Need help with this database

I'm building a database who's end goal is to calculate prices for different
projects.
My first table has a list of all the separate materials I'll be using and
the cost for that particular item (eg Nail, 2x4, plywood sheet, etc).  The
key value for that table is the Resource Name.  The second table has the
specific project names along with the qty of the materials from table 1.  The
main form for this table allows me to create a project, select building
materials from a predefined list, and add the quantities and everything
inputs into the table correctly there.  The Key value for that table is
Project.  I can't figure out if the next step is another form or query.  I
want to type in or select "Bird House" and have Access show the following:

Bird House
   Nails         x8      $0.40
   Plywood    x1      $1.20
   Varnish     x1      $3.50
          Total Price:  $5.10

I know if I was using Excel the formula would look something like this:

=SUM((B2*'Resource List'!B8)+(B3*'Resource List'!B11)+(B4*'Resource
List'!B12))

But I have no idea how to get that into an Access.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

If I understand correctly, just add both tables to your record source and
join on the primary and foreign fields. You can then create a calculated
column (or expression in a control source) that multiplies the quantity times
the cost.
--
Duane Hookom
Microsoft Access MVP

"Dan" wrote:

> I'm building a database who's end goal is to calculate prices for different
> projects.
> My first table has a list of all the separate materials I'll be using and
> the cost for that particular item (eg Nail, 2x4, plywood sheet, etc).  The
> key value for that table is the Resource Name.  The second table has the
> specific project names along with the qty of the materials from table 1.  The
> main form for this table allows me to create a project, select building
> materials from a predefined list, and add the quantities and everything
> inputs into the table correctly there.  The Key value for that table is
> Project.  I can't figure out if the next step is another form or query.  I
> want to type in or select "Bird House" and have Access show the following:
>
> Bird House
>    Nails         x8      $0.40
>    Plywood    x1      $1.20
>    Varnish     x1      $3.50
>           Total Price:  $5.10
>
> I know if I was using Excel the formula would look something like this:
>
> =SUM((B2*'Resource List'!B8)+(B3*'Resource List'!B11)+(B4*'Resource
> List'!B12))
>
> But I have no idea how to get that into an Access.
You need to modify the design of your tables:
TblMaterial
MaterialID
Material    (Nail, 2X4, Plywood Sheet, etc)
MaterialCost

Note in this table you must have a sepearate record for each size of a
material just as you buy it. For example, Nail is not good enough; you need
a record for each size of nail from Brad to Spike. The same for 2X4, if you
buy different lengths, you need a record for each length; 2X4X4, 2X4X8,
2x4X10, 2X4X12, 2X4X16 - you get the idea! Plywood comes in different
thicknesses and different sizes - you need a record for each of these.

TblProject
ProjectID
ProjectDescription

This is just a list of the projects you might build. You might over time
build two bird houses but for this table Bird House is one record.

TblProjectSize
ProjectSizeID
ProjectID
ProjectSizeDescription    (text field descriping the dimensions)

The two bird houses mentioned above become become two records in this table
because of the different sizes. You need TblProject so you can search your
database for all bird houses and you need TblProjectSize so you can identify
each size of birdhouse you could build.

Finally, you need a table to record the materials needed for each project
size in TblProjectSize:

TblProjectMaterial
ProjectMaterialID
ProjectSizeID
MaterialID
Quantity

You can set this all up either as a as-built project database or as a
project plan database. Either way the tables are the same - the difference
is in when you enter the data.

To get the display (form or report) in your example, you need a query that
includes TblProjectMaterial and other appropriate tables above and a couple
of calculated fields that determine the costs of each material (Quantity x
Cost).

If you need help setting up the database, I can help you. I provide help
help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a small fee. Contact me.

Steve
santus@penn.com

> I'm building a database who's end goal is to calculate prices for
> different
> projects.
> My first table has a list of all the separate materials I'll be using and
> the cost for that particular item (eg Nail, 2x4, plywood sheet, etc).  The
> key value for that table is the Resource Name.  The second table has the
> specific project names along with the qty of the materials from table 1.
> The
> main form for this table allows me to create a project, select building
> materials from a predefined list, and add the quantities and everything
> inputs into the table correctly there.  The Key value for that table is
> Project.  I can't figure out if the next step is another form or query.  I
> want to type in or select "Bird House" and have Access show the following:
>
> Bird House
>   Nails         x8      $0.40
>   Plywood    x1      $1.20
>   Varnish     x1      $3.50
>          Total Price:  $5.10
>
> I know if I was using Excel the formula would look something like this:
>
> =SUM((B2*'Resource List'!B8)+(B3*'Resource List'!B11)+(B4*'Resource
> List'!B12))
>
> But I have no idea how to get that into an Access.

