in double. Ugh. I am very, very non technical. I use Outlook 2000, not Outlook Express, and am on Windows XP Professional. ...

Help with DDE
Hey All, i am using excel 2007, i am not an expert at all with coding. i am trying to capture DDE stock feed and record every change in the price cell into a growing column. so assume the DDE link will be placed at cell A1 and i am trying to get the Excel recording every change into say Colume C which will grow. i have already tried several other codes - but with all of them the problem was that when i plugged the DDE-- the code did not work from some reason. hope you can help me with that thank you, ron I think the best solution is to find out why the other Mac...

SUMPRODUCT formula help
I need help creating a SUMPRODUCT formula that will find numbers in A:A that are in between (or equal to) the criteria in cells M2 (low value) and M3 (high value). Then I need for it to look in B:B for values in between (or equal to) the criteria in N2 (low value) and N3 (high value). Then I need the number of times that both occur in the same row. For example; M2/M3 and N2/N3 = -84.5175 33.89 -84.44 33.955 Data in A:B = -84.379978 33.900357 -84.277411 33.900038 -84.467503 33.897839* -84.467503 33.897839* -84.248771 33.897616 -84.539292 33.896949 -84.498607 33.8966...

Help with fonts
I need a formula to find out: If I have a column with number of days and I want to change the font color for any that are older than 7 how would I do that? -- Deborah Motte If this is an Excel problem, ask in a forum or newsgroup that deals with Excel, but look up Conditional Formatting in Help. If this is a FrontPage (this newsgroup) problem: What is the source of the table? (Database? Hand constructed?) What language are you programming with (PHP, "classic" ASP, asp.NET, JavaScript)? -- Ron Symonds Microsoft MVP (Expression Web) http://www.rxs-enterprises....

Help! How do I change this back to a printed publication?
I have Publisher 98 and I was trying to save a file so that I could email a copy of my newsletter to one of my subscribers. She doesn't have Publisher, so I thought to save the file as an HTML file and mail it to her that way. Only now, I can't bring my file up on a two page layout view anymore. And I can't get it to print right either! Help! I just need it to go back to a regular publication but, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do it! Somebody, please help me! How do I undo this? You could make the page length longer to accommodate the two pages. Or...

please help
I need to populate alias with the vendor reorder number. Can anyone supply me with SQL query to do this? Thanks in advance Craig, Do a backup first!! INSERT INTO Alias (Alias, ItemID) SELECT SupplierList.ReorderNumber, SupplierList.ItemID FROM SupplierList WHERE SupplierList.ReorderNumber NOT IN (Select ItemLookupCode from Item) AND SupplierList.ReorderNumber NOT IN (Select Alias from Alias) DELETE Alias WHERE Alias IN (SELECT Alias FROM Alias WHERE Alias <> '' GROUP BY Alias HAVING COUNT(Alias) > 1) DELETE Alias WHERE Alias = '' -- * Get Secure! - www....

Exchange newbie problem
Hi all; A user on our domain was deleted when he should not have been. His mail box was not deleted. When his account was recreated, we tried to reconnect the old mailbox. But when selecting a user in the "Select a new user for this mailbox" dialog a message comes back saying that the user cannot be found. We tried several different users a none can be found even though they can get there mail just fine. We need to get the messages from this mailbox. Any ideas would be great -- Craig in the High Desert. craig@craignet.com But it's a dry heat. you should be able to reconnec...

C++ / Access Newbie
Hi Folks... I have a small commercial package written in C++ (targeted to Windows platforms) that uses its own proprietary database. We are just starting to investigate the option of replacing our database with a commercial package, such as Access or MySQL. Can anyone recommend informative reading that provides details on programming C++ with either of these two databases? At this stage we have no (any I mean ZERO) experience such programming. Any information would be helpful: recommendations for Access over MySQL (or vice versa), sources of such comparisons, licensing considerations, OD...

newbie
joining the group Hey Newbie where are you from and what versiona re you using? Fliehigh "cthomas23@hotmail.com" wrote: > joining the group > ...

HELP: Sheet embedded comboboxes
Hi all, I am assisting somebody with their excel project and they have a sheet with comboboxes in it. When a value is selected, it populates cells underneath, however when the data is freshly loaded, the cell underneath is given the value but the combobox does not update to this value. I have tried to click on the box to edit it, however no matter how many times i click i cannot seem to get it to recognise i've clicked. In other words, the resizing box does not come up and i have no right-click menu. All i can do is select from the drop down list without any editing of the proper...

