MS Access 2007, Vista, network performance

I have a Vista Ultimate machine running Access 2007; this hardware
previously ran XP Pro with Access 2003. Now that I've upgraded, I've
found that I can't use even small Access MDBs that are stored on a
network share, while the same MDBs copied to local storage seem fine
(although slower than I remember with the old setup).

These MDBs are still in 2003-format, and don't seem to have any problem
being opened on the same network with XP/Acc2003 or even XP/Acc2007.
Clearly, I think my issues are Vista-related.

Although I'd love someone to respond with "here's how you fix it", I'd
be happy enough to find out that others are having the problem and that
MS is trying to figure it out.

My share is a Windows 2000 Server (SP4a) that is a domain (Windows
2003-native) member, and I have full permissions to the share and the
volume/files.
0
Jim
4/11/2007 1:52:49 AM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

i don't want to sound dumb.. but how in the hell can you have a
windows 2003 native network on windows 2000?

just had to ask

On Apr 10, 6:52 pm, Jim Millard <millar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Vista Ultimate machine running Access 2007; this hardware
> previously ran XP Pro with Access 2003. Now that I've upgraded, I've
> found that I can't use even small Access MDBs that are stored on a
> network share, while the same MDBs copied to local storage seem fine
> (although slower than I remember with the old setup).
>
> These MDBs are still in 2003-format, and don't seem to have any problem
> being opened on the same network with XP/Acc2003 or even XP/Acc2007.
> Clearly, I think my issues are Vista-related.
>
> Although I'd love someone to respond with "here's how you fix it", I'd
> be happy enough to find out that others are having the problem and that
> MS is trying to figure it out.
>
> My share is a Windows 2000 Server (SP4a) that is a domain (Windows
> 2003-native) member, and I have full permissions to the share and the
> volume/files.

0
aaron
4/11/2007 4:47:32 AM
On Apr 10, 9:47 pm, "aaron.kempf@gmail.com" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > My share is a Windows 2000 Server (SP4a) that is a domain (Windows
> > 2003-native) member, and I have full permissions to the share and the
> > volume/files.
>
> i don't want to sound dumb.. but how in the hell can you have a
> windows 2003 native network on windows 2000?
>
> just had to ask

Because a Windows 2003 Native domain only requires that the servers
responsible for the AD be Windows 2003, not all the members of the
domain.  I don't think he said anything about the Windows 2000 Server
being anything other than a file server.

0
jaydeflix
4/11/2007 5:39:32 AM
jaydeflix@gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 10, 9:47 pm, "aaron.kempf@gmail.com" <aaron.kempf@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>> My share is a Windows 2000 Server (SP4a) that is a domain (Windows
>>> 2003-native) member, and I have full permissions to the share and the
>>> volume/files.
>> i don't want to sound dumb.. but how in the hell can you have a
>> windows 2003 native network on windows 2000?
>>
>> just had to ask
>
> Because a Windows 2003 Native domain only requires that the servers
> responsible for the AD be Windows 2003, not all the members of the
> domain.  I don't think he said anything about the Windows 2000 Server
> being anything other than a file server.

You are correct. Active Directory is a database, and the schema versions
  have changed with the updates from NT4-compatible domains to
2003-native domains.

he's trying to give as complete a picture as possible of the way file
sharing is handling security on his network; the 2003-native domain also
implies that he's using IP (instead of IPX or netbeui; not likely but
possible).
0
horseradish

Access & XML
Anyone know of a decent Training Site for using XML w/ Access? A Client is willing (pay the cost) to send me to XML Training. I would be using SQL Server & Cognos (perhaps Oracle) XML Tables into Access. Then automating Reports to Excel. TIA - Bob ...

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

MS Outlook 2007

MS Exange connection

Money Plus Hangs at startup on Vista
I've tried installing both the Deluxe Trial edition and the full Deluxe install version from the (purchase) download site. In all cases, Money doesn't crash (as might be expected with DEP), it hangs after performing 18 I/O reads and 3 I/O writes. No splash screen or anything. I've tried everything I could find in this discussion group, but no go. It's not related to a Money file because a) I'm not even getting nearly that far, b) I've tried opening the sample one anyway. I've turned on SSL 2.0 and TLS 1.0 off. I never touched DEP, but turned it complete...

Brand New to OL 2007
Is there a way to subscribe to some of the conversations here using OL 2007? I have recently found these discussion pages and am reeling from all of the info, but do not want to go to the MS web site every time to look for something. I am new to the whole RSS, newsgroup thing, but learning every minute. You can subscribe, but it doesn't always notify you. Better is to use an NNTP client to read the groups. You can mark threads to watch or drag them to a mail folder (in OE) to review later. If a thread has an answer and you want to save it, create a folder in Outlook then copy a...

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

How do i access microsoft excel on windows xp? #2
I recently purchased a pc that came with windows xp home. I thought the microsoft excel programme would come with it, but i can not find it anywhere. Does this mean i have to purchase it seperately? Yes; or as part of Microsoft Office. "ayanda" wrote: > I recently purchased a pc that came with windows xp home. I thought the > microsoft excel programme would come with it, but i can not find it anywhere. > Does this mean i have to purchase it seperately? ...

