MSAccess2003 and Vista

I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front
end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been
using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had
difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the
_be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP
machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few
tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or
so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but
the result is just the same. All the latest patches and SP's have been
applied according to the administrators.

Can anyone help me with the possible problems between Vista and Access 2003.

I would like to be able to reformat the new laptop to use WinXP but am told
by the hardware guys that only Vista drivers are available for the laptop.
How frustrating!!!!

John B.

0
John
5/24/2007 7:07:35 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Everyone please note that Aaron  Kem.pf is attempting to impersonate one of
our regular posters again.  Tom would never post such a message.

HTH.
Gunny

See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs.
See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials.
Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com
http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact
info.

"John Baker" <johnbaker@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front
>end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been
>using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had
>difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the
>_be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an
>XP machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few
>tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or
>so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times
>but the result is just the same. All the latest patches and SP's have been
>applied according to the administrators.
>
> Can anyone help me with the possible problems between Vista and Access
> 2003.
>
> I would like to be able to reformat the new laptop to use WinXP but am
> told by the hardware guys that only Vista drivers are available for the
> laptop. How frustrating!!!!
>
> John B.

0
Tom
5/24/2007 6:02:32 PM
On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:02:32 -0800, "Tom Wickerath"
<tom_wickerath@hotmail.com> wrote:

That's one lie, Aaron: you're Aaron K.empf, not Tom Wickerath.

>I'd reccomend moving to ADP
>
>Jet / DAO isn't supported on vista

And that's another lie. It is.

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
5/24/2007 6:21:50 PM
So John W. Vinson [MVP] do you have any ideas where I can find a solution to
my Access 2003 and Vista problems?

John B

> On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:02:32 -0800, "Tom Wickerath"
> <tom_wickerath@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's one lie, Aaron: you're Aaron K.empf, not Tom Wickerath.
>
>>I'd reccomend moving to ADP
>>
>>Jet / DAO isn't supported on vista
>
> And that's another lie. It is.
>
>             John W. Vinson [MVP]

0
John
5/25/2007 12:36:22 AM
John Baker wrote:
> I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front
> end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been
> using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had
> difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the
> _be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP
> machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few
> tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or
> so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but
> the result is just the same. All the latest patches and SP's have been
> applied according to the administrators.
>
> Can anyone help me with the possible problems between Vista and Access 2003.
>
> I would like to be able to reformat the new laptop to use WinXP but am told
> by the hardware guys that only Vista drivers are available for the laptop.
> How frustrating!!!!
>
> John B.

I like and use http://www.driverguide.com

Membership is free, but they foist a lot of advertisements on you.
After I've downloaded several drivers I usually buy something from one
of their advertisers.  The last thing I bought was a tool for backing up
all the drivers on a computer.

James A. Fortune
MPAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
James

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

Favorite feature about Vista
The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look better. I sent a message to Laredo Community College and I CCed Alejandra, so I hope Alejandra gets the message that this is not email. "Alejandra Contreras" <i1405104@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:uY2t40AsKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. > It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look > better....

If I get 'access denied' one more time with Vista I am going to go to Linux : I hate Vista, I despise Vista. I absolutely hate Vista!
From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not buy Windows 7, maybe never. "U S Army Veteran" <someone@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7Wdnfh2e4m3HYPWnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d@giganews.com... > From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not > buy Windows 7, maybe never. Sounds like you are too stupid to use Windows. You are a perfect candidate for that crappy Ubuntu. Get with Alias, he will be happy to get another user. Don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out On Tue, 08 Dec 2...

Publisher using Vista Home Basic
I am using vista home basic and have installed Office Home & Student plus Publisher 2007. Initially in Publisher I was able to access all options of template but after changing the business logo I can only access flyers and blank pages. I have uninstalled both programs and reinstalled but still have the same problem. Would appreciate feedback. What happens if you delete the logo out of the Business Information, can you access the other templates? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Deidre" <Deidre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF1B7F85-3...

Installing an "Startup on Login" App on Vista or Windows 7?
To install a .NET app on XP so that it launches when the user logs in, all you had to do was add a folder named Startup to the User's Programs Menu object the Setup project's file system, and create a shortcut in that folder that runs the app's primary output. This does not seem to work with Vista or Windows 7, apparently due to the different location on the disk for the Start menu folder tree. What's the trick to get this to work on either XP, Vista or Windows 7? ...

MSAccess2003 and Vista
I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the _be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but ...

Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script ?
I would like to use Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script, IF the laptop changes from A/C power to Battery power. and I want a second task to monitor when the laptop returns from battery to A/C power. I need help, I can not determine what settings to use once I select event as my triggers. Can any one help ? ...

