Navigational Learning Curve

Why do I have to completely re-learn how to use Micro-Soft products every
time there is a new release?  I have become quite proficient at using Access
2003, but now I spend most of my time trying to figure out where things are.
Does the Easter Bunny work for you when he's not hiding eggs?  Can I make
2007 look like 2003?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

cwmagui wrote:

> Why do I have to completely re-learn how to use Micro-Soft products every
> time there is a new release?  I have become quite proficient at using
> Access 2003, but now I spend most of my time trying to figure out where
> things are.
> Does the Easter Bunny work for you when he's not hiding eggs?  Can I make
> 2007 look like 2003?

No you cannot.  Then of course there is nothing forcing you to use 2007
either.  If you prefer 2003 keep using it.

I only began switching my development from Access 97 to 2003 recently.  I
figure that means I won't have to move off of 2003 completely for quite some
time.
0
Rick
12/22/2009 3:45:46 PM

"cwmagui" <cwmagui@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why do I have to completely re-learn how to use Micro-Soft products every
> time there is a new release?  I have become quite proficient at using
> Access
> 2003, but now I spend most of my time trying to figure out where things
> are.
> Does the Easter Bunny work for you when he's not hiding eggs?  Can I make
> 2007 look like 2003?

The user interface had been, on the whole, quite consistent in Access since
version 1, in 1992, through Access 2003. There was a long, very long video
available at one time of a presentation at a conference explaining the
development of the ribbon user interface. Whether one agrees with the
reasoning behind the Ribbon is another issue and whether in the reasonably
long run, it will save the customer company money. I do not have any clients
that were willing to invest in the employee retraining and lose the
second-nature expertise their employees have, so none moved to 2007. I
understand you do not have that option.

As far as I have been able to determine, the Easter Bunny is not employed by
Microsoft. (Neither, by the way, am I, nor are most of the people who answer
questions here.)

Microsoft purposely did not provide a way to use the "classic" menu user
interface with Access (nor Word, nor Excel) 2007.  There are some
third-party software add-ins that simulate the menu interface, but I have
not used any of them.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry

Navigating through cells
I want to create a form and want to skip cells: Like navitgate from A1 to F8 in one stroke. Can I do that? Gram I think you want the form to just be a spreadsheet. In that case select the celss that you want to re-use for data entry and choose, Format, Cells and on the protection tab deselect the Locked checkmark and click OK Now choose Tools, Protection and protect the worksheet. You should be able to use the Tab key to jump between data entry cells. Now save the workbook. Remember that if you apply a password it is Case Sensitive and you will be unable to use the worksheet if you...

Application navigation
1.Whenever i navigate my MFC application to another application ,all dialog boxes are displaying in another application also.My dialog box style(property) is popup if i make style property as CHILD it is not at all displaying. How can i solve this problem. 2. Once i minimise my MFC application If i try to maximize by clicking or pressing alt + tab my MFC application is not maximising , i used OnActivate event in frame window inside i have handled WA_ACTIVE and WA_CLICKACTIVE. 3.To refresh my application how can i get all control hanles for example frame window, dialog box etc. ...

Open in New Window from Navigation Pane
Right clicking on Calendar button, selecting "open in new window" I am unable to set the new window to open maximized or at least fill the screen. Many attempts at closing the window to save settings; shift + X, space bar + close, etc yield no results. New window currently opens so small as to be unreadable. -- John Set the main Outlook window to it's prefered size in Normal size and use CTRL+X to force the save of the windowsize. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slips...

Can i edit layout of the "Navigation Pane" #2
I would like to specifically remove the "favourites folder" section as well as the "Buttons" by the bottom and just simply have the folders structure... Can this be done? FYI, Outlook 2003 SP2 Cheers, It's OK.. Based on the searches i have done, looks like you cannot remove these options.. Cheers, vwboss@gmail.com wrote: > I would like to specifically remove the "favourites folder" section as > well as the "Buttons" by the bottom and just simply have the folders > structure... > > > Can this be done? > > &g...

Navigation problems
This is embarrassing to write, because I am the go-to guy in our office for almost everything, and I have something I can't solve myself. At home, I have Excel 2002, but at the office, I have Excel 2003. For some unknown reason, I am having problems navigating my spreadsheets. I am an old, old DOS veteran, who is used to keyboard shortcuts, and in one, I am entering a series of values, with the cursor set to jump to the right after each {enter}. At the last, I expect to hit {home} and go to Column A. Unfortunately, in this application, {home} seems to mean "go to upper left h...