MS CRM Certification question

publisher 2007 printing
I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders around text boxes. Any ireas?? brian wrote: > I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders > around text boxes. Check the website of your printer manufacturer for an updated printer driver. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org "brian" wrote: > I preview a page, it looks great, but it won't print any of the borders > around text boxes. > Any ireas?? Brian, Right Click on the text box and choose edit text box. There are choice...

MS Money 2005 Basics

Problem with TransferSpreadsheet in Access 2007
I'm having a problem with the TransferSpreadsheet method in Access 2007. The TransferSpreadsheet method is exporting a query to Excel, and it has been working fine under Access 2002. Under 2007, however, Access seems to truncate up some of the query column names, with the result that Access doesn't recognize them and prompts me for values for those columns. The problem is reproducible, occurring on the same columns every time. If I open the query directly the column names are fine and it exports to Excel with no problems; it seems to happen only with the TransferSpreadsheet meth...

exchange 2003 email access
Can I setup exchange 2003 clients to login to it as apposed to being authenticated by the DOMAIN? I have two domains in diferrent locations but want to share one exchange and accessed by IP address as apposed to the computer name. Thanks, Raul Rego rrego@njpies.org Can you explain what you're trying to achieve a little more? Are you trying to get users from domain A to access an exchange server in domain B? "Raul Rego" wrote: > Can I setup exchange 2003 clients to login to it as apposed to being > authenticated by the DOMAIN? > > I have two domains in di...

Copying an Entire Outlook Email in 2007 (Ctrl-F in Outlook 2003)
I recently upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007. When I created an email message in Office 2003, I could hit Ctrl-F and it would copy the entire email and create a duplicate of the original email. In Office 2007, when I hit Ctrl-F the find function opens. Is there any way to copy an existing email and create a duplicate but separate email in Office 2007? The alternative is to create a new email, copy the text in the original email and paste it all into the second email. This is much slower. Using a mail merge is not appropriate because I have to put a unique attached fi...

Vista is converting all my Winmail and Winlivemail to attachments
Bruce, thanks for your help. I accomplished the following: 1) I cleared the TEMP and TEMPORARY INTERNET folders. 2) I set the encoding to Western (ISO) in Internet Explorer. 3) I made sure that "Read All Messages In Plain Text" is NOT checked. I still have the problem. It must be related to Winmail or Vista on my PC since not only do the Inbox emails I receive show as attachments but, every saved email (Some years old) in ALL my folders also show as attachments when I try to open them. I cannot find any option in Winmail that might cause this other than ...

XPath performance
I got a question on executing the xpath. Can someone let me know which way is faster for the following two scenarios (one with XmlDocument and the other using XmlDocument.CreateNavigator())? XmlDocument doc = new XmlDocument(); doc.Load(input); 1. XmlNodeList nodes = doc.SelectNodes(xpathexp); 2. XmlNodeList nodes = doc.CreateNavigator().Select(xpathexp); The doc.SelectNodes is a convenience method that in turn calls this.CreateNavigator().Select(xpath) Note that XPathNavigator.Select returns an XPathNodeIterator and not an XmlNodeList and hence the doc.SelectNodes internally creates an...

MS Access

Access 2003 >> Access 2007 (Run-time error 2467)
Hi. I'm trying out how our access 2003 applications work in access 2007. Unfortunately, lots of forms refuse to open. Where the error occures is Form_Current event, which contains something like std = "SELECT ....." Me.Subform_Name![Field Name].RowSource = std The program reports an error: "Run-time error '2467': The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist." Anyone has any ideas how to fix this? Technically, that shouldn't work in Access 2003 either, but it wasn't quite as sticky about the syntax. To refer t...

Helo command rejected: Access denied
Hi all, I got a problem when i try to send message, the error message as below : Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: testing Sent: 29/7/2004 11:55 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'support@xxx.COM' on 29/7/2004 11:56 The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=xxx (HK) Lt;l=xxxEX01-040729035523Z-29495 MSEXCH:IMS:xxx(HK) Ltd.:TDHK:xxxEX01 3554 (000B09B6) 554 <xxxex01.xxx.com>: Helo command rejected: Access denied ...

Starting MS Outlook on startup
How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. > All you need to do is move the Outlook program icon to the startup group in XP. >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. >Double click My Computer, go into the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Place an Outlook shortcut into this folder and it will automatically startup when...

Access 2003 Report won't attach to an email message.
I have placed the following code behind a command button. DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "rptPO_EmailViewOnly", "HTML(*.html)", Forms!frmMain!sfrmPOMultiTAB!frmPOHeaderViewer!SupplierEmailAddress, "", "", "Purchase Order", "", True, "" The problem is once the email message is generated the report attachment is not added to the message. To try and fix the problem, I installed Office 2003 SP3. After that, the attachment worked but is not able to be opened, I get an error message "The operation failed due to network or ...

Restarting MS Money with a "correction" switch
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I currently use version 10 - 2002 Deluxe, and I need to startup MS Money = with a correction switch that I hope will correct some problems that I = have been having, but I can't seem to locate the post that talks about doing = this. Is it "msmoney.exe /s"? --=20 Russell (if replying, replace nospam with rpottharst) ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/html; c...