Help with calculation #3
On sheet2 I have a list of dates where A1 is 01 Jan 2004, A2 is 01 Feb 2004 etc through to 01 Oct 2005, against each date is a column of figures. So A1 is the date and B1 is the volume. On sheet1 I want to have a formula that will calculate the total volume between 2 dates selected by the user, where D7 is the earliest date and D9 is the latest date. So after they have input the dates the volumes between those dates will be totaled and shown in E10.(They will only be able to input dates for the 1st of the month - so as to match the data held on sheet2.)As you appreciate there will be more tha...

Real Newbie newbie question
Hi All - I hope you can help me! I have Finepix M603 camera and although I take reasonable shots in daytime, I'm not able to produce anything at night. eg On The Thames on New Years Eve, may people were using digital cameras and their screens should clear bright picture - mine was black! What setting should I set on mine? Any advice really appreciated. --- David Scott Hampshire, England Wrong group. Sorry....... -- --- David Scott Hampshire, England "Dave" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message news:50kuejF1fh28sU1@mid.individual.net... > Hi All - I hope...

Help on SUM cells with formulas
At F199 I have the formula =SUM(F177:F198) but rows 177 to 198 contain formulas like =(+E180-E179) and F199 formula won't work. Do I need to extract correctly the values only? is it possible? Thanks much. Benjamin What exactly does "formula won't work" mean? What kind of return are you getting? No answer? - Wrong answer? - Error message? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! -------------------------------------------------------------------...

eConnect newbie
Hi, I've installed eConnect 7.5 and am planning to use this to read & write xml files to GP can anyone give me samples or examples of how to do this, also my company is planning to upgrade to GP 9 shortly are there major changes between each version? Thanks in advance. JimB If you've installed eConnect, then you have several samples already. They are located in the samples folder underneath the eConnect installation. The changes from 7.5 to 9.0 are fairly minimal. Mostly, there are new xml elements that can be included, but many of those are optional. It's my gue...

How to get the handle of a Help file belonging to other process.
Hi all, In my application,I want to change the Index of a HTMLHELP file which belongs to a dialog running in other exe.In order to do this I need to find whether the Help file is open or not & get the handle of that to use HH_DISPLAY_INDEX .Is there any way to do this?? Note: I dont want to use FindWindow() as it is giving rise to some problems in my application.. Thanks in advance ...

Run Integration Quicker-Newbie
I am running an integration to import sales orders for invoicing. I use several additional query criteria in IM, but I do not think these criteria are passed to SQL Server 2000. Instead, the records are returned, then the criteria are applied. The integration is taking quite a bit of time to run. Does anyone have an idea on how to pass the criteria to SQL Server, or any other ideas to increase the performance? Thanks. use a SQL Server View "Shannon LeVert" <slevert@aviagen.com> wrote in message news:06c701c46daa$fbad4100$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am running an in...

msgbox on close of form
Hello all (sorry if this post appears twice, i already sent a post but it has not showed up in the group) I want a msgbox to appear on the close of the form if the following is true, [status] = "engineered" and [bom] = "0" or [status] = "engineered" and [labour] ="0" the form should stay open until one of the above states changes. any help appreciated "Maax" <Maax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E01E720-DAFE-4340-B585-7881B539DBC0@microsoft.com... > Hello all (sorry if this post appears twice, i already se...

Inventory Transfer help
I think I need to to an inventory transfer. Here's the situation we received in loads of Pears. We receive two varieties (each has its own item #) but both varieties are coded to the same G/L code. At the time of receipt one load was entd as variety Bartlett but should be variety Mix. Is there a way to change items? I tried doing an inventory adjustment, but GP will not let me enter a price, (I get a message that I cannot change the unit cost for a decrease adjustment) it is using the unit cost calculated in the inventory module. Any suggestions? ...

Help with adding x-axis major gridlines
I'm trying to make a chart that will have small tick-marks along the x-axis for a fiscal week, and a long tick-mark separating the fiscal month. I think I'm not formatting the data properly in the worksheet. Any ideas? Use a Line chart with dates as the X values. Double click the X axis. On the Scale tab, set the X axis minimum to occur on the 1st of a month. Set the Base Unit to Day(s), the Major Unit to 1 Month(s), the Minor Unit to 7 Day(s). On the Patterns tab, choose whatever for Major Ticks and something besides None for Minor Ticks. Click OK. On the Chart menu, choose C...