Bell Curves #2
I am looking to graph a bell curve for a set of numbers. I did not find anything undertemplates ot one of the listed charts. If anyone has a template or can direct me to where I may find instruction on programing a bell cure i would appreciate it. "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FDD5300E-757F-4550-A172-5E711C86029C@microsoft.com... >I am looking to graph a bell curve for a set of numbers. I did not >find > anything undertemplates ot one of the listed charts. If anyone has a > template or can direct me to where I may find ...

Navigating to User and Group Accounts security from a button
I would like to navigate to the User and Group Accounts security dialog from a button on a form. Anyone know how to do this? Running MSA 2007 on Windows XP Pro Thanks! On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:25:01 -0800, Earthman <Earthman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: RunCommand acCmdUserAndGroupPermissions -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I would like to navigate to the User and Group Accounts security dialog from >a button on a form. Anyone know how to do this? > >Running MSA 2007 on Windows XP Pro >Thanks! ...

drawing curves
I am trying to draw a curve following this Publisher Help: < On the Objects toolbar, click AutoShapes , point to Lines, and then click Curve . In the publication, click where you want to start the curve, and then continue to click wherever you want to add a curve. Do one of the following: To complete a shape, leaving it open, double-click. To complete the shape by closing it, click near its starting point. > I follow these instructions but I can't get it to work. I expected to get a curve which would have a centre point that I could drag into the curve shape I want. Where am ...

Event(s) w/ Navigation Buttons
Are there form events tied to using the form navigation buttons? I have code, that I need run against each record, for dynamic presentation. Is there an event I can use, or do I need to create my own navigation buttons? Thanks, in advance. Sharkbyte Hi Sharkbyte, Form_Current On May 23, 3:31 pm, Sharkbyte <sharkby...@hotmail.com-> wrote: > Are there form events tied to using the form navigation buttons? > > I have code, that I need run against each record, for dynamic presentation. > Is there an event I can use, or do I need to create my own navigation buttons? > ...

Navigation panes
When I use the navigation panes, all of them (Home, Financial, etc) work except for HR & Payroll. When HR & Payroll is clicked, the large pane on the right does not change. It stays at the Home page or whatever pane you had open previously. The section above the home button has the HR & Payroll reports section but that is all. Does anyone else have this problem? And is there a fix? Bob, you are having some Navigation -Pains- like many of us who have installed version 10.0, build 1061. HR & Payroll doesn't work, no. I understand when you click on the HR & Pay...

CListCtrl Navigation
Dear All I have a CListCtrl with a CImageList containing bitmaps. These bitmaps are displayed in LargeIcon View in the List Control. I want that the user should be able to use the keys like left, right, up, down, pgup,pgdown, home, end etc. to move through the images contained in the List Control. for e.g. if I am on the last item in the row, the right arrow key should take me to the first item of the next row... How do I provide this kind of funtionality.... any help would be greatly appretiated... Thanks in Advance... Manoj Singh ...

Task Views in Navigation Pane
I have created a number of custom task views that reside in the navigation pane. However there appear to be no rhyme or reason as to the order they are in. If I create a new view sometimes it inserts it at the bottom, sometimes in the middle and so on. How do I change the order so they are in some meaningful order for me? I have tried dragging and dropping, I have looked under View>Current View>Define Views but cannot find anything. I've tried searching Google too but unfortunately any search on task views brings back thousands of hits on views in the main pane, but not t...

Navigation
I find the navigation annoying, is it possible to go to the last page or type a page number in, like in publisher 98? Cheers Hi Stuckie (Stuckie@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I find the navigation annoying, is it possible to go to the last || page or type a page number in, like in publisher 98? Which version of Publisher are you using? If you are using Publisher 2002/2003, you can use CTRL+G -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no r...

Navigating the Registry
Anyone any ideas on how to navigate through the registry ? For example if I have a subdirectory "Projects" with a variable number of subdirectories off of it then how do I access these subdirectories given that I don't know their names in advance ? CRegKey doesn't have any support for this. I guess I'm after a registry equivalent of CFileFind. TTFN, Jon You can use RegEnumKey(Ex) to get all of the subkeys below a given key. Likewise, you can use RegEnumValue to get all of the values of a given key. "Jon Evans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.co...

CRM should allow users to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=b3ebf58b-8445-45ed-9a00-392b53840477&dg=microsoft.public.crm Gretchen, Actually CRM does all users to use Keyboard sho...