Outlook 2007, Vista and Unread Mail
Unread Mail no longer displays the number of new unread mails; instead, folders with new mails are displayed in bold. But when I click on Unread Mail, I can read the mails that are new. How can I get Unread Mail to display the number of Unread Mails, and the folders containing new emails to NOT be displayed in bold? -- Thanks, John Hi John, What happens if you right click on the Unread Mail folder and click properties? Is the "Show number of Unread Items" radio button selected? -- Benjamin Gay [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confe...

reports not opening in Multiuser MsAccess2003
I have 3 tables, and I split them to a central PC , so the users are using only the front end via MDE. These tables are being updated from the end-user using a form that logs them in and then update their daily tasks (what they achieved every day) For me as administrator I have a problem in opening the Reports, if the users are working at the same time, i cannot open the reports it gives me the following message: "The database engine could not lock table 'LoginTable" because it si already in use by another person or process." The reports would never work unl...

Vista SP2 hangs at black screen
I have Windows Vista Home Basic SP2 on Dell Inspiron 1525. It used to work fine, but recently when we tried to reboot, it hangs at black screen. I tried to open "Advanced Boot Options" menu by pressing F8, but still it doesn't show any menu and hangs at black screen. I also tried to boot the computer by inserting the Windows Vista SP1 CD but still no luck. It also hangs at black screen. I am stuck now, pls suggest as how to get into Safe mode or to "Last known good configuration" option, to atleast try something. Thank you. -- sam545 "...

CAsyncSocket on vista
We have a Windows service which is a part of our product which uses CAsyncSocket to communicate with another EXE running on the same machine. I have used VC++6.0 to compile the code for the both the service as well as the EXE. The interprocess communication works fine on Win XP, Win2000, and other versions of Windows for the last 5 years. I compiled the programs on Windows Vista using VC++ 6.0. The 'win32 debug' configuration build seems to work fine. However in the 'Win 32 release' configuration build, the socket communcation fails. I ran the service using a debugger, ...

filter driver & embedded signature in vista-64
Is it possible to embed a signature in my x64 class filter driver? If so, does this eliminate the need to distribute an associated catalog file? Thanks dmm If the driver is installed using an INF file, then a signed security catalog file is required. Legacy (non-PnP) drivers that do not use an INF file are signed by signing the driver binary. IIRC boot-loaded drivers must have the driver binary signed - possibly in addition to having a signed security catalog file. Good luck, Thomas F. Divine "dmm" <dmm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Vista Upgrade
Hello... when I attempted to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista I experience the following problems. But the hardware compatibility I have met. Now the problems: - Ran the DVD and attempted a basic upgrade _corrupted file at 80% of install from DVD~are versions used was 32-bit -" " basic upgrade_fail -" "full installation_fail - finished the installation and rebooted but did not upgrade returned back to windows XP -" "finally ...

Dynamics 9 SQL2005 Vista Dexterity Runtime stopped Working
I can't seem to get the dynutils to even initiat without a "Dexterity Runtime has stopped Running". it will open the login window, but then craps out almost immediately. The only help is a dump file that I can't read without my special Bill Gates glasses. Anybody else getting this proble? Hi Greg There is a known issue, due to be fixed in v9.0 Sp3. Un-install your v10.0 client (leave the data alone) temporarily while you run v9.0 utilities. Then re-install the v10.0 client. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Mic...

Anybody installed Visual Studio 6.0 on Vista?
I still use Visual Studio 6.0 (Enterprise Edition), specifically VC++ part of it. I tried to install it on Vista, but then I decided to cancel the installation when Studio wanted o change Java settings. I do not want it to corrupt Vista. Does anybody know of any installation problems? I am aware that Vista provides a message before Studio installation is run warning that Studio has some compatibility issues with Vista but I assume all older programs have some compatibility issues with Vista. On 15 Feb 2007 14:06:57 -0800, maruk2@hotmail.com wrote: >I still use Visual Studio 6.0 (Enterp...

Vista
Is RMS 2.0 compatible with Vista? hi, Yes I installed it and its work excellently without any issue. "Sachafav" wrote: > Is RMS 2.0 compatible with Vista? ...

Vista Compatibility Assistant? Vista Compatibility?
When I test installed our product (a text editor) on my new Vista laptop, after one of the installs I got a message, "Program Compatibility Assistant: This program might not have installed correctly. If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows." and choices: "Reinstall using recommended settings" or "This program installed correctly". There was also a link at the bottom of this message window, "What settings are applied?" Clicking on that link gave me "Program...

Who is it that Vista thinks is denying access???
I need to look in *my* application data folder, but stupid Vista says "access denied" Not only is it *my* own profile - i am also an administrator Who is it that Vista thinks is denying??? Is this just another Vista cock-up or is there something i'm missing?? If it's named "Application Data", then it's either a left-over from XP or a junction point (which you can't open). Vista uses a new "AppData" folder under your user folder. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "...

Path Name is invalid with Vista upgrade
Almost had a heart attack when I went to close Money 2006 and got a message stating the path name was invalid. The error message occurred when it tried to backup the money file as is the case with the option set to automatically backup. Anyway, to save anyone who will likely experience the same problem when they upgrade from XP to VISTA, the solution was to simply click the SETTINGS button on the backup prompt, then you'll notice that the path to the backup says "Documents and Settings" which is a virtual folder on Vista. Money 2006 does not see this folder but Vista supports it...