0
Steve
3/26/2010 4:51:54 AM
This is only my second attempt at a database and I'm still not tracking. I
think it might have to do with the way my main table is laid out.  The fields
in the table are broken down like this:

Project  - Key
Material 1
Qty 1
Material 2
Qty 2
Material 3
Qty3
Material 4
Qty 4
Material 5
Qty 5

Is this table impractical and if so should I try to break it down?  As it it
right now, each material is selected from a drop down list taken from table
1.  I don't konw where to set up my relationship between the two tables.
Each of the materials directly pulls from table 1.

"Duane Hookom" wrote:

> If I understand correctly, just add both tables to your record source and
> join on the primary and foreign fields. You can then create a calculated
> column (or expression in a control source) that multiplies the quantity times
> the cost.
> --
> Duane Hookom
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>
> > I'm building a database who's end goal is to calculate prices for different
> > projects.
> > My first table has a list of all the separate materials I'll be using and
> > the cost for that particular item (eg Nail, 2x4, plywood sheet, etc).  The
> > key value for that table is the Resource Name.  The second table has the
> > specific project names along with the qty of the materials from table 1.  The
> > main form for this table allows me to create a project, select building
> > materials from a predefined list, and add the quantities and everything
> > inputs into the table correctly there.  The Key value for that table is
> > Project.  I can't figure out if the next step is another form or query.  I
> > want to type in or select "Bird House" and have Access show the following:
> >
> > Bird House
> >    Nails         x8      $0.40
> >    Plywood    x1      $1.20
> >    Varnish     x1      $3.50
> >           Total Price:  $5.10
> >
> > I know if I was using Excel the formula would look something like this:
> >
> > =SUM((B2*'Resource List'!B8)+(B3*'Resource List'!B11)+(B4*'Resource
> > List'!B12))
> >
> > But I have no idea how to get that into an Access.
Thanks Guys,  I think I have enough information to finish this up.  Or at
least get further along until I get stuck again.  I was definately trying to
do too much on one table.

"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message

> If you need help setting up the database, I can help you. I provide help
> help with Access, Excel and Word applications for a small fee. Contact me.
>
> Steve

Stevie is our own personal pet troll who is the only one who does not
understand the concept of FREE peer to peer support!
He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices.

These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft for FREE peer to peer support.
There are many highly qualified individuals who gladly help for free. Stevie
is not one of them, but he is the only one who just does not get the idea of
"FREE" support. He offers questionable results at unreasonable prices. If he
was any good, the "thousands" of people he claims to have helped would be
flooding him with work, but there appears to be a continuous drought and he
needs to constantly grovel for work.

Please do not feed the trolls.

John... Visio MVP

0
John
3/26/2010 10:54:56 AM

"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4980 (20100328) __________

http://www.eset.com

"Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息
> I'm building a database who's end goal is to calculate prices for
> different
> projects.
> My first table has a list of all the separate materials I'll be using and
> the cost for that particular item (eg Nail, 2x4, plywood sheet, etc).  The
> key value for that table is the Resource Name.  The second table has the
> specific project names along with the qty of the materials from table 1.
> The
> main form for this table allows me to create a project, select building
> materials from a predefined list, and add the quantities and everything
> inputs into the table correctly there.  The Key value for that table is
> Project.  I can't figure out if the next step is another form or query.  I
> want to type in or select "Bird House" and have Access show the following:
>
> Bird House
>   Nails         x8      $0.40
>   Plywood    x1      $1.20
>   Varnish     x1      $3.50
>          Total Price:  $5.10
>
> I know if I was using Excel the formula would look something like this:
>
> =SUM((B2*'Resource List'!B8)+(B3*'Resource List'!B11)+(B4*'Resource
> List'!B12))
>
> But I have no idea how to get that into an Access.

> signature database 4980 (20100328) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4980 (20100328) __________

http://www.eset.com

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Database problems in Vista
I have been using a database on my XP machine with Access 2007 without problems but when I run it on my Vista machine I cannot make any of the buttons on the switchboard work - I get the message: "The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or classs does not support the set of events!" I can run all the queries, forms etc from the database window. Is there something I need to do to make the switchboard buttons work? See: http://allenbrowne.com/bug-17.html Option 2 is probably the best general solution. -- A...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

Killing the off-line database
Having to kill the off line database to add new records seems a little extreme if you have to do it every day but thank you for the answer. I think they will should have a wireless connection anyway. I am sorry I really don't know how Windows wireless works. In any case what about Active Server pages? Is it secure for only a company intranet. Is there a way to only allow connections to the database via Active Server pages only from desinated IP's? Also, say the .mdb database is on a wireless network can those people still navigate through the network to get to the .mdb database. ...

need help badly

I need Help

Database backup whilst the POS is in use
I currently do my daily database backup during the night using a scheduled Windows task. The backup is copied to multiple hard disks on different PCs. I would like to do additional backups during the day whilst the POS is being used. Does RMS SO actually allow this or would I have to briefly shutdown the POS for the backup? I am on V2, SP2. Thanks for your reply. Yes, you can run backups while POS is running. You can even run backups when multiple manager programs are running. SQL server is built to handle many different concurrent connections. As another option, you can also use the c...

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...