Navigation Page
I am completly new to Word 2007 - In Excel 2007 I can put a number of buttons on the page with descriptions - when the button is clicked it runs a Macro that is connected to it - is this possible in Word 2007 Hi, In Word 2007, you can add macros to the Quick Access Toobar. For details, see the section "Add Macro to the Quick Access Toolbar (Word 2007)" in Graham Mayor's article at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm . -- Hope this helps, Pesach Shelnitz My Web site: http://makeofficework.com "Nylex" wrote: > I am completly new to W...

record Navigation Control 11.0
How does one bind the form's data to the Microsoft Office Record Navigation Control 11.0. I inserted the control onto my form but all is disabled. Thanks, James ...

Plot the undulation curve and also to know rate of undulation
I'm working on a excel sheet where I need to plot a ground profile from the input distance vs elevation (x vs y). Now I need to give the starting point elevation and end point elevation with the rate of undulation which will produce the same as in normal chart with all the data from starting point to end points. ...

Navigation Pane customizations applicable to user class or role
The customizations made in the Navigation Pane area, such as shorcuts, specific windows combinations to follow a workflow, links, other programs access links, etc. should be available or applicable trough user classes or roles in the user setup. This could make deployment easier, given the fact that some user groups have the same shared sets of shorcuts and workflow (used windows and functionalities in the program) definitions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the &...

IWebBrowser2 navigate
Could someone tell me how to call the IWebBrowser2 Navigate function such that it DOES NOT use the cache to load the URL? I'm having trouble forming those variant params. You can force the WebBrowser control and WebBrowser application to redownload a page by using the IWebBrowser2::Refresh or IWebBrowser2::Refresh2 method to ensure that you are viewing the most current version of the page. Also, you can disable the cache from being used by specifying the navNoReadFromCache and navNoWriteToCache flags when calling the IWebBrowser2::Navigate or IWebBrowser2::Navigate2 method. -- Command ...

No scroll bars show up on custom navigation pane window
I edited the ISV.congif file to display an extra option on the navigation bar which displays a web page. When I run the page alone it contains scroll bars since it all doesnt fit in the small window but when CRM opens the entity it just displays the web page with no scroll bars. In Mike Snyder's book, when he does it, I see scroll bars. Anything I am missing here? Any ideas? Thanks Hi Ron, Whether the scrollbars are displayed or not depends on the winparams used to open the custom page. WinParams="height=500,width=600,toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes" ...

E-learning that I don't agree with
Hi! We have this question Match the following features with the correct options. The correct answer is 3A 1B 2C 4D 1. Improves performance with strings to make .NET Framework applications efficient. 2. Does not let you change the value of a string after it is assigned to an object. 3. Helps you handle strings efficiently. 4. Converts the string value contained in the StringBuilder class to a string A. StringBuilder class. B. String interning. C. Immutable strings. D. ToString method. I do agree with 2C and 4D but the other two is difficult. I mean a StringBuilder ...

Cell Navigation
how can i force cell navigation in a specific order via the tab key? i have done this before but it has been a while and i can't remember how i did it. thanks for helping. Lock all cells on a sheet (they are by default). Then unlock the cells you want to be able to automatically navigate to, and Protect the sheet, unchecking the option permitting users to select Locked cells. I hope that's what you're looking for. "LaDonna" wrote: > how can i force cell navigation in a specific order via the tab key? i have > done this before but it has been a w...

Any tips. leads for learning book cover design?
I was just writing with someone who has a book publishing company, (publishing on demand once it's set up by the writer) who mentioned sub contracting out the cover designs. If the person submitted their own book cover, they took off $175. I asked her about this, did they take submissions, buy from freelancers, etc? She said they don't need anyone right now, but I'm welcome to send my resume and sample book covers I've designed (LOL) Well, I do a lot in PhotoShop (and digital photography) and have designed and printed notecards, business cards and some booklets (for ...

Want to Display Most Recently Entered Record in Access 2003 Language Learning App
Hi all, I'm new to Access. I've got a good bit of VBA under my belt, but I've been using it in Excel, so I'm a bit lost in all this new functionality. Anyway, I'm trying to build an application to help me study Romanian. I have a table, Phrases! as follows: Phrases Phrase ID AutoNumber unique identifier LearningSession Number convenient way to group phrases for study Entered Date/Time the date and time the phrase was entered Source Memo textbook, page number, etc... (or "Mom said it") Romanian Memo the phrase in Romanian English ...